The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Whatever Kate has been doing so far, I think most people would agree that she has certainly used / is using her potential by marrying William, and all that that means.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Courtier

To me it seems like Catherine's adult life so far has been split between study, work, fun, family and love. Everyone no doubt has their own idea how much time should be spent on each of those things. Some people are very ambitious and focus on work to the exclusion of all else, others will make their family or their social life their priority. Catherine was lucky enough to have wealthy parents backing her up and she seems to have carved out a very nice life for herself, one that she'll be able to look back on and not feel like she's missed out on anything. We should all not live up to our potential in such a way.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I look forward to her adopting specific charities or causes.

Perhaps she will be strong enough to decide herself what suits her.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Courtier

About five years or so ago it was reported that HRH the Duchess of Cambridge had said that all she really wanted out of life was to have a house and family. I don"t have access to the article,but it seems like she may be succeeding at her goal. Not every woman wants a business career. It takes all kinds to make the world go around. Personally, I think a lot of career women will someday regret not putting their families first. Not too many have the courage to forgo children in deference to their careers.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Serene Highness

How true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Whatever Kate has been doing so far, I think most people would agree that she has certainly used / is using her potential by marrying William, and all that that means.
And unlike many of those who have a career, she will never be able to retire from hers. In real life, not royal life, the Queen and the PoW would both be pensioners.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:01 AM
Nobility

Do we call her your grace as she is now a duchess?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraDaniel View Post
Kate is a royal duchess so she is Your Royal Highness...

Kindness is the magic elixir of love - The Practice of Kindness
Old 06-04-2011, 02:37 AM
Nobility

Thanks, monica17.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica17 View Post
Didn't the Prince William himself suggest that Kate get a job? If I'm wrong in this, then I'm wrong. Sorry for upsetting you.

But I stand by what I said: her employment history isn't very impressive/meaningful considering her potential (coming from a very good school and seemingly intelligent).... Camelot23ca is right on the last part of her post (starting from the sentence about Princess Mathilde). In addition, Mathilde continued with her post-graduate degree and work after she started dating her husband. Also, Kate's choice of working for her parents entitled her to certain conveniences she likely would not have enjoyed while working for others (taking time off to go to events, vacations with William, etc.). You may have other views, but to each his own. .
Kate graduated from St. Andrews in 2005. Six years out of University most graduates are still trying to find their "niche" in the workforce. So the question begs to be answered....Is everyone judged by an impressive resume' that soon out of University, or just Kate?

One other area that I find rather amusing is where Kate is compared to other commoners that have married into Royal households. Not one of them met their future husband's in University and had the type of intense world media frenzy that she has endured since it became public knowledge. Other women dating a Prince of a Royal House would certainly attract the attention of the media in that country, however it can't be compared to the interest of the World media that the British Royal Family generates.

From the moment he was born, Prince William's life has been played out in the media as second in line to the throne and the son of Princess Diana, who was the most famous woman on the planet. The media focus on William and Kate's relationship made it impossible for Kate to carry on as a private citizen going about her life and career like everyone else.

A little perspective goes a long way in this argument.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Aristocracy

It's tough everywhere. According to a recent study only 1 in 3 in the U.S. that graduated from Law school are even practicing law. just an example but it shows that even with a university degree there's not a lot out there.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraDaniel View Post
Your Grace was a term used for the Clergy in the renaissance period.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine

Your Grace was a term used for the Clergy in the renaissance period.
Also Dukes and Duchesses (and other nobility) were referred to as Your Grace during that time as well.....
Old 06-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Also Dukes and Duchesses (and other nobility) were referred to as Your Grace during that time as well.....
Current nobility dukes are also referred to as Your Grace.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Administrator

You are a British fashion retailer right now, perhaps a high-street brand that has struggled in the downturn, you’ll have just one concerted wish: that you’ll open up the papers and discover that, today, the Duchess of Cambridge is wearing your blouse, your bag, or perhaps your blazer.

One outing with Kate, you see, and the world wakes up. The internet hits overdrive, the chatrooms go nuts, and the money rolls in. The effect is phenomenal. And instantaneous. When Kate wore a £310 black velvet coat by Libélula to the wedding of her and William’s friends Sarah Stourton and Harry Aubrey-Fletcher in January, it sold out in hours. The company’s website went mad and the coat had a waiting list of 300 before you could say ker-ching. The famous blue Issa engagement dress is more impressive still. As you might expect, the real thing flew out of Harvey Nichols on the day Kate wore it; but then the knock-off at Tesco (a snip at £16) sold out within an hour of going online.

Read more: Kate Middleton: The sellout effect of the high-street Duchess of Cambridge | Mail Online

Old 06-18-2011, 04:28 PM

Jlh

I really don't get all the hoopla over Kate and her career(or lack there-of). She is not the first woman to be a stay at home mom and she certainly won't be the last. LOTS of women attend college, achieve advanced degrees and then go on to be house wives/stay at home moms. It is no big deal really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
Personally, I think a lot of career women will someday regret not putting their families first. Not too many have the courage to forgo children in deference to their careers.
So, if a woman(I'm going to assume this doesn't apply to men) has a career, she is not putting her family first? Really? Would love to know how you arrived at this conclusion. From what I have read about Kate's mom, she is quite ambitious, even more than her husband. And, yet she still managed to raise THREE decent, respectable, educated, classy, law abiding citizens. Imagine that.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Aristocracy

Duchess of Cambridge expected to fuel sales of £5 face cream - Telegraph

now we know what keeps her face looking so nice...Nivea. :)
Old 07-02-2011, 03:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Duchess of Cambridge: her personality

I thought it would be interesting to have information on the real Kate, what she is like in private, what she enjoys, how she behaves, etc.

i thought these two articles were quite interesting:

Me, lucky to go out with Wills? No, he's lucky to be seeing me | Sunday Mirror Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET
Is Kate the anti-Diana? | The Royal Firm
Catherine Middleton: portrait of a future queen
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 07-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetiger View Post
It's tough everywhere. According to a recent study only 1 in 3 in the U.S. that graduated from Law school are even practicing law. just an example but it shows that even with a university degree there's not a lot out there.
This makes me feel better, that Im not the only one, and worse; because I fear I have no future.

Thanx for posting those Carlota, very interesting articles. Too bad people will never stop comparing Kate to Diana no matter how different they are.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-11-2011, 02:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

According to the Sun, William and Catherine congratulated the Beckhams of the birth of daughter Harper by text message.
Victoria Beckham gives birth to 'healthy' girl called Harper Seven | The Sun |Showbiz|Bizarre
Old 07-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
According to the Sun, William and Catherine congratulated the Beckhams of the birth of daughter Harper by text message.
Victoria Beckham gives birth to 'healthy' girl called Harper Seven | The Sun |Showbiz|Bizarre
when i first read quickly , i think that duches was pregnant

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family