Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine that the Queen would let her opinion be known to Will and Kate should they really pick something quite unusual but yet historically British like Æthelred (of Wessex). It would really be a giggle though if the Spencer genes shone through with this child and they could call him/her "Red" for short.

William and Kate are astute enough to know that this child's name will always be in the public eye, stick with him/her for life and they're not going to go off the deep end with something like Æthelred. I do think that this child will have a rather conventional and traditional name.

Oh come, I doubt if the pair of them would know about Etheldred! I don't think they are likely to even push sligthly outside the box, but the queen would certainly have the names run by her...
what does anyone think the chances are that the next weill be a boy? I'm not good at statistics - but in some of the RF, they've had "boy, girl boy", (Ed Duke of Kent) and others have had Boy, girl, Girl.. like the D of Gloucester and George St Andrews...

William and Kate are astute enough to know that this child's name will always be in the public eye, stick with him/her for life and they're not going to go off the deep end with something like Æthelred. I do think that this child will have a rather conventional and traditional name.

I agree. But there are plenty of classic traditional names that have seldom, or never, appeared in the immediate RF. Sadly I don't expect them to be even that imaginative though. I would love to be proved wrong.

David if it’s a boy. Caroline if it’s a girl.

I just don't see either name, Caroline and Charlotte are boht female versions of Charles..and rather too similar. And David? Mmm, Not sure they'd want to use Uncle David's name. But considering they did live in Wales for some time, Its possible a Welsh name would be nice.. I just can't think of a male one other than Rhys or Owen, orEvan.

Assuming you mean Ethelred, why ever would you think that two highly educated people would not know about Anglo-Saxon kings?

Just because they have university degrees, doesn't mean they know anything about history. They studied geography and art history. But I would hope that the future king might know something about the history of the kings before him. Even that far back.

Just for the record, I am not even British, am older and just have a little bit of university under my belt as far as an education and I know who Æthelred of Wessex was. I'd be hard pressed to write an essay on this person as I'd be quite unready (pun intended) to do so but I knew enough to think of his name. :D

Who says they're highly educated.

We all know you are not a fan of W&K's but please don't start denigrating them again.

They may only have a vague awareness of Ethelred but I'm sure over all the years they attended school he was mentioned in a history class or two.
It is true however that not all university degrees will place much emphasis on history.

I think the Cambridges will choose a name for baby #3 that is traditional and goes with his/her sibling's names. There is no need for them to be creative, imaginative or different.

Last edited:
Just for the record, I am not even British, am older and just have a little bit of university under my belt as far as an education and I know who Æthelred of Wessex was. I'd be hard pressed to write an essay on this person as I'd be quite unready (pun intended) to do so but I knew enough to think of his name. :D

Here my first degree was in British history and I had to look up who Ethelred of Wessex was. :ohmy:

But the name Ethelred should click in the brain of anyone who knows a tiny bit of British history. Ethelred the unready was afterall a king of England and father of Edward the Confessor.

The difference is would you recognize it vs would you think of it yourself. If you were considering names of English/British monarchs, would Ethelred pop into your head? Not likely unless history buff. On the other hand, when someone brings up the name Ethelred, do you recognize its existence even if perhaps you know little about the person? Two different matters.

If someone said 'Hey William have you considered the name of Ethelred for your new son?' I am sure he would know the source at least in passing (or would hope a british prince knows royal history). But would he and Kate, when considering royal names, have Ethelred pop in their head? Who knows.

Yep..same as Osipii.. not a Brit. College educated but stopped short of the degree (Criminal Justice not history) and have known who Aethelred the Unready is for at least 2 or 3 decades (and I'm only 51). Lesser known the 1st...but I am aware of him.

I can't imagine that W&K have not read about the years surrounding 1066...I think that might be rather important for them to know?

Even Aethelred 1 would surely be taught in history?

LaRae

Last edited:
Let's move on please - this is not a debate about the education of members of the Royal Family nor to question their intelligence. Thank you.

Can I just add that they have probably watched "The Last Kingdom" :flowers:

While I think the baby is a boy, the first name that came to mind was for a girl.

For a girl I think we may well see a Princess Alice, Princess Amelia, or a Princess Victoria. Possibly Alice Olivia Mary, Amelia Olivia Cecily, or Victoria Alice Matilda.

For a boy possibly a Prince Arthur, Prince Oliver, or Prince Nicholas. Perhaps Arthur Edward Michael, Oliver Arthur Michael, or Nicholas Oliver Michael.

I do realize that Oliver is not traditionally used (Oliver Cromwell and all that) but given that this baby is Baby Cambridge #3, not the heir to the throne, and Catherine's grandmother's name was Olive, I suspect that it might be allowed if liked and chosen by the Cambridges. Should the baby be a boy I think we can almost count on Michael being a part of his name. And, given that both George and Charlotte's names have followed the pattern of having three names, the second name beginning with a vowel and the third with a consonant, I suspect we'll see the same for #3.

Last edited:
:previous: I know there is the whole argument that all names have some bad history, but I think Oliver takes the cake. Naming the baby after the person who led the civil war and the beheading of Charles I, I don't see happening :ohmy:

Olive would be another matter, as it is actually an honor to family. :flowers:

Honestly if they were going to use Victoria as a first name, I think it would have been their first daughter.

Or maybe Ruth among the name for a girl? William had ancestors named Ruth on his mother's side (Ruth Roche, Baroness Fermoy, Ruth Gill).

I think it’s possible that Phillip or Michael are being considered as a first name for a boy, otherwise they might have been used as middle names for George.

I would be surprised if they used Frederick... George and Fred? ?

Girls names I’ve no idea. If they hadn’t used Elizabeth as a middle name for Charlotte I might have guessed that.

Emily sounds good with George and Charlotte.

Thanks for all of the posts, makes for fun reading! :flowers:

Fred would have been good if they'd named Charlotte Ginevra!:lol:

Last edited:
Oliver is a COMPLETE 'no-no', and Olive is so unfashionable it can be ruled out.

Philip for a boy

Alice for a girl

Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

I don’t like Olive but that’s the name of Kate’s paternal great grandmother. Peter Middleton’s mother. Everyone harping about Alice because it was Philip’s mother’s name. So Kate’s side of distant grandmothers should be allowed too.

Oliver is a COMPLETE 'no-no', and Olive is so unfashionable it can be ruled out.

Philip for a boy

Alice for a girl

Fashions are as such they pass and return after many years; it concerns also given names.
I would prever much more classic Olive than Trixiebelle:flowers:

return after many years

This is true, but the only Women I've ever met named Olive was as a child, and they were very old ladies then..

I've never heard of ANY GIRL having such a name. 'Princess Olive' also sounds like a variety of edible olive...

Fashions are as such they pass and return after many years; it concerns also given names.

Yes, but so far they have shown that they favour names that are in fashion.
So I would agree with Wyevale that Olive is an unlikely choice. Olivia would be a different matter.

I really believe that we might see Olive among the middle names for a girl as Catherine was close to her grandmother and was excited to learn about her history during WWII if I recall correctly. I very much doubt we'd see Olive as a first name but we might possibly see Olivia.

As I noted above, I have doubts that we'd see Oliver as a first name, either, but it might possibly make the cut for a middle name if this is to be the last child for the Cambridges and they wanted to honor Catherine's grandmother. Lots of ifs so it's certainly not a strong possibility. I definitely think we'll see Michael in use somewhere in the name if it's a boy.

I really believe that we might see Olive among the middle names for a girl as Catherine was close to her grandmother and was excited to learn about her history during WWII if I recall correctly. I very much doubt we'd see Olive as a first name but we might possibly see Olivia.

As I noted above, I have doubts that we'd see Oliver as a first name, either, but it might possibly make the cut for a middle name if this is to be the last child for the Cambridges and they wanted to honor Catherine's grandmother. Lots of ifs so it's certainly not a strong possibility. I definitely think we'll see Michael in use somewhere in the name if it's a boy.

Olive wasn’t Kate grandmother. Olive Middleton was her Paternal Great Grandmother. Mike’s mom who worked at Bletchley Park was named Valerie.

Fred would have been good if they'd named Charlotte Ginevra!:lol:

Or Gladys. Its well know that Charles and Camilla have used Fred and Gladys as pet names for each other. :D

That doesn’t go with the Harry Potter theme. [emoji57]

Or Gladys. Its well know that Charles and Camilla have used Fred and Gladys as pet names for each other. :D

But Gladys wasn't a Weasley. Fred, George and Ginevra (Ginny) are some of Ron's siblings in the Harry Potter books.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom