The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Can we stop calling her Waity Kate/Katie? It was demeaning then, and it's demeaning now.
Thank you! Just what I wanted to say, only you beat me to it!

Old 12-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebound View Post
I don't photograph well--I hate my candid pictures. Please, anybody, retouch me!!!

I think any portrait artist will try to flatter their subject, while being true to their real looks. I imagine the artists who painted William's ancestors did a bit of flattery, as well. The retouching doesn't bother me at all.

I love the pictures--so nice to see them look so happy!
I think right here is where we hit the nail right on the head when it comes to the touch ups of the engagement photos. The difference is between a portrait and a photograph. Artistic license is well used in doing all kinds of portraits.. a photograph tells it like it is.. bumps and all.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie of The Sea View Post
That is odd, isn't it? Given that Charles who is The Prince in the The Prince's Trust uses Testino.
Sorry but what does this have to do with Charles or The Princes Trust?
Old 12-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Royal Highness

Whether or not the photos were retouched is not an issue - we will never know to what extent any retouching was made and what the original photos looked like and the images should be seen for what they are now not what they should, could or would have been. Exactly the same press cirticism word for word would have been made whoever the photographer had been. At the end of the day, the photos were for William and Kate and it so happens that they allowed them to be issued publicly for all to see - if I were them I wouldn't have bothered! If the media and public were in a moral position to comment on retouching photographs, then the media and public will have been given the opportunity to choose a photographer, clothes, pose and lighting.....and probably made an even worse job of it!
Old 12-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpeaches View Post
Let's all remember who's really running this show, and that would be the royal, yes PW! Everything in this relationship speaks of him being in the driving seat, the breakups, makeups, length of waiting for proposal, the engagement ring, the photographer, everything--Waitey Katey doesn't know Tesco as the royals do nor do she has any idea of what's expected of her--neither does PW for that matter for they have spent the better part of their relationship hidding from the public, PW w/his schooling and military career and WK being scared to death of being photograph anywhere; why you think it was at 3 mos. before they're were seen in public! None of this has gone the way of tradition and I guess that would be the point!

In your defense I got the point you were trying to make. I think that what she is trying to say is that the photographs are just another example of Prince William controlling the show. Which I do think that is true. That could either be a good thing or a bad thing. He does have the experience with the family and the media on the other hand if Kate is being slighted then its a bad thing.

I also think that their relationship has been private and that too is a double-edged sword. Good..they get to know each other. Bad...the public remains suspicious about who they are and their motivations for being in the relationship.

As for the whole Waity Katey thing, lets face it whether you like her or not she is never going to live it down. In the interview she herself said she didn't care what people thought of her because she knew the work she was doing. The public didn't and still doesn't know about her work ethic and until they do she can't really change their opinion. With time she might be able to.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Sorry but what does this have to do with Charles or The Princes Trust?
The article she refers to says:
Why didn't William commission a young, talented photographer, possibly one who has been supported by the Prince's Trust, for example? That way a real connection might have been made to their contemporaries.

As far as I know, William hasn't got anything to do with The Prince's Trust so it's a bit odd for the article to suggest what it did.
Why should he have chosen a photographer who has been supported by The Prince's Trust when he doesn't have anything to do with it? I fail to see the link.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Let's all remember who's really running this show, and that would be the royal, yes PW! Everything in this relationship speaks of him being in the driving seat, the breakups, makeups, length of waiting for proposal, the engagement ring, the photographer, everything--Waitey Katey doesn't know Tesco as the royals do nor do she has any idea of what's expected of her--neither does PW for that matter for they have spent the better part of their relationship hidding from the public, PW w/his schooling and military career and WK being scared to death of being photograph anywhere; why you think it was at 3 mos. before they're were seen in public! None of this has gone the way of tradition and I guess that would be the point!
So just because they didn't go the traditional way you don't believe any of this?
Old 12-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
In your defense I got the point you were trying to make. I think that what she is trying to say is that the photographs are just another example of Prince William controlling the show. Which I do think that is true. That could either be a good thing or a bad thing. He does have the experience with the family and the media on the other hand if Kate is being slighted then its a bad thing.

I also think that their relationship has been private and that too is a double-edged sword. Good..they get to know each other. Bad...the public remains suspicious about who they are and their motivations for being in the relationship.

As for the whole Waity Katey thing, lets face it whether you like her or not she is never going to live it down. In the interview she herself said she didn't care what people thought of her because she knew the work she was doing. The public didn't and still doesn't know about her work ethic and until they do she can't really change their opinion. With time she might be able to.
I suppose Sister Morphine's question also goes for you: it's demeaning to call her Waity Katie and it would be nice if you don't state your opinion(s) as fact(s).

Plus, the public will have plenty of time to get to know her - some people really don't seem to have patience.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Why didn't William commission a young, talented photographer, possibly one who has been supported by the Prince's Trust, for example? That way a real connection might have been made to their contemporaries.

As far as I know, William hasn't got anything to do with The Prince's Trust so it's a bit odd for the article to suggest what it did.
Why should he have chosen a photographer who has been supported by The Prince's Trust when he doesn't have anything to do with it? I fail to see the link.

Thank you Skippy, simply a reply to Zonk's post.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie of The Sea View Post
Thank you Skippy, simply a reply to Zonk's post.
I lost that part, thanks for the clarification
Old 12-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post

The way I interpreted the comment when I read it was that he could have gone for an up and coming photographer rather than one who has been around for decades and thus help someone else on the way to being as well known and that one could have been one helped by The Princes Trust as that is what that does. A younger photographer would link him to his contemporaries rather than one who is linked to his parents' generation.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Sorry but what's the point of your post?
Waitey Katey, is not her name. It's Catherine or Kate, please have the decency to call her her actual name?

What's a retail shop got to do with what is expected of her?
Old 12-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Courtier

I think you mean Testino and not Tesco?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post

Well I've only read from post #201 until now. I get what both you Lilpeach are saying. I guess the "waity Katey" thing set everyone off because technically she's no longer waiting. She'll be stuck with it...whenever a biography or documentary is made it'll still be referenced.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSY View Post
Well I've only read from post #201 until now. I get what both you Lilpeach are saying. I guess the "waity Katey" thing set everyone off because technically she's no longer waiting. She'll be stuck with it...whenever a biography or documentary is made it'll still be referenced.
I'd hope that it would be long forgotten into the realms of ancient bad journalism but I can see it being dragged up again when the time becomes imminent for her to have her first child. I would expect that most people would have enough respect for her to call her Catherine or Kate.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Serene Highness

wow they look like a true love match
Old 12-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Not if you are to listen to some of the Grinches who arrived somewhat early for Christmas! "Love" is irrelevant, it's the photo's that count.

So far the only thing I see that is "not traditional" is the fact that they have been more or less living together during their um, let's call it "Courtship". In this they are hardly alone in that the average age for men to marry is now 28 and for women, 26. However. anyone who doesn't believe the whole Palace Family Firm isn't playing the major part in organising the wedding have windmills in their heads! William is a full time member of the SAR Squadron and Kate is getting a crash course in "Royalty - Welcome to the Goldfish Bowl: A crash course in survival techniques ", and "The Wedding Dress and the Wedding Party".

Obviously they will both be consulted on the important things but the nuts and bolts are totally beyond their capabilities. Already we have seen endless nitpicking about the first 2 engagement photographs. Yes, that's right, all this angst and sniping over two photographs. Testino is a well liked and much used photographer within royal circles and William and Kate obviously went with the "known" quantity rather than take an unwise punt at this early stage. They should have gone to one of those fun parlours and squeezed in the booth, fed the money in the machine, and Bob's your Auntie's live in lover . . . . 2 photos's! They could hardly have garnered more sniping and bile than they already have.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:18 AM

my point in this whole thing is that PW is the royal and running the show and yes, Waitey Katey (she will always be waiting) is going along w/everything she is being told to do--that's the name given to her for by the press in this relationship and it will stick to her like glue, she has other names but this will do just fine. I hope WK realizes that if she doesn't care what people think of her then it goes both ways, the public will not care about her no matter what she does! Look @ the engagement interview, the way PW avoided the question of the "breakup"--he answered they're too young, in uni, and was discovering themselves as young people--wrong answer, they were out of uni and the interviewer was talking about '07 (one of many breakups for this couple) and the look on WK's face was priceless--she had to recalibate her answer to match William's even though she knew of the mistake--she'll always be waiting to clean up after him for the rest of her life!
Old 12-17-2010, 02:11 AM
Courtier

This seems to be one of those occasions where one sees what one wants to see.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:26 AM

Cool

watch the interview and see how things were said to make the public believe that this relationship is now on solid ground--for instance, when the couple was asked when did WK meet HM--@ P&A's wedding and "we got on great...really, the way PW answered, you think he attended w/her and he didn't! I guess its just one of those occasions that the lies are obvious.