Engagement of Prince William to Catherine Middleton: November 16, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well at the BRF is contributing something and not leaving it all to the taxpayers. And when they say taxpayers is just the ones in England or the entire Commonwealth?

Just Britain.

It looks like Charles and the Queen will be picking a large part of the tab, from their private wealth. Prince William and Kate Middleton wedding: Charles to pick up the bill | Mail Online

From the reporting I've been reading lately, a lot of focus is put on the security the taxpayer's will have to fund for this wedding. I think it will be well worth it for London as it does give a chance to put in force and test out some possible security tactics that they perhaps are working on for the upcoming BIG events of 2012... the Olympics and the Jubilee.

One thing about the ring that has been going through my mind since I saw it flash on Kate's finger is how William said he'd been carrying it around with him for three weeks prior to proposing. I can imagine the happy memories he'd have each time he looked at that ring and to me in a way, giving Kate this ring, is giving her a part of himself that he wishes to share with her for a lifetime. To me its fitting.

I'd LOVE to see a March wedding date!

If Prince Charles and the Queen are paying for the wedding, it seems reasonable to me that the taxpayers should pick up the expense for security, since the numbers of citizens and tourists that will be on the streets flanking the prosession route will be where security is provided most.

Prince William getting married IS significant news in the world, and this wedding WILL be watched by millions. If I could afford to travel to London to witness it, I would in a heartbeat. This is one event I am very looking forward to.

If Prince Charles and the Queen are paying for the wedding, it seems reasonable to me that the taxpayers should pick up the expense for security, since the numbers of citizens and tourists that will be on the streets flanking the prosession route will be where security is provided most.

Prince William getting married IS significant news in the world, and this wedding WILL be watched by millions. If I could afford to travel to London to witness it, I would in a heartbeat. This is one event I am very looking forward to.

I was just talking to my sister about traveling to London for this. I can't decide if I want to catch the news and pics on TRF or stand in a crowd and feel the vibe. I was planning on coming for the London Olympics but :ROFLMAO:

So the London taxpayer pays for the security...and now I need to get airfare, pay for a hotel and meals and incidentals. Of which, those who work in the hotels and restuarants will be able to work and potentially pick up extra hours and spend the money in their community.

I live in the DC area and people always complain about the cost of the inaguration (both sides complain about each other:whistling:) but we in the DC area love it! It definitely improves our tourist numbers in terms of the revenue that it brings every four years.

The length of the parade route and thus the security costs would be determined by the venue. For instance a venue close to BP would mean a short route and thus far less security then say one at Westminster or St Paul's.

The Chapel Royal at St James or the Guards Chapel would both reduce costs to the taxpayers as they are smaller and fewer overseas dignataries would be invited.

I have plans to go to London in 2012 and so won't be able to even considering going twice. My family have been committed to the Olympics since 2005 so that is where our money will be going and thus no money for royal related stuff for either of these events as they are too close to the Olympics.

:previous:
I see your point, however I really hope they don't go with St. James. The route from St. James to BP would be a short procession and disappointing to everyone that gathers to watch it live, and those watching on TV. If they don't spread out the route, everyone will be bottle necked in a limited area, which wouldn't help security measures.

...One thing about the ring that has been going through my mind since I saw it flash on Kate's finger is how William said he'd been carrying it around with him for three weeks prior to proposing. I can imagine the happy memories he'd have each time he looked at that ring and to me in a way, giving Kate this ring, is giving her a part of himself that he wishes to share with her for a lifetime. To me its fitting.
I agree. The ring is symbolic to him and obviously very special....as IS. I truly don't understand why some feel he should not have given it to his future wife as **gasp!** an engagement ring! How dare he! They would rather see it dismantled and cut up than see it on Kate's finger in tact. One has to wonder what will be expected from Diana's other jewelry that William and Harry inherited. I doubt they will want any piece to be redesigned or cut up, and the moment Kate steps out in something that belonged to Diana, I am sure she will be ridiculed for it. Seriously sad.

I also hope for a March wedding! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going to be a big deal in the US I think, more so than other recent royal weddings, even more recent royal weddings in the UK. Diana and her sons were always big news here in the States and now that one of them is getting married, it's going to be talked about. I don't know about a station airing the wedding, although it might very well happen -- I remember watching Edward and Sophie's wedding back in 1999.

I wonder if Kate is going to have any appearances with the BRF as the royal fiancee? Kind of like how Letizia was at Fred and Mary's wedding.

I wonder if Kate is going to have any appearances with the BRF as the royal fiancee? Kind of like how Letizia was at Fred and Mary's wedding.

I think the next big BRF event we'd see her at is Christmas at Sandringham, now that they're engaged. Prior to the wedding, which has been rumored to be happening anywhere from March to June, what other big events that the family goes to are on the calendar? If they get married after the Trooping of the Color, we'll definitely see her there. Same goes with the Royal Ascot.

I expect that she will have a lot of official outings with BRF. I think it's part of protocol. I can't remember how it was when Diana was engaged.

Well, William is not going to Sandringham this year so thats out.

For the big events, I imagine we will definitely see her at the Trooping and Ascot (provided they aren't already married). I can also see her attending a couple of his engagements that aren't "big". Diana did the same with Charles. She did the polo rounds, help to plant a tree at Mountbatten's home, went to Wales, did the engagement in the black dress with Grace, etc. Was at Ascot, the Trooping.... All before July 29th.

It's a shame we won't see them at Christmas, but yeah if they get married after May, we'll definitely see her on the balcony for the Trooping and then again at Ascot. Which should be fun, I'd love to see what hat she wears.

I have mixed feelings about the ring, but it is now Kate's engagement ring, and there is a real possibility that when we look at that ring we won't associate it with tragedy. These two have several things going for them that William's parents didn't have. They love each other. There is no "whatever being in love means." Kate is older and seems to have a good head on her shoulders. I wish them all the happiness in the world and have a feeling they will have a wonderful life together.

I do not feel the ring is cursed, but I always feel that giving your mother's ring as an engagement ring is really second hand and would be so much
nicer to have a new ring that is just for you and picked out just for you.

I think we'll see a lot of paparazzi pics instead.:lol: I think they will chase Kate and William even more then ever. :D

I don't see how it's second-hand. A lot of families have heirloom jewelry that gets passed down, and it doesn't have to be expensive or even gaudy. My mother's engagement ring was my father's grandmother's wedding ring. The ring I currently wear on my hand (I'm not engaged/married) was my maternal great-grandmother's engagement ring. My mom gave it to me as a gift when I graduated from college 5 years ago.

This really isn't any different. When Diana died, the ring became William's property. He chose to give that ring to Catherine as an engagement ring. The ring and the woman who previously owned it mean a lot to him, and Catherine means a lot to him too.

I think we'll see a lot of paparazzi pics instead.:lol: I think they will chase Kate and William even more then ever. :D

I think the press will try....but William is working as a helicopter pilot...what are they going to do...chase him in the sky...I would imagine that Kate (who now has her own protecton officer) isn't going to be caught in Wales a lot. Unless its at the local store via the cameras.:ermm:

This is going to be a big deal in the US I think, more so than other recent royal weddings, even more recent royal weddings in the UK. Diana and her sons were always big news here in the States and now that one of them is getting married, it's going to be talked about. I don't know about a station airing the wedding, although it might very well happen -- I remember watching Edward and Sophie's wedding back in 1999.

I can't imagine it not being covered in the US by a few major networks. As you said, the Royal Family is quite popular here and this is a major interest due to it being Prince William.

If she's dealt with the last 7 or 8 years, she can deal with a lifetime. She's had more than enough exposure to what life as William's wife and later consort, will be about. If she couldn't hack it, he would have never proposed. I can't see him repeating his father's mistake and marrying someone he didn't really love, just because it was expected of him. He's more a Spencer than a Windsor, both in looks and temperament, so I think unlike some of the other marriages in his family, this one will last.

He's more a Spencer than a Windsor, both in looks and temperament, so I think unlike some of the other marriages in his family, this one will last.

He is all Windsor-Mountbatten in both looks and temperament and brains.

He is looking more and more like Edward and Philip, has their sense of duty and the brains also come from that side of the family.

The older he gets the less of Diana I see in him - not that I ever saw much. He has always reminded me of Philip and the Mountbattens rather than anything else.

Firstly - something weird just happened to my computer so I may be doubling up on this comment - sorry if that's happened!

I originally wrote to say to Bolita that I totaly agree with her. I know a number of pages have been written since she wrote this comment below and I've not read them but I totally and utterly agree with her! :flowers:

I think Kate was spectacular - she looked gorgeous, she handled herself incredibly well under immense pressure, handled the questions about things that perhaps a person might want to keep as private memories very well ... I think she deserves a round of applause to be frank!

They don't do "the family thing" in connection with engagements.

I thought Kate's hair was beautiful. I really envy her that head of hair. Not damaged at all as far as I could see. i also thought she managed very well during the interview. She showed some insecurity a couple of times (akward questions) but all in all she answered well and sounded like a person who knew what kind of life she was entering into.

They suit eachother so well and look so happy and at ease with eachother and the situation.

I've been looking at old pictures of Diana, and I noticed that in the early days of the marriage when she was happiest, she had on her engagement ring. Perhaps William has that same association.

I am seriously contemplating a trip to London for the wedding, even though I'm claustrophobic and can't handle long flights! The tricky part would be if they do get married in the spring because I anticipate finishing graduate school at the same time.

Even if the Queen and Prince of Wales pay for the bulk of wedding costs, the security is something that has bearing on both the royal family and ordinary citizens. We do live in difficult times and a royal wedding would be a huge terrorist target. If there's not enough security and something happens to innocent bystanders, then people will blame the government. So it will be on the shoulders of David Cameron and his government to plan accordingly.

He is all Windsor-Mountbatten in both looks and temperament and brains.

He is looking more and more like Edward and Philip, has their sense of duty and the brains also come from that side of the family.

The older he gets the less of Diana I see in him - not that I ever saw much. He has always reminded me of Philip and the Mountbattens rather than anything else.

He has Diana's eyes with the same tendency of putting his chin down and looking up through his lashes. I see her smile at times as well. However, the rest is definitely Windsor-Mountbatten including the teeth and balding pattern. I don't see an ounce of Spencer in him except for perhaps the height..

I think we can all agree that we all see different things in the same people, places and things.

I see Diana and a young Prince Phillip in William. Look a pictures of Phillip while he was in the navy, and first married. Same mannerisms.

But he is definitely his own man.

I was reading a book about Prince Philip not too long ago, and William is the spitting image of young Philip right around the time of his marriage. Though when William was younger, he looked so much like Diana.

I'm very happy that William and Kate are getting married.
I do have a question though. AT the official photocall/interview yesterday, were they standing under a portrait of King William IV or King George IV?
If it was under William IV, I wonder if that was intentional. Very clever if it was.

^I know!!! Sometimes William looks sooooo much like Prince Philip, and sometimes Prince Edward..... and then he looks like Diana. It all varies according to his expression, I think. There's a sparkle in the eye that is soo much like his paternal grandfather.

I'm very happy that William and Kate are getting married.
I do have a question though. AT the official photocall/interview yesterday, were they standing under a portrait of King William IV or King George IV?
If it was under William IV, I wonder if that was intentional. Very clever if it was.

When I watch the tape, I can't see anything but the feet. And the feet defintely look like they are from the William IV/George IV timeframe. So honestly, it could be either one of them. I need to see the slope of the head:flowers: William IV had a different type of head, that one doesn't forget.

I didn't seen the painting that they were standing under, but I did realize today the photo call took place at St. James's Palace. Not surprising, since that's where William's staff have their offices, but I am rather fond of St. James's Palace. It was nice to see it in the spotlight.

Forgive me if this article has been linked already, but I noticed an interesting detail when I was reading it. It seems that the Queen and Prince Charles only learned about the engagement about 2 hours before the announcement. Perhaps that's why Charles and Camilla made some remarks that could have been misinterpreted ("They've been practicing long enough," "It's wicked"). They really didn't have time for it to sink in and prepare their remarks!

That doesn't make sense as The Queen would have to have given her consent and then the press have time to gather - that would take more than two hours to arrange. Just the sheer logistics would indicate that she knew earlier than two hours earlier that they were engaged and the same with Charles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom