The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Aristocracy

Not sure if this is the right place for this

SAS train Kate to protect against kidnap threat

Old 08-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Aristocracy

Good for her...there are enough wackos out there.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I have a feeling Kate probably did quite well in this training due to her physical stamina from her sports activities and her confidence/level-headedness. For someone in her position, it's an advantage to know how to protect oneself in this volatile world. Actually, it's good for anyone to know a few skills, too!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Majesty

Good for her! If heaven forbid, something like this did occur, she would be able to proactive, rather than reactive, which will make her feel empowered and give her a semblance of some sort of control in the situation. It doesn't hurt to know how to shoot a gun in today's world, because the amount of crazies and wackos with sick and twisted ideas are not exactly dropping.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's always good for both women and men to learn self defense. With all the craziness in the world it's good to have some knowledge of protecting yourself.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Catherine is featured in a competitive princessing article in this months Tatler, she's up against Tatiana, Rania and MC. Basically it creates an 'olympics' where the tests are fashion, make up and breeding. Unfortunately no results are given.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Aristocracy

New Zealand has three main women's magazines; this week all feature Kate. Take your pick, in one she is:

"Sad and Lonely!"

in another she's living in:

"Domestic Bliss!"

and the third says she's:

"Pregnant Already!"
Old 08-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Administrator

The Kate - the eyeliner - Vivenne Westwood is already being discussed in the fashion forum. So that the subject does not dominate two threads, all posts regarding this discussion has been moved to http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1300330.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Not sure whether to post this at all but - Kate Middleton too thin? Anger as pro-anorexia websites hail her as role model | Mail Online
Old 08-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post
New Zealand has three main women's magazines; this week all feature Kate. Take your pick, in one she is:

"Sad and Lonely!"

in another she's living in:

"Domestic Bliss!"

and the third says she's:

"Pregnant Already!"
lol! I could say the same thing of our magazines!
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:45 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

£375 for Jeremy Clarkson, £655 for JK Rowling: the private eye's lucrative trade - Crime, UK - The Independent

Whittamore was asked to obtain confidential information on the Duchess of Cambridge in April 2002, when she was known simply as Kate Middleton, a 20-year-old student at St Andrews University who had been linked with her fellow student Prince William. The "yellow book" file, one of four colour-coded A4 books kept by Whittamore detailing his business dealings with journalists, reveals that the private eye was given her mobile phone number and asked to locate her family home. He was then required to provide the "Family & Friends" numbers for the Middleton home address in Berkshire and returned with 10 numbers. He charged £500 per number to obtain, using those details, the names and addresses of the family's close circle. The book then records separate inquiries for "Catherine Middleton" and her 18-year-old sister Philippa, known as Pippa. Both jobs are listed as separate Family & Friends searches, presumably made on their mobile numbers. Some of the work was recorded in the files as being carried out by one of Whittamore's associates, a former Hells Angel based on the South Coast.
At the time, Kate Middleton had just come on to the media's radar after appearing at a university charity fashion show in a sheer dress that revealed her underwear. Prince William, who attended the fashion show, had previously played tennis with his fellow student and speculation focused on his future living arrangements. In total, the operation to target the Middleton sisters would have involved more than 50 breaches of the Data Protection Act 1998, Section 55, which covers the unlawful disclosure, procurement and selling of personal information contained within a database. Each time a number is passed on or converted, another breach of the law is committed. To justify its actions, a newspaper would have to demonstrate that its inquiries were in the public interest.
Whittamore was also hired to conduct something he listed as the "Hen & Stag Blag" ahead of the marriage of Prince Edward to Sophie Rhys-Jones in 1999. The luxury Lanesborough Hotel near Hyde Park, which hosted both the hen and the stag party, was targeted by the private investigator to obtain details of the events. A report later emerged comparing the two parties and giving details of guests, cocktails and canapés.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Aristocracy

Awarded membership in QEII's Family Order?

Hi, I just happen to take a look at the Wikipedia page regarding The Queen's Family Order (Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), and to my surprise, the Duchess of Cambridge was listed as a member, although with no cite given. While I do expect her to eventually become member of the Family Order, I had thought it wouldn't happen for a bit longer. Does anyone know anything about this? I know this isn't announced or anything like that and the only way we know is by looking at pictures where evening gowns and decorations are required, and I'm not sure if they've had such events since she got married.

So does anyone know about this, or is it a mistake on the Wikipedia's part?
Old 09-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Honestly, I would think twice about anything cited on Wikipedia and won't believe it until Kate shows up at a formal occasion wearing the order. To my knowledge, there are no formal announcements given by the palace; usually the royal ladies just show up wearing the order. So it's interesting how Wiki would have gotten that information, unless it's a palace source.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Honestly, I would think twice about anything cited on Wikipedia and won't believe it until Kate shows up at a formal occasion wearing the order. To my knowledge, there are no formal announcements given by the palace; usually the royal ladies just show up wearing the order. So it's interesting how Wiki would have gotten that information, unless it's a palace source.
Exactly--they usually have good info, but like you said, you have to be careful with it. I had known that they don't announce such awards and that it can take a few years to be awarded membership in the family order--I believe the Duchess of Cornwall didn't get the Family Order until a few years after the wedding, so I was expecting it'd be at the least a couple of years. Hence my surprise.

I suspect that whoever put it in there had assumed the marriage meant automatic membership in the Family Order.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

The contributor should know that marriage doesn't equal automatic receipt of the Royal Order - Sarah, the Duchess of York, was never given one.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Aristocracy

Looks like someone was reading us--they took the Duchess of Cambridge off the list.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Majesty

I want to say that it takes a few years before any new members of the Royal Family are given any orders by the Queen. The Countess of Wessex received her first one at some point last year, after being married for ten years and doing a few solid years of royal duties and services.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Eagle View Post
Looks like someone was reading us--they took the Duchess of Cambridge off the list.
Wow, that's hysterical. Don't they know to verify with this forum before publishing anything?

And, Daria, I didn't realize that it was just last year that Sophie received her order. Just goes to show that you have to pay your dues as a royal before you can sport that item on your shoulder.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Wow, that's hysterical. Don't they know to verify with this forum before publishing anything?

And, Daria, I didn't realize that it was just last year that Sophie received her order. Just goes to show that you have to pay your dues as a royal before you can sport that item on your shoulder.
That would be a very smart move, considering this place is full of knowledgable people.

I read about Sophie while visiting the thread that deal with orders and sashes. One of the more recent posts has a link that mentions that.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks, another interesting thread I'll have to read!

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family