Engagement of Prince William to Catherine Middleton: November 16, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is so nicely said Iluvbertie.I love the this couple very much and wished them the best on the royal FB page and at the same time I don't really envy Kate, or Catherine( how she wished to be addressed now).Anyway, I am looking forward to the wedding and I am very curious if they gonna make a big deal of it,or just a low key with private celebration...things to wonder and see.

:previous: Without sounding too morose, I've been thinking about her family and what a loss they are about to face. I mean, it sounds fun & exciting now but their relationship with her is about to change, permanently. It's already started really with the example given by Kate about how awkward it was keeping the engagement secret from her mother. I'm happy for her but sad for them.

: It's already started really with the example given by Kate about how awkward it was keeping the engagement secret from her mother. I'm happy for her but sad for them.

I was wondering about this too.It didn't sound very natural. Or may be it was just a poise in front of the camera.

Kate's royal prison? Oh brother. :rolleyes:

How long has she been with William -- nearly a decade? I'm pretty sure she understands what her life will entail after the wedding. That article makes it sound like this is an arranged marriage or that she has been living in a cave, locked away from the real world.

Like a lot of the stuff that is written it's more about how other people view things than the reality. Of course she will now face more scrutiny than before and it will be annoying. But these reporters act as if her life is doom and gloom. No one has a middle ground. Either Kate and William will go skipping along under a rainbow or they're doomed to be like his parents and her miserable and lonely.

:previous: Without sounding too morose, I've been thinking about her family and what a loss they are about to face. I mean, it sounds fun & exciting now but their relationship with her is about to change, permanently. It's already started really with the example given by Kate about how awkward it was keeping the engagement secret from her mother. I'm happy for her but sad for them.

I read where Kate won't be with the Royal family for Christmas this year because she wanted to spend her "last Christmas with her family." :sad:

I think that Catherine will have many opportunities to visit her parents and vice versa. Just because the public won't be aware of them doesn't mean that they won't happen, particularly as by all accounts the entire family and William 'get along'.

However, I take much of what's in the press with a grain of salt. Remember all of the kerfuffle about the Queen's not approving of Mrs Middleton because of her greeting ('pleased to meet you', not 'how do you do?' and her use of the word 'toilet'? As it transpires, it was all hooey: the Queen and Mrs Middleton have never met, even to this day.

Undoubtedly, the marriage was discussed with Charles and the Queen well beforehand and over some time; in fact, the Duchess has indicated as much. The 'two hours notice' probably refers to William and Catherine's decision to announce their plans on that particular day with only brief advance warning to his father and grandmother. There is no possibility that they wouldn't have known of his marriage proposal and its acceptance.

I don't think this is necessarily negative but I do think it is accurate.

William wants a woman who will look after him the way Diana and Tiggy did as he was growing up and Kate has been that woman since he was 20. He has even added to that idea by giving her his mother's engagement ring (will it ever truly be Kate's engagement ring? Not to me or to many others unfortunately for her) so that signals again that he wants a 'mummy' figure as much as a wife.

Are they soulmates? Only time will tell.

I do wonder if he is also thinking 'I am very like my father who gave up his first true love and look what happened. That want happen to me.' It might work for him and then again it might be that in a couple of years he actually meets 'the one' but...whereas at the age I am referring to his father married his mother but Diana was never right for Charles - Camilla always was.

I do hope that Kate is the right wife for William for the right reasons but part of me sees a man who simply hasn't looked around and simply lynched onto the one person who gave him, at 20, what he wanted - mother love.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm delighted that we have another royal wedding to look forward to.

Let's put the armchair psychology to rest. William loves Kate and has found in her what we all search for, but rarely find in one person. Love, passion, friendship, loyalty and trust. Charles found it in Camilla. William found it with Kate. The difference is that William is marrying that person first..... rather than marrying that person at last.

It's as simple as that.

Let's put the armchair psychology to rest

I quite agree. Not everything needs to be gnawed over and dissected all the time. It's rather an obnoxious quality I've always thought.

The motivations for this engagement seem to be quite evident. That the two people in question care for one another the way people who wish to get married generally do. They love one another. They have ednured 10 years and would know one another better than anyone else I feel it's safe to assume.

A decade is an adequate amount of time to know if the person you wish to marry is the person you wish to spend the rest of your life with, prince or no prince.

And so what if it should be that they are the only partner either of them have ever had? Half their luck I should think. That someone should be fortunate enough to find love early in life is really quite blessed. It's a wonderful thing.

I'm not saying everything is written in stone, because we all know it isn't, but I find being optimistic quite a pleasant alternative to the subtle, and not so subtle, pessimism you'll find laden throughout the many discussion threads in this forum.

Last edited:
Let's put the armchair psychology to rest.

It's as simple as that.

Why - the armchair psychology is a fun part of it - why did he chose her or her him is a valid discussion point.

Is it love or fear?

Having experienced the disaster of his parents' marriage is he afraid to let her go or does he really love her? Does he even know what love is (as his father famously said in 1981).

I found that aspect of things far more interesting than endless discussion of a possible dress to be worn or a tiara that she might be given.

If you don't wish to participate that is your right but if I wish to get involved in a discussion on armchair psychology and others wish to join me why shouldn't we?

i can't believe they are already saying that kate and will are getting married at westminster abbey JUST because kate was seen there. can't a good girl look at the places she wants to marry without the press assuming crap?

...William wants a woman who will look after him the way Diana and Tiggy did as he was growing up...
I quite agree, and find this a very interesting aspect of their relationship. IMO, perhaps in fairytales people find the person they want to marry in the first person they date, but not in real life, and things are never what they seem to be. William may have more of Diana's genes, but he's his father's son as well, and is it not possible that he has taken nothing of his father's personality. I do believe he has an attitude of "being taken care of", and kate does that job well, and she is aware of what she has gotten into.
I'm happy for them, why not? better her than some stuck up lady:)

^ i found it intresting that they were never asked if they were in love , and they didnt insert that in the conversation themselves...they could have said "oh we're so happy, so in love":) i thought since diana and charles had been asked, they would be too, just for the fun of it!

As I type this I can hear the TV news reporting that we should know tonight where the wedding will take place, and that William wants it to be Westminster Abbey because that's where his mother's funeral took place! :ohmy: Really?! How romantic for Kate.:lol:

What I wanted to say was all this living in a prison business must be taken with a grain of salt. Royal life is, and will remain, well organised and planned well in advance, but I think that by the time William is CEO of the family firm things may well be far more relaxed and the main players will have more control over their lives. William is showing his more informal style already and I don't think he is going to change. I think that by the time he is king the grey men will have less control over what the Royals say and do and how they do it and William will be setting a few rules of his own.

As I type this I can hear the TV news reporting that we should know tonight where the wedding will take place, and that William wants it to be Westminster Abbey because that's where his mother's funeral took place! :ohmy: Really?! How romantic for Kate.

If that is the reason then that is just awful. It seems like he hasn't come to terms with his mother's death and that isn't a good omen for wedded bliss as Diana will be the third person in that marriage.

If his reason for preferring Westminster is that his grandmother and great-grandmother both married there and they both had happy marriages I would think that he was looking for happy reasons for chosing the venue but it seems to me that he simply hasn't grown up.

First he doesn't get Kate her own ring and now he wants to hold a wedding at the venue of his mother's funeral and because of that reason - sounds like major issues could be there in the future.

I don't think this is necessarily negative but I do think it is accurate.

William wants a woman who will look after him the way Diana and Tiggy did as he was growing up and Kate has been that woman since he was 20. He has even added to that idea by giving her his mother's engagement ring (will it ever truly be Kate's engagement ring? Not to me or to many others unfortunately for her) so that signals again that he wants a 'mummy' figure as much as a wife.

Are they soulmates? Only time will tell.

I do wonder if he is also thinking 'I am very like my father who gave up his first true love and look what happened. That want happen to me.' It might work for him and then again it might be that in a couple of years he actually meets 'the one' but...whereas at the age I am referring to his father married his mother but Diana was never right for Charles - Camilla always was.

I do hope that Kate is the right wife for William for the right reasons but part of me sees a man who simply hasn't looked around and simply lynched onto the one person who gave him, at 20, what he wanted - mother love.

Why - the armchair psychology is a fun part of it - why did he chose her or her him is a valid discussion point.

Is it love or fear?

Having experienced the disaster of his parents' marriage is he afraid to let her go or does he really love her? Does he even know what love is (as his father famously said in 1981).

I found that aspect of things far more interesting than endless discussion of a possible dress to be worn or a tiara that she might be given.

If you don't wish to participate that is your right but if I wish to get involved in a discussion on armchair psychology and others wish to join me why shouldn't we?

Iluvbertie you aren't allowed to bring up a dynamic conversation about Kate and William. We're still in the 'perfect Kate' faze.

I like talking about wedding dresses, but I would like to talk about the psychology of kate and williams relationship too :flowers:

I thought it was very telling when William was all "I can't cook, I'm helpless" and then Kate looked like an amused exasperated babysitter saying "I usually save the cooking." Their comments seemed to be on a very caretaker vs child level. Probably similar to that of Camilla and Charles. The interview kind of reaffirmed that Kate actually really wanted to get married. For example there was tension with William when he said 'he' wanted to wait, and then Kate said she didn't like 'taking a break'. It was all very... patient-housewife-who-does-everything.

However, I think that is what William needs. I always thought William and Harry might desire some kind of mother figure for a partner, since theirs was taken away so early on in their lives. Kate seems like a girl who will last a looong time. She wants it and she's patient. The drive to want to be Williams wife is probably what she needs to survive such a tough media situation.

William probably felt too much pressure on all sides. I'm sure he loves Kate, but it was probably 'its been so long i have to marry her now'. A lot of guys go into marriage that way though.

The part that was almost hard to watch for me was when they were speaking about spiltting up, Kate looked so uncomfortable and her answer made me feel for her. I'm glad that she stuck it out.

I liked that she didnt try to hide the fact that she obviously was the dumpd one at the time.

Everything that has been said about the psychology of William and Kate's relationship could just as easily be applied to anyone else here and so whatever anyone says, there will be just as valid an opposite thought.

For instance, if William is focusing on keeping his mother's memory alive, surely the wedding venue will be St Pauls, the date will be at the end of July, the dress will be an Emmanuel replica and Kate will soon be highlighting her hair blond!

If Westminster Abbey is chosen for the venue, it will be chosen for the fact that it is the traditional venue for almost all the royal weddings and royal funerals, not to mention coronations and not simply because Diana's funeral was there.

If William is marrying Kate for her maternal instincts and ability to look after him, then what man isn't looking for that?! What woman isn't looking for her prince?!

William isn't the first person in the world whose parents have divorced, whose mother has died, whose father lost out on his first love the first time around and eventually married her.

Well, I think its safe to say that Diana wasn't looking to be a mother figure in a relationship haha.

maybe for marriages to work only one person is allowed to be selfish... while the other is the caretaker? I'm afraid I'd be a Diana wife. I'm not looking to be anybody's mother.:ermm:
Thank god William found the right woman for the job :flowers:

I hope they will be very happy, my pick for Wedding date is June 4th.;)

If that is the reason then that is just awful. It seems like he hasn't come to terms with his mother's death and that isn't a good omen for wedded bliss as Diana will be the third person in that marriage.

If his reason for preferring Westminster is that his grandmother and great-grandmother both married there and they both had happy marriages I would think that he was looking for happy reasons for chosing the venue but it seems to me that he simply hasn't grown up.

First he doesn't get Kate her own ring and now he wants to hold a wedding at the venue of his mother's funeral and because of that reason - sounds like major issues could be there in the future.

I agree, poor Kate, there could be issues in the future..

BTW, I've gotten the vibe that because Will's mother was taken away so early, he needs a mother figure, but I hope that he's marrying her because he can't keep his hands off her and because he loves her to death and not because he kind of figures it's time now and because he doesn't want to keep Kate waiting anymore! Good god, I don't know if the BRC can handle another divorce... But the interview I have to say really confirmed "the Waity Katy" thing for me.

To chose Westminster Abbey because of Dianas funeral service (she wasnt buried there of course), to make her part of it this way would be pretty sick.

The right reason to chose it would be the fact that it is such an important church related to the Windsors, the weddings that took place there and the coronation.

It's not that we're not allowed to discuss negative things about Kate trust me we've had our fair share of criticizing her but I mean I do the same even when my grandma cooks and she messes up or she needs something I run and try to take control of the situation and keep it as calm as possible. We all know William is probably not the greatest cook in the world but I thought the fact he even tried to cook for her was great! I actually didn't get the whole babysitter vibe from Kate at all they both admitted that Kate was the one who usually came and took control when William would mess up with his cooking. And I can't see any girl being happy being dumped by a Prince not exactly something you'd be proud of even if it was for a short time of course it annoyed her! William had a big choice no wonder he needed time to think it through I honestly do not blame him one bit!

Westminster is the principal Royal church in the capital. It's where all coronations since the Conqueror have taken place, and, with one notable exception, where larger scale/public Royal Weddings have taken place over the last several decades. Moreover, it's where *both* sets of Prince William's grandparents had their marriages solemnised. I should think we can come up with more reasons for the wedding to be held there than the connection with the Princess of Wales's funeral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom