The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-31-2017, 05:57 PM
Aristocracy

Sorry it was Rosemary - it would have been so easy to have found out what Camilla's names were and I should have doubled checked.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Constantine may be a royal name for Greece, but would sound quite odd as a prince of the UK for instance..
Oddly enough, Constantine was the name of three early Kings of Scotland...

Old 12-31-2017, 09:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it would be lovely if they had a Irish name... mainly because my grown children have Irish names and they haven’t gone out of fashion
Old 12-31-2017, 11:26 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Several bickering posts have been deleted. Let's try and keep this discussion as light as the topic at hand..
Old 01-01-2018, 06:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
George was chosen as it was an expected name. It has risen in popularity because of Prince George, no surprise there.
George has risen a little since, but I don't think Prince George has much to do with it. It is just fashionable at the moment, and was already a top ten name in the year George was born. There are just as many parents who are put off a name when it is given to a Royal baby. They don't want people thinking that they named their child after a Royal or a celebrity.

I'm not sure what you mean by "chosen as it was an expected name". George was not the only option by any means. The British Royal Family aren't obliged to follow a name pattern. I wonder how many people expected the Queen to name her first son Charles?
Old 01-01-2018, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
George has risen a little since, but I don't think Prince George has much to do with it. It is just fashionable at the moment, and was already a top ten name in the year George was born. There are just as many parents who are put off a name when it is given to a Royal baby. They don't want people thinking that they named their child after a Royal or a celebrity.

I'm not sure what you mean by "chosen as it was an expected name". George was not the only option by any means. The British Royal Family aren't obliged to follow a name pattern. I wonder how many people expected the Queen to name her first son Charles?
Charles was definitely an unexpected name, but that doesn't mean that George was anything other than a very expected name. It's the name of six monarchs before him and is one of the only names of a previous monarch not used by a member of the BRF at the time of George's birth. The middle name "Louis" was also highly expected, and if memory serves Alexander was also a popular guess when Kate was pregnant. Likewise, Charlotte's name was a popular guess for a girl's name when Kate was pregnant (for both pregnancies), as were her middle names.

William and Kate have gone with fairly predictable names for their first two children, which makes it seem likely that they'll do so with this child as well.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Courtier

I guess the point that is made was that William and Catherine most likely don't pick names 'because those names are the most expected names' but they pick those names for a reason (they like traditional names that are currently popular among their peers - and prefer (royal) family names) and, therefore, they are rather predictable so those names also happen to high on the lists...
Old 01-01-2018, 10:01 PM
Nobility

Yes, exactly. Predictable, if that's what was meant by "expected". There were other possible names that wouldn't have been out of place, nor a big surprise if chosen.

Mind you, as George was their first child, we didn't have much of a clue then about their taste. They might have been more adventurous and gone for something a bit less obvious, as the Yorks did.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
'Cecilia' sounds lovely.

Cecilia Victoria Mary Cambridge
Cecilia Victoria Mary Cambridge is an ideal choice. I like the use of Mary as the last middle name. Queen Mary, the wife of King George V, had a niece named Lady May Cambridge.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:02 PM
Majesty

I think it would be neat for them to have a girl named Mary and then call her May.

IIRC Queen Mary was called May.

LaRae
Old 01-02-2018, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Queen Mary was known as Princess Victoria Mary of Teck before her marriage (from her first two names), but was always called May by family as she was born in May. When George V became King she was asked by her husband to pick Victoria or Mary as a name, as May wasn’t regal enough and he didn’t want her using a double barrelled name - she chose Mary because she didn’t want to take Queen Victoria’s name.

Mary is also one of the Queen’s middle names, so it would be a nice touch - if they use it, then all 3 of the Cambridge children will have one of the Queen’s names in their name.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:20 PM
Courtier

Charlotte was born in May so would have been the perfect choice (although I like it that the name Charlotte fits perfectly in the list of 'Princess Royals' - which she hopefully one day will be).
Old 01-02-2018, 08:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Charles was definitely an unexpected name, but that doesn't mean that George was anything other than a very expected name. It's the name of six monarchs before him and is one of the only names of a previous monarch not used by a member of the BRF at the time of George's birth. .
Although not a close family member, The Duke of Kent's eldest son (Earl of St. Andrews b 1962) is "George Philip Nicholas."
Old 01-17-2018, 08:43 PM

Alright so we know they like Georgian Names and names that honor family so if it's a girl:

Alexandra - Williams godmother and cousin
Frances - grandma diana and Grandpa Michael
Mary - Queen Mary also Queen EII middle name

For a boy:

Arthur- Williams and Charles middle name
Phillip - The Duke
Peter - Catherine's grandfather and probably godfather to the new baby, Peter Philips

Now the names I want:

Feodora Augusta Mary
Leopold James Arthur (I've been wanting a Leopld since the Countess of Wessex was pregnant with the Viscount lol)
Old 01-17-2018, 09:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHDuchessofAlbany View Post

Now the names I want:

Leopold James Arthur (I've been wanting a Leopld since the Countess of Wessex was pregnant with the Viscount lol)
If it is any consolation, one of Lord Nicholas Windsor's (The Duke of Kent's 2nd son) sons is named Leopold.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think that Leopold is in the slightest bit likely. It sounds very Germanic...
Old 01-21-2018, 09:41 AM
Nobility

Leopold is down among the 900s in the 2016 baby names list, with 30 registrations.
However Leo is a Top Twenty name, so for that reason I wouldn't have ruled it out.
The fact that (as mentioned above) there is already an eight-year-old Leopold Windsor in the extended family is more of an obstacle imo.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:46 AM
Majesty

I really like David and Phillip for a boy. They both seem like they would mesh well with George/Charlotte

LaRae
Old 01-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Heir Apparent

William and Kate seem to be very conservative in their name choices as seen by the names George and Charlotte, both of which have connections to the Royal Family. I wouldn't expect any surprise then (like Estelle for example). If it is a girl, I think it will probably be Alice, perhaps with Victoria as a second name. If it is a boy, I assume Albert and/or David could be part of the name, though not necessarily the first name.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:04 PM
Royal Highness

Maybe Benjamin if this is their last child and a boy.