Engagement of Prince William to Catherine Middleton: November 16, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And also not in 1986 for the engagement of Andrew and Sarah. I think it's simply not a tradition in the british Royal Family.

They did have an official engagement photo, or at least a posed one with the ring clearly visible.

I notice that Kate isn't photogenic at all but was ravishing in the videos. I wish all that beauty came across better in photos as that is how most will view her here on out.

I agree. She looks much better moving than static. She has great bone structure. She'll look great in substantial jewellery; she has a neck like Queen Alexandra.

i was very impressed with their interview. I thought they looked happy, intelligent and considered the questions carefully. They seem to be a very private couple who are obliged to share some of their life with the public, and i believe they will do that to the best of their ability. The Queen is also reserved, and she's been (and is still being) a great Queen. Kate has been supremely loyal to William over all these years and i think that's a huge asset.

And i don't think her dress was too low at all. Nothing showed; i think it was quite classy.

The couple looks very happy to me. If only Charlene looked as happy...

And also not in 1986 for the engagement of Andrew and Sarah. I think it's simply not a tradition in the british Royal Family.

That is sad, I would have loved to see the whole family together on a photo.

They did have an official engagement photo, or at least a posed one with the ring clearly visible.

But also with their parents or other Family members?

But also with their parents or other Family members?

Not as far as I know - but I am still waiting for the first official posed picture of William and Kate/Catherine.
I guess it will occur at a later date.

The picture of the families with the engaged couple is definitely not a recent British tradition.

I expect, though since the economy is different and the couple is trying to have a low key engagement, we might see some official photos in a couple of months. I remember Diana and Charles doing that...but it was definitely after the engagement. Same thing with Andrew and Sarah. I don't remember that with Edward and Sophie.

I was gone for most of yesterday and of all the days to have to be away from the house!! Didn't get home until late last night, so only now joining the thread.

This made my day yesterday and kept a smile on my face during the waiting in Doctor's Offices for two appointments. So very happy for the both of them.

Congratulations and all the Best of Luck to William and Kate!!!

I think Catherine is very photogenic. Nice jawline, pretty shiny hair, slim figure, etc. etc. I've never seen her in person to compare her to her photos.

^ She is very pretty. It'd be interesting to see her in a nice updo since she always wears her hair down.

I agree. She looks much better moving than static. She has great bone structure. She'll look great in substantial jewellery; she has a neck like Queen Alexandra.

i was very impressed with their interview. I thought they looked happy, intelligent and considered the questions carefully. They seem to be a very private couple who are obliged to share some of their life with the public, and i believe they will do that to the best of their ability. The Queen is also reserved, and she's been (and is still being) a great Queen. Kate has been supremely loyal to William over all these years and i think that's a huge asset.

And i don't think her dress was too low at all. Nothing showed; i think it was quite classy.

The couple looks very happy to me. If only Charlene looked as happy...

She looked beautiful and quite classy. Two thumbs up! :clap:

Catherine is intelligent, DISCREET, lovely, and imbued with good taste. It would have been hard for William to do better. And they seem to be smitten with each other, even after all these years. I raise a glass to them and pray for their health and happiness. And for the health and strength of the British Monarchy!

I'd like to think positively. I am certain that the engagement ring will become a treasured family heirloom and one day William and Catherine's son will be able to give it to his fiancee. :wub:

The perfect plan and highly romantic.:flowers:

She was PERFECT... dress, shoes, hair and attitude.... nobody can do better than that !

I don't see anything wrong in him giving her his mother's ring. People aren't up in arms about tiaras passing down, and they've become part of british tradition and history.

Here are my views about the ring...While for William it is filled with the positive aspects of his mother, as an outsider, I just look at it as a symbol of negative feelings and pain associated with Diana...

The story goes, that Charles presented Diana with a tray of engagement rings and Diana chose the largest one...first tick against with greed, ambition, revenge (she already knew of Camilla so maybe she did this to make Charles 'pay')...then followed by a sham marriage filled with pain, lies, deceit, which the ring is supposed to symbolise, then Diana's untimely death...although she had stopped wearing the ring at that time, it still conjures up pictures of lost opportunities and was grabbing the biggest rock really worth it in the end? And does it bode well for William and Kate's marital success?

Maybe I am just bummed about it because it is not a NEW ring uniquely made by William for Kate...it is a old ring, seen before with a tragic story behind it and lots of maybe unresolved issues associated with it from the giver (William) and a lot of pressure on Kate to live up to those standards of the previous wearer...It's complicated to say the least!

I'll get used to it but I just wished it had been 'gifted' at some other time to come down the track, like first anniversary, first child or William's coronation (it's possible)...not the start of a marriage with so many negative associations with the last marriage it was used for...

In regards to Diana, let's cool down with the trip down memory lane of the Charles and Diana marriage. This thread isn't about them.

For whatever reason, and with the facts that William is certainly privy to that WE don't know....he choose to give Catherine his mother's ring. Its done.

I read that the fact that she chose the largest one is plain gossip... She wanted a sapphire and she liked that ring... Also the tray of rings wasn't presented by Charles himself but by the court jeweler.

He loves his mother.

It was HIS mother's ring.

He has given the ring to the woman HE loves and whom HE believes will be the mother of HIS children.

Look at it from his view.

AGRBear

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about the ring, but it is now Kate's engagement ring, and there is a real possibility that when we look at that ring we won't associate it with tragedy. These two have several things going for them that William's parents didn't have. They love each other. There is no "whatever being in love means." Kate is older and seems to have a good head on her shoulders. I wish them all the happiness in the world and have a feeling they will have a wonderful life together.

I think that it's a wonderful gesture that Kate's wearing Diana's ring, especially for the reason that William gave it to her. I like to think of it as Diana's blessing on the marriage, even though I know that she has nothing to do with her ring now. I somehow doubt that William believes in "curses" anyway.
As for arguments about the ring being cursed.... do you really think William would give his future bride something he thought was bad luck? I think it's more a message of how much he really trusts Kate, and how much he wants his mother's memory to be a part of his life.
Marriage is a very serious step to take. Andrew and Sarah were laughing and giggling during their interview. Charles was serious and Diana was coy. Edward and Sophie were fairly serious. I take it as a good sign that they weren't jumping out of their skins with elation. It's a sign of maturity.
Wow. What a strange interview. They both didn't look very happy--especially Kate. She barely smiled or talked. It looked like they were doing a special about helping children with aids...
Yes, and she's shown by now that she won't be a media toy!:flowers:
At least she will now have a PPO and the palace to help her out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Only two days ago Kate was considered "boring" and "average" looking. Now she's suddenly "Perfect" and "Beautiful".

How quickly people change their minds....

Kate - Catherine is a Very Royal Name

:flowers:Catherine is a very Royal name, there were many Queen Catherine also Czarrina Catherine of Russia (Catherine the Great) A German Born Princess who ascended the throne of Russia.

He loves his mother.

It was HIS mother's ring.

He has given the ring to the woman HE loves and whom HE believes will be the mother of HIS children.

Look at it from his view.

Absolutely. Besides, once Diana died and William took possession of the ring, it became HIS ring. His ring to do with whatever he wanted. Make it a pendant for a necklace, make it a brooch, put the stones in a new setting, make it earrings.....whatever.

Catherine will be his bride and his Queen. He's giving a part of himself to her as a symbol of his love and fidelity. It's romantic, not cursed.

Congratulations to the happy couple!

As far as the ring goes: It is arguably the most famous engagement ring in the world and obviously means the world to William. I just wonder if Harry would have liked to give the ring to his fiancee?

As for paying for the wedding, this is a future King of England we are talking about. The taxpayer will be on the hook for the cost one way or another..

Last edited by a moderator:
Kate's Engagement Ring

:)The ring, at long last has its true meaning, originally it was given falsely , now it is given with love from the heart. ;)Long live the ring and those who possess it. Let us make a toast and drink to the day. "Three cheers."

Well at the BRF is contributing something and not leaving it all to the taxpayers. And when they say taxpayers is just the ones in England or the entire Commonwealth?

I am sure its just England.

I think the 20 million pounds paid by the taxpayer will be recouped by money that the wedding brings in. Of course, some people won't be satisfied.

I wonder what people would say if they just had a private wedding at Windsor Castle or Buckingham Palace, and didn't do the basics and just issued a photo. What would they complain about then?

Don't get me wrong....these are rough economic times and a lot of people are struggling and doing without. So you don't want to seem foolish and you don't care and are out of touch with the average citizen. But what is the happy medium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom