General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The subtilties of the British English accents, and the way they change from generation to generation, are very difficult to pinpoint. Prince William, of course, speaks i clear standard upper class English. However, it is not the same accent as the Queen Mother or even the Queen has, as it has been influence by current Standard English. There is, however, no regional influence is PW's accent.

Catherine Middleton's accent has probably been honed by being at a good school, which will largely iron out any slight regional inflexion she might have had as a child. I don't know enough detail about her early life to be sure of what influences she may have had. It is, however, good standard English, and, on what I have heard, does not have any obvious regional accent.

The subtilties of the British English accents, and the way they change from generation to generation, are very difficult to pinpoint. Prince William, of course, speaks i clear standard upper class English. However, it is not the same accent as the Queen Mother or even the Queen has, as it has been influence by current Standard English. There is, however, no regional influence is PW's accent.

Catherine Middleton's accent has probably been honed by being at a good school, which will largely iron out any slight regional inflexion she might have had as a child. I don't know enough detail about her early life to be sure of what influences she may have had. It is, however, good standard English, and, on what I have heard, does not have any obvious regional accent.

I'd agree, to me she just sounds like received pronounciation, just the standard non-regionalised (or at least not immediately obviously regionalised) Southern English accent. And seeing as she's from Berkshire I think it's fairly safe to assume it's her "natural" accent she developed growing up. I mean it's not like she grew up in Newcastle & suddenly dropped a Geordie accent for RP ;)

I'm not a raving Kate fan, but this article is way cold. It might be true, it might not. I hope it's not. In the beginning I was hoping PW would drop her. He didn't and now I have nothing but good wishes for her success as a royal and as a wife, not necessarily in that order.

As for accent, when nervous, people tend to speak a bit differently than if they're playing cards with their best friends. I do a lot of public speaking in my job and almost every time I do, my pitch goes up and my speech gets a bit more clipped. You could never tell I was raised in rural Indiana and Cincinnati.

It's quite "cruel" article,maybe some things have truth ,but still there is too much hatred in this article.I am not a fan of Kate,but there are too many poisonous articles on her,exagerating her as a "social climbers",the other members of royal families were much more worse indeed.
I see in such articles poorely hidden "envie" and the desire to destroy "Kate's public image".Sometimes I have a feeling that someone in power has a lot of hatred against Kate.
Maybe I am wrong,this is my subjective opinion.

Hmmm, I guess I read the article differently. I saw it as sympathetic to Katherine and actually citing all the really nasty stuff out there. Being from across the pond (and we DO have our snobberies) I have to say that I find it humorous that so many of the comments from newspapers etc., are from people who are probably far lower down on the pole than Kate Middleton and her family. On the one hand, "she is lazy and doesn't work" and yet on the other "her family has a business" ala Jane Austen and "being in trade". IMO, she is no different than any other upper middle class english girl (though probably better educated) who seemingly is supported by their parents (and THEY are not criticized). The point being, this young lady can't really win and I just hope she doesn't even read the papers. Having been a part of an online "fan club" I see all the same types of comments put forth when the object of the fan base is dating/marries someone. Frequently, she may be universally despised. I recall seeing an interview with Donny Osmand years ago and his telling of the hate mail they resceived when he was married. There are so many different bases for complaint that is fascinating to watch. However, I found the writer to be sympathetic to her position, haha, maybe my mental capacity is slipping, but I only see the writer pointing out the nastiness directed at Kate, but then maybe most people don't really want to see that. All I know is quotes from "good friends" are always interesting. I hope her parents have figured out who their "friend" is. As to the biography, I will be passing on it as it sounds to me like a compilation of nasty comments, but then, maybe that is how this article has also been viewed. All I know is, I feel for KM and, as I said, I hope she doesn't read the papers.

I was appalled when I read the newspaper article which unfairly blasted Catherine. Anyone who marries a heir to the throne marries up regardless of what social class they come from, even if they are royal themselves. I wonder if the author is jealous of the royal couple.

Sometimes people in the press can say it's friends or good friends who told them this but a good friend wouldn't betray you. Sometimes it is their own opinion or how they see it rather than a close source but they will not say " This is what I think or this is how I see it," because this is your opinion rather what is actually fact. A lot of times what you think or how you perceive something may not be what's really the case or what's really going on. How many times has someone judged someone and they turned out to be wrong

It seems like they bash anyone who dates or marries royalty. It comes with the terrority. With anyone you can find fault with or find things about them that others don't like.

That's the way the article struck me as well. The writer is sympathetic to Kate on the basis of all the nastiness she has to deal with. Perhaps because the Daily Mail tends to be quite negative in general, it attracts posters who are negative as well.

Hmmm, I guess I read the article differently. I saw it as sympathetic to Katherine and actually citing all the really nasty stuff out there.

I think this is true of any famous person or in this instance, commoner who marries a royal. Jealousy and bitterness sometimes cloud one's ability to be objective about a person. We see Kate doing something that all little girls dream of doing (who doesn't want to be the Queen of England one day?) and the cattiness comes out. We call her names, insinuate she's a gold-digging opportunist, we make fun of the way she looks or how she talks, we believe any rumor that is printed about her.......it's what happens when you're on the outside looking in, and you want it to be the other way around.

She's living a fairy tale -- literally. That doesn't happen to everybody.

It's quite "cruel" article,maybe some things have truth ,but still there is too much hatred in this article.I am not a fan of Kate,but there are too many poisonous articles on her,exagerating her as a "social climbers",the other members of royal families were much more worse indeed.
I see in such articles poorely hidden "envie" and the desire to destroy "Kate's public image".Sometimes I have a feeling that someone in power has a lot of hatred against Kate.
Maybe I am wrong,this is my subjective opinion.

The author seems to feel sorry for Kate from what I read. Are you thinking he's being sarcastic?? I don't care for her myself but I don't hate her and there's no jealousy either. He's far too young for me and I wouldn't have shot in hell if I were his age.

I also read it like the reporter was criticizing the 'bitterness' towards Kate

I think this is true of any famous person or in this instance, commoner who marries a royal. Jealousy and bitterness sometimes cloud one's ability to be objective about a person. We see Kate doing something that all little girls dream of doing (who doesn't want to be the Queen of England one day?) and the cattiness comes out. We call her names, insinuate she's a gold-digging opportunist, we make fun of the way she looks or how she talks, we believe any rumor that is printed about her.......it's what happens when you're on the outside looking in, and you want it to be the other way around.

She's living a fairy tale -- literally. That doesn't happen to everybody.

x 2:)

[btw, off topic maybe, I must congratulate the members of TRF. Even if we don't agree in everything, the majority of people here seemed to be able to construct arguments around a thread. Far different from another forum that I had the displeasure of checking out. There you can definitely see bitterness and child-like comments. Jezz, I wonder if they know how stupid they look?! ]

well, her eyes are green, its on the hello website.

well, her eyes are green, its on the hello website.
Well, a friend of mine who had the pleasure to meet Kate in the real life (just to look at her,not speak) has revealed that her eyes are blue(dark)-green ,so mixed and not clearly green

Hmmm, I guess I read the article differently. I saw it as sympathetic to Katherine and actually citing all the really nasty stuff out there..

That's how I read it too. More of a criticism of the people who are being unkind to Kate

Wow she is tall! Didn't she also do some work in the same place PW went in Chilli before/after him (this is before they were dating I believe)?

Yes, just months apart. In one of those programs aired days after the announcement, a former leader of the expedition talked about them.

I think the writer is rather loose on the "facts". According to many other reports....

Kate is 5'10" not 5'11". The same height as Princess Diana.

Kate DOES drink alcohol, although she doesn't over indulge.

Kate's eye color is hazel-blue/green. They can appear green or blue depending on what she is wearing and the lighting.

As for the rest.....if the writer couldn't get the basics right, then I have to imagine the rest is rather loosely factual as well.

Oh wow she's tall! I figured though cause when she stands by Will there's not much of a height difference. If I stood by Will I'd be just above his waist! :)

Does anyone know if Kate actually speaks any foreign languages?

^Read somewhere thats she's learning Welsh.

texankitcat said:
I would say she takes afhas her mother's coloring and her eyes, but exactly like her? No. I don't see it.

I didn't mean exactly in a precise, exact way. Kate looks like her mother, minus all the wrinkles and aging. I definitely see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom