Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would they have to pick a name from royalty? Kate has a family and she might have a name she wants her third child to have. She might want to honor her mother or grandmother or her father or someone from his side of the family. We'll see. I would think a third child could have any sort of name without people going nuts over it.

And, Olga is a hideous name for any child, IMO.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall during their name brainstorming, not only to know which names they're considering but to see what degree of freedom Will and Kate have to choose for themselves. Do the Queen and Prince Charles offer suggestions? Do they come up with a collection of names and run them by Her Majesty for feedback? Or are they given completely free reign?

I'm sure that as in most families, they will listen to suggestions and any advice given. I feel that they will choose a name that's not necessarily royal, but very much in fashion with the middle and upper classes. For instance, they might consider Grace for a girl - but it might be suggested that the association of "Princess Grace" with Grace of Monaco is too strong.

Why would they have to pick a name from royalty? Kate has a family and she might have a name she wants her third child to have. She might want to honor her mother or grandmother or her father or someone from his side of the family. We'll see. I would think a third child could have any sort of name without people going nuts over it.

And, Olga is a hideous name for any child, IMO.

Because it is a royal child. They're not likely to call the baby Sunshine or Brick. It will be a conventional Royal/upper class name. And if she DOES want to honour her onwn family I haven't seen any real sign of it. She could have given George or Charlotte a second or third name from her own side of the family and doesn't seem to have.. unless yu count charlotte Being Philippa's second name.

Because it is a royal child. They're not likely to call the baby Sunshine or Brick. It will be a conventional Royal/upper class name. And if she DOES want to honour her onwn family I haven't seen any real sign of it. She could have given George or Charlotte a second or third name from her own side of the family and doesn't seem to have.. unless yu count charlotte Being Philippa's second name.

Elizabeth is a Middleton family name. It's Catherine's and Carole's middle name and they used it for Charlotte.

The Middleton name are common British names, Catherine Elizabeth, Philippa Charlotte, James William, Michael Francis, Carole Elizabeth. William, James, Michael, Elizabeth, Charlotte, Catherine all names used by royals.

I made no suggestion that the baby would be given a silly name.:bang: I am merely suggesting that the name might be something unexpected from Kate's side of the family. After all, Charlotte's name has the first initial of her grandmother and mother (C) and the middle name of her grandmother and mother (Elizabeth), which evidently is some sort of tradition among Carole's family members. (In addition to Charlotte being Pippa's middle name.) So it seems that Kate has a lot of say when it comes to naming her children.

A third child need not have an old-fashioned "royal" name. The again, who knows. Speculation is fine but none of us have any idea so there is no need to argue about what we don't know.:lol: That's all I have to say about the matter. I'll post again about names when Baby Three is born and the announcement of a name is posted on the gates.;) Until then, I'm bored with this conversation.

Yes, both on a slow but steady rise.

Placings from 2012 to 2016:

Arthur 52, 43, 41, 37, 30
Albert 109, 99, 84, 72, 64

If we're going along the lines of male "A" names, something different yet pertinent to the monarchy would be to use the name Alfred. A little kid running around being called Prince Alfie might actually be cute.

Of course the name Alfred could be shortened to Alf which makes me giggle as I remember a very lovable, furry alien that won our hearts decades ago. :D

:previous: I love Alfred. But yes, I have the same image when I hear Alf.

Its always hard to find a balance. Choosing a name that is royal enough, but still personal. Kate is lucky, in that her family has many royal names in the family tree to choose from. So like using Elizabeth and Charlotte, choosing names that are both royal names but ones from her tree, kills two birds. Fortunately the Middletons have a lot of classic English and royal names in their tree. Or ones connected to the Spencers.

-Francis
-Michael
-Richard
-James
-John
-Frederick
-William
-Peter
-Jane
-Mary
-Amelia
-Philippa

Looking back into the extended family, not direct ancestors:
-Elinor
-Arthur
-Charles
-Isabella

Its easy to be able to choose a name to honor both families. Not all royal brides could say that.

I also love the idea of a Prince Alfred. He could go by the nickname of Alfie in the same way his uncle goes by Harry instead of Henry.

An Alfie would be a tear-up, wouldn't he? ? Would have to be with that name. ;)

I'm sure that as in most families, they will listen to suggestions and any advice given. I feel that they will choose a name that's not necessarily royal, but very much in fashion with the middle and upper classes. For instance, they might consider Grace for a girl - but it might be suggested that the association of "Princess Grace" with Grace of Monaco is too strong.

Is it truly common for family members to give input for baby names? I will admit that I made a suggestion (direction in which to think beforehand - no advice after they picked them) for middle names for my second nephew that my brother and sister-in-law took up but we had surely no say in (or were asked for advice for) the names of all other nieces and nephews. I know only one person who ran the names of her unborn child by almost anyone - not just her family but also us as colleagues (they ended up changing the name a few weeks before he was born!) - which I considered very unusual but maybe less so in the States (where this happened)?

So, it might be my cultural bias that I would not expect William and Catherine to discuss the names of their unborn child with family members - and certainly not after they made a (temporary) decision.

Is it truly common for family members to give input for baby names? I will admit that I made a suggestion (direction in which to think beforehand - no advice after they picked them) for middle names for my second nephew that my brother and sister-in-law took up but we had surely no say in (or were asked for advice for) the names of all other nieces and nephews. I know only one person who ran the names of her unborn child by almost anyone - not just her family but also us as colleagues (they ended up changing the name a few weeks before he was born!) - which I considered very unusual but maybe less so in the States (where this happened)?

So, it might be my cultural bias that I would not expect William and Catherine to discuss the names of their unborn child with family members - and certainly not after they made a (temporary) decision.

I wouldn't think so, unless as a courtesy they run a name by the Queen.

This was just us but my husband and I didn't even share our chosen names with anyone until our children were born. People were less likely to express their like or dislike of a name once the child had it.

Well it is said the queen has the right to nix any names, so I'd say her opinion at least would be consulted.

I don't see her having an issue though unless they really decide to follow the trend of some of the upper crust friends of late. The trend for boring 'classic names' is not as common among the aristocracy as some people think. The late Duke of Westminster has a grandchildren such as Wolf and Zia. You'd be surprised at some of the names you'd find among the off spring of the aristocracy if you look.

But as long as they don't propose Prince Oak of Cambridge, the queen will be pretty open.

Well it is said the queen has the right to nix any names, so I'd say her opinion at least would be consulted.

I don't see her having an issue though unless they really decide to follow the trend of some of the upper crust friends of late. The trend for boring 'classic names' is not as common among the aristocracy as some people think. The late Duke of Westminster has a grandchildren such as Wolf and Zia. You'd be surprised at some of the names you'd find among the off spring of the aristocracy if you look.

But as long as they don't propose Prince Oak of Cambridge, the queen will be pretty open.

The queen has a granddaughter named Zara. And a great granddaughter name Mia.

The queen has a granddaughter named Zara. And a great granddaughter name Mia.

Female line granddaughter quite far from the throne, and a private citizen. The third child of the future king is not comparable. Do I think they have relatively more freedom in this choice then in George and Charlotte? Most certainly. Do I think a name like Zara would be considered? No.

Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

Zara was 6th in line to throne when she was named. Baby C will be 5th. I don't think the Queen would over rule the name picked by the parents.

Zara was 6th in line to throne when she was named. Baby C will be 5th. I don't think the Queen would over rule the name picked by the parents.

Unless it was Moonbeam or Chartreuse- but I think W&K are pretty traditional so I don't think they'd choose something that unusual.

Yeah W&K have a theme with names going....you can bet this baby will have a similarly Traditional name.

LaRae

We don't know Wolf and Zia's full names. Perhaps, Zia is Anastasia after her great-great-grandmother who was known as Zia (Countess Anastasia de Torby).

She was sixth in line with three uncles who had no children yet and were expected to have children ahead of her. Not to mention her older brother. Baby Cambridge will one day be 3rd in line. Zara went down a place when she was 13 months and kept going.

So yes, baby Cambridge is a very different situation then plain Miss Zara Philipps. But as I said, as long as they don't go crazy like Prince Oak, I highly doubt the queen would get too bothered.

Last edited:
Indeed, big difference. A non-titled family member vs a HRH prince(ss) of Cambridge (future HRH prince(ss) of Cornwall & Cambridge; future HRH prince(ss) of Wales; future HRH The prince(ss) X) as child of the future king... But I am sure the queen is not worried at all based on the names of the current Cambridge prince and princess.

Last edited:
It seems unlikely to me that names would not be run by the Queen and Charles, et al. :flowers: How peculiar it would be for HM to discover the name of her great-grandchild at the christening! :cool:

It seems unlikely to me that names would not be run by the Queen and Charles, et al. :flowers: How peculiar it would be for HM to discover the name of her great-grandchild at the christening! :cool:

Well since the BRF doesn't wait until the christening like the Danes to announce, I don't think that would be a concern ?

But yes, I don't expect to see the queen waiting for the news of the name over her corn flakes like the rest of us.:lol:

Of course they will run the name by her. And She would certainly nix any unusual name.. but I don't think that Will and Kate have enough imagination anyway to think of something unusual. The aristociracy do often choose unusual names but the RF doesn't....

I certainly don't think it's uncommon to check a name out with certain close friends or relatives, who may pick up on something that the parents may have missed. A name can have unfortunate connotations or associations, or (for another example) result in embarrassing initials.

For some reason i don't think the queen or P.Charles would even want to veto a name; but if they decide to name the child something from the " Jamie Oliver list of baby names" i do think her majesty would raise her eyebrows and say "Really?" with one of her famous facial expressions :lol:

Of course they will run the name by her. And She would certainly nix any unusual name.. but I don't think that Will and Kate have enough imagination anyway to think of something unusual. The aristociracy do often choose unusual names but the RF doesn't....

I feel sure that the Queen wouldn't disapprove of a name merely because it was unusual. She might advise against a name that might have an undesirable association, as she did when the Yorks were considering Annabel, but I don't think she would impose her own personal preferences.

I do agree that William and Kate seem to have very conventional taste in names.

I don't know what the evidence is that the Yorks were considering Annabel. I think that given Sara's "puppy like" attempts to show how much she was au fait with the RF and queen Victoraia, she was always considering one of Victoria's names.. like Beatrice..
But I think the queen would veto names if they were too unusual...
Not for children far away from the Throne like Zara Phillips or other ones like the Gloucesters children..but for Will and kate's children yes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom