The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Can't people just be happy for the two of them? You don't know them, they don't know you, they aren't friends or members of your family.
Sis, you can't be sure who's who in the forums...

Old 11-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Gentry

And there are going to be some people who find fault with everything with the engagement, ring, dress, location, etc. for this wedding. But as long as we all respect each other's opinions and don't take it too personally, we should make it through okay.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I doubt very much that there would have been any resistance to a new ring. IMO, an engagement ring should never be recycled.
I wonder if she's going to have to wear Diana's wedding ring, too. That engagement ring should have been recycled into a brooch or necklace or tiara or SOMETHING else.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I wonder if she's going to have to wear Diana's wedding ring, too. That engagement ring should have been recycled into a brooch or necklace or tiara or SOMETHING else.
Whole heartedly agree.
Wasn't Diana buried with the wedding ring though?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Not sure why this bothers you so much. It was William's ring to choose what HE wanted to do with it, and he chose to give it to the woman he loves and wants to marry. Why should it have been recycled? It's a piece of history and very sentimental to William as is.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Not sure why this bothers you so much. It was William's ring to choose what HE wanted to do with it, and he chose to give it to the woman he loves and wants to marry. Why should it have been recycled? It's a piece of history and very sentimental to William as is.
I recognize all you're saying, but I have my opinion as well. EVERYTHING is a piece of history; William should have sold that ring to pay for the wedding.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaristocratx View Post
unfortunately the interview was as bland as I expected. I hope they are happy.
I think the interview was just the way they are - bland and boring but I think they are truly happy. Even though Kate was quite nervous and couldnt do a proper sentence I give her kudos for being authentic, unlike other tacky royal brides who did some bossy talking on engagement day or presented themselves like just coming out of a how-to-deal-with-the-media training. I hope she is allowed to stay herself and I wish them well.

They now have to make the most of the momentum, use the interest and excitement their decision has created to best ability, keep it alive until next summer and beyond. If they do so, there is a good chance especially for Kate that people will warm up quickly. If they dont and go back to Wales to live a quiet life without a proper how-to-involve-Kate-stragety it can quickly backfire, and once the whole "Diana's son is getting married" sugar has gone being out there in the public can be a lonely and unpleasant place if people are disappointed.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsgoddess View Post
And there are going to be some people who find fault with everything with the engagement, ring, dress, location, etc. for this wedding. But as long as we all respect each other's opinions and don't take it too personally, we should make it through okay.
I for one agree with you entirely - well said! This engagement should be seen as being a happy and positive occassion - at least for William and Kate it is a happy and positive occassion! Using Diana's engagement ring in such a positive and nice way is surely a good thing!

We've got months to go yet before the wedding so I do hope we all make it through okay too!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Irrelevant, but "wicked" quite often and especially in this case means awesome, amazing, wonderful, out of this world cool. In that case, Camilla is pretty wicked. As well as W&C's engagement.
I agree...I'm not denying that she used wicked with the best of intentions, but there are other adjectives out there. Wicked is usually not the first thing that comes to mind when congratulating a couples engagement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I thought it might be the other way around. Anywyas, pre-nups are not enforceable in English law.
Pre-nups aren't enforceable?
So that means Kate will be screwed if William ever leaves her?? (God forbid)

Quote:
Perhaps when you made your comment, you were unaware that:

a) "wicked" is commonly used in the UK to mean wonderful or great
b) Camilla had just come out of a performance of the musical, "Wicked", and hence, she used the term.
Are you suggesting that just because she worked for her family business, it could not be enriching?
Well said.
Exactly my reaction.
Wicked is used in the the US the same way, like I said above, there are other adjectives. Maybe that's how it's done in the UK, but in the US one does not use "wicked" when congratulating a engaged couple. It's just a bit weird to me.

Quote:
I recognize all you're saying, but I have my opinion as well. EVERYTHING is a piece of history; William should have sold that ring to pay for the wedding.
I love when people express their opinions....but could you imagine Will selling his late mothers ring!!! That would be unthinkable. I think the taxpayers should pay for half because they will need security, etc.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The word may have come easily to mind, seeing as she had just seen the musical Wicked.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Lovely idea for William and Catherine's son to pass the engagement ring on to his fiance, but it would require that at the time of the engagement, either:

a) Catherine was dead; or
b) Catherine was no longer married to William!
Not really I guess, she could still be alive and married and pass it to her son to propose, like Sonja gave her engagement ring to Haakon , and she is still alive and married right ? (BTW I hope that Harald bought her another ring to compensate for that loss )
Old 11-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Courtier

Amazon.com: William & Kate: Celebrating a Royal Romance (9781862058439): Robin Nunn: Books: Reviews, Prices & more

NEW Robin NUNN Book
Picture on cover is now different ... Pub 2011
Old 11-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Courtier

I'm really looking forward to the wedding of this handsome couple. I could be dead wrong, but it seems like they really have their heads screwed on straight, especially considering the circumstances.

I'm checking my airline points and my club accommodations for next year!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Courtier

Hits from Royal Reporter who interviewed them yesterday that they are also looking at MARCH 2011.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflower View Post
Not really I guess, she could still be alive and married and pass it to her son to propose, like Sonja gave her engagement ring to Haakon , and she is still alive and married right ? (BTW I hope that Harald bought her another ring to compensate for that loss )
Its not common in the UK for a married woman to part with her engagement ring whilst still married.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflower View Post
If they have a son(s) he may want to get his own ring. Godforbid their marriage does not last but would someone really want to use a engagement ring of their mother and grandmother in a case where both marriages failed? I hope they remain together until one of them passes but in this life the only only guarantee in life is that you will die.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Aristocracy

Engagement Ring? What's important is what the Ring means and symbolizes to Prince William.

"Well as you may recognize now, it's my mother's engagement ring and it's very special to me, as Kate is very special to me now as well. It was only right the two were put together," William said. "It was my way of making sure mother didn't miss out on today and the excitement and the fact that we're going to spend the rest of our lives together."
Old 11-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Commoner

I notice that Kate isn't photogenic at all but was ravishing in the videos. I wish all that beauty came across better in photos as that is how most will view her here on out.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Administrator

I thoughts she looked very pretty in the photos and the video. She seemed very nervous in the interview. I do wish she cut or trim her hair. Her hair looks a little damaged.

Can't wait to see how she does it for the wedding.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Rings are often passed down in families in lieu of spending money to buy a new one. Same goes for any piece of jewelry, really. Also, it's William's ring, not his mother's. It's his to do with what he wants, and he wanted to give it to Catherine as an engagement ring. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Nothing.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "