The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-24-2017, 01:26 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Olive wasn’t Kate grandmother. Olive Middleton was her Paternal Great Grandmother. Mike’s mom who worked at Bletchley Park was named Valerie.
My mistake. I was killing a few minutes at work and didn't have all of the notes in front of my. Perhaps we may not see anything in the name that comes from her side of the family. I'd like to think we will but I won't hold my breath.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:33 PM
Nobility

I really doubt David would get the ok as a first name while the Queen is alive. There's just too much baggage from her own lifetime associated with it. Maybe it would be all right for one of the rarely-mentioned middle names.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:48 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Harry has David as one of his names. Although I think its very unlikely that this third child, should it be a male, will be named David, the name David is still used within the royal family. Even with all the baggage that remains associated with the name and the dismay of the abdication, I believe that HM remained fond of her Uncle David.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
I really doubt David would get the ok as a first name while the Queen is alive. There's just too much baggage from her own lifetime associated with it. Maybe it would be all right for one of the rarely-mentioned middle names.
The Queen's nephew (Princess Margaret's son) is named David, so clearly it wasn't seen as a problem even while the Duke of Windsor was alive.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent

The non royal nephew of the Queen is different from a royal prince. It’s the same reason why Zara can be Zara but George or Charlotte weren’t going to be Buddy and Phoebe.

David Armstrong Jones more likely named for Patron Saint of Wales (Tony being Welsh) than for Uncle David.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
The non royal nephew of the Queen is different from a royal prince. It’s the same reason why Zara can be Zara but George or Charlotte weren’t going to be Buddy and Phoebe.

David Armstrong Jones more likely named for Patron Saint of Wales (Tony being Welsh) than for Uncle David.
'Uncle David' was also named for the patron saint. As we all know, it wasn't his first name and he didn't use it as his regnal name, so I don't see any issue.

My point about David Linley/Armstrong Jones was that there is clearly no personal aversion to the name within the close family.

That said, I doubt the Cambridges would choose David, simply because the name is currently out of fashion.
(Actually I see to my surprise it's in the top 50, although I don't know of any little Davids. So who knows.)
Old 10-25-2017, 04:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I don’t like Olive but that’s the name of Kate’s paternal great grandmother. Peter Middleton’s mother. Everyone harping about Alice because it was Philip’s mother’s name. So Kate’s side of distant grandmothers should be allowed too.
Just because you don't like a name, doesn't make the suggestion Harping. Alice just seems a popular choice.

Names from Kate's side are certainly not off the table. But ones with no royal connection, are less likely to be used as a first name for a royal child. Just the reality with kids so close to the throne. They may surprise us.

Alice is not just Philip's mother's name. It is a British royal name. The daughter of Queen Victoria (mother of Empress Alix), the late Countess of Althone, and the late Duchess of Gloucester were all Alice. So the name certainly has a British royal history as well.

It also made the list for George as it seems Kate wrote a college dissertation on Alice in wonderland, said to be a favorite. Who knows.

It would be nice if Peter or Valerie were included to honor her grandparents. Peter Middleton had a very nice link to Prince Philip of course. Also tie in William's cousin.

Princess Alice Valerie Rose- named for two women who played important roles in WWII, who definitely could be a legacy for any little girl. Princess Alice (righteous among nations) and Valerie who was a code breaker.

Prince Philip Michael Peter-paternal grandfathers of both mom and dad, both served in war. Michael for her dad since Charles was honored in Charlotte.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:45 AM

People here aren't necessarily harping about Alice, but the general uninformed public is. Have you seen the tabloids? Ick. "It's a girl and she'll be named Alice!" Every single pregnancy. Most outrageous: "Kate revealed her pregnancy to Will by giving him a letter from the perspective of their daughter Alice" and "Kate tells G & C by giving them pink cupcakes!" Not even joking. And people believe it! I've seen comments like "I can't wait to see George, Charlotte, and little Alice together" in multiple forms.

Personally, I like the name Alice. It was high in my girl list years ago. However, if I were Kate, I feel like I'd be wary of using the name--no matter how much she apparently likes it, dissertation and all--as it would be so predictable and the media would have a field day. Not to mention I bet she and Will hear the name with bad taste after the media's obsession with it for two, now three pregnancies. Probably have a few inside jokes too. We all know how much W dislikes the media..

That said, if they did go with Alice I wouldn't be tooo shocked (eh, well I'd be pretty surprised)
Old 10-25-2017, 07:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Kate’s university dissertation was not about Alice in Wonderland but the photographs taken by its author Lewis Carroll. It was titled Angels from Heaven: Lewis Carroll’s Photographic Interpretation of Childhood.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:01 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Another female name that they may use that would be a bit different yet very historically meaningful would be Alexandrina. A Princess Drina would be kind of cute.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I have a feeling they will go with something that will 'tie in' with George/Charlotte.

LaRae
Old 10-26-2017, 08:55 AM
Nobility

They’ve selected a name many expected (George) and a name few expected (Charlotte). In doing so they’ve shown themselves immune to public opinion and superstition. So Alice could be used even if expected and David could be used even if considered bad luck or bad form or whatever.

If a boy, I expect to see Phillip and Michael in the name. Perhaps Phillip Michael Peter or Michael James Phillip.

If a girl, and if they’ve decided to stop at three, we could see either Philippa or Michaela as middle names.

If a girl, and if Kate’s thesis plays into it, perhaps Louise Carole as middle names.... or if you want to go all out, Alice Louise Carole.

Personally, I would love Mary as the first name for a girl. I love the way Jude Law pronounces it in the Sherlock Holmes movies.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:16 AM
Heir Apparent

There is a Louise already (Lady Louise Windsor) in the family.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lea View Post
They’ve selected a name many expected (George) and a name few expected (Charlotte).
Oh, I don't think Charlotte was an unexpected choice at all.

Name of previous Queen Consort, and Princesses (including heir to the throne).
No current member of the RF called Charlotte.
Name currently fashionable.
Variant of grandfather's name (Charles).
Variant of grandmother's name (Carole).
Old 10-26-2017, 12:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

No of course it was not unexpected. charlotte is a very "conventional royal and upper class name." Its alos, as you Say Frideswide the feminine of Charles and a variant of Carole. its Philippa Ms second name.
I think it, Alexandra and ALice were highly favoured names by the bookies before Charl was born...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
The Queen's nephew (Princess Margaret's son) is named David, so clearly it wasn't seen as a problem even while the Duke of Windsor was alive.
David was the name of one of the Q Mothter's brothers, I think a much loved one and that's why David Linley was so called.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
David was the name of one of the Q Mothter's brothers, I think a much loved one and that's why David Linley was so called.
Yes, the queen mum's only younger sibling. David Bowes-Lyon died at Birkhall in September 1961. His sister sadly found him dead. Margaret was pregnant at the time (David Armstrong-Jones was born about six weeks later November 3).
Old 10-26-2017, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Sophia may be a contender.
William and Kate seem to favor the Georgian names, it is currently fashionable, and it has been used in the past by the RF.

I hope they get away from the Georgians for a boy, or the poor kid might get stuck with Adolphus or Augustus or something!
Old 10-26-2017, 04:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
David was the name of one of the Q Mother's brothers, I think a much loved one and that's why David Linley was so called.
Ah, so there were two Uncle Davids. I had forgotten that.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Both George abd Charlotte were safe choices well within the scope of British royal tradition. I believe they will follow that pattern for the third child. If it is a girl, the first given name might be Alice; if it is a boy, it may be Arthur or Alfred.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Both George abd Charlotte were safe choices well within the scope of British royal tradition. I believe they will follow that pattern for the third child. If it is a girl, the first given name might be Alice; if it is a boy, it may be Arthur or Alfred.
I agree. George and Charlotte were both top contenders for the prior two pregnancies both with royal watchers and with the press. There were really only a handful of names they could realistically use for a first born boy and future King. The options for girls were a little more plentiful but not unlimited.

With a third baby who's very unlikely to ever be the monarch they'd have a little more freedom to branch out if they wanted, but now they need to find something that goes well with the other two names. Alice has been brought up over and over for each pregnancy, but it's a pretty name and fits well George and Charlotte. Arthur would be nice for a boy, as would David.

I'd very much like to see a little Philip but not sure how likely that is.