Engagement of Prince William to Catherine Middleton: November 16, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zara Phillips and Kate Middleton: Spot the one who was born to rule | Mail Online

Some people have nothing better to do than compare a country horsey working girl with a citified desk job girl with regard to the state of their hands - conveniently forgetting that one couple had over a month to prepare while the other had hours.

They must be having a slow news day. I didn't see a problem with Zara's nails. I wouldn't expect her to really have manicured nails especially if she is around horses all day.

Though going through this thread and seeing some of the articles. I think I know one of the reasons they are having a spring wedding. So they don't have to put up with all these types of articles for 6 months.

I like the plates, I don't care for the coin.

Yeah... I noticed the nails too lol. Obviously Kate had time beforehand to get a manicure... Zara did'nt. Ah well. ;)

They must be having a slow news day. I didn't see a problem with Zara's nails. I wouldn't expect her to really have manicured nails especially if she is around horses all day.

It may be a bit off topic but I preferred Zara's pictures to that of William and Kate's. Zara looked happy, relaxed and true to herself; bad nails and all.

It may be a bit off topic but I preferred Zara's pictures to that of William and Kate's. Zara looked happy, relaxed and true to herself; bad nails and all.

Two agreements in a week - something must be in the air.

:previous: I'm with you guys. Kate had time for the ultimate pamper manicure whilst Zara with all that snow etc. (and I suspect a house that is not full of servants) still had to muck out the horses. engagement or not.

That being said, her so-so manicure screamed "me and and a million other women just like me" whereas Kate's just made me a little envious. Not of the manicure so much as the time to squeeze it in. Now that is a big deal. :lol:

I have to say whilst I totally get why Zara would maybe not have the "perfect" manicure etc, if it were me & I knew I'd be showing my hands (& engagement ring) off to anyone, let alone national media, I'd have at least given them a clean & tidy up. Maybe I don't have the full manicure but I certainly wouldn't want pics of my hands where I had mud under my nails. There's a difference between professionally manicured & just simply clean & tidy.

Look Kate is marrying the future king and Zara is marrying just another guy. It is neither good nor bad, it is the way "they" do things. William and Kate do what they are told to do. It is expected.

Look Kate is marrying the future king and Zara is marrying just another guy. It is neither good nor bad, it is the way "they" do things. William and Kate do what they are told to do. It is expected.

What makes you say that? They are not puppets on a string.

The article about Kate and Zara was tacky to say the least. Kate had a manicure and Zara didn't. So what?

I think Kate is a show pony, and time will prove me right. Zara like her mother isn't out to 'show off, or prove herself' and therefore she didn't feel it necessary to have her nails done to make other people happy. Unfortunately I don't like Kate, and I think it's because she just never seemed to work. She isn't realistic. At least even Diana did cleaning for people prior to her marriage.

I think Kate is a show pony, and time will prove me right. Zara like her mother isn't out to 'show off, or prove herself' and therefore she didn't feel it necessary to have her nails done to make other people happy. Unfortunately I don't like Kate, and I think it's because she just never seemed to work. She isn't realistic. At least even Diana did cleaning for people prior to her marriage.

To be fair, Kate had to keep her schedule relatively free so that she had some time to spend with William.
If she'd been all caught up in a career, she would have seen very little of him, considering how heavy his schedule is.
Working in her family business seemed a viable compromise when the criticism started about her not working.

I think Kate is a show pony, and time will prove me right. Zara like her mother isn't out to 'show off, or prove herself' and therefore she didn't feel it necessary to have her nails done to make other people happy.

I didn't know that getting a manicure means that you are a show pony, or only trying to prove something. Isn't it possible that Kate likes having manicured nails?

Look Kate is marrying the future king and Zara is marrying just another guy. It is neither good nor bad, it is the way "they" do things.
Exactly. You can't even compare Zara and Kate's situations.

What an assumptions. How do you know that she isn't realistic? Do you know her? I think the people who still think little of her will be surprised.

On another note, you can't compare Zara and Catherine. I think there was nothing wrong with Zara's nails (what a sad topic to discuss, imo) and to think that Catherine had her nails done to make other people happy sounds utterly ridiculous in my ears.
And why would Catherine be out to 'show off, or prove herself'?

To be fair, Kate had to keep her schedule relatively free so that she had some time to spend with William.
If she'd been all caught up in a career, she would have seen very little of him, considering how heavy his schedule is.
Working in her family business seemed a viable compromise when the criticism started about her not working.

Exactly. Kate wasn't dating just any Royal. The media attention around their relationship would have made it impossible for her to work in a normal job. Working for her family's business afforded her flexibility, privacy and security from gossip and the prying press.

I work hard, and I make time to get manicures regularly, does that make me a show pony?

Unfortunately, because of peoples perception of her over the years and her position, Kate's in for a lot of having to prove herself to people (whether or not I agree is another opinion entirely). Imagine how people would have reacted if her nails had appeared slightly less than perfect. Sadly people would have torn her to shreds.

From my point of view Kate is in a no win situation here. She looks good and takes care of herself and she's a show pony. She goes "au-natural" and she's not trying hard enough and being flippant. What will it take?

Personally I think it best to wait until we actually see something past an engagement photo call to pass judgement of whether she's going to be a hardworking asset to the Royal family.

I work hard, and I make time to get manicures regularly, does that make me a show pony?

Unfortunately, because of peoples perception of her over the years and her position, Kate's in for a lot of having to prove herself to people (whether or not I agree is another opinion entirely). Imagine how people would have reacted if her nails had appeared slightly less than perfect. Sadly people would have torn her to shreds.

From my point of view Kate is in a no win situation here. She looks good and takes care of herself and she's a show pony. She goes "au-natural" and she's not trying hard enough and being flippant. What will it take?

Personally I think it best to wait until we actually see something past an engagement photo call to pass judgement of whether she's going to be a hardworking asset to the Royal family.

You are absolutely right. There is no wininng with some people. Their minds are made up and there is nothing she can do that will ever be good enough. I think she is going to find her niche if people will only give her time and the opportunity to prove herself.

Time will tell whether she will prove worthy or not of her new role and title. Who are we to judge on her future by looking at her present or even past? Until now the impression she gives is that of who lives to please her prince. But to be fair to her she didn't do anything wrong eighter. She has caused no major scandals, was always descreet and seems to have gathered loyal friends and family around her who protect her and she lives the life of a daughter of rich parents - going shopping and partying with friends. She could have worked hard, but she doesn't have to. So it was basically up to her. There is nothing wrong on this though it seems not right either. But this will change from the minute of her wedding. She still will be rich :), but now she has to prove worthy of the title she will get. There will be charity work and lots of other engagements she has to get involved in. More than anyone else in the family William and Kate will be the center of focus as they represent the future of the British monarchy more than Charles and Camilla. I wish her good luck in her soon-to-be new commitments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe all the people who dislike Kate are just jealous that she's with William and they're not. Doesn't all this just smack of schoolyard jealousy and pettiness to you? This really echoes conversations I heard girls in my high school having about some boy who was paying attention to some other girl and not them. "She's too high-maintenance for him, I'm more real and down-to-earth." "I don't get what he sees in her, I mean she doesn't do anything. I bet she doesn't even love him."

Seriously, some of you need to grow up. Really and truly grow up.

I don't get the impression that William and Kate are just "doing what they are told". In fact, the indications are that William is pretty determined to do things his way, no matter what the palace staffers think. He certainly handled the engagement announcement that way (not even calling the Queen and his father until the morning of the announcement, for which the arrangements had clearly already been made), and it seems he's insisting that his Clarence House staff be in charge of the wedding details and not the Queen's people at Buckingham Palace. It may or may not be true that, as some media have reported, the BP staff aren't thrilled about this, but if is, it would appear that Prince William doesn't particularly care.

Maybe all the people who dislike Kate are just jealous that she's with William and they're not. Doesn't all this just smack of schoolyard jealousy and pettiness to you? This really echoes conversations I heard girls in my high school having about some boy who was paying attention to some other girl and not them. "She's too high-maintenance for him, I'm more real and down-to-earth." "I don't get what he sees in her, I mean she doesn't do anything. I bet she doesn't even love him."

Seriously, some of you need to grow up. Really and truly grow up.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes .......... I think that about covers it!!! :lol:

Zara an Kate are like oranges and apples...two diffrent people who will live two very diffrent ways. Zara has never been the type to have her nails done.She is sporty and more earthy. Not that she is not a looker as well.
So Kate had her nails done, big deal.. Her offical pictures will be shown for years..every detail will be looked at time and again.

People who work for family always have to work harder there is more then a pay check involed it is her families life. What makes you think that Kate dont clean her home or do her own things?? we have seen pictures of her at the food store, taking out the trash, and we have heard William say frist hand that she does the cooking.

You don't have to like Kate and realisticly it will never matter! she seems to make William happy and that is all that does matter. These are my opinions may you keep your own..

Last edited:
I think we should listen to everyone's opinion and not brand people who dislike her as being "jealous". A lot of people here may be older / more mature than the school girls described above.
She has proven nothing yet. only time will tell whether she is hardworking or not. Till then , everyone can state why they like/ dislike her.

I don't get the impression that William and Kate are just "doing what they are told". In fact, the indications are that William is pretty determined to do things his way, no matter what the palace staffers think. ...

It would be interesting to know if palace/St James staffers had any input or critique on the commemorative coin before it's release, as it truly is just a horrible rendering of both of them, and Kate in particular. It's simply astounding that in this age of technology, they can produce something that is that bad, and thinking that the public will like it is even more mind numbing. Maybe William really is stubborn, the BRF really is out-of-touch with the populace, or both. :ohmy:

I think we should listen to everyone's opinion and not brand people who dislike her as being "jealous". A lot of people here may be older / more mature than the school girls described above.
She has proven nothing yet. only time will tell whether she is hardworking or not. Till then , everyone can state why they like/ dislike her.

People may or may not have a "good reason" to dislike or like Catherine, it is just attributing something about a person one does not know that is probably not the best thing to do. Why not just say "I don't like her", what is wrong with that? I think sometimes people feel like they have to come up with a "real" not to like someone because they are not comfortable with their feelings. People don't really have to have a reason but they should just own up to that rather than making up something. Sometimes I just look at a person and think I would not like them, :ohmy: not especially nice on my part, but that is the truth of the matter. Let's face it, there are people who would not like ANYONE Prince William chose. ;)

Zara an Kate are like oranges and apples...two diffrent people who will live two very diffrent ways. Zara has never been the type to have her nails done.She is sporty and more earthy. Not that she is not a looker as well.
So Kate had her nails done, big deal.. Her offical pictures will be shown for years..every detail will be looked at time and again.

People who work for family always have to work harder there is more then a pay check involed it is her families life. What makes you think that Kate dont clean her home or do her own things?? we have seen pictures of her at the food store, taking out the trash, and we have heard William say frist had that she does the cooking.

You don't have to like Kate and realisticly it will never matter! she seems to make William happy and that is all that does matter. These are my opinions may you keep your own..

Very well put it!

Remember that when we point one finger at a person, the other four fingers are pointing at ourselves .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom