Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is another girl I am sure they will again honour Diana, for that reason alone. I am sure Harry will honour Diana too if he has a daughter.

All I am saying is Elizabeth is usually popular somewhere in Royal names. You are right probably not Elizabeth Diana again but I think Diana will be used again if another girl to honour their mother/grandmother.

Lets wait and see.

I see Diana between the names of Harry's eventual daughter; William already had his chance and he used it.

Yeah sorry Sunshine but there is no way W&K will use Diana on a second girl, nor Elizabeth. People in this day and age don't do that. They don't give same middle names to their children. Lets allow them to have their own identities.

LaRae

If it is another girl I am sure they will again honour Diana, for that reason alone. I am sure Harry will honour Diana too if he has a daughter.

All I am saying is Elizabeth is usually popular somewhere in Royal names. You are right probably not Elizabeth Diana again but I think Diana will be used again if another girl to honour their mother/grandmother.

Lets wait and see.

We also have to remember that there are other family members that mean just as much to William and Kate as the late Diana. They've already honored Diana and they'll leave it at that.

Harry may use it but William will not.

I agree with almost everyone that Diana won't be used again by William and Catherine. Two examples: a good friend lost her mother as a late teenager and her eldest daughter was named for her, but not her second (who was named after the other grandmother). My own grandmother passed away when my father was in his twenties; I was named after her, my younger sister was not...

We'll have to see what they do this time but it would be extremely unlikely to use the same name twice. The only time that typically happens is when parents decide that they would like to use one of the middle names of an older child as the first name of a younger one (but again, that is uncommon and if at all done mostly in large families when children have lots of middle names, so they seem to run out of names). The other exception is of course the name Mary/Maria/Marie for Catholic families, some give that name to every child.

It is indeed likely that Harry will also use the name of Diana for his eldest daughter if he would have one; as we are talking about different families. Just as among the queen's children each eldest daughter has Elizabeth as one of their middle names.

Last edited:
Harry may also choose like William did to use Diana as a middle name rather than a first name. Say Charlotte was name Diana Charlotte Elizabeth. Eventually she would be HRH Princess Diana of Wales. There would be constant comparisons to the grandmother who died tragically young.

I don’t think the same comparison would be made with a HRH Prince Philip of Wales due to the long fulfilling life of the original Prince Philip.

Diana as middle name seems indeed more likely for a daughter of Harry and Meghan (getting off-topic)...

For a boy I still like 'Philip Henry James' - as Charles could be seen as included in 'Charlotte', so no need to use his name; so brothers instead of fathers would be nice for middle names.

I think Philip for a boy would be perfect, although William and Kate seem to prefer first names that aren’t identical to those of living family members, while still being very royal. So we got George and Charlotte instead of, say, Charles and Elizabeth.

The problem with trying to hold to that pattern with another boy is that a lot of the traditional royal male names are currently in use.

I think Philip for a boy would be perfect, although William and Kate seem to prefer first names that aren’t identical to those of living family members, while still being very royal. So we got George and Charlotte instead of, say, Charles and Elizabeth.

The problem with trying to hold to that pattern with another boy is that a lot of the traditional royal male names are currently in use.

There are many male royal names available like Albert, Arthur, Alfred or Leopold.

Let me make a bold guess, which may be of course wrong: Charles will not be part of the names of any of William's or Harry's children.

I believe it is felt that Charles has had his name incorporated in this name: Charlotte Elizabeth Diana.

Charlotte is a female variant for Charles. :flowers: Not so?

Philip is going to be 97 in June. The baby and his great grandfather won’t be sharing the planet for much time.

There are many male royal names available like Albert, Arthur, Alfred or Leopold.

Technically if we look at the extended family,only Alfred is not in use. Arthur Chatto, Leopold and Albert Windsor (Nicholas' children).

I don't think they can or will rule out names in use. They certainly didn't with George and Charlotte, which there are examples of in William's family. Heck his cousin who is only a few years older then Charlotte is Charlotte Diana.

As long as the name is not in the same generation, really there is going to be little to no confusion. No one is going to mistake stories about an infant with the 97 year old duke of Edinburgh. By the time the new baby is doing engagements, his great-grandfather will be long past.

One reason I am not sure about Philip any more is Zara. If both couples are having a boy, I'd like to see Zara use it. Cambridges could use it as a middle name. But not only is it a nod to Prince Philip, and a form of Zara's maiden name, but it the name of her father in law as well. I guess we could go the other direction, and have Zara use it as a middle name.

Let me make a bold guess, which may be of course wrong: Charles will not be part of the names of any of William's or Harry's children.
Charlotte--French feminine diminutive of CHARLES.

we shall see, as i said before :bang: Diana but probably not both.

Frances would honor Diana but not reuse Diana.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like Frances/Francis and since it's on both sides of their family would be neat to see it used somewhere in the name.

LaRae

If they insist on honoring Diana twice, Frances would be the best option. It would incorporate not only Diana but Kate's family. Like Elizabeth did (while it obviously honored the queen, it was just as much an honor to the Middletons. Catherine's great grandmother was Elizabeth. Then we have 3 generations of first daughters with Elizabeth as a middle name. Carole Elizabeth, Catherine Elizabeth and now Charlotte Elizabeth). Same goes for Frances.

I would like to see Francis used for either gender actually. Francis Lupton was great-great grandfather (father of Olive Lupton). Olive had a brother Francis and she named her son Peter Francis. Peter named his son Michael Francis. It would be fitting if Michael's daughter used Francis as a middle name.

I don't see why neither Harry or William would use Charles. They are both close to their father. I don't see why they would snub him. Charlotte seems to be an honor already to her grandfather.

What do you think of Frances Ruth for a daughter? Ruth would be in honor of Princess Diana's grandmother Ruth, Lady Fermoy.

What do you think of Frances Ruth for a daughter? Ruth would be in honor of Princess Diana's grandmother Ruth, Lady Fermoy.

That is Diana's mother's name, Frances Ruth. Frances Shand-Kydd was named after not only her mother but both grandmothers. Her paternal grandmother was American Frances Work, her paternal grandmother was Ruth Littlejohn.

Honestly I don't see them using it. Both names are quite old fashioned, and not in the trendy way. While Charlotte and George are old fashioned, they are the among those old names becoming trendy again. I hope to see Frances used, but even it I don't see being used as a first name.

I really do hope with kid 3 we get an outright honor to the Middletons in there. I mean Charlotte and Elizabeth are slight nods in that way but that's as close.

Last edited:
I would like to see the name Frances for a daughter reserved for Harry's use. Its a nod to Harry's American ancestor, Frances Ellen Work. With Meghan being an American, I think it would make a nice connection.

I'm still on board with Alice being used for a girl's name after Philip's mother and Philip for a boy honoring the DoE.

I would like to see the name Frances for a daughter reserved for Harry's use. Its a nod to Harry's American ancestor, Frances Ellen Work. With Meghan being an American, I think it would make a nice connection.

I'm still on board with Alice being used for a girl's name after Philip's mother and Philip for a boy honoring the DoE.

If it is used as a middle name, and I don't see Frances as a first name for Harry's future possible daughter either, both brothers could use it. In fairness both wives have a link to the name. Meghan's American connection, Kate it is a family name. Honestly the Middleton connection in fairness is stronger.

But if Harry didn't want to reuse a name his brother used, since William used Diana, then Harry could in fairness have Frances.

I don't think cousins sharing the same middle names is a problem at all, especially when honoring ancestors with the same degree of relationship.

Frances is not at all fashionable so I don't see W&C choosing it.
Besides, 'Princess Frances' doesn't sound good. Too hissy, like Cecilia.

I think most folks here are calling for Frances/Francis to be used as one of the middle names not the primary name.

LaRae

Latest odds

Paddy Power has suspended bets on the baby being a girl. 3-1 her being called Mary.

Ladbrokes has Mary at odds of 7-1, followed by Alice and Victoria at 8-1 and Alexandra at 16-1

Albert or Arthur are 12-1 for a baby boy.

Last edited:
I am betting on a boy, but I don’t like the name Phillip

I don't either, but anything is better than Albert.

I think it will be a boy and am hoping they will go with Michael.

(I know there is Prince Michael of Kent, but he is not a working member of the RF.)

:previous: Love Michael but don't see it happening. And not because of Prince Michael.

They have chosen very traditional Georgian names, in George and Charlotte. Predictable and a tad boring. Michael doesn't fit the mold. Same reason as much as I'd love Philip, if there is a new Philip this year I think it would be Zara if she has a boy.

I do hope this baby, if a boy, does include Michael. Had thought George would.

For a Princess' middle name, Joan or Joanna could be used. Joan had been used in the Scottish Royal Family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom