The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1

Retouching photos is much older than the computer/photoshop age! This is why we still have the term 'airbrushing'. In the early days of photography this was how unflattering photos were altered. They were airbrushed. Famously Cecil Beaton's photos from the 1930s of Queen Elizabeth (QM) were airbrushed to make her appear thinner.

They are lovely photos, whether or not they were altered from the original I don't know. But it's naive to assume that photos from the past were not changed to make the sitters look better. They were!

No Buckingham Palace doesn't have an official photographer, each royal couple from the past have chosen their own photographer. It's unlikely that Mario Testino will do the wedding photos, he works in portraits not weddings. Also going by past cases, the photographer who took the official engagement photos didn't do the wedding photos. Eg Charles and Diana, Lord Snowdon did the engagement photos, Earl Litchfield did the wedding.
Oh I didn't know that thank you, I wasn't trying to be naive. You learn new stuff every day- thanks! :)

Old 12-12-2010, 09:02 PM

Interesting article.

LIZ JONES: Why the Testino treatment makes me fear for Kate | Mail Online

Old 12-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Serene Highness

i just love their pics, they look good together
Old 12-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockynight View Post

Interesting and true - so much in that that I agree - false and staged and the celebrity thing to boot.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Wait so you mean that the poses are staged? I really don't think the one of them hugging is staged the look in their eyes tell me they are truly happy and aren't faking it. As for the whole Testino thing again this is not because he's "Diana's" photographer as the media like to refer to he's photographed the royals a number of times, particularly William, Harry and Charles.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Interesting and true - so much in that that I agree - false and staged and the celebrity thing to boot.
Wow Liz Jones took the words right out of my mouth. Oh and thanks for article.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:23 AM
Nobility

I think the photos look lovely. Every photo, unless the subject is unaware, is staged. And both of these were staged nicely to show their affection, and show off her beautiful engagement ring.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Ah I took it differently when you guys said staged maybe it's cause I'm from Canada idk While obviously they were aware of the photos being taken they are still IMO natural well maybe the first one isn't as natural but the second one sure is.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

Royal Wedding: Prince William and Kate Middleton 'airbrushed in official engagement photos' - Telegraph

They are the perfect portraits of a couple in love, but even Prince William and his bride-to-be Kate Middleton can't get by without a little help from a photographer's airbrush, it seems.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It is an interesting article. I hope Kate's personality is strong enough to cope and to enable her to assert her individuality.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:41 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

I love both pictures.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:20 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

"Hello" article:

Royal wedding: Prince William and Kate Middleton pose for official Mario Testino engagement photos - hellomagazine.com
Old 12-13-2010, 04:22 AM
Serene Highness

That portrait is incredibly beautiful!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:56 AM
Courtier

I really love both pics, too. It is normal, that they are photoshopped or airbrushed afterwards (at least a bit).... I was surprised about the Testino choice, but the result is remarkable.
BYe Bine
Old 12-13-2010, 05:12 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
IMO, Liz Jones is overreacting. Yes, Testino is a fashion photographer, but first of all he is a photographer and a very good one. When you take a look at his homepage, you'll see that he has photographed many royals, even the British minors, and not only Diana. Furthermore - Cecil Beaton was a fashion photographer, too. He worked for Vogue, Vanity Fair and Harper's Bazaar just before he started to work for the BRF - portraying the Queen Mother, the Queen, Princess Marina, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and so one. To make a mountain out of a molehill...
Old 12-13-2010, 05:33 AM
Courtier

HELLO! - The place for daily celebrity news - hellomagazine.com

How on earth did HELLO Magazine manage to get the engagement pictures this quick, they only came out on Sunday 12 Dec early hours?
Old 12-13-2010, 05:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
HELLO! - The place for daily celebrity news - hellomagazine.com

How on earth did HELLO Magazine manage to get the engagement pictures this quick, they only came out on Sunday 12 Dec early hours?
They would have had them before (as did other media) but they were embargoed meaning they couldn't use them until a certain date. That's how they could set up their pages ready to print and release.

On some of the photo agencies you can see written 'embargoed until ....'
Old 12-13-2010, 05:51 AM
Heir Apparent

I find the parallels between Prince William and Kate and Princess Victoria and Daniel's situation both sad and funny. For 8 or more years both young royals had a relatively stable romantic relationship that for different reasons meant that in public there were few intimate glances, hand holding or overt romance.

Ah, but after the engagement and so very many years of being discreet they behave like new lovers experiencing the wonder of a loving look, a warm touch, a kiss, even holding hands, all seem new because they can do it spontaneously. These first photos show them getting used to being "public", at first a little tentative and then not so much.

Now they show that which was hidden, their world, their love and their joy. Suddenly William and Kate aren 't boring anymore as they share and invite us to share with them their joy.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Ms. Jones objects to Testino being a fashion photographer and making Kate look too perfect, and then turns around and objects to Kate's choice of dress as being not special enough.

We can't have it both ways, really.

Personally, I'm hoping the "off the rack" choice of outfits is, perhaps, a sign of a more relaxed young, monarchy.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:41 AM
Gentry

I love these pictures!! They probably have been retouched, but it's very rare now that pictures aren't. I think we can see from the countless pictures of Kate that have been taken over the years that she is naturally beautiful anyway, so hopefully the Kate-bashers won't dent her confidence too much.