The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #301  
Old 10-19-2017, 01:39 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: St. Charles, United States
Posts: 132
Why would they have to pick a name from royalty? Kate has a family and she might have a name she wants her third child to have. She might want to honor her mother or grandmother or her father or someone from his side of the family. We'll see. I would think a third child could have any sort of name without people going nuts over it.

And, Olga is a hideous name for any child, IMO.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 10-19-2017, 02:03 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 253
I wish I could be a fly on the wall during their name brainstorming, not only to know which names they're considering but to see what degree of freedom Will and Kate have to choose for themselves. Do the Queen and Prince Charles offer suggestions? Do they come up with a collection of names and run them by Her Majesty for feedback? Or are they given completely free reign?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 10-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 308
I'm sure that as in most families, they will listen to suggestions and any advice given. I feel that they will choose a name that's not necessarily royal, but very much in fashion with the middle and upper classes. For instance, they might consider Grace for a girl - but it might be suggested that the association of "Princess Grace" with Grace of Monaco is too strong.
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 10-19-2017, 03:10 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Mae View Post
Why would they have to pick a name from royalty? Kate has a family and she might have a name she wants her third child to have. She might want to honor her mother or grandmother or her father or someone from his side of the family. We'll see. I would think a third child could have any sort of name without people going nuts over it.

And, Olga is a hideous name for any child, IMO.
Because it is a royal child. They're not likely to call the baby Sunshine or Brick. It will be a conventional Royal/upper class name. And if she DOES want to honour her onwn family I haven't seen any real sign of it. She could have given George or Charlotte a second or third name from her own side of the family and doesn't seem to have.. unless yu count charlotte Being Philippa's second name.
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 10-19-2017, 03:25 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Because it is a royal child. They're not likely to call the baby Sunshine or Brick. It will be a conventional Royal/upper class name. And if she DOES want to honour her onwn family I haven't seen any real sign of it. She could have given George or Charlotte a second or third name from her own side of the family and doesn't seem to have.. unless yu count charlotte Being Philippa's second name.


Elizabeth is a Middleton family name. It's Catherine's and Carole's middle name and they used it for Charlotte.

The Middleton name are common British names, Catherine Elizabeth, Philippa Charlotte, James William, Michael Francis, Carole Elizabeth. William, James, Michael, Elizabeth, Charlotte, Catherine all names used by royals.
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 10-19-2017, 03:33 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: St. Charles, United States
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Because it is a royal child. They're not likely to call the baby Sunshine or Brick. It will be a conventional Royal/upper class name. And if she DOES want to honour her onwn family I haven't seen any real sign of it. She could have given George or Charlotte a second or third name from her own side of the family and doesn't seem to have.. unless yu count charlotte Being Philippa's second name.
I made no suggestion that the baby would be given a silly name. I am merely suggesting that the name might be something unexpected from Kate's side of the family. After all, Charlotte's name has the first initial of her grandmother and mother (C) and the middle name of her grandmother and mother (Elizabeth), which evidently is some sort of tradition among Carole's family members. (In addition to Charlotte being Pippa's middle name.) So it seems that Kate has a lot of say when it comes to naming her children.

A third child need not have an old-fashioned "royal" name. The again, who knows. Speculation is fine but none of us have any idea so there is no need to argue about what we don't know. That's all I have to say about the matter. I'll post again about names when Baby Three is born and the announcement of a name is posted on the gates. Until then, I'm bored with this conversation.
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 10-19-2017, 05:10 PM
Princess Larisa's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: ., Croatia
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post

I’m reading that Arthur and Albert are currently popular UK baby names. Is this true? !
Yes, Arthur was #30 and Albert was #64 in 2016 in England/Wales and both are rising.
For more popularity stats see:
https://www.behindthename.com/top/lists/england-wales
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 10-21-2017, 01:14 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 308
Yes, both on a slow but steady rise.

Placings from 2012 to 2016:

Arthur 52, 43, 41, 37, 30
Albert 109, 99, 84, 72, 64
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 10-21-2017, 01:39 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 9,452
If we're going along the lines of male "A" names, something different yet pertinent to the monarchy would be to use the name Alfred. A little kid running around being called Prince Alfie might actually be cute.

Of course the name Alfred could be shortened to Alf which makes me giggle as I remember a very lovable, furry alien that won our hearts decades ago.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 10-21-2017, 03:24 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,589
I love Alfred. But yes, I have the same image when I hear Alf.

Its always hard to find a balance. Choosing a name that is royal enough, but still personal. Kate is lucky, in that her family has many royal names in the family tree to choose from. So like using Elizabeth and Charlotte, choosing names that are both royal names but ones from her tree, kills two birds. Fortunately the Middletons have a lot of classic English and royal names in their tree. Or ones connected to the Spencers.

-Francis
-Michael
-Richard
-James
-John
-Frederick
-William
-Peter
-Jane
-Mary
-Amelia
-Philippa

Looking back into the extended family, not direct ancestors:
-Elinor
-Arthur
-Charles
-Isabella

Its easy to be able to choose a name to honor both families. Not all royal brides could say that.
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 10-21-2017, 07:49 PM
crm2317's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,293
I also love the idea of a Prince Alfred. He could go by the nickname of Alfie in the same way his uncle goes by Harry instead of Henry.
__________________
God Save the House of Windsor
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 10-21-2017, 08:20 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 3,031
An Alfie would be a tear-up, wouldn't he? Would have to be with that name.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 10-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Peru
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
I'm sure that as in most families, they will listen to suggestions and any advice given. I feel that they will choose a name that's not necessarily royal, but very much in fashion with the middle and upper classes. For instance, they might consider Grace for a girl - but it might be suggested that the association of "Princess Grace" with Grace of Monaco is too strong.
Is it truly common for family members to give input for baby names? I will admit that I made a suggestion (direction in which to think beforehand - no advice after they picked them) for middle names for my second nephew that my brother and sister-in-law took up but we had surely no say in (or were asked for advice for) the names of all other nieces and nephews. I know only one person who ran the names of her unborn child by almost anyone - not just her family but also us as colleagues (they ended up changing the name a few weeks before he was born!) - which I considered very unusual but maybe less so in the States (where this happened)?

So, it might be my cultural bias that I would not expect William and Catherine to discuss the names of their unborn child with family members - and certainly not after they made a (temporary) decision.
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 10-21-2017, 08:45 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Is it truly common for family members to give input for baby names? I will admit that I made a suggestion (direction in which to think beforehand - no advice after they picked them) for middle names for my second nephew that my brother and sister-in-law took up but we had surely no say in (or were asked for advice for) the names of all other nieces and nephews. I know only one person who ran the names of her unborn child by almost anyone - not just her family but also us as colleagues (they ended up changing the name a few weeks before he was born!) - which I considered very unusual but maybe less so in the States (where this happened)?

So, it might be my cultural bias that I would not expect William and Catherine to discuss the names of their unborn child with family members - and certainly not after they made a (temporary) decision.
I wouldn't think so, unless as a courtesy they run a name by the Queen.

This was just us but my husband and I didn't even share our chosen names with anyone until our children were born. People were less likely to express their like or dislike of a name once the child had it.
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 10-21-2017, 08:59 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,589
Well it is said the queen has the right to nix any names, so I'd say her opinion at least would be consulted.

I don't see her having an issue though unless they really decide to follow the trend of some of the upper crust friends of late. The trend for boring 'classic names' is not as common among the aristocracy as some people think. The late Duke of Westminster has a grandchildren such as Wolf and Zia. You'd be surprised at some of the names you'd find among the off spring of the aristocracy if you look.

But as long as they don't propose Prince Oak of Cambridge, the queen will be pretty open.
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 10-21-2017, 09:07 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, United States
Posts: 2,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Well it is said the queen has the right to nix any names, so I'd say her opinion at least would be consulted.

I don't see her having an issue though unless they really decide to follow the trend of some of the upper crust friends of late. The trend for boring 'classic names' is not as common among the aristocracy as some people think. The late Duke of Westminster has a grandchildren such as Wolf and Zia. You'd be surprised at some of the names you'd find among the off spring of the aristocracy if you look.

But as long as they don't propose Prince Oak of Cambridge, the queen will be pretty open.
The queen has a granddaughter named Zara. And a great granddaughter name Mia.
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 10-21-2017, 09:15 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
The queen has a granddaughter named Zara. And a great granddaughter name Mia.
Female line granddaughter quite far from the throne, and a private citizen. The third child of the future king is not comparable. Do I think they have relatively more freedom in this choice then in George and Charlotte? Most certainly. Do I think a name like Zara would be considered? No.
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 10-21-2017, 09:41 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,098
Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

Zara was 6th in line to throne when she was named. Baby C will be 5th. I don't think the Queen would over rule the name picked by the parents.
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 10-21-2017, 09:48 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Zara was 6th in line to throne when she was named. Baby C will be 5th. I don't think the Queen would over rule the name picked by the parents.
Unless it was Moonbeam or Chartreuse- but I think W&K are pretty traditional so I don't think they'd choose something that unusual.
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 10-21-2017, 09:57 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 5,673
Yeah W&K have a theme with names going....you can bet this baby will have a similarly Traditional name.


LaRae
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Madeleine & Chris's 3rd Child: Guess the Sex, Name, Godparents and Duchy An Ard Ri Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill and Family 26 11-17-2017 10:52 PM
Joachim & Marie's 2nd Baby - Guess the Name & Gender JessRulz Prince Joachim, Princess Marie and Family 354 05-20-2012 12:34 PM
Names for Märtha's 3rd baby Her_Majesty Princess Märtha Louise, Ari Behn and Family 69 10-02-2008 01:07 AM
Names for Willem-Alexander and Maxima's 3rd child Marengo King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and family 301 04-13-2007 09:03 AM
Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's First Pregnancy Jasl Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family 443 01-21-2006 06:47 AM




Popular Tags
baptism best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events david armstrong-jones denmark duchess of cambridge gala dress earl of snowdon fascism general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy nazi news pablo urdangarín picture of the week portugal prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar princess alexandra of luxembourg princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia gowns queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queenmother queen rania queen silvia state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises