The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-15-2017, 11:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Marie has very CATHOLIC religious connotations (using Marie/Mary for religious reasons and not family reasons, tends to be a Catholic honor to the virgin mary, very non protestant thing to do) and French. Mary would be the more likely form in the UK. As there have been numerous in the family.

Why is it hard to understand that within *each* family there are names given for various reasons or no reason.........Marie is a name that does have religious meaning and at the same time in my family has family meaning.....both are valid reasons for the use of the name.......yes I am aware of the Catholic religion and how the name Marie fits into it....why is that so hard for anyone to understand and we are all *different* here.....

Old 10-15-2017, 11:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Sudden sense it's a boy, and.....Prince Alexander. We'll see.....

Old 10-15-2017, 11:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Why is it hard to understand that within *each* family there are names given for various reasons or no reason.........Marie is a name that does have religious meaning and at the same time in my family has family meaning.....both are valid reasons for the use of the name.......yes I am aware of the Catholic religion and how the name Marie fits into it....why is that so hard for anyone to understand and we are all *different* here.....
How is this about you and I being different. I am so confused

We aren't talking about you and me, or our differing personal choices. At least I wasn't. We're talking about the British royal family.

You are the one who suggested Marie as a religious connection. For an Anglican family, the idea of naming a child for the virgin Mary, is unlikely. If it was a Catholic royal family like the Belgians, its a very popular name.

Mary on the other hand is a historical English royal name. While it has a link to religion, it would be a nod to people like the queen's grandmother.

I apologize if you think it was an attack on your Personal taste in names. I thought we were discussing the Cambridges choice in names. Marie may suit your family. It would indeed suit mine, I am catholic, and one of the few women without Mary in my name. But the Windsors are Anglican. That was my point. My bad.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:51 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Just on an odd note here. I named my daughter Maria. I am not Catholic and in fact, not even Christian and not of a heritage that normally used Maria as a name. Neither were my mother who was named Mary and my grandmother whose name was Marie although they both were devout Catholics.

It used to be a long, long time ago in ancient Egypt that the name was the most important thing that is given to someone. There was a strict belief that each time a name was spoken aloud, it was a blessing on the person.

Will and Kate will pick a name that resonates with them and their child. I really don't think religion would play any part in it but, of course, tradition will as it does in most families. To be honest, I think if they were to use any form of the name Mary, it would be May as that is what Queen Mary of Teck was known as.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
A Princess named .... I like to know about a person's name for it says something about who they are.
since it is chosne for them, it says more about their parents, I would say.

I'd say they'll opt for plain old Mary, if they Do chose that name.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
since it is chosne for them, it says more about their parents, I would say.
Even though a parent chooses the name of their child many times that name has a meaning or a special reason for being chosen, as the child grows and learns about his or her name and the meaning it can help that child to develop and make strong choices for their life........that shows character in anyone. Many times families hand down a name that has been in the family for generations and is written in family logs like the family bible. All names mean something when given to a child at birth.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:42 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Then again, on the other hand, you have people like the Olympic swimming icon Michael Phelps who actually gave his firstborn son the name "Boomer Robert Phelps". It was meaningful to him though as that is what his beloved coach was called. I almost named my son Brian Boru but ended up with Scott as a middle name.

Most parents do take their time and find what they feel is the best name for their offspring and Will and Kate will be no different. Or they may go totally outside of the box. We'll just have to wait and see and maybe be surprised.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Even though a parent chooses the name of their child many times that name has a meaning or a special reason for being chosen, as the child grows and learns about his or her name and the meaning it can help that child to develop and make strong choices for their life........that shows character in anyone. Many times families hand down a name that has been in the family for generations and is written in family logs like the family bible. All names mean somethin The g when given to a child at birth.
Or the parents find a name they both like that goes with their last name, no special or hidden meanings at all. I think the baby will get a name his/her parents like.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

I was thinking that perhaps they'd choose Isabella for a girl. It's a classic name of several Queen Consorts, and it is a bit trendy now (just as Charlotte was).

But Freddie Windsor and his wife just named their baby Isabella, so perhaps that will rule it out.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:02 PM
Nobility

I do not think any name would be discarded out of superstition because it's "unlucky". If this was so, the Queen would hardly have given her son and heir the name Charles.

Charlotte has tragic connotations as the last Princess Charlotte, heir to George IV, died in childbirth at the age of 21. This didn't put William & Kate off naming their daughter Charlotte.

I don't think they will name a son John, not for superstitious reasons, but because the name John is deeply unfashionable now. They have chosen names that are currently very popular, and for the same reason they are more likely to choose Alice rather than Mary or Victoria, both of which are out of fashion.

I'd like to think they would be more imaginative, but I don't hold out much hope. I expect it to be a current top twenty name like Amelia, Olivia or Isabella.
Same with boys - likely to be something popular like Arthur or Alfred (Alfie/Freddie). I would rule out Albert because "Prince Albert" is now a widely known term for a male genital piercing.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I was thinking that perhaps they'd choose Isabella for a girl. It's a classic name of several Queen Consorts, and it is a bit trendy now (just as Charlotte was).

But Freddie Windsor and his wife just named their baby Isabella, so perhaps that will rule it out.
I like it. Sounds very exotic to me. Didn't even think to consider it for British royalty.

Years ago when I was a teenager, one of my mother's friends spent a rainy Saturday afternoon with me. She arrived at the house with a special edition of the 1970's 'Flambards'. I was entranced! The heroine names her little girl Isabella (or Isabel). It's why I named one of my daughters Isabella. I have loved the name and all the many variants. It would be a wonderful name: Princess Isabella. Love it!
Old 10-18-2017, 12:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I like it. Sounds very exotic to me. Didn't even think to consider it for British royalty.

Years ago when I was a teenager, one of my mother's friends spent a rainy Saturday afternoon with me. She arrived at the house with a special edition of the 1970's 'Flambards'. I was entranced! The heroine names her little girl Isabella (or Isabel). It's why I named one of my daughters Isabella. I have loved the name and all the many variants. It would be a wonderful name: Princess Isabella. Love it!
Likely as it is, well not exotic as much as foreign, French

There were four queen consorts of England named Isabella. Three were French. Isabella of Angeloume (2nd wife of John) Isabella of France (wife of Edward II) and Isabella of Valois (wife of Richard II). The forth was Isabelle of Gloucester who was English born but her family was from Normandy (1st wife of John).

In the main family line (kids of a king), there were two born. One was the daughter of King John. The other was the daughter of Edward III. John named his daughter for his wife (the 2nd Isabella). Edward III named his daughter for his French born mother.

I wouldn't rule out a name used by the Kents or Gloucesters, already used ones by the Spencers. I'd only rule out their own cousins. If we rule out any children (so remotely same generation) we'd have to knock out a lot of top picks:

-Edward (eldest son of the earl of st Andrews)
-Amelia (youngest daughter of the earl)
* note the third child is Marina Charlotte, so already used a Kent baby name
-Albert- son of Lord Nicholas
-Louis-son of Lord Nicholas and used for George
-Alexander-form used for the son of the earl of ulster
-Isabella- daughter of Lord Freddie

But I don't see Isabella. Not because of Isabella Windsor, but because I don't think they will go so afar in the family tree. After George and Charlotte I am expecting something far closer and more predictable.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:04 AM
Courtier

I don't think using others' middle names as a first name or using others' first name as a middle name is any problem or consideration.
Not using Edward because it is Lord Downpatrick's first name is a little silly-he'll be 29 years old when C3 is born-quite an age gap.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I don't think using others' middle names as a first name or using others' first name as a middle name is any problem or consideration.
Not using Edward because it is Lord Downpatrick's first name is a little silly-he'll be 29 years old when C3 is born-quite an age gap.
I think not using any of the names I listed above because in use would make little sense. If they named their son Edward, no one would say 'oh isn't that lord Downpatrick's name' even if he was a toddler? Few people would know who he was. They would ask why William was naming his son for his Uncle. He didn't have an issue using names in use by the Spencers, so I don't see an issue with these names.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:33 AM
Nobility

Isabella is extremely fashionable just now. It was the sixth most popular name given to girls in England & Wales last year, with Isabelle in 21st place and other variants further down the list.

It is a variant of Elizabeth, which adds to its case as a contender.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:03 AM
Majesty

Names: Christian Arthur Francis
Old 10-19-2017, 10:09 AM
Serene Highness

I noticed that Philip's grandmother's name was Olga. Olga also was one of queen Mary's middle names. Thus I have one more option for a girl:

Olga Alexandra Mary
Old 10-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Gentry

I think Alice is a strong contender for a girl... didn’t William propose at Lake Alice in Kenya?

I’m reading that Arthur and Albert are currently popular UK baby names. Is this true?

They seem very safe and conservative in general. I don’t expect any unusual or unexpected name for Baby Cambridge 3!
Old 10-19-2017, 10:18 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post

Names: Christian Arthur Francis
I like this one! I think George, Charlotte and Christian go well together.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
but there is a Prince Edward. A minor royal who isn't know as "Edward" or whatever, in the Press doesn't matter, but they wont want to have people mixing up P Edward E of Wessex with cute little Baby P Eddie. As far as I can see, they DID say at the time of Will's birth that "there wasn't a William in the RF at the time" so that's why they used the name..and there had not been a Henry for a long time either.