The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-21-2017, 09:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Well it is said the queen has the right to nix any names, so I'd say her opinion at least would be consulted.

I don't see her having an issue though unless they really decide to follow the trend of some of the upper crust friends of late. The trend for boring 'classic names' is not as common among the aristocracy as some people think. The late Duke of Westminster has a grandchildren such as Wolf and Zia. You'd be surprised at some of the names you'd find among the off spring of the aristocracy if you look.

But as long as they don't propose Prince Oak of Cambridge, the queen will be pretty open.
We don't know Wolf and Zia's full names. Perhaps, Zia is Anastasia after her great-great-grandmother who was known as Zia (Countess Anastasia de Torby).

Old 10-21-2017, 11:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Zara was 6th in line to throne when she was named. Baby C will be 5th. I don't think the Queen would over rule the name picked by the parents.
She was sixth in line with three uncles who had no children yet and were expected to have children ahead of her. Not to mention her older brother. Baby Cambridge will one day be 3rd in line. Zara went down a place when she was 13 months and kept going.

So yes, baby Cambridge is a very different situation then plain Miss Zara Philipps. But as I said, as long as they don't go crazy like Prince Oak, I highly doubt the queen would get too bothered.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:18 PM
Nobility

Indeed, big difference. A non-titled family member vs a HRH prince(ss) of Cambridge (future HRH prince(ss) of Cornwall & Cambridge; future HRH prince(ss) of Wales; future HRH The prince(ss) X) as child of the future king... But I am sure the queen is not worried at all based on the names of the current Cambridge prince and princess.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:10 AM
Heir Apparent

It seems unlikely to me that names would not be run by the Queen and Charles, et al. How peculiar it would be for HM to discover the name of her great-grandchild at the christening!
Old 10-22-2017, 12:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
It seems unlikely to me that names would not be run by the Queen and Charles, et al. How peculiar it would be for HM to discover the name of her great-grandchild at the christening!
Well since the BRF doesn't wait until the christening like the Danes to announce, I don't think that would be a concern

But yes, I don't expect to see the queen waiting for the news of the name over her corn flakes like the rest of us.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Of course they will run the name by her. And She would certainly nix any unusual name.. but I don't think that Will and Kate have enough imagination anyway to think of something unusual. The aristociracy do often choose unusual names but the RF doesn't....
Old 10-22-2017, 08:34 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Is it truly common for family members to give input for baby names? I will admit that I made a suggestion (direction in which to think beforehand - no advice after they picked them) for middle names for my second nephew that my brother and sister-in-law took up but we had surely no say in (or were asked for advice for) the names of all other nieces and nephews. I know only one person who ran the names of her unborn child by almost anyone - not just her family but also us as colleagues (they ended up changing the name a few weeks before he was born!) - which I considered very unusual but maybe less so in the States (where this happened)?

So, it might be my cultural bias that I would not expect William and Catherine to discuss the names of their unborn child with family members - and certainly not after they made a (temporary) decision.
I certainly don't think it's uncommon to check a name out with certain close friends or relatives, who may pick up on something that the parents may have missed. A name can have unfortunate connotations or associations, or (for another example) result in embarrassing initials.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

For some reason i don't think the queen or P.Charles would even want to veto a name; but if they decide to name the child something from the " Jamie Oliver list of baby names" i do think her majesty would raise her eyebrows and say "Really?" with one of her famous facial expressions
Old 10-22-2017, 08:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Of course they will run the name by her. And She would certainly nix any unusual name.. but I don't think that Will and Kate have enough imagination anyway to think of something unusual. The aristociracy do often choose unusual names but the RF doesn't....
I feel sure that the Queen wouldn't disapprove of a name merely because it was unusual. She might advise against a name that might have an undesirable association, as she did when the Yorks were considering Annabel, but I don't think she would impose her own personal preferences.

I do agree that William and Kate seem to have very conventional taste in names.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't know what the evidence is that the Yorks were considering Annabel. I think that given Sara's "puppy like" attempts to show how much she was au fait with the RF and queen Victoraia, she was always considering one of Victoria's names.. like Beatrice..
But I think the queen would veto names if they were too unusual...
Not for children far away from the Throne like Zara Phillips or other ones like the Gloucesters children..but for Will and kate's children yes....
Old 10-22-2017, 11:06 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I imagine that the Queen would let her opinion be known to Will and Kate should they really pick something quite unusual but yet historically British like Æthelred (of Wessex). It would really be a giggle though if the Spencer genes shone through with this child and they could call him/her "Red" for short.

William and Kate are astute enough to know that this child's name will always be in the public eye, stick with him/her for life and they're not going to go off the deep end with something like Æthelred. I do think that this child will have a rather conventional and traditional name.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh come, I doubt if the pair of them would know about Etheldred! I don't think they are likely to even push sligthly outside the box, but the queen would certainly have the names run by her...
what does anyone think the chances are that the next weill be a boy? I'm not good at statistics - but in some of the RF, they've had "boy, girl boy", (Ed Duke of Kent) and others have had Boy, girl, Girl.. like the D of Gloucester and George St Andrews...
Old 10-22-2017, 11:18 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
William and Kate are astute enough to know that this child's name will always be in the public eye, stick with him/her for life and they're not going to go off the deep end with something like Æthelred. I do think that this child will have a rather conventional and traditional name.
I agree. But there are plenty of classic traditional names that have seldom, or never, appeared in the immediate RF. Sadly I don't expect them to be even that imaginative though. I would love to be proved wrong.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

David if it’s a boy. Caroline if it’s a girl.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-22-2017, 11:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

I just don't see either name, Caroline and Charlotte are boht female versions of Charles..and rather too similar. And David? Mmm, Not sure they'd want to use Uncle David's name. But considering they did live in Wales for some time, Its possible a Welsh name would be nice.. I just can't think of a male one other than Rhys or Owen, orEvan.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Oh come, I doubt if the pair of them would know about Etheldred!
Assuming you mean Ethelred, why ever would you think that two highly educated people would not know about Anglo-Saxon kings?
Old 10-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
Assuming you mean Ethelred, why ever would you think that two highly educated people would not know about Anglo-Saxon kings?
Just because they have university degrees, doesn't mean they know anything about history. They studied geography and art history. But I would hope that the future king might know something about the history of the kings before him. Even that far back.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
David if it’s a boy. Caroline if it’s a girl.
I like David...not a fan of Caro

LaRae
Old 10-22-2017, 03:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
Who says they're highly educated.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:02 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Just for the record, I am not even British, am older and just have a little bit of university under my belt as far as an education and I know who Æthelred of Wessex was. I'd be hard pressed to write an essay on this person as I'd be quite unready (pun intended) to do so but I knew enough to think of his name.