The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 PM

Where William proposed (forgive me if this has already been posted)

Proposal by mountain's secluded lake

Old 11-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Courtier

Well, congratulations to the happy couple! I wish them a happy future together. I'm not fond of Kate, but I'm open to see how she evolves in her new role. She's probably a lovely young woman, but I'm a little disappointed that even in these modern times that Kate had to wait for prince (charming) to put a ring on her finger. Nothing wrong with making a choice to be with her man, but I wished she could have had an enriching work experience and show some independence in those however many years, but alas. Congrats to them again!

Old 11-16-2010, 09:45 PM

I am surprised they are finally engaged. I wish them both well and hope they will be happy. I loved Kate's dress, it was so classic.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Serene Highness

My opinion of her did improve after the interview. She seems sweet and honest. And William as always was so cute, he couldn't stop grinning. I have a real fondness for the history of the BRF and I hope that these two will keep the traditions and legacies alive for us.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Nobility

I have always thought Kate was a good choice for William - able to bring him into more contact with 'real people'. (Going to Eton is not really the best way to understand your future subjects!!).

She was obviously inhibited in her first interview - not wanting to say something that the media could twist. You could see her weighing up every word, and trying to say appropriate but bland things. I thought William might have helped her out a bit more, perhaps.

I was surprised that she did not actually meet the Queen until Peter and Autumn's wedding. Oh, a person queried on an earlier posting whether William would have needed the Queen's and/or the Government's approval. If the marriage is to be considered dynastic, I believe the Queen has to give her approval. I think this goes back some 200 years, when a lot of princes were running off and marrying 'unsuitable' women!

Anyway, I wish them every happiness for the future. I hope Kate finds her own way of doing things - and that the media stop trying to turn he into Diana.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Courtier

I think it is great to have the ring that was Diana's. It means that he really loves her so much...she looks amazing.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Commoner

Congratulations to William and Kate. I think they make a lovely couple and over the years Kate has more than proven that she has what it takes to be William's wife. And William couldn't have done more to show his love and respect for Kate (and his mother) than by giving her Diana's engagement ring. What a loud and clear statement!

I only wish Diana was here to cheer them on and give Kate a guiding hand.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Courtier

I'm with the majority: I think that Catherine looked wonderful and seemed very relaxed and happy, smiling throughout. For her first encounter with the press she did remarkably well. I thought her dress just gorgeous and eminently suitable for the occasion. (It will certainly put her London-based, Brazilian designer on the map.) As for the ring - many families hand down engagement rings. To me, it's a warm and respectful gesture, and I'm confident that Catherine wouldn't be wearing it unless she chose to do so.

To say that Catherine looked like Diana after Charles said 'whatever in love means', unenthusiastic and unhappy, is a misinterpretation, in my opinion. Much nonsense has been made of the Prince's words: however, they were said with a wide smile on his part and the response was a smile and a giggle on hers. Check the tape - it's on YOU TUBE. In my view, they were merely a little embarrassed by such a corny question.

The spirit of the day is one of congratulations and goodwill towards Prince William and Catherine. I can't see that it's appropriate to try to put a damp squib on this happy occasion by ascribing fanciful and imagined responses to an obviously delighted and contented couple. Catherine has been afforded ample time to decide whether she can accept the prince and his way of life and all that that entails, and he, with what one presumes is the pick of many of the young women of the world, has decided that she's the one who suits him, admirably. That's all which we have any right to know. Needless and incorrect speculation is unnecessary.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Commoner

I just rewatched the interview and I think that when asked about their split, William said something along the lines of, "don't believe everything you read in the press" then proceeded to say they split while at university? Did I mis-hear that? Perhaps their 2007 split was just to give them privacy.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I think they are relieved to finally be able to say that they are getting married and end all the speculations.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Finally!!! I can't believe they will be marrying quite soon! Hip, hip hourray!!!

Vanesa.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post

Camilla needs to call herself wicked for all the things she's done.
I think it's rude and uncool to say that...even if she means it with the best of intentions.

Irrelevant, but "wicked" quite often and especially in this case means awesome, amazing, wonderful, out of this world cool. In that case, Camilla is pretty wicked. As well as W&C's engagement.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Here's an article on William & Kate's engagement and social media (via mashable):

Prince William & Kate Middleton's Engagement: The Social Web Reacts

Another article from PRNewswer

The Royals Manage Their Big Engagement News - PRNewser

I apologize if these have been posted already.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephpaige View Post
I just rewatched the interview and I think that when asked about their split, William said something along the lines of, "don't believe everything you read in the press" then proceeded to say they split while at university? Did I mis-hear that? Perhaps their 2007 split was just to give them privacy.
No, you heard right. The 2007 split was non-existent based on William's own remarks. The media keeps saying 2007 but that does not mesh with "at University." That said, I suppose it doesn't matter too much now exactly when the break-up happened.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

The Ring’s the Thing
Article

and a nice picture gallery on people.com
Old 11-17-2010, 12:34 AM
Courtier

Congratulations Prince William and Kate Middleton!!!!!!!. 2 Royal weddings next year!!!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:42 AM

So happy for a british royal wedding. Haven't watched the interview in its entirety yet, but at the press conference Kate seems really nervous and kept repeating "sort of" over and over. OK I will give her a break this time, but she should take some public speaking or be prepped ahead of time with some well articulated go to answers.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:23 AM
Heir Apparent

The Prince of Wales didn't seem terribly upbeat yesterday. Infact, he seemed rather annoyed by the interest that was shown, especially when asked about the engagement by media.

I found his attitude rather perculiar, myself. I mean, for goodness sake man, crack a smile and express your happiness in some small way that doesn't indulge your ability to become standoffish from time to time. Who wouldn't like to see a proud father and prospective father in-law express his supposed delight on such on occasion as this? Instead, he seemed rather put out by it all imo.

The Countess of Wessex spoke very warmly and you could tell she spoke with much sincerity. It was lovely.

Quote:
OK I will give her a break this time
Oh, how considerate of you...lol.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-17-2010, 01:32 AM

Ring etc. and what Charles said

Why does everyone get it wrong ? Charles said "whatever in love means" !!!

For some reason this is always misquoted.

As for the ring : wrong in every way. Tempting fate.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Tempting fate? Perhaps for those who are of a supersticious mind...

It's a ring and rings are meant to be worn. Why keep hidden a beautiful piece of of jewellery that deserves to be worn and seen? That would be a great shame.

I think it a lovely gesture, though expected.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent