General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thought of DM Royal journalists interpreting accounts is intersting. They are the original 2+2 = 5

I honestly don’t see why it’s anyones business how much Kate spends on her clothes. It’s not like the public pays for it. As far as I know Charles paid for it out of his own pocket. What they do with their own money is their concern.

I think she should.

Sorry for off topic comment but I think that this is the DM pushing the cost of Catherine in comparison with the work she does. IT's already been mentioned on here, the DM posts are saying it and (no surprise) the Daily Telegraph have also mentioned the cost and some posts are saying the same. The next thing will be "Is Kate value for money?"

I personally don't have a problem with the expenditure and I think its a fudge figure anyway because unless the Duchy itemises clothing in its accounts (which would surprise me) it could be the increase in overall expenditure yr on yr being translated as the cost of Catherine.

That's not why the DM is doing it. If that was the case they would mention the cost of William and Harry outfits, watch, wellies, etc. The DM would be pushing the cost even if she did has many engagement as the Queen.

And if she start doing more royal engagement than William the Daily Mail would be leading the charge of William is not fit to be King. They might even throw in a line about how Diana would be disappointed in him.

If some of the things about how much Princess Mary spend on clothes is to go by, by what is posted online than I doubt these post would change if Catherine start doing the same amount of engagement as Charles

Why should we even care how much Kate, Eugenie and Beatrice spend on outfits. They are nice but prices ranging from low to high some aren't even available here in the US.

Plus, William seems to own only one suit, a tuxedo and a morning suit and that's about it. Since William isn't buying £3k suits every month Kate can choose some designer duds along with the high street stuff.

He must own multiple pairs of that blue suit. Since he wore it everyday on his Canadian tour, unless he sent it to the dry cleaners every night.

I honestly don’t see why it’s anyones business how much Kate spends on her clothes. It’s not like the public pays for it. As far as I know Charles paid for it out of his own pocket. What they do with their own money is their concern.

Exactly, its not like she is running around spending a fortune at Armani, Prada, Valentino and Elie Saab. She wears British designers and British high street fashion. When she wears something copies of it almost immediately sell out thus boosting British fashion and retail sales. She looks good and is always appropriately dressed for the events she attends. Since her father in law is paying for it, as he does for the entire Wales branch of the BRF, it seems like much ado about nothing. Slow news day?

Why should we even care how much Kate, Eugenie and Beatrice spend on outfits. They are nice but prices ranging from low to high some aren't even available here in the US.

I was just saying, if they are going to list the amount Catherine spend on outfits (which the annual review doesn't state, which mean the DM came up with that calculation themselves), than they should be consistent and list the cost for all the members of the BRF.

Exactly, its not like she is running around spending a fortune at Armani, Prada, Valentino and Elie Saab. She wears British designers and British high street fashion. When she wears something copies of it almost immediately sell out thus boosting British fashion and retail sales. She looks good and is always appropriately dressed for the events she attends. Since her father in law is paying for it, as he does for the entire Wales branch of the BRF, it seems like much ado about nothing. Slow news day?

It's just the cycle of the press when it come to the Cambridge. It's goes, William and Catherine are feeling broody, Catherine is pregnant, Catherine recycle her shoes too much, Catherine apparently spend too much money, the public want William to be the next King, etc. Rinse, Wash and Repeat

Last edited by a moderator:

Absolutely agree. It's too bad the media is so intent on stirring up resentment. Those who are referred to as jealous get very heated up about being accused of that but there is NO DOUBT that there is a segment of population that is truly disgustingly resentful. It must be a very unpleasant way to live and feel.

A few designers have complained that Kate doesn't wear enough designer gear; that she should leave Zara alone and go much more upscale. Even the Daily Mail's own Liz 'sperm stealer' Jones wrote an entire article about how Kate should ditch the £185 LK Bennets for the £600 shoes of some up and coming British designer.

Kate has got a decent mix going at the moment. Some of it's high street, some of it's couture. She has repeated many of her outfits (much to the DM's annoyance), and even worn clothes that she's owned since long before her engagement. She hasn't done what some princesses have and simply bought almost the entire Prada collection every season. She doesn't have a dresser or a stylist and gets it right most of the time.

I think she's doing ok so far.

It's just the cycle of the press when it come to the Cambridge. It's goes, William and Catherine are feeling broody, Catherine is pregnant, Catherine recycle her shoes too much, Catherine apparently spend too much money, the public want William to be the next King, etc. Rinse, Wash and Repeat

Actually I haven't seen a broody article, nor a pregnancy article, nor a William being King article from the british press in a very long time if ever.

Catherine recycles her shoes, I personally think she should own more than one colour of shoe (by the way that article was in the fashion section of the DM, so I don't see how that was out of place, also one article not been repeated since).

This article is the first of its kind and the fact she's spent 35k on those clothes is interesting. People don't comment on William and Harry's clothes because nobody is interested, do you think we'd have had a two page discussion over a tux and some suits?

She's done a lot for fashion, not intentionally and not always for british designers but if Catherine went to an engagement in a £9.99 H&M people would laugh. If you need to spend 35K to look like a Princess then so be it.

As for Beatrice and Eugenie's fashion, there was an article about the cost of their clothes a while back because I remember thinking that they should take the designers freebies as often as they can, money for their clothes comes from their own pockets (eg. trust funds) I believe, not from their father. Or so I heard.

35k on mainly McQueen outfits is too much to me.

She supports mainly the British fashion industry by buying clothes from High Street to British designers and she makes this industry famous worldwide. If you compare what the government spends on supporting British industry interests abroard it is mere peanuts and peanuts not payed for by the taxpayer. The Wales' household should be praised for that, not critizised. They see to it that British jobs are secured.

She supports mainly the British fashion industry by buying clothes from High Street to British designers and she makes this industry famous worldwide. If you compare what the government spends on supporting British industry interests abroard it is mere peanuts and peanuts not payed for by the taxpayer. The Wales' household should be praised for that, not critizised. They see to it that British jobs are secured.

I can't remember one British designer Catherine has worn, all I remember is McQueen. I honestly don't know why people buy the clothes Catherine wears, if they weren't going to buy it originally, why buy it because she's worn it?
Catherine wearing a high street brand or promoting british fashion isn't going to save jobs in the long run, I wonder if she bought a card from Clinton Cards the company would magically pop out of bankruptcy. :lol:

Further to my post about comparing last year's expenditure with this years to see if its changed, this is from the DM reporter's twitter page:

Rebecca English@RE_DailyMail
@britishroyals No.The article explains it will be part of the prince's official spending which we will be examining to see if it has changed

OF course it will have changed! :bang:

I imagine it changes every year, but this way we'll see how much it has changed since Catherine 'officially' joined.

When does this go from is it April 2011 to April 2012 or when to when?

That's right and needs to be published by end of June. It will posted on the PoW web site.

Petty cash to him but not the rest of the us, Charles volunteered to pay for Catherine's clothes so who would be paying if he didn't?

Not sure where you are driving this to, but if Charles did not pay for Kate's clothing, either William or HM would.

Not sure where you are driving this to, but if Charles did not pay for Kate's clothing, either William or HM would.

There was no secret hint behind the question, it was simple just who would pay for it if Charles didn't. I assume HM therefore must pay for Sophie or does Edward?

Edward was getting an allowance of £141,000 to cover all expenses under the Civil List system. That includes cost of Sophie. By comparison, Anne gets £245,000.

Because she's worth it! Charles' accounts to reveal the cost of Kate's wardrobe for the first time.... and it could be as much as £35,000 so far this year
For a self-proclaimed Queen of the High Street, she has embraced the joys of designer shopping most enthusiastically. Indeed, a quick tot up of her recent purchases suggests the increasingly glamorous Duchess of Cambridge has spent more than £35,000 on couture and ‘high end’ outfits since the beginning of the year alone. In the next few days the public is going to be given an insight into the real ‘cost of Kate’ when Prince Charles opens up his financial accounts for the first time since the royal wedding. For unusually, the Mail can reveal, it is not the Duchess’s husband who is footing the bill for her dazzling new wardrobe but her father-in-law, Prince Charles.

I can't remember one British designer Catherine has worn, all I remember is McQueen. I honestly don't know why people buy the clothes Catherine wears, if they weren't going to buy it originally, why buy it because she's worn it?
Catherine wearing a high street brand or promoting british fashion isn't going to save jobs in the long run, I wonder if she bought a card from Clinton Cards the company would magically pop out of bankruptcy. :lol:

Honestly? Along with McQueen, she's worn Jimmy Choo (a British company), LK Bennett, Alice Temperley, Katherine Hooker, Whistles, Reiss, Burberry, Mulberry, French Sole (British despite the name), Anya Hindmarch, Erdem (Canadian but based in London), Libelula, Issa (Brazilian but based in London), Roland Mouret (French but has been based in London for 25 years), Matthew Williamson, Oasis, Ted Baker, Jenny Packham, Amanda Wakeley, Joseph, Catherine Walker, Links of London among others. All British or based in Britain.

Kate has put these designers in the global spotlight in a way that you probably can't buy. People buy what she wears for one single reason - because they like what she wears. What's so odd about that?

In the midst of a double dip recession, LK Bennett are expanding into the US and they basically admit that they wouldn't even have considered it until Kate gave them a huge leg up by wearing their stuff. All these designers have been boosted as a result of Kate wearing their designs, some have made more of the opportunity than others, but Kate has been a real boon for the industry at a very difficult time economically.

Further to my post about comparing last year's expenditure with this years to see if its changed, this is from the DM reporter's twitter page:

Rebecca English@RE_DailyMail
@britishroyals No.The article explains it will be part of the prince's official spending which we will be examining to see if it has changed

OF course it will have changed! :bang:
Just so I understand correctly, Rebecca English is going to see if there is a changed in spending since Catherine joined the BRF and if there is it will only be because of the amount she spend on clothes? There was no travel expenses when she went to Canada and United States on tour. When she went to Denmark on an official engagement. When she used car or train transportation to go to her official engagements. Yep that makes sense, all the expenses were b/c of fashion.

Last edited:
Given the costs incurred with the wedding last year, and also in preparations for a bumper year of royal activities this year, I'd be shocked if Charles's costs haven't gone up. I remember reading somewhere that Charles had to take on a handful of temporary workers to deal with the tens of thousands of congratulatory letters and cards sent to William and Kate after their wedding.

Charles and Camilla have also undertaken quite a number of overseas visits, which always impacts on costs.

I also forgot to mention, William, Catherine and Harry move into their new apartment. I'm going to assume they had to buy furniture and decoration, etc for their new place.

I don't care how much Catherine spends on her clothes, if she has the money/budget to spend on the outfits, then let her spend. She has so far balanced it well with high street and designer wear.

excuse me: none of the costs of the trips that charles and camilla or william and kate have performed or the cost of the events they perform (such as cars, drivers, or any other assistance) comes from charles's private allowance. those are diplomatic or representation costs which are of course not covered by the royal family themselves. so if charles' budget changed, it may well be because of kate's spending (clothes or otherwise), or on the wedding or on the costs of having one more person in the house but by no means it can be blamed on the engagements they have performed.

:previous:
Actually, Prince Charles covers his expenses from the Duchy of Cornwall income. Although his sons are now grown-ups and in possession (at least, in William's case) of their own inheritance, he also continues covering their official and private expenses - including Kate's wardrobe.

in retrospect, if you consider a 2k outfit here and a 1k outfit there and some expensive shoes, it's really only what, maybe 60 or 70 new outfits for the year?and if they are less than that, more power to her. i think she 'recycles' graciously and beautifully.

Someplace, back when they got married, I read that Catherine had been given a budget of 80,000 for clothes. We'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom