The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Heir Apparent

"Volunteer" is journalise. Prince Charles is responsible for the expenses of the "Wales" household - all 5 of them. This isn't a case of him being strong-armed as there will be an allowance. I would put money on the fact that she is operating well within it. And there will be additional expenditure this year because of the tour in September.

It's interesting that they are not going for the cost-reduction model of taking freebies and mega-discounts. Not getting drawn into the world of owing favours at any price.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
But the amount of public events = required wardrobe is very, very different.
Maybe that why some people are saying that Letizia doesn't dress appropriately.

Do you think Letizia should wear more high ended designer clothes like Valentino?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
If that is what the Duchess spends considering her very limited official duties, just imagine what other princesses spend on their wardrobes.
This article was from 3 years ago. I don't speak Danish, is this a tabloid?
Ekstra Bladet - Vildt forbrug tvang Frede til at fyre

Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche

Both Letizia and Kate fashion are pretty much high street.
You don't spend 35 grand on high street clothes. Her Jimmy Choo's and McQueen dresses aren't high street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade

For me the working wardrobe of one of the core royals should not be paid for privately.
She's not exactly a core royal right now. 35k on mainly McQueen outfits is too much to me.

You can't compare Letizia and Catherine particularly in fashion. One, Catherine is not a CP and Letizia does a lot more work.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Courtier

It's up to Prince Charles what he spends his money on. In the old days they were praised for spending own money instead of the Taxpayer now they can't even spend their own money!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
You don't spend 35 grand on high street clothes. Her Jimmy Choo's and McQueen dresses aren't high street.

She's not exactly a core royal right now. 35k on mainly McQueen outfits is too much to me.

You can't compare Letizia and Catherine particularly in fashion. One, Catherine is not a CP and Letizia does a lot more work.
I didn't say her McQueen outfits are high street, but most of what she wears are high streets

Anyways when is the press going to list the price of Beatrice and Eugenie Valentino, McQueen, Erdem, Louboutin's outfits for the public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
It's up to Prince Charles what he spends his money on. In the old days they were praised for spending own money instead of the Taxpayer now they can't even spend their own money!
They should borrow and takes freebies like celebs do and other European Royals are rumor to do
Old 06-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

If this information (Duchy of Cornwall accounts) is about to be published, then it is for the whole of the financial year 2011/2012 (April/March). This will include the clothes required for the trip to Canada and the US, as well as (I agree)the limited number of public events between September 2011 to March 2012. I'm surprised its only c.£35,000 as it includes 5 or 6 evening dresses. She has also worn clothes that she bought prior to the wedding (ie coat to Zara's wedding) and I assume she paid for those.

Diana never had to put up with this as it was mainly couture and there was more discretion about saying how much everything cost.

This is really about her not pulling her weight as a royal

Old 06-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Courtier

^So she should be out there more than William and Harry? (base on the official engagement tread she has been)
Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
^So she should be out there more than William and Harry? (base on the official engagement tread she has been)
I think she should.

Sorry for off topic comment but I think that this is the DM pushing the cost of Catherine in comparison with the work she does. IT's already been mentioned on here, the DM posts are saying it and (no surprise) the Daily Telegraph have also mentioned the cost and some posts are saying the same. The next thing will be "Is Kate value for money?"

I personally don't have a problem with the expenditure and I think its a fudge figure anyway because unless the Duchy itemises clothing in its accounts (which would surprise me) it could be the increase in overall expenditure yr on yr being translated as the cost of Catherine.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Letizia is a CP, Kate is not.

I wonder how many hand made suits, shoes etc will be covered by 35.000 GBP in Charles's clothing budget three or four?
So paying for Kate's clothes is like petty cash to him.
Plus, William seems to own only one suit, a tuxedo and a morning suit and that's about it. Since William isn't buying £3k suits every month Kate can choose some designer duds along with the high street stuff.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Courtier

Looking at last year annual review, I don't see anything mention about clothing of anyone so I doubt they would include it in this real release The Prince of Wales - Annual Review
Old 06-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Heir Apparent

The thought of DM Royal journalists interpreting accounts is intersting. They are the original 2+2 = 5

Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Nobility

I honestly don’t see why it’s anyones business how much Kate spends on her clothes. It’s not like the public pays for it. As far as I know Charles paid for it out of his own pocket. What they do with their own money is their concern.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I think she should.

Sorry for off topic comment but I think that this is the DM pushing the cost of Catherine in comparison with the work she does. IT's already been mentioned on here, the DM posts are saying it and (no surprise) the Daily Telegraph have also mentioned the cost and some posts are saying the same. The next thing will be "Is Kate value for money?"

I personally don't have a problem with the expenditure and I think its a fudge figure anyway because unless the Duchy itemises clothing in its accounts (which would surprise me) it could be the increase in overall expenditure yr on yr being translated as the cost of Catherine.
That's not why the DM is doing it. If that was the case they would mention the cost of William and Harry outfits, watch, wellies, etc. The DM would be pushing the cost even if she did has many engagement as the Queen.

And if she start doing more royal engagement than William the Daily Mail would be leading the charge of William is not fit to be King. They might even throw in a line about how Diana would be disappointed in him.

If some of the things about how much Princess Mary spend on clothes is to go by, by what is posted online than I doubt these post would change if Catherine start doing the same amount of engagement as Charles
Old 06-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Serene Highness

Why should we even care how much Kate, Eugenie and Beatrice spend on outfits. They are nice but prices ranging from low to high some aren't even available here in the US.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Heir Apparent

How much does she spend?

Old 06-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Plus, William seems to own only one suit, a tuxedo and a morning suit and that's about it. Since William isn't buying £3k suits every month Kate can choose some designer duds along with the high street stuff.
He must own multiple pairs of that blue suit. Since he wore it everyday on his Canadian tour, unless he sent it to the dry cleaners every night.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
I honestly don’t see why it’s anyones business how much Kate spends on her clothes. It’s not like the public pays for it. As far as I know Charles paid for it out of his own pocket. What they do with their own money is their concern.
Exactly, its not like she is running around spending a fortune at Armani, Prada, Valentino and Elie Saab. She wears British designers and British high street fashion. When she wears something copies of it almost immediately sell out thus boosting British fashion and retail sales. She looks good and is always appropriately dressed for the events she attends. Since her father in law is paying for it, as he does for the entire Wales branch of the BRF, it seems like much ado about nothing. Slow news day?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
Why should we even care how much Kate, Eugenie and Beatrice spend on outfits. They are nice but prices ranging from low to high some aren't even available here in the US.
I was just saying, if they are going to list the amount Catherine spend on outfits (which the annual review doesn't state, which mean the DM came up with that calculation themselves), than they should be consistent and list the cost for all the members of the BRF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Exactly, its not like she is running around spending a fortune at Armani, Prada, Valentino and Elie Saab. She wears British designers and British high street fashion. When she wears something copies of it almost immediately sell out thus boosting British fashion and retail sales. She looks good and is always appropriately dressed for the events she attends. Since her father in law is paying for it, as he does for the entire Wales branch of the BRF, it seems like much ado about nothing. Slow news day?
It's just the cycle of the press when it come to the Cambridge. It's goes, William and Catherine are feeling broody, Catherine is pregnant, Catherine recycle her shoes too much, Catherine apparently spend too much money, the public want William to be the next King, etc. Rinse, Wash and Repeat
Old 06-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Absolutely agree. It's too bad the media is so intent on stirring up resentment. Those who are referred to as jealous get very heated up about being accused of that but there is NO DOUBT that there is a segment of population that is truly disgustingly resentful. It must be a very unpleasant way to live and feel.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

A few designers have complained that Kate doesn't wear enough designer gear; that she should leave Zara alone and go much more upscale. Even the Daily Mail's own Liz 'sperm stealer' Jones wrote an entire article about how Kate should ditch the £185 LK Bennets for the £600 shoes of some up and coming British designer.

Kate has got a decent mix going at the moment. Some of it's high street, some of it's couture. She has repeated many of her outfits (much to the DM's annoyance), and even worn clothes that she's owned since long before her engagement. She hasn't done what some princesses have and simply bought almost the entire Prada collection every season. She doesn't have a dresser or a stylist and gets it right most of the time.

I think she's doing ok so far.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family