Engagement of Prince William to Catherine Middleton: November 16, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given Sarah's track record of never saying anything inappropriate about the BRF, I don't think they'd really mind if she did the commentary. She'd be getting back on her feet again and reporting things correctly rather than saying that the Queen is Victoria's grand daughter kind of thing.

I see the problem with her attending the wedding as a problem as to how do we seat her? Do we put her with Andrew and her daughters? Do we put her furthur back? Do we seat her as family or a guest? I think the tabloids would have a field day with this one too.

Yes, but there are many people that are well qualified to be Royal commentators that are not connected so intimately as an ex-wife and mother to members of the Royal family. Not that anyone is offering her that opportunity, but if they did I would cringe in fear of her accepting.

I don't know...She attended the Queen Mum's Funeral and they were able to figure it out. I think the same thing will be followed if Sarah's invited to the Wedding.

I'm very happy for both Prince William and Kate and I wish them all the best luck .

Welcome to TRF! I absolutely love your avatar with Harry and the puppy! They're both gingers. :D

I was watching ET Canada and they interview a friend of Kate's and she said Kate and William want a summer wedding so idk..maybe all the reports of an April wedding are false? Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Did I miss this interview...I don't exactly watch Extra but apparently William and Kate told no one they were engaged until the day of the announcement:

"Kate's brother and sister were told that she got engaged just three hours before it was announced publicly," Bashir said, despite the fact the pair has reportedly been engaged since October. "They told virtually nobody."

Read more: Kate Middleton's Siblings Didn't Know She Was Engaged | Extra
Kate Middleton's Siblings Didn't Know She Was Engaged | Extra

I liked to read the part on how many people were consulted...!

I liked to read the part on how many people were consulted...!

To be honest, I really don't think either William or Kate would really feel slighted in the least if some of the bigwigs such as the Obamas couldn't make it for that day. :lol:

April 29th is the name day for Saint Catherine of Siena.

A fair few bank holidays in April and May next year: 2 for Easter, 1 for the wedding, 2 of the usual May bank holidays.

Weeeeee, I have told my teamleader that I have to have free on the 29th April 2011 and she said: "Yes, of course, otherwise you´ll be a pain in the b***" :D

Weeeeee, I have told my teamleader that I have to have free on the 29th April 2011 and she said: "Yes, of course, otherwise you´ll be a pain in the b***" :D

You're lucky Benedikte, I'm free from April 30 till May 9.. :bang: But maybe I'll find a way. ;)

Last edited:
Was just about to turn off my computer but checking links to find details of N. and S. Korea firing at each other, the news scrolled that the date is set for April 29th. Its a Friday and with a bank holiday, that makes for a long weekend!

Anyone out there want a free husband that does dishes and laundry for a few days? Must warn you though he's addicted to a remote.

I thought right from the beginning that a spring wedding would be great :flowers: And we don`t have to wait so long. I`m glad that the royal family and the Middletons will pay for the wedding. It might prevent at least a bit malicious comments about wasting taxpayers money.

I thought right from the beginning that a spring wedding would be great :flowers: And we don`t have to wait so long. I`m glad that the royal family and the Middletons will pay for the wedding. It might prevent at least a bit malicious comments about wasting taxpayers money.

The royal family were always going to pay for the wedding, so I think this was a moot point.

The royal family were always going to pay for the wedding, so I think this was a moot point.

They aren't paying for the security though and that will run into £millions and the long suffering taxpayer will pick up the bill for that.

They aren't paying for the security though and that will run into £millions and the long suffering taxpayer will pick up the bill for that.

So any suggestions on how not to put the bill on the taxpayer? Maybe the wedding should be private and then the couple and the Palace should just issue a series of wedding pictures to the public? Or how about that all monies from souvenir sales should be used to pay for the security?

Security and whatnot will be funded though by the taxpayers.. but lets be real here. Its a good exercise to practice in reality what they are going to have to do a year later with the Olympics and the Queen's Jubilee.
As we know, practice makes perfect. :D

Isn't it largely notional, though? We are paying for the police and the armed forces already. Maybe it will cost us each a few pennies extra, I can live with that :lol:

So any suggestions on how not to put the bill on the taxpayer? Maybe the wedding should be private and then the couple and the Palace should just issue a series of wedding pictures to the public? Or how about that all monies from souvenir sales should be used to pay for the security?

Great suggestions! Or the royals could foot the bill for security too. Why not? They are cushioned from the harsh economic realities that the public have to suffer, through no fault of our own. And since most people in Britain are struggling to maintain their standard of living these days and fearing job losses and social welfare cutbacks, they are for the most part not actually very interested in this wedding. For the most part it seems like an awful waste of money.

For the most part it seems like an awful waste of money.

Well, the money doesn't just evaporate ... it gets paid out to other people, so it moves around. There will be plenty of people involved in providing services and they will all benefit.

Great suggestions! Or the royals could foot the bill for security too. Why not? They are cushioned from the harsh economic realities that the public have to suffer, through no fault of our own. And since most people in Britain are struggling to maintain their standard of living these days and fearing job losses and social welfare cutbacks, they are for the most part not actually very interested in this wedding. For the most part it seems like an awful waste of money.

I think some excellent points have already been made. The cost of policing an event like the royal wedding is largely a sunk cost - policemen are already employed, no extra cops are hired for the day. Some may need to be paid some extra allowances, but that is about all.

Lets not forget that it is not the royals who choose to have security - the government determijes the level of security they require, as will the PM and the visiting dignitaries. Alternatively, we could have a private wedding without the PM.

This is exactly the same type of event as Trooping of the Colour, or the State Opening of Parliament, except more of the public are expected to be present - the very people who will be paying for this security.

Sorry Jemima, to me, your argument just does not hold.

They are cushioned from the harsh economic realities that the public have to suffer, through no fault of our own. And since most people in Britain are struggling to maintain their standard of living these days and fearing job losses and social welfare cutbacks, they are for the most part not actually very interested in this wedding.

You may forget that the Civil List payments have been at the same level since 1990. I don't know many UK households that run on the same amount of money now as they did 20 years ago. Do you?

A fair few bank holidays in April and May next year: 2 for Easter, 1 for the wedding, 2 of the usual May bank holidays.

This isn't considered a "state" affair, so there may not be an official day off.

You may forget that the Civil List payments have been at the same level since 1990. I don't know many UK households that run on the same amount of money now as they did 20 years ago. Do you?

Yes I do, Muriel many UK households are being asked to run on the same or less money than they did 20 years ago.

You may forget that Osborne has just agreed to pay £7?BN to help keep the Irish economy afloat. These are hard times for all of us.

Why should it be any different for the Royals? Think about how popular they would be if the Queen agreed to pay the security bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom