The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-22-2017, 12:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Seems like she was good to go by 4 months range?

LaRae

Old 09-24-2017, 02:24 PM
Serene Highness

What do you think about name Ralph for a prince or Ralphia for a princess?

Old 09-24-2017, 02:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
Sorry but the only thing I can think of when you suggest that

Prince Ralph future Duke of Warren in the making

Ralphia

Considering George and Charlotte, expecting something boring and predictable.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Wouldn't the name proper then be Raphael? Or Raphaela? A bit unusual to take an archangel's name in the BRF.
I think you jest. But anything's possible. Betting odds high against, though.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Considering George and Charlotte, expecting something boring and predictable.

I hope so!
I always feel sorry for these kids with unique names.
They usually become dated fast (remember those children from the sixties who had names like Sunshine and Moonbeam?) Also, sometimes the children get laughed at when they start school.

I think conventional, classic names are better in the long term.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Wouldn't the name proper then be Raphael? Or Raphaela? A bit unusual to take an archangel's name in the BRF.
Raphael is a name of Hebrew origin, Ralph is a name, derived from the Old Norse.

Countessmeout, I absolutely forgot about this king
Old 09-24-2017, 02:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
No, Ralph and Raphael are different names (not variation/different spelling). Ralph is an English/Gaelic/German/norse name meaning wolf counsellor. Raphael is a Hebrew name meaning god's healer.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Raphael is a name of Hebrew origin, Ralph is a name derived from the Old Norse.

Countessmeout, I absolutely forgot about this king
I just learned something! I always thought Ralph was derivative from Raphael. Hmmm....which Norse god?
Old 09-24-2017, 02:51 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I just learned something! I always thought Ralph was derivative from Raphael. Hmmm....which Norse god?
Maybe not from a Norse god but the old name Rolf comes to mind. The Old Norse cognate is Hrólfr. It originates in the Germanic name Hrolf, itself a contraction of Hrodwulf (Rudolf).

When I think of the name Rudolf though, a famous reindeer comes to mind.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
No, Ralph and Raphael are different names (not variation/different spelling). Ralph is an English/Gaelic/German/norse name meaning wolf counsellor. Raphael is a Hebrew name meaning god's healer.
Thank you, Countessmeout. Learning a lot today. So maybe Prince Rolf?
Old 09-24-2017, 03:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Not from a God.

The name simply is formed from two old norse words. The original name would be Raðulfr. Rao is the norse word for counsel, dulfr for wolf. In old English it became Raedwulf, and eventually Ralph.

Its not considered a variation, but it is similar to Rudolph. Both Rudolph and Ralph mean wolf, one in norse and one in German. Olf meaning wolf in Germanic tongue. Rudolph though means famous wolf, not counsel wolf.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Rolf reminds me of the character from the Sound of Music, so perhaps not a good association considering who he turns out to be at the end of the film/musical!

I can't picture Ralph or any other similar names being used. Whilst I would like to see baby no. three have a 'different' name, I think Ralph is a bit too adventurous for the Cambridges. And then there's King Ralph too

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 09-24-2017, 03:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Not from a God.

The name simply is formed from two old norse words. The original name would be Raðulfr. Rao is the norse word for counsel, dulfr for wolf. In old English it became Raedwulf, and eventually Ralph.

Its not considered a variation, but it is similar to Rudolph. Both Rudolph and Ralph mean wolf, one in norse and one in German. Olf meaning wolf in Germanic tongue. Rudolph though means famous wolf, not counsel wolf.
Thank you again, Countessmeout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Rolf reminds me of the character from the Sound of Music, so perhaps not a good association considering who he turns out to be at the end of the film/musical!
Good point! Also why it sounds familiar with that pronunciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I can't picture Ralph or any other similar names being used. Whilst I would like to see baby no. three have a 'different' name, I think Ralph is a bit too adventurous for the Cambridges. And then there's King Ralph too
Nor can I.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent

The current issue of OK! magazine has a cover story that Kate is having a girl, that she will be named Alice, and that Harry and Meghan will be godparents.

(Wonder how accurate they'll be?)
Old 10-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Gentry

Trying to think of something appropriate, a bit royal...
Old 10-02-2017, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
The current issue of OK! magazine has a cover story that Kate is having a girl, that she will be named Alice, and that Harry and Meghan will be godparents.

Not very. They stated that they didn't know the gender with the previous babies why would they know on the third and then spill the beans about it. If Harry was going to be a godparent would have been one already. Not using siblings as godparents.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

50/50 on the gender
Alice is at least a name with royal connection
Harry isn't godfather of George or Charlotte so why would he be godfather of this kid.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:41 PM

For a Boy: Phillip Michael David or Phillip Michael Charles

For a Girl: Caroline Victoria Alice
Old 10-05-2017, 01:00 PM
Nobility

I'd love to see a little prince Philip and both his uncles' names: Philip Henry James

Girl's names are much harde imo. If Victoria would be used I don't think it will be used as a first name. Mary could be used in case of another May birth (as she probably would be called princess May of Cambridge in that case). I like the name Jane and it can be found many times both in William's and Catherine's families (princess Jane would be fine to me, not sure whether people would be worried about the connection to the 9-day queen; although this child has a very small chance of becoming queen one day). Another name that would honour both families would be Frances. Alice of course has been mentioned as the most likely option if they would pick a royal family name as a first name - which they seem to prefer. So, I land on: Alice Victoria/Mary Jane/Frances.

I'd rather not see Victoria or Mary as first name as we already have two crown princesses with those names. Eleanor has also been suggested but we've had quite a few variants of those in royal families (countess Leonore (The Netherlands), infanta Leonor (now princess of Asturias; Spain), princess Eleonore (Belgium), princess Leonore (Sweden) over the last 12 years as well, so rather not. I do see the inconsistency with my male suggestion as there are quite a few Philip's around as well but because the prince would be named after his great-grandfather I'm happy to make an exception.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Been thinking that Alice would actually be very sweet for a youngest born girl (we assume this will be the last). Princess Alice. Very sweet. though I continue to like the 'thunder' of a Princess Alexandra.