The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Aristocracy

William has embraced his role with enthusiasm these past few years and I don't see any fear that he will ever step aside. Albeit Harry has expressed his dislike of England and his preference for other occupations not suitable for a royal. At one time during his gap year he said he wanted to be a professional polo player.

Prince Harry Has Surfer Dreams - Good Deeds, Prince Harry, Prince William : People.com

Then too I believe William is marrying a woman he deems perfect for the role of his Queen by his side.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I have to wonder if the difference we see in the two is just a case of natural personalties. If you think back to seeing early video of the two, Harry was more rough and tumble and William was quietly curious. IMO, they have the stereotypic "first child", "second child" behaviors. William is more reserved, and quiet and Harry is more "out there" and more forthcoming.

I have to say that in my own family, there is myself and my sister and we are very similar in that respect to William and Harry. I am the oldest and she's the youngest, and I've always been very introverted, very shy, and very to myself whereas my sister has always been very boisterous, very extroverted and very exuberant. With my parents, they are both the younger of their families' two children and it's the same thing. My uncles are both very moody and can be withdrawn, while my parents are the exact opposite.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 12-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Courtier

I don't know that William has done enough to say that he will make a good king.

As for their personalities we only know what the media gives us and they seem awfully keen to portray William as the "perfect" one and Harry as the "awful" one. I remember watching a documentary on Princess Margaret and they said that she once mentioned that if the Queen was everything good then she was everything bad. That still goes on today. For example: William was drinking at that same club that Harry was drinking at but you only ever heard about the naughty things Harry was doing.
(referring to Harry's scandal) Although, I think that Harry's ability to stand up to the controversy he has caused in his life has served him better than William because the day that William does something wrong he will really have the media raining down on him.

Interesting side note I don't think that William certainly has put a foot wrong too often publicly. Does he have that good of judgement? Does the media or his family cover up for him? I don't think anyone can say for certain on that topic.

Harry also isn't all that carefree. He certainly doesn't seem that way when he is in the military or doing charity events. I get the perception that he isn't valued for the stuff he tries to do because he is the one doing them.

William also isn't the only one who holds the royal family in his hands. Harry also has duties in that respect given his popularity and his ranking in the family. I understand that while some people think William has it tougher I disagree. I think the royal family holds him in higher esteem because he is the "heir." The Queen Mother reportedly used to ignore Harry in favor of William when they were both in the same room together. Harry also doesn't appear to be receiving the same training as William is receiving to take over the top job. Leaving him significantly impaired if he were forced to takeover. I only hope that the royal family has learned their lesson from when Prince Albert, the future King George VI, had to takeover and I don't believe that he had the training for it prior to the day he got the job. Then again you could probably argue that all the role really needs is media training and Harry has that in spades.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Courtier

I don't see that William gets a pass on anything from the press. Why would he? They don't care if he is the heir to the heir anymore than they cared that Charles is THE heir. If they slip up, then they are fair game and what juicier morsel than the future King? William is well aware of that having seen what his parents went through. Harry has made some poor choices that have put him front and center in the media's bulls eye.

I didn't say that When holds the Royal family in his hands, I said he holds the future of the Monarchy in his hands as 2ND in line to the throne. Harry is 3rd, but only until William has an heir. Prince Charles is not going to step down in favor of William and William is not going to step down in favor of Harry. Only the death will shift the current positions where training may be necessary. I think William has been groomed since childhood in preparation for his future role as King, but I don't know how much official training he has been given as 2ND in line and not the current heir. I don't see that Harry is a factor at this point.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Both William and Harry have had enough training to do the job as they are both now eligible, and William certainly has served, as Counsellors of State - the people who actually do the job whenever the Queen is out of the country.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:57 AM
Administrator

We are getting way OFF TOPIC in regards to the engagement of William and Catherine.

If you wish to discuss William and Harry as it relates to their princely duties, please do so here Duties, Roles and Royal Training of the Princes .

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 01-02-2011, 04:06 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Royal Wedding street parties could be shelved as million plan exodus abroad - Telegraph

It had been billed as a chance to recapture the magic of wedding of the Prince Charles and Lady Diana, with thousands of street parties up and down the country.

But so many Britons are intending to take advantage of the extra royal wedding bank holiday by taking trips abroad that many communities are shelving plans for outdoor get-togethers because of fears of low turnouts.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:51 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Royal Wedding street parties could be shelved as million plan exodus abroad - Telegraph

It had been billed as a chance to recapture the magic of wedding of the Prince Charles and Lady Diana, with thousands of street parties up and down the country.

But so many Britons are intending to take advantage of the extra royal wedding bank holiday by taking trips abroad that many communities are shelving plans for outdoor get-togethers because of fears of low turnouts.
Ah but can you see the aftermath? In 20 years how many folks will be able to say "I was a Wills and Kate's wedding baby"

I really don't think that there will be that much of a mass exodus away from the goings on as much as there will be a swarm of folks heading to London for the wedding.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Gentry

May I direct you to this very funny page about William and Kate's wedding memorabilia?

Quirky Prince William and Kate Middleton royal wedding plates - Telegraph
Old 01-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Serene Highness

I thought the country was in a recession.

Here if we don't have extra to spend, we certainly don't even consider taking a trip. weird..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
May I direct you to this very funny page about William and Kate's wedding memorabilia?

Quirky Prince William and Kate Middleton royal wedding plates - Telegraph
. Can you read what the Facebook one says?
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post

I've no doubt many will use the opportunity to go on holiday, assuming anyone can afford it by then!

But I personally am getting similar vibes from the media as in the build up to the Queen's Golden Jubileevin 2002, months previous the media was saying how no-one was interested, no-one would bother turning up to London to see her do anything, the balcony appearance etc, it'd be nothing like the Silver Jubilee in 77 with all those street parties & everyone really into it. The media were all doom & gloom about it & yet when it got down to it far more people turned up to events and/or went to London than the media anticipated. They almost seemed in shock at how popular the whole thing turned out to be, maybe not quite to 1977 levels but far more than the media had previously predicted in the year/months beforehand. I reckon the wedding could be similar int hat sense, people will get more excited/involved once it's actually nearer the time.

So yeah, I've no idea how much real interest there is in a Royal Wedding but I also don't put too much sway in the media saying there is tons of interest or no interest at all. See what happens on the day & whether the public get caught up in it or not & want to join in the celebrations, the media should stop being so doom & gloom about everything.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Serene Highness

"the media should stop being so doom & gloom about everything. "

But what would be the fun in that? :)
Old 01-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7 View Post
I've no doubt many will use the opportunity to go on holiday, assuming anyone can afford it by then!

But I personally am getting similar vibes from the media as in the build up to the Queen's Golden Jubileevin 2002, months previous the media was saying how no-one was interested, no-one would bother turning up to London to see her do anything, the balcony appearance etc, it'd be nothing like the Silver Jubilee in 77 with all those street parties & everyone really into it. The media were all doom & gloom about it & yet when it got down to it far more people turned up to events and/or went to London than the media anticipated. They almost seemed in shock at how popular the whole thing turned out to be, maybe not quite to 1977 levels but far more than the media had previously predicted in the year/months beforehand. I reckon the wedding could be similar int hat sense, people will get more excited/involved once it's actually nearer the time.

So yeah, I've no idea how much real interest there is in a Royal Wedding but I also don't put too much sway in the media saying there is tons of interest or no interest at all. See what happens on the day & whether the public get caught up in it or not & want to join in the celebrations, the media should stop being so doom & gloom about everything.
Her jubilee was during different economic climates. The economic situation will probably determine how many people show-up. Then again maybe money will not be a factor and people will just want a show.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Courtier

HELLO! - The place for daily celebrity news - hellomagazine.com
Old 01-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
Her jubilee was during different economic climates. The economic situation will probably determine how many people show-up. Then again maybe money will not be a factor and people will just want a show.
If anything, the answer is likely to be to the contrary. In good economic times, people tend to have more money to take foreign holidays when there are a number of public holidays close together, as we will have in April / May 2011. In less well off times, more people are likely to stay closer to home and go to the Palace to see this free spectacle.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

# 1513

The Great British Public will turn out for the wedding and all the other events between now and the end of 2012. Why? Because it has always turned out for the Royals.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Seems to me people come to their conclusions on whether or not they believe certain tabloid articles about the BRF on whether or not they care for them.

If you don't care for William or Camilla than every negative article written in the Daily Mail, the Sunday Express is true. And the source is always reliable Palace sources. But no one who ever goes on record with a name. And suddenly every thing that Richard Kay and Katie Nicholls says is the truth. Unless its not.

Let's see now William doesn't want to be royal, Snoop Dogg is not performing at the Wedding (after it was printed that he would), Earl Spencer will speak at the wedding, the list goes on and on.

How many times in the past where we told that Kate had met the Queen(several times) and it turns out they met for the first time at Peter Phillips wedding?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
# 1513

The Great British Public will turn out for the wedding and all the other events between now and the end of 2012. Why? Because it has always turned out for the Royals.
Renata what does your post have to do with #1513?
Old 01-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Renata what does your post have to do with #1513?
I suspect she means that by a large turnout, the British public will show that they care for William and Catherine and at least the Royal Family. She says that in reply to Zonk, who has typed that whether one cares for William and/or Camilla will be determined whether one believes all or most of the press written about them.
I think that is the bigger picture and the way Renata meant what she wrote. She is free to correct me if I'm wrong at all times, of course.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Courtier

I had to look twice.. what will they come up with next..this is great.........

HappyLand Royal Wedding Set - ParentDish
Old 01-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Aristocracy

thank you for this lovely laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Grainy 8mm video footage was uploaded to TMZ's website of Catherine Middleton sneezing. It was a dainty sneeze befitting a future queen, but it wasn't obnoxiously cutesy. She was wearing a black dress with pale blue ribbon trim and a pair of black knee-high boots, with a pea coat and scarf. Very chic. All the girls will want to make it their official "sneezing on video" outfit.
I am SO tired of TMZ, ET and all the other news hounds going to this kind of extreme over everything that would be this trivial. Of course you are kidding but the sad thing is that it's plausible.