The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-14-2017, 09:32 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
We live in 21st century, time to put away these stupid superstitions.
Prince John was,in some ways, harmed by the fate (disablility) and now, after nearly 100 years after his death, it would be a high time to honor his memory.
It's also the name of William's grandfather, whom he surely loved and cherished.
Otherwise, John is a biblical name, it means: "Yahweh is Gracious".
On another note, we have the British royal family in the 21st century taking measures to actively get involved in bringing things that used to be swept under the table and not mentioned in "polite society" to the forefront and campaign to get awareness and support behind getting people to feel comfortable in seeking help with whatever problems they may have. I'd be hard pressed to think that they'd feel the name John would be "unlucky". They're too informed and educated for that.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:55 AM
Serene Highness

Maybe so but we have never seen W&K being pot stirs about such traditions... They named their other children from the usual royal panoply of names so I can't see them naming a baby anything even a bit out there, superstitious and old fashioned as the stigma of a Prince John is. And the Queen may not agree in any course so that is to be considered as well. That said a girl could be named Joan or Joanna if they want go that with Both being long unused but perfectly respectably royal names with a sturdy history.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:55 AM
Majesty

Alexander and Alexandra are my two bits!
Old 10-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Maybe so but we have never seen W&K being pot stirs about such traditions... They named their other children from the usual royal panoply of names so I can't see them naming a baby anything even a bit out there, superstitious and old fashioned as the stigma of a Prince John is. And the Queen may not agree in any course so that is to be considered as well. That said a girl could be named Joan or Joanna if they want go that with Both being long unused but perfectly respectably royal names with a sturdy history.
Of course they wont go for anything unusual and I'd say taht they would avoid John, because of the queen who would problaby dislike the idea. they are restricted in what they can call children, esp boys. Partly because they DONT want to use names that are in use already.. and there is a narrower "stock" of names for boys than girls.
but they could go for Alexander, I would think, as while there are a couple of cousins, there's no Prince Alex. and its a name that can have a lot of variants and diminutives ..
Still I never expect any "thinking even slightly outside the box" from Will and Kate.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Nobility

Alexander is George's second name, so I would hope they'd be slightly more creative than using one of the three boy names they've already used for their eldest son.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:27 AM
Serene Highness

Let's say they don't use any taken name even concerning the distant cousins such as Chattos that leaves precisely one feasible royal boy name: Alfred. Unless they use that or go wayy back on back to Edmund or Edwin or Stephen they are going to have to repeat someone's name.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:42 AM
Heir Apparent

John for a boy and Alice for a girl.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:46 AM
Majesty

Then again they may get through this pregnancy and name the kid Theodore Horatio Enrico and it would signify THE end. My mother-in-law at the time suggested that during my pregnancy with my youngest while I was suffering morning sickness. It made me laugh.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Let's say they don't use any taken name even concerning the distant cousins such as Chattos that leaves precisely one feasible royal boy name: Alfred. Unless they use that or go wayy back on back to Edmund or Edwin or Stephen they are going to have to repeat someone's name.
Wel they COULD go way bak to medieval times. names are often revivied. Harry was an "old and forgotten" variant of Henry, when P Harry was born. Or they could go for some upper class type of name, that is new in the RF. But I don't think they have much imagination. They could go for something like Antony, or Robert or Rupert.. or even Sebastian...
Old 10-14-2017, 12:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Amelia would be adorable!
Old 10-14-2017, 01:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Wel they COULD go way bak to medieval times. names are often revivied. Harry was an "old and forgotten" variant of Henry, when P Harry was born. Or they could go for some upper class type of name, that is new in the RF. But I don't think they have much imagination. They could go for something like Antony, or Robert or Rupert.. or even Sebastian...
That would be true if Harry was in fact simply Prince Harry, but he is Henry. Harry is simply a nickname. Using a nickname that goes way back is a bit different then a given name.

I would love to see them go way back, but based on George and Charlotte, I don't expect them to get too distant into the tree.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:06 PM
Serene Highness

Helena would be a pretty choice for a girl.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Given as both George and Charlotte are names of William's first cousins on the Spencer side, I don't think William and Kate too fussed by using names already in use.

I would be a little surprised if they used Philippa, James, or Henry/Harry just because they're names of siblings, but I wouldn't rule out names of cousins.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Then I'm hoping for James or Philip. I'd love to see a bit of boundary-stretching if it's a girl, something imaginative, though I do like Helen(a) and Alexandra.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If they don't mind repeating names, they should go with Prince Michael, after Kate's father.

They do have much more leeway with female names, since there are quite a few not used currently.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:53 PM
Majesty

I wouldn't rule out Michael at all.

The only names I'd rule out family wise, are the ones who are in the same generation per say as the new baby. And even then only in senior royals. We have seen names used by the Spencers, and by the more extended Windsors (George) are not eliminated. I'd rule out James as James Wessex is a child, and close family member. Naming a child after, or with the same name as William's grandfather, or his grandmother's cousin in case of Michael, is a different matter. No one is going to be confused which Philip or Michael you are speaking about.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Joanna could be seen in the family as honouring the Duke of Edinburgh's niece who lost her parents & siblings in an air crash in the 1930's but died only a few years later of, I think, Meningitis.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:37 AM
Majesty

Another name that may be a very traditional family name and tickle the Queen all shades of pink is to name a baby daughter Margaret Rose. It might be really sweet to have a little princess Maggie running around.

I am still leaning towards Philip as a first name if its a boy.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:51 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Another name that may be a very traditional family name and tickle the Queen all shades of pink is to name a baby daughter Margaret Rose. It might be really sweet to have a little princess Maggie running around.

I am still leaning towards Philip as a first name if its a boy.
I don't think Margaret Rose would be a very nice name for a new princess. Not after all the bad publicity lately about how awful she was in real life. Better to just leave that name for Margaret's children to use, if they want. They already have Margarita, which is a cute variant.

I also don't think there will be a Philip or Phillipa or Alice. This is the third child. Time to think a bit outside the box, in my opinion. Of course, I would probably think any name is adorable. I think we all get use to names. I remember hating Beatrice and Eugenie. Now I think they're lovely names and suit both girls.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Mae View Post
I don't think Margaret Rose would be a very nice name for a new princess. Not after all the bad publicity lately about how awful she was in real life. Better to just leave that name for Margaret's children to use, if they want. They already have Margarita, which is a cute variant.
You meant grandchildren, didn't you? Her children are middle-aged already and done having babies; Lady Sarah Chatto is 53 years old, her sister-in-law, the Countess of Snowdon - 47 (both born on 1 May)
All princess Margaret's grandsons are of age already and it's they who already may enter "the matrimonial market" (Margarita will be of age in 2 years and 7 months).
Margarita has Rose as her third name.