The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Courtier

It also says that many/most people did not know what GK was really like. I always adored her but after reading about her after her marriage, not so much.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Actually I feel it shows that more people want to give Kate a chance to be her own woman and not have to live in the shadow of Diana because we know and see how it can cause comparisons. I actually still to this day don't think Diana did as much damage to the monarchy as people may like to portray. But then again this isn't the Diana forum so I won't go into it.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Courtier

aha hahaha LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
You have a fundemental objection to french music? Perhaps Mr Testino finds this music to relax people? Let me guess, your objection is that he used the same music for Diana? Quelle surprise.
Dalida?? Dalida!?!?! That couple is rock-solid if they survived a photo session with that music in the backgroud. Dalida is no longer French music. Was she ever? nah! She committed suicide in the early 80s (could be wrong about the date but it's a long long time ago). That proves to me (I might be the only one and that's fine) that William does NOT speak or understand French because there is absolutely no way her music would relax him...
Old 01-24-2011, 05:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
You have a fundemental objection to french music? Perhaps Mr Testino finds this music to relax people? Let me guess, your objection is that he used the same music for Diana? Quelle surprise.

Oh no, not THAT ring, Oh no, not THAT tiara, Oh no not THAT designer, Oh no, It would be a tragedy if a daughter were named after her grandmother, etc etc etc.

Yes I have an objection to Testino adding to the insulting fact that Catherine is going to be continually compared to Diana. The way she acts, how she looks, how she talks, what she's like to the public etc.
I wonder if he uses this "french music" on every couple he photgraphs, or was it just reserved for Kate and William.
I find it horrible that she was given a recycled ring, I felt the same when Camilla recieved QMs ring.
Catherine, IMO, wouldn't suit the tiara Diana wore and people are hardly going to forget who wore the tiara first are they. This should be Catherine and Williams marriage, not Catherine, Diana and William.
If Catherine used Emanuel to design her dress, that's fine, just hope they haven't created a monstrosity like they did for Diana.
I think the name Diana, should be reserved for Williams grandchildren, the names in the BRF are boring.

However; this thread is about the engagement photos. Not our differences.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't know if you're married, but if your fiance gave you a family ring that had been worn by someone else before, would you have thrown the ring back in his face and told him to buy you something new?

Probably not. You'd take that ring, say "thank you, I love you", say you'd marry him, and live happily ever after.

Saying anything different amounts to materialistic ego. A woman doesn't need a new ring. She doesn't need an expensive ring. She doesn't even need a ring. What she needs is a promise of love and fidelity. As long as you have that, who gives a damn if the ring belonged to someone else in his family years earlier or not? Is that really what is important?

Sakes alive.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Aristocracy

William surely chose Testino as he chose to give Kate his mother's ring like he said himself to make sure that his mother would be part of his wedding. I don't have a problem with that, I rather find it quite a nice gesture, if not touching. I don't think that Kate felt offended by that.
I like the photoshoots, loved everything about them. But God why Dalida?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Administrator

As previouly discussioned, Testino has also photographed the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall as well as William and Harry.

So I think it was a comfort zone.

Frankly, I am a little distressed (if that is the right word for it) that Testino felt the need to share that he used the same music for this sitting as he did Diana. He could have contributed to a nice article about the sitting without mentioning that. Its like he was seeking a little extra publicity IMO.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
As previouly discussioned, Testino has also photographed the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall as well as William and Harry.

So I think it was a comfort zone.

Frankly, I am a little distressed (if that is the right word for it) that Testino felt the need to share that he used the same music for this sitting as he did Diana. He could have contributed to a nice article about the sitting without mentioning that. Its like he was seeking a little extra publicity IMO.
Actually I took it as he has found out over the years that using this type of music seemed to relax and put his subjects at ease. The mention of Diana perhaps was to show how long he'd been doing it. Perhaps also during the shoot William did talk about his mum a lot and both Testino and Wills regaled Kate with stories and felt Diana was there with them in spirit. They were all together for quite a while it seems for this photo shoot. We do have to remember how close William was to his mother and how very much he loved her and he *does* want her very much remembered in anything to do with his and Kate's special day. Personally, I am growing sick of the pros and cons of mentioning Diana. The only person(s) that should worry about this are the ones affected namely William and Kate.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Administrator

I totally agree.

My point regarding Testino was that mentioning the music was played with Diana wasn't something he had to mention. Or say this is music that most of my clients including Diana have enjoyed in the past.

People are going to keep mentioning Diana because stories like this come out. And as result they then try to make the day about Diana when its about William and Kate. And stories like this feed into Diana machine unnecessarily.

I am sure they aren't that concerned.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

I personally didn't have a problem with Testino mentioning Diana, but I also know that the media is going to use these type of stories to make it all about her. So I'm a little conflicted. There's a part of me that wishes these type of stories would stop (so the focus can be on William and Kate), but I also realize it's a little unfair and unrealistic to expect people not to talk about Diana during this time.

I think Testino meant well. The bulk of the article was about William and Kate, but unfortunately Diana was the only thing the media focused on. I thought his actual quote was nice.

Quote:
When I had photographed Prince William’s mother, I brought along a CD of Dalida, a French singer, that we played on set all day to relax everyone. I decided to do the same thing for Catherine and William. The contrast of the contemporary informal music playing in the beautiful rooms with so much history caused a lot of laughter.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
PDA??? I don't understand this.

Why do people have a fascination with seeing people kiss? I find that strange - personally I would prefer that they didn't make a 'public' show of kissing as it seems so staged and false - for show rather than for emotional and personal reasons.
I'm with you on this one, Bertie.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I agree - a very good post. In the olden days people got married and had to stay married and put up with all the difficulties and hardships if their spouse treated them badly etc. Nowadays, some people get married to the wrong person and divorce ready to do it all over again and make the same mistakes. In these modern times where attitudes and society has changed so much, the best recipe for a long and happy marriage is to get to know your partner over a long period of time and go through all the ups and downs to see whether you can get through them and at some point you come to realise that in spite of all the ups and downs you still loves someone so seal the deal and get married. Short courtships don;t seem to work as well these days as they might have done before!
I think the engagement photos are very nice, retouched or not. As for long relationships, I would have to dump anyone who dated me for 2 years without a proposal. I did that twice, met and knew someone for a mere 3 weeks, married him 30 years ago. It may or may not last - You can never tell!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It shows that one was universally respected while the other was divisive and damaging to the family into which she married.
Universally repected? Are you referring to Princess Grace? She was quite DISrespected by other royal/princely houses because of being a movie actress. She was unhappy and unfaithful in her marriage as well. Hence my drawing the comparison.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Aristocracy

Both photos are so cute ! I wish them happiness !
The important thing is not to be bitter over life's dissapointments.Learn to let go of the past and recognise that every day won't be sunny.But when you find yourself in the darkness of despare,rememmber that it is only in the black of night you can see stars,and those stars will lead you home!So don't be afraid to make mistakes,to stumble and fall,cause most of the time the greatest rewards come from doing the things that scare you the most!!! :)
Old 07-16-2011, 05:50 AM
Commoner

Photos from Enagagement are gorgeous.They are so natural and professional.Mario did a good job!
Old 08-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Gentry

They're very airbrushed and 'perfect couple'... Give me Zara's photos any day!
Old 08-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal View Post
They're very airbrushed and 'perfect couple'... Give me Zara's photos any day!
They are not very airbrushed and yes, they are 'perfect couple'. To many of us and others, that is. Just like Zara and Mike are to many of us and others.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy

They are not very airbrushed and yes, they are 'perfect couple'. To many of us and others, that is. Just like Zara and Mike are to many of us and others.
You can't deny that they're very airbrushed. It's a well-known fact that Mario Testino loves to airbrush (as he did with Kate Moss's recent wedding shots). I don't know, I just like people with a bit of character and modernity in them and those photos screamed traditional, glossy royal couple where William protects Catherine and Catherine just stands there looking pretty. I thought Zara and Mike's pictures showed much more of their personalities. Although I guess they don't have to worry about becoming King and Queen...
Old 08-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Commoner

Quote:
You can't deny that they're very airbrushed. It's a well-known fact that Mario Testino loves to airbrush (as he did with Kate Moss's recent wedding shots). I don't know, I just like people with a bit of character and modernity in them and those photos screamed traditional, glossy royal couple where William protects Catherine and Catherine just stands there looking pretty. I thought Zara and Mike's pictures showed much more of their personalities. Although I guess they don't have to worry about becoming King and Queen...
I agree, I like engagement (or any other) photos to show something about the couple's personality. However, if the photos were of them sitting on their couch in Wales or walking in the garden most people would have torn them to shreds. I guess it's better to be safe and a bit boring
Old 08-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
What's great about this forum (to me anyway), is the fact that one can be exposed to a great amount of different interpretations of the same picture/article/event/etc. When I look at those pictures (specifically the one where they're more casually dressed), I see a couple who's deeply in love with each other. I don't see protectiveness as much as cherishing perhaps. William looks at Catherine like she's the most important person in the world. That is how it should be, and I'm glad that that picture reflects that.

Call me romantic, or naive (and I'll agree, because it won't be the first or last time), but that's how I'm seeing this particular photograph. If it's air brushed and a little formal-looking, so be it.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.