The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-24-2010, 04:54 AM
Nobility

For the Australians on here - do you think we will be able to watch the wedding on TV (SBS, ABC or something) or do you think we will have to watch the Internet streaming.

I would love it to be on TV but with all the constant talk of a republic I am not sure if they will show it. At least it will be in the evening or night for us.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:58 AM
Courtier

ok i have a really stupid question, but i want to have it answered anyway: is William (even as heir to heir) expected to put duty first? before family?

Old 11-24-2010, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_1 View Post
ok i have a really stupid question, but i want to have it answered anyway: is William (even as heir to heir) expected to put duty first? before family?
It's not a stupid question at all, but it would be useful if someone could explain what "duty before family" means. Are we talking about his cancelling a duty if Kate was ill or restricting his duties if he wants to spend more time with her?
Old 11-24-2010, 05:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathl29 View Post
For the Australians on here - do you think we will be able to watch the wedding on TV (SBS, ABC or something) or do you think we will have to watch the Internet streaming.

I would love it to be on TV but with all the constant talk of a republic I am not sure if they will show it. At least it will be in the evening or night for us.
I think it will be shown on TV. The republic issue is not an anti-Windsor or anti-Britain issue, and our connection is still close enough to warrant this event being shown on national TV, IMO. I reckon the ABC will show it, and perhaps even one of the commercial stations. If not, I'll just have to be content with the BBC or one of the other international news stations on Austar. And I have plenty of time to buy a DVD recorder so I'll be set. Midday, London, is 11pm east coast Australia, so it will be like sitting up all night to watch an Ashes test. I'll probably want to watch it live, and record it too.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

I would say that the ABC and possibly SBS along with Sky News will have it. One of the commercial channels will also probably run it but the commercial channels will also have football commitments and having paid millions for the rights the codes won't let them forego the showing of those games for the wedding.

I know that the Swans are playing that night at the SCG so I would assume Channel 10 will be doing that game. Channel 7 may have a rugby commitment and Channel 9 a League one.

That is assuming that the timing is like past BRF weddings - e.g. for Diana and Charles I had seen the balcony scene before going to bed at 11.00 p.m.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
It's not a stupid question at all, but it would be useful if someone could explain what "duty before family" means. Are we talking about his cancelling a duty if Kate was ill or restricting his duties if he wants to spend more time with her?
yes, that would be my description...or if his children were starting school and he couldn't accompany them on their first day because he had to go to an official event, etc.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I think it will be shown on TV. The republic issue is not an anti-Windsor or anti-Britain issue, and our connection is still close enough to warrant this event being shown on national TV, IMO. I reckon the ABC will show it, and perhaps even one of the commercial stations. If not, I'll just have to be content with the BBC or one of the other international news stations on Austar. And I have plenty of time to buy a DVD recorder so I'll be set. Midday, London, is 11pm east coast Australia, so it will be like sitting up all night to watch an Ashes test. I'll probably want to watch it live, and record it too.
Someone will show it. Depending on who has the rights for live football games that night will, and in the case of the rugby where the games are being played e.g. NZ would be finished by about 7.30 p.m. whereas Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra would be clashing but South Africa would probably be after they have finished in London.

The League is different and Channel 9 rarely show games live, even on Friday nights leaving that to Foxtel.

As for the republic debate - totally irrelevant. This is simply entertainment and nothing other than that.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
yes, that would be my description...or if his children were starting school and he couldn't accompany them on their first day because he had to go to an official event, etc.

Official duties are his job - how many fathers are able to go with their kids on their first day at school? Very few if my experience of over 30 years of seeing kids on their first day.

I would expect him to do his job like any other person and like any other person have time off from that job for really personal stuff e.g. if Kate was giving birth he would get a pass to miss an engagement but if a kid was sick and she was able to be at home with the kid then I would expect, like any other father, that he went to work.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Commoner

whats the likelyhood there will be package deals to the UK for flights and stuff just for the wedding?

I don't think BBC will broadcast the whole thing..... aren't they more left?

RIP
Old 11-24-2010, 11:23 AM

First post here!

Apparently, they're going to be inviting some members of the public to the wedding. Pick me!

100 members of public to be invited to royal wedding - CTV News
Old 11-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisXVI View Post
whats the likelyhood there will be package deals to the UK for flights and stuff just for the wedding?

I don't think BBC will broadcast the whole thing..... aren't they more left?
Doubtful they'll be package holidays just for the wedding.
And the BBC as well as ITV will more than likely show the whole wedding.
They show the Remembrance Service every year, Trooping of the Colour etc. The also showed Camilla and Charles wedding, or what we were allowed to see of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
You know...The only thing I can think of between now and the Wedding that would count as an official engagement would be attending along w/William the BAFTA's Awards Ceremony. Britain's Oscars for those who don't know what they are. :)

Isn't William now the President of the organization or at least Patron? I'm going on memory here from earlier this year, so feel free to correct my memory. :) Anyway...If so, then maybe?
He patron and I would imagine he would attend this year. But that is not a big royal event such as Trooping of the Colour or Ascot for instance.

Quote:
Depends, but most likely Yes.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmermaid View Post
First post here!

Apparently, they're going to be inviting some members of the public to the wedding. Pick me!

Me too -- I just need to buy a hat!

Welcome to the boards, lilacmermaid!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmermaid View Post
First post here!

How wonderful! Not only will the 100 lucky ones be invited to the ceremony but also the wedding breakfast at BP. This has got to be a first!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
How wonderful! Not only will the 100 lucky ones be invited to the ceremony but also the wedding breakfast at BP. This has got to be a first!
To the wedding breakfast too? Wah! I wanna go!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Me too! My mom jokingly said today you should have been the first one invited since you love the BRF so much!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd love an invite too!
Old 11-25-2010, 12:03 AM
Serene Highness

I'm sure it will be in the mail any day!
Old 11-25-2010, 03:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:

Considering that Charles and Camilla's wedding was shown on 3 free to air stations, (ABC, Channels 7 and 9) same coverage just different commentators! I'm sure that William and Kate's wedding will be shown live and on more than one free to air station!
Old 11-25-2010, 03:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
Considering that Charles and Camilla's wedding was shown on 3 free to air stations, (ABC, Channels 7 and 9) same coverage just different commentators! I'm sure that William and Kate's wedding will be shown live and on more than one free to air station!

Charles and Diana married on a Wednesday whereas this wedding will be on a Friday and the three commercial channels have commitments to the different football codes.

If possible I am sure that one of them will carry the wedding but if the football matches clash they have already signed contracts to show games so they would be in breach of those contracts if they didn't show the football.

The ABC and SBS, and probably SkyNews will show the wedding. That should be plenty of choices for people who want to watch it.

Of course the way the draw for the different codes works out that night it might be possible for one of them to show the wedding.