The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
No of course it was not unexpected. charlotte is a very "conventional royal and upper class name." Its alos, as you Say Frideswide the feminine of Charles and a variant of Carole. its Philippa Ms second name.
I think it, Alexandra and ALice were highly favoured names by the bookies before Charl was born...
Oh I agree Charlotte is conventional, royal and upper class, etc etc... I just remember reading (at the time) a lot of opinion that it wouldn’t be used because of it’s history specifically in the Royal family. Thanks for the tip on bookies, I guess that’s where I should get my information!

Old 10-27-2017, 03:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I think Sophia may be a contender.
William and Kate seem to favor the Georgian names, it is currently fashionable, and it has been used in the past by the RF.

I hope they get away from the Georgians for a boy, or the poor kid might get stuck with Adolphus or Augustus or something!

I don't see any future royal baby, either in the UK or Sweden getting Adolphus/Adoph for obvious reasons even if a family name.

Certainly Augustus is not the only other Georgian option. Alfred, Albert, Ernest (not like IMO), Arthur, Frederick and Victor would all be possibilities. But I too would love them to break out of the Georgian era and go further back.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lea View Post
Oh I agree Charlotte is conventional, royal and upper class, etc etc... I just remember reading (at the time) a lot of opinion that it wouldn’t be used because of it’s history specifically in the Royal family. Thanks for the tip on bookies, I guess that’s where I should get my information!
I think before George was born the bookies had a big surge of bets on Alexandra at one stage.. and it turned out that George DID have the name Alexander in his names.. maybe something had leaked out.
I don't think the RF are MEGA supersititious, there are a few names that they don't like, I think John is one. but there has been sadness attached to the name John for Q Alexandra's son and also Q Marys.
SO I wouldn't expect a senior royal son to be called Prince John.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:33 AM
Nobility

Didn't Diana also have a brother John who died in infancy? That said, it was her father's name so the Cambridge children had a great-grandfather named John.

Personally I think it's time for John to return and break the supposed jinx. As I said before though, I don't think they would choose it anyway because it's unfashionable.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:24 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm inclining towards the supposition that rather eventual Harry & Meghan's son could be named John (wedding in 2018, baby son in 2019? - full 100 years after the passing of Prince John Windsor).
Old 10-28-2017, 05:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I don't see any future royal baby, either in the UK or Sweden getting Adolphus/Adoph for obvious reasons even if a family name.

Certainly Augustus is not the only other Georgian option. Alfred, Albert, Ernest (not like IMO), Arthur, Frederick and Victor would all be possibilities. But I too would love them to break out of the Georgian era and go further back.
And on the girls side, there are certainly more options than just Alice. Amelia, Mary, and Sophia are all in the Georgian wheelhouse, moreso than Alice, which I think is much more Victorian and Edwardian. In the Victorian/Edwardian strain we have Maud, Helena, and Alexandra.

If it's a girl, and when considering baby naming trends, I lean toward Alice, Amelia, Mary, and Maud as the top contenders.

I have to agree with those who are hedging bets on Frederick, Alfred or Arthur for a boy.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
Didn't Diana also have a brother John who died in infancy? That said, it was her father's name so the Cambridge children had a great-grandfather named John.

Personally I think it's time for John to return and break the supposed jinx. As I said before though, I don't think they would choose it anyway because it's unfashionable.
Her father was technically Edward John, though he was nicknamed Johnnie. Just like one of two Windsors named prince John, was Alexander John. But yes, a year before Diana was born, the couple's first son John died only 10 hours after birth.

The name was considered unlucky before Mary and George V used it. Due to King John and then Alexander John, the son of Edward VII. Alexander died at a day old.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:04 PM
Commoner

Though I don't see the Cambridges using Maud or Helena, I can't say I'd be disappointed if they did. While I really do love both Alice and Amelia, I really love Maud and Helena, too. I think we're far more likely to see Alice or Amelia but who knows.

I was expecting an Arthur, possibly a Michael or a Philip for a boy but I can't say I'd be terribly disappointed in a Frederick. I doubt we'll see a Henry and I really don't think we'll see Alfred or Ernest but again, who knows.

I know a lot of people wish the Cambridges would use more "modern" names but I have to say that I love the fact that they use classic, timeless, "old fashioned" names even if they are somewhat forced to by their positions.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:27 PM
Commoner

For a boy: Douglas or Albert
For a girl: Maria or Rosalind

These are old names but considering they have to be royal and most of the good ones are taken these are pretty decent choices.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Nobility

I certainly wouldn't want to see them choose a "modern" name, but it would be refreshing to see a name that hasn't appeared in the RF before, or not held by a prominent member.

I'm sure there's no obligation for there to be a royal precedent. Someone always has to be first! For instance, one of Edward VII's daughters was named Maud. I can't think of an earlier occurrence of this name in the RF, except for its being a version of Matilda and we are looking back a long way there.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
I'm sure there's no obligation for there to be a royal precedent. Someone always has to be first! For instance, one of Edward VII's daughters was named Maud. I can't think of an earlier occurrence of this name in the RF, except for its being a version of Matilda and we are looking back a long way there.

Freddie Windsor's elder daughter is named Maud, so it is still in use in the RF.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Freddie Windsor's elder daughter is named Maud, so it is still in use in the RF.
Yes! She must be about the same age as George.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Exactly So they are hardly going to give a new child the same name as one of G's cousins and probable playmates. Princess Alice was a Maud, it was her second name, and I tink that's where Princess Maud who became queen of Norway got it from.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:34 PM
Nobility

George and Maud are classmates, next to being third-cousins-once-removed and possibly playmates. So, that pleads against using that name. Would Rose be an option as another name that has been used both as middle name and as first name for a less prominent royal (the duke of Gloucester's daughter)? I also like Jane; traditional, royal (9-day queen); and a Spencer name and can also be found in Catherine's family tree.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:45 PM
Nobility

I didn't suggest Maud as a possibility.

I was looking for examples of first names being used for the first time in the immediate Royal Family. And not counting names that may have been second, third or fourth given names.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think thtat Jane's a possibility. Not sure about Rose.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I think these are possible candidates:

Alice
Victoria
Alexandra
Margaret
Sophie/Sophia
Marie

Arthur
Leopold
Alfred
Christian
Fredrick
Albert
David
Old 10-30-2017, 06:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Not Alexandra and problaby not Sophie...
for the boys names, I don't think Leopold which sounds very Germanic is at ALL likely...Maybe Alfred is due for a comeback, or possibly Prince David.. as they did live in wales...
Old 10-30-2017, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I have to say that I hope they have a girl, because I just don't care for most of the male names that have been mentioned.

The only ones I like are already in use.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:21 PM
Nobility

Here are some names that are different and not unsuitable, none of which they will choose.

Anthony
Julian
Adam
Victor
Jonathan
Robert
Marcus