Engagement Photos of Prince William and Catherine Middleton: December 11, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The article she refers to says:
Why didn't William commission a young, talented photographer, possibly one who has been supported by the Prince's Trust, for example? That way a real connection might have been made to their contemporaries.

As far as I know, William hasn't got anything to do with The Prince's Trust so it's a bit odd for the article to suggest what it did.
Why should he have chosen a photographer who has been supported by The Prince's Trust when he doesn't have anything to do with it? I fail to see the link.

The way I interpreted the comment when I read it was that he could have gone for an up and coming photographer rather than one who has been around for decades and thus help someone else on the way to being as well known and that one could have been one helped by The Princes Trust as that is what that does. A younger photographer would link him to his contemporaries rather than one who is linked to his parents' generation.

Let's all remember who's really running this show, and that would be the royal, yes PW! Everything in this relationship speaks of him being in the driving seat, the breakups, makeups, length of waiting for proposal, the engagement ring, the photographer, everything--Waitey Katey doesn't know Tesco as the royals do nor do she has any idea of what's expected of her--neither does PW for that matter for they have spent the better part of their relationship hidding from the public, PW w/his schooling and military career and WK being scared to death of being photograph anywhere; why you think it was at 3 mos. before they're were seen in public! None of this has gone the way of tradition and I guess that would be the point!

Sorry but what's the point of your post?
Waitey Katey, is not her name. It's Catherine or Kate, please have the decency to call her her actual name?

What's a retail shop got to do with what is expected of her?

I think you mean Testino and not Tesco?

In your defense I got the point you were trying to make. I think that what she is trying to say is that the photographs are just another example of Prince William controlling the show. Which I do think that is true. That could either be a good thing or a bad thing. He does have the experience with the family and the media on the other hand if Kate is being slighted then its a bad thing.

I also think that their relationship has been private and that too is a double-edged sword. Good..they get to know each other. Bad...the public remains suspicious about who they are and their motivations for being in the relationship.

As for the whole Waity Katey thing, lets face it whether you like her or not she is never going to live it down. In the interview she herself said she didn't care what people thought of her because she knew the work she was doing. The public didn't and still doesn't know about her work ethic and until they do she can't really change their opinion. With time she might be able to.

Well I've only read from post #201 until now. I get what both you Lilpeach are saying. I guess the "waity Katey" thing set everyone off because technically she's no longer waiting. She'll be stuck with it...whenever a biography or documentary is made it'll still be referenced.

Last edited:
Well I've only read from post #201 until now. I get what both you Lilpeach are saying. I guess the "waity Katey" thing set everyone off because technically she's no longer waiting. She'll be stuck with it...whenever a biography or documentary is made it'll still be referenced.

I'd hope that it would be long forgotten into the realms of ancient bad journalism but I can see it being dragged up again when the time becomes imminent for her to have her first child. I would expect that most people would have enough respect for her to call her Catherine or Kate.

:previous: Not if you are to listen to some of the Grinches who arrived somewhat early for Christmas! "Love" is irrelevant, it's the photo's that count.

So far the only thing I see that is "not traditional" is the fact that they have been more or less living together during their um, let's call it "Courtship". In this they are hardly alone in that the average age for men to marry is now 28 and for women, 26. However. anyone who doesn't believe the whole Palace Family Firm isn't playing the major part in organising the wedding have windmills in their heads! William is a full time member of the SAR Squadron and Kate is getting a crash course in "Royalty - Welcome to the Goldfish Bowl: A crash course in survival techniques ", and "The Wedding Dress and the Wedding Party".

Obviously they will both be consulted on the important things but the nuts and bolts are totally beyond their capabilities. Already we have seen endless nitpicking about the first 2 engagement photographs. Yes, that's right, all this angst and sniping over two photographs. Testino is a well liked and much used photographer within royal circles and William and Kate obviously went with the "known" quantity rather than take an unwise punt at this early stage. They should have gone to one of those fun parlours and squeezed in the booth, fed the money in the machine, and Bob's your Auntie's live in lover . . . . 2 photos's! They could hardly have garnered more sniping and bile than they already have.

Last edited:
my point in this whole thing is that PW is the royal and running the show and yes, Waitey Katey (she will always be waiting) is going along w/everything she is being told to do--that's the name given to her for by the press in this relationship and it will stick to her like glue, she has other names but this will do just fine. I hope WK realizes that if she doesn't care what people think of her then it goes both ways, the public will not care about her no matter what she does! Look @ the engagement interview, the way PW avoided the question of the "breakup"--he answered they're too young, in uni, and was discovering themselves as young people--wrong answer, they were out of uni and the interviewer was talking about '07 (one of many breakups for this couple) and the look on WK's face was priceless--she had to recalibate her answer to match William's even though she knew of the mistake--she'll always be waiting to clean up after him for the rest of her life!

watch the interview and see how things were said to make the public believe that this relationship is now on solid ground--for instance, when the couple was asked when did WK meet HM--@ P&A's wedding and "we got on great...really, the way PW answered, you think he attended w/her and he didn't! I guess its just one of those occasions that the lies are obvious. :whistling:

my point in this whole thing is that PW is the royal and running the show and yes, Waitey Katey (she will always be waiting) is going along w/everything she is being told to do--that's the name given to her for by the press in this relationship and it will stick to her like glue, she has other names but this will do just fine.

1; Noticing that William is the royal is quite obvious.
2; Her name isn't Waitey Katey, what is she waiting for now? Might be the name given to her by the press, but it isn't her ACTUAL name. Don't you like calling people by their actual names?

I hope WK realizes that if she doesn't care what people think of her then it goes both ways, the public will not care about her no matter what she does!

Who says Catherine doesn't care about the public?

she'll always be waiting to clean up after him for the rest of her life!

Don't state things as fact when it's your opinion.

my point in this whole thing is that PW is the royal and running the show and yes, Waitey Katey (she will always be waiting) is going along w/everything she is being told to do--that's the name given to her for by the press in this relationship and it will stick to her like glue, she has other names but this will do just fine. I hope WK realizes that if she doesn't care what people think of her then it goes both ways, the public will not care about her no matter what she does! Look @ the engagement interview, the way PW avoided the question of the "breakup"--he answered they're too young, in uni, and was discovering themselves as young people--wrong answer, they were out of uni and the interviewer was talking about '07 (one of many breakups for this couple) and the look on WK's face was priceless--she had to recalibate her answer to match William's even though she knew of the mistake--she'll always be waiting to clean up after him for the rest of her life!

One thing wonderful about this forum is that varying opinions and insights are very much welcomed and spur some very intelligent debates, the main thing is to keep things on a civil basis and when making a statement of fact, provide a source of reliable information to back it up with. Denigration of an individual and negative remarks will not get us anywhere. I realize that you are new to TRF and I hope you have a wonderful experience here as I have over the past years.

Now... getting back on topic about the engagement portraits. I really don't care if they were airbrushed, photo shopped or shot with a cell phone.. that second one was perfect in that it showed William and Kate in a soft, cozy world of their own. It was a picture that I would imagine most couples would favor for their own personal remembrance where as the more formal one would be fitting for a more "official" occasion.

Can we stop calling her Waity Kate/Katie? It was demeaning then, and it's demeaning now.
Especially as we now seem to know that she never was waiting. She became William's girlfriend, she was William's girlfriend till she became his bride. As he obviously loves her and she him, what was there to wait for? She had him and he had her and that's wonderful. Now's the time for them to take the next step and one day they hopefully will start their own family. But what has "waiting" to do with this very normal evolution of a relationship?

Seeing her as "Waity Katie" means that he does not love her and she is only after grabbing the big prize of getting in the direct line of becoming queen consort. I actually don't see this from what we know today of their relationship. So this ugly nick is a thing of the past when the public didn't know how much this couple is in love.

As someone who is currently genuinely interested in William and Kate, I would like to say that the only reason why Kate would continue to be known as "Waity Katey" is the continual reference of this phrase by people who clearly do not like her for reasons they will continue to avoid explaining. Personally there are a number of royals both here in Britain and abroad that I am not keen on or who have done things I would rather they hadn't or I am simply not interested in and so I try to avoid reading threads about them as I'd rather concentrate on reading and commenting about those royals that I do like and do have an interest in.

After many years of ups and downs for my royal family (and I agree that most of the downs have been caused from within the family), I am delighted that something new and positive is happening. Accordingly, I would like to give William some credit and respect for the fact that he has had a steady girlfriend over the last decade or so (minus a brief split a couple of years ago) and that at last he is going to marry her. I also give William some credit for the assumption that as a royal with parents who had a difficult marriage, he will have grown up knowing the importance of "choosing the right one". Now, if Kate is good enough for William to the extent that he wishes to marry her, then she is good enough for me and the rest of the country.

I would love it if people would just come out and say what they really mean rather than making me try and read between the lines. If you don't like Kate or feel there was some grand conspiracy to cover up in the engagement interview, then say so and expand on why you think it happened.

Please note that posts that refer to Catherine (Kate) Middleton as Waity Kaitey will be deleted without notice.

If you have any additional questions, please contact the British moderators via Private Message.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

I'm not new to this forum--been a member for yrs., just haven't post as much as I would like and judging from the reactions of others, its a good thing. As far as PW's future bride is concern, she said in the interview she didn't care what people thought of her, she was true to herself, as well as other things that didn't add up. If this relationship was followed as like other forums then members should be aware for every yr. this couple was together there was a split! In '04, '05, '06, the public one in '07 and wobbles in '08 and '09 (reported by Tina Brown) re: pics taken of her on PC's estate during Xmas of '09. PW choose the photographer to take their engagement pics, not Kate. Everything is according to PW's schedule--maybe due to his military career and royal duties or not but she doesn't have that much to do w/decisions re: this engagement! Pics were retouched, its been reported by the palace so some may feel if PW went w/a more exp. photographer it wouldn't have been necessary. Whatever! My point during their engagement interview was that PW threw Kate off by his answer to the breakup question--maybe PW should've have asked which yr. are you referring to because they broke up so many times and that is a fact, not an opinion!

I'm not new to this forum--been a member for yrs., just haven't post as much as I would like and judging from the reactions of others, its a good thing. As far as PW's future bride is concern, she said in the interview she didn't care what people thought of her, she was true to herself, as well as other things that didn't add up. If this relationship was followed as like other forums then members should be aware for every yr. this couple was together there was a split! In '04, '05, '06, the public one in '07 and wobbles in '08 and '09 (reported by Tina Brown) re: pics taken of her on PC's estate during Xmas of '09. PW choose the photographer to take their engagement pics, not Kate. Everything is according to PW's schedule--maybe due to his military career and royal duties or not but she doesn't have that much to do w/decisions re: this engagement! Pics were retouched, its been reported by the palace so some may feel if PW went w/a more exp. photographer it wouldn't have been necessary. Whatever! My point during their engagement interview was that PW threw Kate off by his answer to the breakup question--maybe PW should've have asked which yr. are you referring to because they broke up so many times and that is a fact, not an opinion!

Sorry about that lilpeaches. Like you, I also lurked for a while before getting my fingers wet so to speak but once I started.. that was it.. I'm hooked :) Its really nice for me to know that should I make a mistake in my statements, there are many around here more knowledgeable than I to say "hey... lookit... this is how it works." And trust me, I mess up quite a bit and hopefully get it straight in my head. (It IS "Defender of Faith" right Bertie?) I'm glad you're here!

On the subject of William and Kate, I imagine that after 8 years of being together, first as friends, then as a couple, everything didn't go smoothly 100% of time. Someone that said that any couple together for years that got along 100% of the time, didn't really have much communication in the relationship and I have to agree with that. Put my husband and I in the same spot in the interview and we'd probably have the same thing. I don't remember all the "I don't like you" times nor do I wish to. The important fact is that through the good times and the bad times, they've decided that they have a strong enough relationship to make a go out of it in marriage and if when the bad times do come, they will be hopefully be able to work them out together. No marriage is forever wine and roses and goo goo eyes at each other and I think William and Kate are far past that stage.

With a wedding being planned of this size and only 4 months away, I think its a huge burden for William and Kate to do it all themselves let alone William being in "charge". I'm sure over the years that Kate has seen some of the photographs that Testino had done with William's family and they probably decided together to use him. That one holiday photo of Charles and the boys with the 2 boys in the urns would have showed me the creativity this man puts into his portraits and something like that would have appealed to Wills and Kate I think. We ended up with a fantastic cozy, intimate portrait of these two that for the first time ever, allowed the public a glimpse into their intimate world. I am willing to bet also that between now and April 29th, Kate is going to have a bazillion things to do and decisions to make and has Wills to go over these decisions with even if its only by telephone at the end of the night. This is going to be very much their wedding.

well i suppose when you marry a prince, your bound to make more sacrifices for them than they do for you?
I mean, they are born to a position, and you are expected to adjust to their position and ways more than they adjust to you, isn't that somewhat to be expected?
same goes when Victoria married Daniel, I should think.
Like when you marry in the army, you are expected to adjust to your spouse's career, moving around from base to base etc.
So maybe William bends a little, and kate bends more than him, and thats how it works? I dont know, like everyone else here, I'm speculating. We will never know, at least maybe not until a few good years pass as to who wears the pants in this relationship, or whether it is an equal relationship.

Last edited:

What is your evidence for 'they broke up so many times'? Plus I think saying that for every year they have been together there was a split is grossly exaggerating.

All in all: are you saying that he appears to be too dominant for your liking?

Last edited:
Did they break up more than once? Only in rumours.

Does Kate have plenty of input into their decisions? Yes, I believe she does.

As for Mario Testino not being an experienced professional photographer, where in the world did that come from? All photographs are retouched to some degree and I believe Kate wanted him as their photographer as well, given his fabulous reputation for photographing Royals worldwide.

Mario Testino biography (Vogue.com UK)

Career
Testino has shot fashion stories for Vogue,[2] V, Gucci, and Vanity Fair. Celebrity subjects have most famously included Diana, Princess of Wales and her sons. Other subjects have included many actresses such as Kim Basinger, Emma Watson, Cameron Diaz, Gwyneth Paltrow, Julia Roberts, Meg Ryan, and Catherine Zeta-Jones, models such as Tyra Banks,Claudia Schiffer, Gisele Bündchen, Elizabeth Hurley, and Kate Moss, performers such as Britney Spears, Janet Jackson, Madonna, Kylie Minogue and Lady Gaga, and public figures like Baroness Thatcher. Living in London, he continues to photograph the British Royal Family as well as contributing to the image development of Burberry, Gucci, Zara, Michael Kors, Dolce & Gabbana, Estée Lauder, Valentino and Versace.[3]

Wikipedia

Testino's famed pictures of Diana, Princess of Wales

Diana's Last Photos Pictures - CBS News

No one know what the future hold for them. All we do is whishes them the best.

If this relationship was followed as like other forums then members should be aware for every yr. this couple was together there was a split! In '04, '05, '06, the public one in '07 and wobbles in '08 and '09 (reported by Tina Brown) re: pics taken of her on PC's estate during Xmas of '09.
I've followed William and Kate for a while, and I've never seen any evidence that they have broken up every year.

PW choose the photographer to take their engagement pics, not Kate.

Or maybe they decided on the photographer together.

my point in this whole thing is that PW is the royal and running the show and yes, Katey (she will always be waiting) is going along w/everything she is being told to do--that's the name given to her for by the press in this relationship and it will stick to her like glue, she has other names but this will do just fine. I hope WK realizes that if she doesn't care what people think of her then it goes both ways, the public will not care about her no matter what she does! Look @ the engagement interview, the way PW avoided the question of the "breakup"--he answered they're too young, in uni, and was discovering themselves as young people--wrong answer, they were out of uni and the interviewer was talking about '07 (one of many breakups for this couple) and the look on WK's face was priceless--she had to recalibate her answer to match William's even though she knew of the mistake--she'll always be waiting to clean up after him for the rest of her life!

It is nice to get another opinion about Kate out there in the sense that it creates a more interesting discussion. If everyone loved her that would be very boring. I will say that their does appear to be two opinions about her. The ones before the engagement and the ones after. It seems like whenever someone famous gets married they start saying only the nice things that happened. It is really unfortunate as it paints a very one-dimensional image of a human being.

As their relationship had been going on for 8 years I expect a few bumps in the road. Although I will agree that when she said I didn't want to break-up ( or something to that effect) there seemed to be some tension there.

P.S. slightly edited your quote as we are not allowed to use that nickname anymore.

If one is of the view the William is 'in charge' of their relationship and she has to 'wait' on him, maybe that's not felt as bad by her. Maybe she is ok with it bring William center stage so to speak.... Maybe that works for them. I am not of the opinion that 1 partner sacrificing more for the other is necessarily bad if they both like it that way. My husband had a complex job (not being a royal but still...) and we move for his job alot, and schedules get changed because of this or that and I don't mind because it really just doesn't bother me. I guess my point is if Kate is lettin William lead maybe it's because she is happy with that

If one is of the view the William is 'in charge' of their relationship and she has to 'wait' on him, maybe that's not felt as bad by her. Maybe she is ok with it bring William center stage so to speak.... Maybe that works for them. I am not of the opinion that 1 partner sacrificing more for the other is necessarily bad if they both like it that way. My husband had a complex job (not being a royal but still...) and we move for his job alot, and schedules get changed because of this or that and I don't mind because it really just doesn't bother me. I guess my point is if Kate is lettin William lead maybe it's because she is happy with that

agree. She did after all say yes to the ring.

After 8 years what else was she going to say? NO??? :ROFLMAO:

Well she could have said "give me a few years to think about it?" :whistling:

well i suppose when you marry a prince, your bound to make more sacrifices for them than they do for you?
I mean, they are born to a position, and you are expected to adjust to their position and ways more than they adjust to you, isn't that somewhat to be expected?
same goes when Victoria married Daniel, I should think.
Like when you marry in the army, you are expected to adjust to your spouse's career, moving around from base to base etc.
So maybe William bends a little, and kate bends more than him, and thats how it works? I dont know, like everyone else here, I'm speculating. We will never know, at least maybe not until a few good years pass as to who wears the pants in this relationship, or whether it is an equal relationship.

We don't know what their relationship is like. This is all nothing but guessing. He has lived as a royal in the spotlight from birth -- perhaps he is taking the lead in public to spare her a bit. The point is, we DON'T KNOW what they are actually like when they are alone, and it's none of our business, so I find it odd that people seem to be getting so shrill over their perception that Prince William is somehow running the show. And as anyone who has been married knows, no relationship is perfectly equal at all times.

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Just wanted to chime in a little. I sort of feel the need to say something in defense of all us women including Kate who have been in a long-term relationship before marriage. I met my husband in college at 18 and we married April of this year at 27. 9 years (break-up's, make-up's, tears and all).....longer than Kate and William, lol.

I really can't grasp the fact that it's "frowned" on upon by some to date long term. Marriage is NOT something to take lightly and it's very easy to date 2 years, marry, figure out you can't work through the differences, and divorce like much of Hollywood is doing these days. I really commend them for waiting, growing up together, making mistakes, breaking-up, learning to love each other in spite of the differences, and being able to maturely commit to something that should still be considered sacred IMO. That's a true companion one would think. End rant. lol

And to get back on track a little, the 2 engagement pictures are really excellent. The second relaxed one looks like every young couple's engagement picture which I find refreshing. I have a similar one of my husband and I hanging on our living room wall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom