The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-19-2017, 01:39 PM
Aristocracy

Why would they have to pick a name from royalty? Kate has a family and she might have a name she wants her third child to have. She might want to honor her mother or grandmother or her father or someone from his side of the family. We'll see. I would think a third child could have any sort of name without people going nuts over it.

And, Olga is a hideous name for any child, IMO.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:03 PM
Nobility

I wish I could be a fly on the wall during their name brainstorming, not only to know which names they're considering but to see what degree of freedom Will and Kate have to choose for themselves. Do the Queen and Prince Charles offer suggestions? Do they come up with a collection of names and run them by Her Majesty for feedback? Or are they given completely free reign?

Old 10-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Nobility

I'm sure that as in most families, they will listen to suggestions and any advice given. I feel that they will choose a name that's not necessarily royal, but very much in fashion with the middle and upper classes. For instance, they might consider Grace for a girl - but it might be suggested that the association of "Princess Grace" with Grace of Monaco is too strong.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Mae View Post
Why would they have to pick a name from royalty? Kate has a family and she might have a name she wants her third child to have. She might want to honor her mother or grandmother or her father or someone from his side of the family. We'll see. I would think a third child could have any sort of name without people going nuts over it.

And, Olga is a hideous name for any child, IMO.
Because it is a royal child. They're not likely to call the baby Sunshine or Brick. It will be a conventional Royal/upper class name. And if she DOES want to honour her onwn family I haven't seen any real sign of it. She could have given George or Charlotte a second or third name from her own side of the family and doesn't seem to have.. unless yu count charlotte Being Philippa's second name.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Because it is a royal child. They're not likely to call the baby Sunshine or Brick. It will be a conventional Royal/upper class name. And if she DOES want to honour her onwn family I haven't seen any real sign of it. She could have given George or Charlotte a second or third name from her own side of the family and doesn't seem to have.. unless yu count charlotte Being Philippa's second name.

Elizabeth is a Middleton family name. It's Catherine's and Carole's middle name and they used it for Charlotte.

The Middleton name are common British names, Catherine Elizabeth, Philippa Charlotte, James William, Michael Francis, Carole Elizabeth. William, James, Michael, Elizabeth, Charlotte, Catherine all names used by royals.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I made no suggestion that the baby would be given a silly name. I am merely suggesting that the name might be something unexpected from Kate's side of the family. After all, Charlotte's name has the first initial of her grandmother and mother (C) and the middle name of her grandmother and mother (Elizabeth), which evidently is some sort of tradition among Carole's family members. (In addition to Charlotte being Pippa's middle name.) So it seems that Kate has a lot of say when it comes to naming her children.

A third child need not have an old-fashioned "royal" name. The again, who knows. Speculation is fine but none of us have any idea so there is no need to argue about what we don't know. That's all I have to say about the matter. I'll post again about names when Baby Three is born and the announcement of a name is posted on the gates. Until then, I'm bored with this conversation.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post

I’m reading that Arthur and Albert are currently popular UK baby names. Is this true? !
Yes, Arthur was #30 and Albert was #64 in 2016 in England/Wales and both are rising.
For more popularity stats see:
https://www.behindthename.com/top/lists/england-wales
Old 10-21-2017, 01:14 PM
Nobility

Yes, both on a slow but steady rise.

Placings from 2012 to 2016:

Arthur 52, 43, 41, 37, 30
Albert 109, 99, 84, 72, 64
Old 10-21-2017, 01:39 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If we're going along the lines of male "A" names, something different yet pertinent to the monarchy would be to use the name Alfred. A little kid running around being called Prince Alfie might actually be cute.

Of course the name Alfred could be shortened to Alf which makes me giggle as I remember a very lovable, furry alien that won our hearts decades ago.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:24 PM
Majesty

I love Alfred. But yes, I have the same image when I hear Alf.

Its always hard to find a balance. Choosing a name that is royal enough, but still personal. Kate is lucky, in that her family has many royal names in the family tree to choose from. So like using Elizabeth and Charlotte, choosing names that are both royal names but ones from her tree, kills two birds. Fortunately the Middletons have a lot of classic English and royal names in their tree. Or ones connected to the Spencers.

-Francis
-Michael
-Richard
-James
-John
-Frederick
-William
-Peter
-Jane
-Mary
-Amelia
-Philippa

Looking back into the extended family, not direct ancestors:
-Elinor
-Arthur
-Charles
-Isabella

Its easy to be able to choose a name to honor both families. Not all royal brides could say that.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

I also love the idea of a Prince Alfred. He could go by the nickname of Alfie in the same way his uncle goes by Harry instead of Henry.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:20 PM
Heir Apparent

An Alfie would be a tear-up, wouldn't he? Would have to be with that name.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
I'm sure that as in most families, they will listen to suggestions and any advice given. I feel that they will choose a name that's not necessarily royal, but very much in fashion with the middle and upper classes. For instance, they might consider Grace for a girl - but it might be suggested that the association of "Princess Grace" with Grace of Monaco is too strong.
Is it truly common for family members to give input for baby names? I will admit that I made a suggestion (direction in which to think beforehand - no advice after they picked them) for middle names for my second nephew that my brother and sister-in-law took up but we had surely no say in (or were asked for advice for) the names of all other nieces and nephews. I know only one person who ran the names of her unborn child by almost anyone - not just her family but also us as colleagues (they ended up changing the name a few weeks before he was born!) - which I considered very unusual but maybe less so in the States (where this happened)?

So, it might be my cultural bias that I would not expect William and Catherine to discuss the names of their unborn child with family members - and certainly not after they made a (temporary) decision.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Is it truly common for family members to give input for baby names? I will admit that I made a suggestion (direction in which to think beforehand - no advice after they picked them) for middle names for my second nephew that my brother and sister-in-law took up but we had surely no say in (or were asked for advice for) the names of all other nieces and nephews. I know only one person who ran the names of her unborn child by almost anyone - not just her family but also us as colleagues (they ended up changing the name a few weeks before he was born!) - which I considered very unusual but maybe less so in the States (where this happened)?

So, it might be my cultural bias that I would not expect William and Catherine to discuss the names of their unborn child with family members - and certainly not after they made a (temporary) decision.
I wouldn't think so, unless as a courtesy they run a name by the Queen.

This was just us but my husband and I didn't even share our chosen names with anyone until our children were born. People were less likely to express their like or dislike of a name once the child had it.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:59 PM
Majesty

Well it is said the queen has the right to nix any names, so I'd say her opinion at least would be consulted.

I don't see her having an issue though unless they really decide to follow the trend of some of the upper crust friends of late. The trend for boring 'classic names' is not as common among the aristocracy as some people think. The late Duke of Westminster has a grandchildren such as Wolf and Zia. You'd be surprised at some of the names you'd find among the off spring of the aristocracy if you look.

But as long as they don't propose Prince Oak of Cambridge, the queen will be pretty open.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Well it is said the queen has the right to nix any names, so I'd say her opinion at least would be consulted.

I don't see her having an issue though unless they really decide to follow the trend of some of the upper crust friends of late. The trend for boring 'classic names' is not as common among the aristocracy as some people think. The late Duke of Westminster has a grandchildren such as Wolf and Zia. You'd be surprised at some of the names you'd find among the off spring of the aristocracy if you look.

But as long as they don't propose Prince Oak of Cambridge, the queen will be pretty open.
The queen has a granddaughter named Zara. And a great granddaughter name Mia.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
The queen has a granddaughter named Zara. And a great granddaughter name Mia.
Female line granddaughter quite far from the throne, and a private citizen. The third child of the future king is not comparable. Do I think they have relatively more freedom in this choice then in George and Charlotte? Most certainly. Do I think a name like Zara would be considered? No.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

Zara was 6th in line to throne when she was named. Baby C will be 5th. I don't think the Queen would over rule the name picked by the parents.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Zara was 6th in line to throne when she was named. Baby C will be 5th. I don't think the Queen would over rule the name picked by the parents.
Unless it was Moonbeam or Chartreuse- but I think W&K are pretty traditional so I don't think they'd choose something that unusual.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Yeah W&K have a theme with names going....you can bet this baby will have a similarly Traditional name.

LaRae