Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Michael is out because of Prince Michael, wouldn't David be out :ermm:

David isn't the name of a Prince though. Hence why I believe it could be in play while I would rule out Michael - especially as Prince Michael is the title he uses. As a result any new boy using David would be the only Prince David.

Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

I don't think anyone will be confusing HRH Prince Michael of Cambridge with HRH Prince Michael of Kent unless he comes out of the womb with a beard.

My early prediction is another girl. I’d love the name Cecilia - as a first name, or anywhere within. That was the name of Queen Elizabeth’s mother, and I’ve always thought it lovely.

And Philip's allegedly favourite sister was Cecile. She was the one killed in the plane crash.

Amelia Caroline Sophie

Arthur Michael Philip

I think they'll continue with very traditional names, maybe something a tiny bit more adventurous but nothing that will surprise anyone too much. I think the Middleton side of the family will be more prominently represented in the names.

Something like Philip Michael, (or Michael Philip), would be a natural choice for a boy, IMO.

I'm guessing another girl. Like others have stated, I believe William and Catherine will stick to traditional names. I am hoping they use Victoria as a first name.

Margaret would be a good girl name for a princess, although it is an old, traditional name.

It would be nice to name their daughter after William's beloved grandaunt Margaret. I'm sure she adored William since Charles was her eldest and favorite nephew. She basically helped raise William's father when Elizabeth and Philip had to travel after George VI was ill in the early 50s.

Margaret would be a good girl name for a princess, although it is an old, traditional name.

It would be nice to name their daughter after William's beloved grandaunt Margaret. I'm sure she adored William since Charles was her eldest and favorite nephew. She basically helped raise William's father when Elizabeth and Philip had to travel after George VI was ill in the early 50s.

Yes, but Princess Margaret's granddaughter is Margarita.

With so many names to choose from, I don't see any need for doubling up!

I think it's another girl but either will be great.

For a boy, I'm leaning towards Philip. I definitely think Philip is gonna be somewhere in the name but I also could vividly imagine them using it as a first name. I don't think they'll use Charles – I think it's very obvious that they already honoured him with Charlotte – but I could imagine them honouring Kate's father since he wasn't included in George's name, so either Michael or Francis. I also think there's a good chance of either Arthur, Alfred or Albert being somewhere in the name. My initial guess would be: Arthur Philip Michael.

For a girl, I'm still set on Matilda. I think it's such a beautiful name that would go well with George and Charlotte. But at the same time I also feel like I'm just projecting my own preference over here :D I actually think names like Alice or Rose are more their style. Or maybe Josephine? I could see them honouring Carole – either with her actual name or by using Caroline. And then I think there could be a chance of Philippa being one of the middles since it would honour both Philip and Pippa. My initial guess would be: Matilda Caroline Rose or Matilda Philippa Rose.

Last edited:
I like Alice Matilda Rose :) I hadn't thought of Matilda but it is a great name

My guesses for girls

Elizabeth Alice Mary
Victoria Alice Mary
Lilian Mary Carole
Alexandra Mary Alice
Mary Anne Sophie
Helena Mary Carole
Alice Mary Carole
Alice Carol Victoria
Eleanor Anne Victoria
Marie Alice Victoria
Anna Mary Victoria
Adelaide Mary Victoria
Emma Mary Alice
Mathilda Mary Alexandra

Last edited:
I think it's another girl but either will be great.

For a boy, I'm leaning towards Philip. I definitely think Philip is gonna be somewhere in the name but I also could vividly imagine them using it as a first name. I don't think they'll use Charles – I think it's very obvious that they already honoured him with Charlotte – but I could imagine them honouring Kate's father since he wasn't included in George's name, so either Michael or Francis. I also think there's a good chance of either Arthur, Alfred or Albert being somewhere in the name. My initial guess would be: Arthur Philip Michael.

For a girl, I'm still set on Matilda. I think it's such a beautiful name that would go well with George and Charlotte. But at the same time I also feel like I'm just projecting my own preference over here :D I actually think names like Alice or Rose are more their style. Or maybe Josephine? I could see them honouring Carole – either with her actual name or by using Caroline. And then I think there could be a chance of Philippa being one of the middles since it would honour both Philip and Pippa. My initial guess would be: Matilda Caroline Rose or Matilda Philippa Rose.

That's one of my top choices too. It might depend on if Tilly Middleton (the dog) is still alive. We haven't seen her since Summer 2013, when Michael took the photo of baby George with Tilly in the background. She was already fairly old back then.

William and Catherine have kept tradition going, but since they already have an heir and a spare, I think they will have more freedom to choose a name they like (not necessarily royal) for their 3rd child, which is unlikely to inherit the british throne. I think we will be surprised this time around I'm sure. And I bet for a boy ;)

I wouldn't actually attach the word "beloved" to Anne and Alexandra that much as we really don't see them interacting too much and they're more on the fringe of their family interactions although William and Harry have been reported to be quite friendly with Peter and Zara.

Charlotte has already been named after Gan-Gan and that was a stroke of genius. Not only named for HM, but also Kate's mother's middle name is Elizabeth along with Kate's being Elizabeth.

I think though that they will try and work names from both families into this new wee one's name and more or less steer away from names of extended family members that they really don't know that well unless they really just like the name.

I do not think Anne is close to Charles, nor his children particularly. Here is Anne on the birth of Prince George:

Nothing to do with me, but it's very good news," the Princess Royal, 62, said on the birth of her grandnephew. Prince William and wife Kate Middleton welcomed their their baby boy on Monday, July 22 at 4:24 p.m. London time at St. Mary's Hospital in London.

I do think, however, that William and Harry are very close with Peter and Zara.

I am going to say that the child will be a girl and they will name her Mary Victoria Frances. Mary after Queen Elizabeth's grandmother Queen Mary, Victoria because of Queen Victoria and it is just such a pretty name, and Frances for Diana's middle name.

Edited to Add: I went back and looked through the thread after posting my choice for a girl, as I did not have any thoughts about a boy name. However, after reading everyone's choices for a boy, I am thinking Philip Michael Spencer.

Re: Mary Victoria Frances

Not only does Frances honor Diana, but Francis is the middle name of Catherine’s father Michael. I actually thought with Charlotte that they may opt for Frances instead of Diana, so s to avoid comparisons. However, I think it’s lovely they went with Charlotte Elizabeth Diana.

Actually, I think they will steer away from Mary unless they want the child to be known with a double barrel name like Mary Katherine or Mary Virginia. I picked a middle name of May because that is the affectionate name that Queen Mary went by. Some sources say that May stemmed from being called "my little Mayflower" as a wee one and it was shortened to May.

I adore the nickname May (or Mae). I had never heard the story of how Queen Mary received her nickname. Love it!

Also, this baby could be a May arrival...

Last edited by a moderator:
my favorites:
Helena Victoria Mary
Alice Victoria Helena... or Alice Victoria Mary

Arthur Philip Michael

I would love a Princess Matilda of Cambridge or even Philippa as first name but I doubt they would call her that.

I don't have a solid prediction like I did the last two times! But here are some names that I'd love:

Girl:
Victoria, Alexandra, Frances, Adelaide, Caroline, Sophie

Boy:
Louis (though I don't they'll use it because George has it, it's my favorite royal male name), Arthur, Philip, Albert, Henry (again doubt they'll use this one), Francis

I'm thinking boy but hope it won't be Albert or Alfred but here are my usual names -

Boys - Edmund, Edgar, Robert, Llwellyn, Richard, William, Stephen

Girls - Alice, Marianne, Sophia, Helene, Rosemary, Caroline, Emma, Emily.

I'm thinking boy but hope it won't be Albert or Alfred but here are my usual names -

Boys - Edmund, Edgar, Robert, Llwellyn, Richard, William, Stephen

Girls - Alice, Marianne, Sophia, Helene, Rosemary, Caroline, Emma, Emily.

I can see the headlines if they named their daughter after Camilla. Some Diana fans may have a heart attack. Daily mail would have a ball.:eek:

Apparently Alice is favourite at the moment among betting folk in the UK, while Albert and Frederick or Freddy are firming up as favourites for a boy. (I'm afraid I'm not a fan of Albert, didn't Diana reject that as a name for William?) And I don't think Freddie/Frederick will be used because of Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark. Boys names in the BRF are so difficult!

Apparently Alice is favourite at the moment among betting folk in the UK, while Albert and Frederick or Freddy are firming up as favourites for a boy. (I'm afraid I'm not a fan of Albert, didn't Diana reject that as a name for William?) And I don't think Freddie/Frederick will be used because of Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark. Boys names in the BRF are so difficult!

What does Cp Frederick have to do with anything? :ermm:

If we rule out names in use in other monarchies, we might have to go for something like Llewelyn. :cool:

Yes, Diana didn't like albert and Arthur. Doesn't mean her son and daughter in law might not. Charles liked them. Like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is how a name sounds.

A princess named..*Claire Marie Anne* ...perfect!

Well, personally I hope Frederick is used as I like it better than Albert, and I like the shortened version, Freddie. I only put the remark in about CP Frederik because the BRF are quite close to the Scandi monarchies and so might veer away from that name because of it.

It's true that Kate and William might like Albert, but they didn't use it in any of George's names, and I do think that this baby's name is going to be one used by a number of their friends and the British upper class in general. In other words I don't believe it will be an unusual or very old Royal name, and I don't think their are too many Alberts being born in the circles in which they move.

I can see the headlines if they named their daughter after Camilla. Some Diana fans may have a heart attack. Daily mail would have a ball.:eek:

:eek:I can see what you mean after googling. We'll delete that one then.

Who knows?

Girl:
Victoria Carole Mary
Victoria Jane Anne
Victoria Carole Philippa
Mary Victoria Carole
Victoria Anne Carole
Dorothy Mary Victoria

Boy:
Philip Michael Edward
Michael Anthony Spencer
Thomas Philip Spencer
Peter Francis Spencer
Peter John Francis
Philip Peter Michael
Stuart Francis Spencer

Last edited:
But where's the poll?

Anyway, girl. It will be something classic again, I don't they are that bold to choose some unusual name. There are a few nice names among Kate's ancestors, such as Olive, Harriet or Valerie but can't see them being chosen, unfortunately.

Dorothy Alexandra Carole
or
Isabella Carole Alexandra

Girl:

Alexandra Mary Victoria
Victoria Sophia Anne
Alice Louise Victoria
Caroline Anne Victoria

...basically I think they're going to work Victoria into there somewhere.

Boy:

Charles Henry Michael
Michael William Edward
Anthony Philip Henry
James Michael Henry

Michael is Catherine's father's name, so I thought maybe they might work into their son's name, if the baby is a boy. I don't think they'd name the baby directly after William, the Prince of Wales, or Prince Harry, so it was hard coming up with first names that sounded good with some combination of those other names.

I'd love for them to go with something like Caroline or Frances as a first name for a girl, but I doubt that's likely. I can see them going with Alice, and if they do, I think Alice Mary Frances would be a beautiful choice!

Girl:

Alexandra Mary Victoria
Victoria Sophia Anne
Alice Louise Victoria
Caroline Anne Victoria

...basically I think they're going to work Victoria into there somewhere.

Boy:

Charles Henry Michael
Michael William Edward
Anthony Philip Henry
James Michael Henry

Michael is Catherine's father's name, so I thought maybe they might work into their son's name, if the baby is a boy. I don't think they'd name the baby directly after William, the Prince of Wales, or Prince Harry, so it was hard coming up with first names that sounded good with some combination of those other names.

Charlotte and Charles? Think a bit too close.

I think Baby Boy

Boy :
Edward Philip Michael
Albert Charles Francis
Arthur William Michael

Girl :
Victoria Alice Carole
Alexandra Helena Carole
Eleanor Alice Carole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back