The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I thoughts she looked very pretty in the photos and the video. She seemed very nervous in the interview. I do wish she cut or trim her hair. Her hair looks a little damaged.

Can't wait to see how she does it for the wedding.
I agree I wanted to whack that bit off her face every time she turned. What is she going to do with it? I hope she looks to Princess Mary to see how she styles her hair LOL

Old 11-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Rain View Post
If they have a son(s) he may want to get his own ring. Godforbid their marriage does not last but would someone really want to use a engagement ring of their mother and grandmother in a case where both marriages failed? I hope they remain together until one of them passes but in this life the only only guarantee in life is that you will die.
I really don't get how this ring will ruin the marriage. I just don't get it. Are William and Kate even the same as Charles and Diana? When did these two become so interchangeable that people think the ring is some sort of bad luck charm that dooms the people who wear it. If this marriage ended it would be for millions of other reasons. The ring seems to be just an excuse to drudge up the past.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaJa View Post
I really don't get how this ring will ruin the marriage. I just don't get it. Are William and Kate even the same as Charles and Diana? When did these two become so interchangeable that people think the ring is some sort of bad luck charm that dooms the people who wear it. If this marriage ended it would be for millions of other reasons. The ring seems to be just an excuse to drudge up the past.
Don't worry ZaJa, it's just superstition that leads some to think that this will bring bad luck.
I think it's a wonderful gesture and am positive they will succeed in marriage.

Charles and Diana and William and Kate/Catherine are incomparable. Different people, different courtship and general time leading up to the engagement and a very different time period.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I am not at all inclined to think the ring is a curse. It is merely a token to mark the engagement. Catherine may, as did the Queen Mother, choose not to wear an engagement ring after the wedding...not immediately though.

It is Prince William who is using an inanimate object to inject his mother into the picture...superstition works both ways.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Serene Highness

I think the fact that William gave her his moms ring shows that he still loves and respects his mom enough to give it to his future wife. I find the gesture quite honorable and filled with love. Its something that obviously means alot to him and thats all that matters. She is very lucky to be given such a beautiful item. As for bad luck with the ring, I think its up to them as to how their lives will turn out. They are not in the same situation as Charles and Diana were, they have been together a long time and know eachother well. I think they are prepared for this next step in their journey together. I have a good feeling about this couple and wish them years of love and happiness. William deserves to be happy. Cheers to them!!!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVA View Post
I agree I wanted to whack that bit off her face every time she turned. What is she going to do with it? I hope she looks to Princess Mary to see how she styles her hair LOL

I have a feeling she'll wear a "half do". The top part will be pulled back like in pony tail and the rest will hang down her neck.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

There has been so much debate over whether she is going to be known Catherine or Kate but what i found interesting during the engagement interview is that William continually referred to her as Kate

Old 11-17-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaJa View Post
She wears the ring royal blue,
symbolic of a tragic past,
but also a sign of hope anew,
that oh the Di is not cast!

Excuse the Pun
Old 11-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I heard a date of June 27. Was this confirmed? I would think that is too close to the Monagasques date.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I heard a date of June 27. Was this confirmed? I would think that is too close to the Monagasques date.
With all due respect to Monaco, it doesn't matter if June 27th is close to the wedding date of Charlene and Albert or not. What matters is that June 27th works for the Queen, the BRF and the government. Trust me when I say, the Queen is not thinking about Albert.

Also, remember Frederik and Mary were married one week, Felipe and Letizia were married the next week and Noor and Hamzah of Jordan a week later. So it could happen.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:27 PM

Yeah, the Queen will probably send Prince Andrew to the Monaco wedding, right?

The Grimaldi wedding might be more "important" for the sense that Albert is head of state, but in terms of media attention, there isn't a question in my mind which wedding will be "more important". The world media will mention Albert's wedding, but they will obsess over William's wedding. Even though he's only the heir of the heir, it doesn't matter. In the popular media, William might as well be king already.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Courtier

I am wondering why there haven't been any engagement family photos released? I mean why not a photo with the happy couple and their parents and siblings? Indeed it looked like as if Charles and Camilla even had other duties to fullfill. On such a special day, shouldn't the parents and the brother be with William and Kate?
Old 11-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Nobility

Congratulations! I'm so gladd for them...
Old 11-17-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
I am wondering why there haven't been any engagement family photos released? I mean why not a photo with the happy couple and their parents and siblings? Indeed it looked like as if Charles and Camilla even had other duties to fullfill. On such a special day, shouldn't the parents and the brother be with William and Kate?
That was a bit remarkable indeed but I thought back then in 1981 also the Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer did not pose with the respective parents and siblings?

Henri
Old 11-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Yeah, the Queen will probably send Prince Andrew to the Monaco wedding, right?
With his date, Ivanna Trump. . . .

Old 11-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
Indeed it looked like as if Charles and Camilla even had other duties to fullfill. On such a special day, shouldn't the parents and the brother be with William and Kate?
They didn't know about the engagement until Monday, and their diaries are set well in advance, so unless they wanted to cancel on people who had been looking forward to their visit, they had to continue with their normal routines.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:38 PM

They don't do "the family thing" in connection with engagements.

I thought Kate's hair was beautiful. I really envy her that head of hair. Not damaged at all as far as I could see. i also thought she managed very well during the interview. She showed some insecurity a couple of times (akward questions) but all in all she answered well and sounded like a person who knew what kind of life she was entering into.

They suit eachother so well and look so happy and at ease with eachother and the situation.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M View Post
That was a bit remarkable indeed but I thought back then in 1981 also the Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer did not pose with the respective parents and siblings?

Henri
And also not in 1986 for the engagement of Andrew and Sarah. I think it's simply not a tradition in the british Royal Family.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I think the interview was just the way they are - bland and boring but I think they are truly happy. Even though Kate was quite nervous and couldnt do a proper sentence I give her kudos for being authentic, unlike other tacky royal brides who did some bossy talking on engagement day or presented themselves like just coming out of a how-to-deal-with-the-media training. I hope she is allowed to stay herself and I wish them well.

They now have to make the most of the momentum, use the interest and excitement their decision has created to best ability, keep it alive until next summer and beyond. If they do so, there is a good chance especially for Kate that people will warm up quickly. If they dont and go back to Wales to live a quiet life without a proper how-to-involve-Kate-stragety it can quickly backfire, and once the whole "Diana's son is getting married" sugar has gone being out there in the public can be a lonely and unpleasant place if people are disappointed.
If they come across as bland and boring, then here's hoping that the paparazzi gets bored and leaves them alone! I think William has learned something from his mother's dealings with the press. While Diana was able to use the media to her advantage at times, their overwhelming need for new material indirectly led to her death.

Anyway, I thought the interview went well in that there was nothing shocking or scandalous revealed, nothing that would come back to haunt them like Charles's thoughts on love.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Administrator

I agree Thena!

People dont seem to know what they want...they don't want a boring William and Kate but they realize that Charles and Diana saga is not healthy and good for the monarchy. What is a happy medium...Edward and Sophie? They are considered boring too!

I think people are going to see what they wanted in that interview. There were people reporting that they didn't feel love between the two. Well, if you can feel love, and companionship on your television...please let me know what kind of tely you have...so I can get one.

It was a basic interview just Wililam and Kate telling a little bit about them. I think it did answer a few questions about Kate. She appeared to be a nice girl. Of course, I don't know her personally...but I didn't get a bad vibe from her.