Engagement of Prince William to Catherine Middleton: November 16, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We might be, but do you think William would use the "my grandparents got married here", to overrule the fact that his mother had her funeral there, and that is where his parents got married.

I find St.Pauls Cathedral 15.000 times more beautiful than Westminster Abbey. I understand the history and all, but really, I would choose St.Pauls!!!!

St Paul's Cathedral's two most recent royal weddings took place in 1501 and 1981. And neither neither marriage has gone down in history has Royalty at its finest. Better bet to stick with Westminster where virtually *everything* royal in London happens (and that includes funerals amongst other things.)

^Well, let's be fair. The first example: the marriage didn't fail but Prince Arthur died. Not exactly his fault. It just happened.

Which is why I didn't say that. Through no fault of the groom, it did however set the scene for a series of royal history's more notable train wrecks.

And why not St. George's Chapel in Windsor, when two last Royal Wedding took place (Edward's & Peter's) and when Charles & Camilla's marriage was blessed?

And the Queen & Duke of Edinburgh's marriage wasn't ideal; he had a few romances,don't forget.

The announcement specified London. Windsor's 20 odd miles away.

just for my information, has their EVER been a man in line to the British throne who has had a completely affair free marriage?

just for my information, has their EVER been a man in line to the British throne who has had a completely affair free marriage?

There are many since you specify 'in line to the throne' and that's a long list past and present!!!

But I'll restrict myself to 2 former kings and the 20 century, King George V and George VI.

all right then, only crownprinces/ kings etc.

^ i found it intresting that they were never asked if they were in love , and they didnt insert that in the conversation themselves...they could have said "oh we're so happy, so in love":) i thought since diana and charles had been asked, they would be too, just for the fun of it!

During the photocall at St James Palace, one reporter began her question: "It is clear that you both know what love means, can you tell us........." - I don't recall the rest of the question, but it was obviously a cheeky reference to a past phrase used by Charles!

There are many since you specify 'in line to the throne' and that's a long list past and present!!!

But I'll restrict myself to 2 former kings and the 20 century, King George V and George VI.

Yes both men was pretty much smitten with their wives. Even though George V 's marriage to Mary of Teck was a semi-arranged (she was engaged to his brother, but when she died, apparently they bonded during the mourning time) she never took a mistress and it was quite acceptable for a man in his postion to have a mistress.

It feels like a balloon inside of me that is still intact - I am still very happy for them.

Last edited:
Can we enjoy the engagement before we start worrying about issues in the marriage?

Can we enjoy the engagement before we start worrying about issues in the marriage?

My thoughts exactly, I find the psychology that some posters throw around about his supposed issues quite inappropriate.

And why not St. George's Chapel in Windsor, when two last Royal Wedding took place (Edward's & Peter's) and when Charles & Camilla's marriage was blessed?

And the Queen & Duke of Edinburgh's marriage wasn't ideal; he had a few romances,don't forget.

You have proof that the Duke cheated have you because every time I have heard of it every person involved has denied it - in other words there are rumours but no proof.

By the way just because one partner cheats doesn't mean that the marriage isn't a success as many people are able to forgive.

I don't think Philip ever actually strayed. Sure he had lady friends but I do think he has remained faithful and you just have to see the way she looks at him and he at her to see what love there is between them. It reminds me of the love I always saw between my parents. One of my mother's closest friends used to say she could always tell when my father entered my mother's line of sight even if she had her back to him as my mother's face just lit up. I see that same look with the Queen.

I would not hope for the Windsor Solution.... it is some miles away -- in the outskirts -- of London, and it automatically means "small wedding" (which I do not hope of course)....

This surely was the right place for Edward (who was not planned to become king) as well as for the second wedding (blessing) of the PoW, and lesser "important" Royals (sorry, Peter) but: this should not be an option for the No 2 in line of the throne and his first grand wedding....

Btw, if you follow the worldwide reaction of the announcement, this DEMANDS for a grand wedding

BYe Bine

This talk of not wanting to hold a marriage where a family member's funeral was held is odd to me. I think many of us have a church we belong to or attend regularly, perhaps where many family members were married and many family funerals were held. The thing is, the church is a comforting, special haven for us - whether we are celebrating the start of a new life together or the end of the life of someone we love. I know I wouldn't hesitate to marry in the church where my grandparents' funerals were held (I am fortunate that my parents are both still here).

I do understand that Diana's funeral was on a much grander scale, but still - I don't think it mars the church from future celebrations.

This talk of not wanting to hold a marriage where a family member's funeral was held is odd to me. I think many of us have a church we belong to or attend regularly, perhaps where many family members were married and many family funerals were held. The thing is, the church is a comforting, special haven for us - whether we are celebrating the start of a new life together or the end of the life of someone we love. I know I wouldn't hesitate to marry in the church where my grandparents' funerals were held (I am fortunate that my parents are both still here).

I do understand that Diana's funeral was on a much grander scale, but still - I don't think it mars the church from future celebrations.
I couldn´t agree more :flowers:

Ah, sorry, regarding the cheating rumors of Prince Philipp, yes, everybody is right who sais, just rumors, nobody surely was witness from us.

Nevertheless there were many rumors spreading around incl. a liaison with Duchess Alexandra of Kent, which seemed to last many years, very much to the Queen´s sadness..... but as everybody mentionned, rumors, rumors, rumors....
Bye Bine

Why - the armchair psychology is a fun part of it - why did he chose her or her him is a valid discussion point.

Is it love or fear?

Having experienced the disaster of his parents' marriage is he afraid to let her go or does he really love her? Does he even know what love is (as his father famously said in 1981).

I found that aspect of things far more interesting than endless discussion of a possible dress to be worn or a tiara that she might be given.

If you don't wish to participate that is your right but if I wish to get involved in a discussion on armchair psychology and others wish to join me why shouldn't we?

LOL, okay. How many people in the world come from divorced parents? I have and most of my friends have. I KNOW what it does to families since I lived it. William knows because HE lived it. It can't help shape the way you think about relationships and make you think about what you do and don't want. That is a GOOD thing, and it's healthy. Coming from a stable family environment doesn't guaranty stability in your own relationships and family and it doesn't mean that those that are not raised in that environment can't have that stability.

Kate comes from a stable loving family and seems very grounded. William comes from dysfunction but also from two parents that loved him and tried to give him a sense of normalcy despite the dysfunction of their marriage and their very public divorce. Of course he doesn't want to repeat his parents mistakes, but then he isn't choosing a woman he barely knows in order to produce an heir.

He is marrying for love...not duty. You only have to see them together and see how they look at each other and speak of each other to know that.

Let's put the armchair psychology to rest. William loves Kate and has found in her what we all search for, but rarely find in one person. Love, passion, friendship, loyalty and trust. Charles found it in Camilla. William found it with Kate. The difference is that William is marrying that person first..... rather than marrying that person at last.

It's as simple as that.

Perfectly stated. :flowers:

I don't know if it is already posted ..

Prince William proposed to future Kate Middleton as they stayed in hut | The Sun |News

also first time to see kate's hand writting noted Catherine ...

Thanks for posting this. I like the simplicity of life William and Catherine seem to be able to enjoy (living in a village in the Alps myself, still thinking simple huts are romantic....). She has proven over the years that she is not one to complain - good for an army wife. And I read that both of them already enjoyed being just the two of them in front of a fire when they were a young couple at university. So I doubt this girl will ever feel bored by her prince on active army duty like Fergie was.

I bet they joked when they signed the guestbook that this is probably the last time that Catherine is signing this book with a last name. I guess when they return she'll do the Royal "first name-only" signature.... And back then it was a joke only they could share. Wonder why the sun did not come up with such a story. Like: "

The insider: "They chuckled and hugged each other after signing. Back then, I wondered what made them laugh. But now I know: it was the last time Catherine signed with her last name.... " And then follows the explanation why William signed only as William and what Royals do and a pic of Diana's signature and nada nada nada....

No, apparently we can't. Since William chose to give Kate HIS ring (that had once belonged to his mother) and since they more than likely will get married at Westminster (which is Windsor central, BRF-wise), it obviously means William is looking for his mother to come back to life and before we know it, she'll have changed her name and dyed her hair.

This is all so dreadfully embarrassing.

I'm pretty sure the last time she'll sign as a Middleton will be the church registry.

I'm pretty sure the last time she'll sign as a Middleton will be the church registry.

I meant a signature in this guestbook. The article said that they consider it as a place for some days of their honeymoon. And then she will sign only as "Catherine".

No, apparently we can't. Since William chose to give Kate HIS ring (that had once belonged to his mother) and since they more than likely will get married at Westminster (which is Windsor central, BRF-wise), it obviously means William is looking for his mother to come back to life and before we know it, she'll have changed her name and dyed her hair.

LMAO! :lol:

:lol: I read an article that says Kate is now just like William's former nanny Tiggy :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom