The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #261  
Old 10-15-2017, 12:27 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Joanna could be seen in the family as honouring the Duke of Edinburgh's niece who lost her parents & siblings in an air crash in the 1930's but died only a few years later of, I think, Meningitis.
I shoudnt' think anyone knows of her except dedicated Royal watchers.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 10-15-2017, 01:41 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: bedford, United States
Posts: 1,386
I believe Johannas mother Cecilie was Phillips favorite sister. That's marginally more likely than Joanna. Princess Cecily is very pretty.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 10-15-2017, 02:01 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: St. Charles, United States
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
You meant grandchildren, didn't you? Her children are middle-aged already and done having babies; Lady Sarah Chatto is 53 years old, her sister-in-law, the Countess of Snowdon - 47 (both born on 1 May)
All princess Margaret's grandsons are of age already and it's they who already may enter "the matrimonial market" (Margarita will be of age in 2 years and 7 months).
Margarita has Rose as her third name.
Of course I meant grandchildren. Actually, I meant to say Margaret's decendants but misspoke since it was early on Sunday morning when I wrote that and I should not have even been online trying to reply to anything.
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 10-15-2017, 02:01 PM
Molly2101's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
You meant grandchildren, didn't you? Her children are middle-aged already and done having babies; Lady Sarah Chatto is 53 years old, her sister-in-law, the Countess of Snowdon - 47 (both born on 1 May)
All princess Margaret's grandsons are of age already and it's they who already may enter "the matrimonial market" (Margarita will be of age in 2 years and 7 months).
Margarita has Rose as her third name.
I also think they called her Margarita after her grandmother Princess Margaret who died not long before she was born.
__________________
"I am yours, you are mine, of that be sure. You are locked in my heart, the little key is lost and now you must stay there forever."
Written by Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in the diary of her fiance, Tsarevich Nicholas.
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 10-15-2017, 05:52 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Greater London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I also think they called her Margarita after her grandmother Princess Margaret who died not long before she was born.
Wikipedia states that this is indeed the case. Margarita's full name is Margarita Rose Elizabeth Alleyene, Elizabeth after the Queen Mother who passed away not long before her birth, and Alleyene is one of her mother's middle names.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 10-15-2017, 06:13 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,589
Margarita was the fourth generation to have Alleyne as a middle name. Serena, her mother and her maternal grandmother all had Alleyne. Though she has Elizabeth for the queen mum (queen mum died about a month and a half before she was born, her grandmother about 3 months), Marguerite is also one of the queen mum's middle names.

Oddly Margarita did not get Rose for her grandmother. It was a coincidence. Her big brother Charles who was 3 at the time, chose the name for her.

I think though they will play it safe royal name for first, they could be a bit more creative with the middle. Not saying they would, but one could hope. Charles Armstrong-Jones has Inigo for the architect, said to be an inspiration of his father.

Rose would be a lovely middle name if the new baby was a little girl.
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 10-15-2017, 09:03 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 635
A Princess named ....Princess Emma Rose Marie .........sounds good to me and Emma is so a British name coming from Germany which is derived from the word whole. I like to know about a person's name for it says something about who they are.
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 10-15-2017, 09:18 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
A Princess named ....Princess Emma Rose Marie .........sounds good to me and Emma is so a British name coming from Germany which is derived from the word whole. I like to know about a person's name for it says something about who they are.
While its interesting to know the meaning of a name, I fail to see how it tells you about who the person is. The name was chosen for them at birth, I don't see it reflecting your character. My names mean Honeybee Field of the Adriatic. Not sure what that would tell someone about my character.

Emma certainly has a nice royal history in the UK. Emma of Normany was consort of two kings (Ethelred and Cnute) mother to two (Edward the confessor and Harthnacut) and stepmother to two (Edmund Ironside and Harold Harefoot).
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 10-15-2017, 09:36 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 5,673
I like Emily, Emma, Sophie too.


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 10-15-2017, 09:56 PM
EllieCat's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
Posts: 397
I'm going for a Princess Alice, cause i like it!

Quote:
A Princess named ....Princess Emma Rose Marie .........sounds good to me and Emma is so a British name coming from Germany which is derived from the word whole. I like to know about a person's name for it says something about who they are.
I like Emma too; but my own name means light and bright, and though i may be bright, i am certainly not light!
Reply With Quote
  #271  
Old 10-15-2017, 09:59 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 3,031
Alleyene. Princess Alleyene. How unusual. I like it. Or maybe I am mispronouncing it. It just hit me that it may be a spelling variant of Eileen. Is it?

Did a google and it seems to be pronounced Uh-lane. Different from what I thought.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 10-15-2017, 10:16 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Alleyene. Princess Alleyene. How unusual. I like it. Or maybe I am mispronouncing it. It just hit me that it may be a spelling variant of Eileen. Is it?

Did a google and it seems to be pronounced Uh-lane. Different from what I thought.
Alleyne is traditionally a surname or a male name. Midevil form of Allan.

It was mentioned here as the name of Margarita Armstrong-Jones. It is a name from her mother's family. Not sure that is enough of a connection for Will and Kate to use it.
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 10-15-2017, 10:22 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 3,031
I see. Thank you. I was pronouncing it in a way that I think is very pretty. Totally off from the 'real' pronunciation, but I am very 'taken' with my way.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 10-15-2017, 10:31 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: St. Charles, United States
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
A Princess named ....Princess Emma Rose Marie .........sounds good to me and Emma is so a British name coming from Germany which is derived from the word whole. I like to know about a person's name for it says something about who they are.
A person's name says absolutely nothing about "who they are." The only way that could be the case is if you get to adulthood and change your name to suit who you believe you are and not many people do that. (My ex-brother in law did but that's a whole other story.)
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 10-15-2017, 10:33 PM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,024
exactly. Look it up people.

my current thinking: this is a 1st pass. So this is names under consideration

NOTE: they don't give 2 hoots about the names of o/seas royals, if they like the name they will use it. only royal fanatics get angst about this (IMO)

BOY:
Not Philip - I think that is for Zara - royal connection plus its the name of Mike Tindell's father, so I think that one as a 1st name is theirs.

Not Harry or Charles - Harry should have rights on his name for his own children and Charles is already covered by Charlotte

Possibles:
Michael
David
Thomas
Arthur
Francis
Alexander

GIRL:
Alice
Eleanor
Frances
Constance
Amelia
Elizabeth
Victoria
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 10-15-2017, 10:47 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
While its interesting to know the meaning of a name, I fail to see how it tells you about who the person is. The name was chosen for them at birth, I don't see it reflecting your character. My names mean Honeybee Field of the Adriatic. Not sure what that would tell someone about my character.

Emma certainly has a nice royal history in the UK. Emma of Normany was consort of two kings (Ethelred and Cnute) mother to two (Edward the confessor and Harthnacut) and stepmother to two (Edmund Ironside and Harold Harefoot).
Even though a person's name is given to them at birth, sometime a name can be something that has meaning and then something to live up to if the name is a family name.......that is what I was trying to say. Emma is a very sweet name for a girl and Rose of course is one of the most beautiful flowers on earth while Marie and of course this is my opinion, a religious overtone to it........to me, the name sounds perfect, Princess Emma Rose Marie..... but in the end it is Catherine and William's choice as we will see...then the baby will be a *boy*.....
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 10-15-2017, 10:51 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 5,673
Oh I really like Frances for a girl! Also Eleanor and Victoria.


I also like Michael, David and Alexander for a boy.



LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 10-15-2017, 10:53 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post
I'm going for a Princess Alice, cause i like it!



I like Emma too; but my own name means light and bright, and though i may be bright, i am certainly not light!
Now that is what I call perfect ....and the way you commented here shows how bright and sensible you are with an incredible sense of humor which at times is lacking here.......and as for light, that is in the eye of the beholder......so for me, you are most certainly bright and light in all ways..
Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 10-15-2017, 11:02 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Mae View Post
A person's name says absolutely nothing about "who they are." The only way that could be the case is if you get to adulthood and change your name to suit who you believe you are and not many people do that. (My ex-brother in law did but that's a whole other story.)
Really.....well if yr given a name that is a family name and it means something within that family and has deep meaning then as growing up you become aware of yr name and what it means then that can and does aspire a person to live up to that name........that builds character........ It might not be in yr family yet it can be in an other person's family as we are all different and we are all entitled to our own opinions here.
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 10-15-2017, 11:02 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Even though a person's name is given to them at birth, sometime a name can be something that has meaning and then something to live up to if the name is a family name.......that is what I was trying to say. Emma is a very sweet name for a girl and Rose of course is one of the most beautiful flowers on earth while Marie and of course this is my opinion, a religious overtone to it........to me, the name sounds perfect, Princess Emma Rose Marie..... but in the end it is Catherine and William's choice as we will see...then the baby will be a *boy*.....
Marie has very CATHOLIC religious connotations (using Marie/Mary for religious reasons and not family reasons, tends to be a Catholic honor to the virgin mary, very non protestant thing to do) and French. Mary would be the more likely form in the UK. As there have been numerous in the family.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Madeleine & Chris's 3rd Child: Guess the Sex, Name, Godparents and Duchy An Ard Ri Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill and Family 26 11-17-2017 10:52 PM
Joachim & Marie's 2nd Baby - Guess the Name & Gender JessRulz Prince Joachim, Princess Marie and Family 354 05-20-2012 12:34 PM
Names for Märtha's 3rd baby Her_Majesty Princess Märtha Louise, Ari Behn and Family 69 10-02-2008 01:07 AM
Names for Willem-Alexander and Maxima's 3rd child Marengo King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and family 301 04-13-2007 09:03 AM
Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's First Pregnancy Jasl Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family 443 01-21-2006 06:47 AM




Popular Tags
baptism best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events david armstrong-jones denmark duchess of cambridge gala dress earl of snowdon fascism general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy nazi news pablo urdangarín picture of the week portugal prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar princess alexandra of luxembourg princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia gowns queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queenmother queen rania queen silvia state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises