Engagement Photos of Prince William and Catherine Middleton: December 11, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Charlotte1 said:
Retouching photos is much older than the computer/photoshop age! This is why we still have the term 'airbrushing'. In the early days of photography this was how unflattering photos were altered. They were airbrushed. Famously Cecil Beaton's photos from the 1930s of Queen Elizabeth (QM) were airbrushed to make her appear thinner.

They are lovely photos, whether or not they were altered from the original I don't know. But it's naive to assume that photos from the past were not changed to make the sitters look better. They were!

No Buckingham Palace doesn't have an official photographer, each royal couple from the past have chosen their own photographer. It's unlikely that Mario Testino will do the wedding photos, he works in portraits not weddings. Also going by past cases, the photographer who took the official engagement photos didn't do the wedding photos. Eg Charles and Diana, Lord Snowdon did the engagement photos, Earl Litchfield did the wedding.

Oh I didn't know that thank you, I wasn't trying to be naive. You learn new stuff every day- thanks! :)

Wait so you mean that the poses are staged? I really don't think the one of them hugging is staged the look in their eyes tell me they are truly happy and aren't faking it. As for the whole Testino thing again this is not because he's "Diana's" photographer as the media like to refer to he's photographed the royals a number of times, particularly William, Harry and Charles.

Interesting and true - so much in that that I agree - false and staged and the celebrity thing to boot.

Wow Liz Jones took the words right out of my mouth. Oh and thanks for article.

I think the photos look lovely. Every photo, unless the subject is unaware, is staged. And both of these were staged nicely to show their affection, and show off her beautiful engagement ring.

Ah I took it differently when you guys said staged maybe it's cause I'm from Canada idk While obviously they were aware of the photos being taken they are still IMO natural well maybe the first one isn't as natural but the second one sure is.

That portrait is incredibly beautiful!

I really love both pics, too. It is normal, that they are photoshopped or airbrushed afterwards (at least a bit).... I was surprised about the Testino choice, but the result is remarkable.
BYe Bine

IMO, Liz Jones is overreacting. Yes, Testino is a fashion photographer, but first of all he is a photographer and a very good one. When you take a look at his homepage, you'll see that he has photographed many royals, even the British minors, and not only Diana. Furthermore - Cecil Beaton was a fashion photographer, too. He worked for Vogue, Vanity Fair and Harper's Bazaar just before he started to work for the BRF - portraying the Queen Mother, the Queen, Princess Marina, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and so one. To make a mountain out of a molehill...

HELLO! - The place for daily celebrity news - hellomagazine.com

How on earth did HELLO Magazine manage to get the engagement pictures this quick, they only came out on Sunday 12 Dec early hours?

They would have had them before (as did other media) but they were embargoed meaning they couldn't use them until a certain date. That's how they could set up their pages ready to print and release.

On some of the photo agencies you can see written 'embargoed until ....'

I find the parallels between Prince William and Kate and Princess Victoria and Daniel's situation both sad and funny. For 8 or more years both young royals had a relatively stable romantic relationship that for different reasons meant that in public there were few intimate glances, hand holding or overt romance.

Ah, but after the engagement and so very many years of being discreet they behave like new lovers experiencing the wonder of a loving look, a warm touch, a kiss, even holding hands, all seem new because they can do it spontaneously. These first photos show them getting used to being "public", at first a little tentative and then not so much.

Now they show that which was hidden, their world, their love and their joy. Suddenly William and Kate aren 't boring anymore as they share and invite us to share with them their joy.

I love these pictures!! They probably have been retouched, but it's very rare now that pictures aren't. I think we can see from the countless pictures of Kate that have been taken over the years that she is naturally beautiful anyway, so hopefully the Kate-bashers won't dent her confidence too much.

Last edited:
Is there any info on Kate's dress?

It looks lovely in the photos but I would like to see what the front looks like.

If the dress has already been discussed, you point me to the thread. I haven't had a chance to read all the threads.

Thanks, Mez.

I have always found Liz Jones to be a bit ridiculous and this article adds additional fuel to that fire.

I get that she wants Kate to remain true to herself but IMO she is making a mountain out of a molehill. So they use the same photographer...big deal. Maybe William is comfortable with Mario. And I noticed that she didn't mention that Mario has also photographed Camilla. Was Camilla trying to be like Diana. Of course not! I am not trying to bring up the dreaded triangle but I find it highly suspect that she neglected to mention that he has also photographed the Duchess of Cornwall.

In regards to the dress, I think it looks lovely. And yet Liz thinks she should have something a little bit more special. I fail to see how spending more money on a dress would make it special. How ironic...Liz putting her ideas on what she thinks Kate should do....isn't that what she is claiming William is doing?

As for the staged comments...aren't most pictures staged. Don't we all stop to pose and smile? If that isn't staged, I don't know what it is.

:previous: Well said, Zonk! I can only agree with everything you've said here.

The pose may perhaps not be novel, but the expression is novel to me - Charles poses demure with his hand carefully on Diana's shoulders;
William is all out in the open and hugs Catherine with intensity.

Agreed! They do seem much more affectionate!!!

IMO, Liz Jones is overreacting. Yes, Testino is a fashion photographer, but first of all he is a photographer and a very good one. When you take a look at his homepage, you'll see that he has photographed many royals, even the British minors, and not only Diana. Furthermore - Cecil Beaton was a fashion photographer, too. He worked for Vogue, Vanity Fair and Harper's Bazaar just before he started to work for the BRF - portraying the Queen Mother, the Queen, Princess Marina, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and so one. To make a mountain out of a molehill...

I thought the same thing when I read the article. Too add to that list, Testino has also photographed Prince Charles' with the boys for family portraits, as well as Prince William by himself. I can certainly see why William and Kate would choose him since William was probably very comfortable with him and they wanted an alternative to formal stuffy official photographs. The result speaks for itself in the second photograph. Testino's favored use of natural lighting with neutral colors produces wonderful airy photographs. He has used this style repeatedly in his work and it's quite affective. All photographs are touched up, so again I don't understand the point of her article.

Those that want to look for the negative and the ridiculous "William is trying to re-create Diana with Kate" will always find it something to blow out of proportion with these two. It would be nice if Ms. Jones had done her homework on who has been photographed by Mario Testino prior to writing this article, and to note that all professional photographers touch up photos...but then that would have meant posting facts instead of opinion.

Looking at Mario's site...he does tend to favor neutrals. He has also photographed Queen Rania of Jordan, the Duke of Kent, Princess Rosario (and her husband, sorry the name escapes me, I think Kyril) of Bulgaria, Charles and Camilla, Haakon and Mette Marit of Norway, Maxima and WA of the Netherlands and Princess Stephanie of Monaco.

He seems to go for extremes....most of his female subjects are in white, beige or black. Very nice pictures IMO.

In regards to the detractors who will always find something negative or always comparing Kate to Diana agree. Thanks goodness Kate isn't a blonde...we will would never hear the end of it. I guess we should get ready for Harry....he seems to like blondes. I can see the headlines now...Harry to Marry Di Lookalike!

Looking at Mario's site...he does tend to favor neutrals. He has also photographed Queen Rania of Jordan, the Duke of Kent, Princess Rosario (and her husband, sorry the name escapes me, I think Kyril) of Bulgaria, Charles and Camilla, Haakon and Mette Marit of Norway, Maxima and WA of the Netherlands and Princess Stephanie of Monaco.

He seems to go for extremes....most of his female subjects are in white, beige or black. Very nice pictures IMO.

In regards to the detractors who will always find something negative or always comparing Kate to Diana agree. Thanks goodness Kate isn't a blonde...we will would never hear the end of it. I guess we should get ready for Harry....he seems to like blondes. I can see the headlines now...Harry to Marry Di Lookalike!

Ah yes....Harry will be next. His preference for blondes will of course mean he has a "mummy" fixation if he marries one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom