General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 'issue' with Camilla-and in my view an error- is as you say that she IS princess of wales- and once they bit the bullet and got married should have been known as such .then no need for William and Kate to be lumbered with such an ungainly title.

She is a Princess of the UK since she married a Prince of UK, but she's Princess William which isn't very flattering. British princes historically get a royal dukedom upon marriage which becomes the title they use.

Catherine is not a Princess of the United Kingdom,she's a Princess by marriage,infact she's not even a Princess in her own right.

British princess - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Felica said:
then no need for William and Kate to be lumbered with such an ungainly title.

Um, creating senior British princes Royal Dukes no later than their wedding day is a long established tradition. The only exception I can think of is Prince Edward who was created a Royal Earl on his wedding day coupled with the indication he would receive a dukedom in the fullness of time.

I never really called her Kate Middleton. I always refer to her as Catherine. Now that she's married to William, I still say Catherine or The Duchess of Cambridge. When referring to them both, I'll say Their Royal Highnesses, The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge, William & Catherine or The Cambridges.

Although Diana never really liked people to call her Princess Diana. I read that her friends would say that she used to correct those who called her that. I don't think Catherine mind though. She just received a gift (necklace) that say...Princess Kate in the Solomon Islands.

No matter what though people will call her Princess Kate or Princess Catherine, especially when she becomes HRH The Princess of Wales.

Perhaps some of the readers aren't very good at following the ball and might be scratching their heads about who the Duchess of Cambridge is.

Perhaps some of the readers aren't very good at following the ball and might be scratching their heads about who the Duchess of Cambridge is.

I have to admit that until I joined TRF I wouldn't have had a clue of what the proper titles were or that there was even a difference between title and style and I would have assumed that after marrying a prince, Kate would be Princess Kate to his Prince William. I think too that with there being a Duchess of Cornwall and Duchess of Cambridge, it would be so very easy for the general population to get them confused.

Talking about confusion, when Charles becomes King, William becomes Duke of Cornwall automatically but he has to be named Prince of Wales by his father. It will be interesting to see how long he takes to do so since Charles held that title for most of his life.

Talking about confusion, when Charles becomes King, William becomes Duke of Cornwall automatically but he has to be named Prince of Wales by his father. It will be interesting to see how long he takes to do so since Charles held that title for most of his life.

You make a good point here. The more I think about it, the logical train of thought is that Charles' reign will not be an overly long one. It may very well be possible that they will opt out of creating William the Prince of Wales and leave that be for William (when he becomes King) to create his first born as the Prince or Princess of Wales (depending on equal primogeniture passing into effect) therefore setting a new precedent for that title and role.

Charles definitely did not take the title Prince of Wales lightly and has by far given honor and service above and beyond what was expected of him. I think in the future it will not be just a title that is given by right of birth but also a role to grow into as a means of the heir apparent to prepare for the role as monarch. As the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge, I can see William stepping in and overseeing the Prince's Trust and stepping into his father's footsteps but I do think they just might wait for the next generation to create another Prince of Wales.

Just my off the wall thoughts.

You make a good point here. The more I think about it, the logical train of thought is that Charles' reign will not be an overly long one. It may very well be possible that they will opt out of creating William the Prince of Wales and leave that be for William (when he becomes King) to create his first born as the Prince or Princess of Wales (depending on equal primogeniture passing into effect) therefore setting a new precedent for that title and role.

Charles definitely did not take the title Prince of Wales lightly and has by far given honor and service above and beyond what was expected of him. I think in the future it will not be just a title that is given by right of birth but also a role to grow into as a means of the heir apparent to prepare for the role as monarch. As the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge, I can see William stepping in and overseeing the Prince's Trust and stepping into his father's footsteps but I do think they just might wait for the next generation to create another Prince of Wales.

Just my off the wall thoughts.

I think the chance of this happening is next to zero.

That would be a very odd decision, Osipi, and I don't see why you would think Charles would do that.

I think Charles would be a bit stupid to not give it to William. He already has enough people who are at the very least irritated with him. That would be poking the bear and when he is king I doubt he will want to do anything that will cloud the short time-span he will be the top man. Just my opinion...

I don't see how giving William another title on top of the numerous ones he'll already have, will irritate anyone. IMO the only people who get 'irritated' by Charles don't understand that he's actually trying to do some good.

I agree with Osipi in the way that William will already be heir, with two titles to his name, why does he need another one. He will just assume the role without the title, much like Camilla does nowadays.

Just wondering how this could happen. If Charles is King and William is the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge when William and Catherine have a child it is my understanding the child would take the lesser of it's father titles. Would that mean the child would be Duke or Duchess of Cambridge or how does that work.

DukeOfAster said:
Just wondering how this could happen. If Charles is King and William is the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge when William and Catherine have a child it is my understanding the child would take the lesser of it's father titles. Would that mean the child would be Duke or Duchess of Cambridge or how does that work.

As William will be The Duke of Cambridge until he becomes king, his son will inherit the lesser title of that dukedom, The Earl of Strathearn I believe.

But if Charles is King and William is the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge would the take child the Dukedom of Cambridge or would the Child take the Earldom of Strathearn

I think The Prince of Wales will follow with tradition and invest William as Prince of Wales when the time comes. I think the plans already in place to hand over the Principality over to William, also with the Duchy of Cornwall. I think it's already been mentioned that William attends or have attended the Duchy's meetings.

Also, the nice side of it is that Wales will have a new Princess of Wales. Although Camilla is the current Princess of Wales, she isn't formally acknowledged as such. I think it would be nice for the Principality to have a Princess of Wales again. Also, the Cambridges actually live in their future Principality.

DukeOfAster said:
But if Charles is King and William is the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge would the take child the Dukedom of Cambridge or would the Child take the Earldom of Strathearn

William is The Duke of Cambridge. It isn't his lesser title. His son will be The Earl of Starthearn, the lesser title of William's first Dukedom.

Dman said:
. Also, the Cambridges actually live in their future Principality.

Wales isn't a principality. It is a country. There has never been a constitutional basis to call it such.

Last edited:

I was actually thinking that William & Catherine's children would carry the Cambridge name. Like Prince ________ of Cambridge and Princess _______ of Cambridge. That is what will happen when William & Catherine become The Prince & Princess of Wales. Or is this different that William is second -in-line to the Throne?

William is The Duke of Cambridge. It isn't his lesser title. His son will be The Earl of Starthearn, the lesser title of William's first Dukedom.

Wales isn't a principality. It is a country. There has never been a constitutional basis to call it such.

I'm sorry, I meant to say country.

Dman said:
I was actually thinking that William & Catherine's children would carry the Cambridge name. Like Prince ________ of Cambridge and Princess _______ of Cambridge. That is what will happen when William & Catherine become The Prince & Princess of Wales. Or is this different that William is second -in-line to the Throne?

Two posts which explain it;

Sister Morphine said:
You're mostly right, but it depends on the gender of the children. If William and Catherine have children during the present Queen's reign, only their eldest son will have a title. He'd be HRH Prince X of Cambridge. All other children will be Lord/Lady X Cambridge. That's due to Letters Patent from George V. When Charles becomes King, all of their children then become HRH Prince/Princess X of Cornwall and Cambridge. When William becomes Prince of Wales, they'd be HRH Prince/Princess X of Wales, just like their father and uncle were.

It's really not confusing, it's just a matter of following the order of titles that William will eventually either inherit or be given. The next title up ahead is Duke of Cornwall, as that is immediately inherited upon the assumption of the new monarch. May he not see it for many more years, but still.

NGalitzine said:
A first born daughter, going by the 1917 Letters Patent, would be Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor (not Cambridge), although one would expect The Queen to raise her to HRH Princess X of Cambridge given recent discussions allowing a first born daughter to succeed to the throne ahead of later born sons.

It all depends on when they have children and what succession laws are in place and which LPs (if new ones have been issued) are in use.

The discussion about William's lesser title still stands, it is Earl of Strathearn and not Duke of Cambridge.

Lumutqueen, thanks for pointing that out.

I don't see how giving William another title on top of the numerous ones he'll already have, will irritate anyone. IMO the only people who get 'irritated' by Charles don't understand that he's actually trying to do some good.

I agree with Osipi in the way that William will already be heir, with two titles to his name, why does he need another one. He will just assume the role without the title, much like Camilla does nowadays.

IMO, I think the future King Charles would be wise to create William Prince of Wales before his coronation.
I have a 'feeling' that some of the Royal prerogatives that HM enjoys at the moment will be clawed back by parliament when Charles is King.
The Orders of the Garter and Thistle for example will have to be bestowed with 'ministerial advice'
If William is not created Prince of Wales then I think it will make the title almost impossible to grant to any of William's children. Once a tradition is lost I think it is almost impossible to revive especially in a modern constitutional monarchy where some of these grander titles may appear 'over the top' to some of the public.
Bestow the title on William or risk it falling into non-use in the future.
This is only my unlearned opinion and I defer to and respect the views of the more knowledgeable members.

IMO, I think the future King Charles would be wise to create William Prince of Wales before his coronation.
I have a 'feeling' that some of the Royal prerogatives that HM enjoys at the moment will be clawed back by parliament when Charles is King.
The Orders of the Garter and Thistle for example will have to be bestowed with 'ministerial advice'
If William is not created Prince of Wales then I think it will make the title almost impossible to grant to any of William's children. Once a tradition is lost I think it is almost impossible to revive especially in a modern constitutional monarchy where some of these grander titles may appear 'over the top' to some of the public.
Bestow the title on William or risk it falling into non-use in the future.
This is only my unlearned opinion and I defer to and respect the views of the more knowledgeable members.

I definitely see the point you are making here. However, I cannot see how in the future that the British parliament could ever take action as to deem who the monarch can or cannot bestow traditional titles to. In these matters, the monarch is the font of honor and has always been that way. For British parliament to be seen to step in and declare their need of assent for the monarch to bestow any title or honor, its practically telling the realm we don't need the monarchy at all now do we?

My point I was trying to make with perhaps Charles holding off and not creating William the Prince of Wales is for the reason that he knows that his reign will be a short one (the Queen is in good health and more active at 86 than this ol' granny here at 60) and could well be in his late 70s before he ascends the throne. Traditions DO mean a lot to Charles and the meaning behind them do also. I believe that Charles would see creating William as Prince of Wales to be a role that would be short lived for William. Almost as if granting a title as just something that is done. If he leaves it be for William to create his first born younger son or daughter with the title, the realm would have a Prince or Princess of Wales seen as a more meaningful role serving the people of the UK. The continuity of the role of PoW has meaning then. Charles himself is perhaps the longest PoW in history and has accomplished so much he's actually redefined the title into a role.

As I said, its just my off the wall thoughts and by no means am I stating that this is what Charles should or would do. It just makes a bit of sense to me as we see the monarchy moving ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom