The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Heir to the heir = William by the way.
I meant the "Greatest Heir" in the sense of eligible bachelor on the marriage market - which is William as Charles is already married.

And I personally doubt that William is ironing the shirts for his formal attire when he has Royal engagements. I don't see Catherine do the ironing either. Surely a valet at Clarence House does it. Or they use a laundry. But it's not so difficult to keep a rented house tidy on your own. It's much more difficult to upkeep an inherited palace full of bric-a-brac. Royal bric-a-brac but dustcatchers none-the-less.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Royal Highness

I think for the next 2 years or so after the wedding we shall actually see them quite infrequently-

Old 12-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
I I love the pictures of them at the food store and taking out the trash....

It is the pictures like that that I find offensive. They should be allowed some privacy and those photos are simply intrusive. After what happened to Diana I simply can't understand anyone making a comment like that.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I think for the next 2 years or so after the wedding we shall actually see them quite infrequently-
I agree and the consequence could very well be a growing anti-Kate, lazy Kate media blitz.

She isn't the most popular royal fiancee and she will need to win over the British public. However, unless she has children, she will be expected to be seen doing something on a regular basis. William has a pass as he is a serving officer but she won't get a pass for long.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I think we should wait and see what will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I agree and the consequence could very well be a growing anti-Kate, lazy Kate media blitz.
Would that then be because she would not be living up to her royal status?

Quote:
She isn't the most popular royal fiancee and she will need to win over the British public. However, unless she has children, she will be expected to be seen doing something on a regular basis. William has a pass as he is a serving officer but she won't get a pass for long.
Who would be the most popular royal fiancée then? I think she should win the British over in her own way but of course, some people won't ever be pleased.
We will see about her not getting a pass for long after the wedding. We don't know what she is going to do.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Would that then be because she would not be living up to her royal status?
Yes - the British people have certain expectations of their royals and Kate is to become one of the most senior ones so she will be expected to pull her weight. If she is seen as not doing so then the public could easily turn against her and that won't be good for the monarchy. It already has an heir to the throne who isn't loved or respected by about 40% of the population and whose spouse is even less loved and respected. The institution can't have the second in line to the throne married to a woman with less than about 80% approval and that from early on.

Quote:
Who would be the most popular royal fiancée then? I think she should win the British over in her own way but of course, some people won't ever be pleased.
Diana

Quote:
We will see about her not getting a pass for long after the wedding. We don't know what she is going to do.
We don't know what she is going to do but if she is going to simply be a housewife and not be seen to be working the pass won't last long.

If she is seen as doing things within the local community and area she will be given time to grow into the role.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Aristocracy

I think we will see as much of William & Kate post-wedding as we do currently of William. Technically not a lot is changing for him in terms of expectations for him to do Royal Duties right now as he will still be in active service with the RAF (til 2013? Have I got that right?) I think he'll do what he currently does, the big events (Trooping the Colour etc), certain events with his current charities/patronages & the other things he does with the FA, one or two "representing the Queen" like he did in Australia earlier this year & I suspect Kate will tag along to those events, not do much solo or anything. Once William is no longer actually working in the RAF, or if circumstances in his position change ie: if Charles becomes King, only then do I see any significant increase in Royal Duties & activities by either of them, maybe a small increase year on year but nothing hugely substancial til he's no longer actively serving with the RAF.

If I were them I'd crack on with having kids whilst William was still stationed in Wales with the RAF as it may give them a little more privacy, stability etc when they perhaps aren't going to be fully laden with Royal Duties & trips abroad & what have you. But that's just my own opinion there.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Courtier

Diana was unprecedented and I don't think anyone should want that kind of popularity. Quite unhealthy, if you ask me.
I do agree with your last part and I don't think she will simply sit at home.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It is the pictures like that that I find offensive. They should be allowed some privacy and those photos are simply intrusive. After what happened to Diana I simply can't understand anyone making a comment like that.

Well, when you put it like that I guess I agree, but with all the harsh and negative comments that some posters have been putting on this forum..I found it odd mine is the one you can't simply understand.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Well, when you put it like that I guess I agree, but with all the harsh and negative comments that some posters have been putting on this forum..I found it odd mine is the one you can't simply understand.

It was your comment about enjoying the photos of them at the shops and putting out the garbage that I couldn't understand.

Posts about people disliking one or both of them or being negative about the future aren't the same.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Diana was unprecedented and I don't think anyone should want that kind of popularity. Quite unhealthy, if you ask me.
I agree that was completely unhealthy but unfortunately for Kate she will always be compared to Diana and thus she will need to prove herself early or else she could harm the monarchy, as Diana did, but for the opposite reasons - she won't be popular enough.

Quote:
I do agree with your last part and I don't think she will simply sit at home.
I hope she doesn't but we will wait and see.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Unfortunately that is an easy one. The ultimate Yes or No question. Should the cameras be allowed to invade their personal life? No! However, the rest is bickering about what Kate should do after the wedding and, unfortunately, the hardliners think she should basically dump the housewife (and husband) bit and chopper up to town to do 4 or 5 Engagements a week!

IMO she should get nothing less than that granted to our Queen. Namely time to settle down and just be a wife. QEII got to be "just" an Officer's wife on Malta for two years. Unfortunately her Father's health was failing and she was The Heir. Disaster notwithstanding, William is not and so he and Kate should have that opportunity to settle down and raise a family.

I am not saying that she will be Lazy Kate but rather like any other young wife who is lucky enough not to need to work nor an up and coming career woman. Somehow I think she will find things to do and places to go and some even be "Royal" as well. They may also just be ordinary.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It was your comment about enjoying the photos of them at the shops and putting out the garbage that I couldn't understand.

Posts about people disliking one or both of them or being negative about the future aren't the same.

All I ment was that she was a normal person...not that I enjoyed her being stalked by the news papers.. peoples post are open to many ways of reading them..take them as you will.. or as you edit them leaving out the first and last line and taking what you want from the middle of my post.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:

OMG. We agree again.

I think Kate also has to prove that she even has a work ethic. There is still questions from some people about her ability to do the job that is expected of her.

As for the children aspect...I think even then she is still expected to work. After all the critics will simply make the point that full-time working mothers do exist. To say nothing of the fact that those mothers struggle to afford daycare while the royals have full-time nannies.

I do think that is the unfortunate thing about her. We can comment on her hair and her clothes but we have seen very little of what she plans on doing. What do you guys think about her future engagements? For example: do you think she will be more of a solo person or do you think she will stick by William?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Please note that all posts relating to Catherine's work history before and after the wedding have been moved here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/duties-and-roles-for-catherine-after-the-wedding-29262-5.html .

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 12-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
All I ment was that she was a normal person...not that I enjoyed her being stalked by the news papers.. peoples post are open to many ways of reading them..take them as you will.. or as you edit them leaving out the first and last line and taking what you want from the middle of my post.

The first and last sentences - about her being normal - weren't sentences which I found offensive. I saw no need to include them in a comment about enjoying seeing photos of them doing the shopping and putting out the garbage.

Saying that you enjoy seeing photos of them doing private things is - it is the very thing that encourages the paparazzi (some of whom may read boards like this and read posts like yours and say - people want to see this so we will take the photos as there is a market for them).

You have already responded to my comment saying that you understand where I am coming from and that is fine.

The fact is of course that they are not normal and wanting to be normal is really silly for people who for no reason other than birth or marriage get all the privileges in the world - no merit in it - just and accident of birth. If they want to be 'normal' then they should leave the whole royal lifestyle and be normal and see how they cope then - no protection officers (that's not normal), no one to arrange their diaries for them. It seems like they want their cake and to eat it too.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
...QEII got to be "just" an Officer's wife on Malta for two years...
The Queen actually didn't live in Malta but visited whenever Philip had shore leave. They would stay at Lord Mountbatten's house on the island during that time. When Philip was at sea she would be in London doing royal duties, and being a young mother as Charles and Anne were left in London when she went to Malta.

People: Queen and Prince Philip prepare for ‘second honeymoon’ in Malta | News | The First Post

Elizabeth II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia says At various times between 1949 and 1951, the Duke of Edinburgh was stationed in Malta (at that time a British Protectorate) as a serving Royal Navy officer. He and Elizabeth lived intermittently, for several months at a time, in the Maltese hamlet of Gwardamanġia, at the Villa Gwardamanġia, the rented home of Philip's uncle, Lord Mountbatten. The children remained in Britain.[48]

Not quite the same thing as living there as a wife and mother but rather an occasional visitor leaving the children at home with the grandparents.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The fact is of course that they are not normal and wanting to be normal is really silly for people who for no reason other than birth or marriage get all the privileges in the world - no merit in it - just and accident of birth. If they want to be 'normal' then they should leave the whole royal lifestyle and be normal and see how they cope then - no protection officers (that's not normal), no one to arrange their diaries for them. It seems like they want their cake and to eat it too.
But that's how William's mother raised him. Her goal was to give her children 'normal' life experiences, make them 'normal' - even after her passing the experiences of William reflected this model, as with his Gap Year activities. It makes sense that William would choose a commoner, a girl from a 'normal' family. It makes sense that he would vision a 'normal' life.

William and Catherine would have to have talked about this a lot between each other and with William's father. I think it would be great for them to be left alone as they proceed with their life as they choose - live abroad even. It would be valuable for William to have a larger experience of the world - that would prepare him for Kingship in the 21st Century! It would be good for the press to limit themselves to the Queen and the Prince of Wales, too IMO. I wonder if that will ever be possible? Or at least really tight constraints - like the Danish monarchy has, I think.

My fear is that we will be obliged to watch the destruction of someone - and I don't want to see that, even in the periphery of my vision.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
...IMO she should get nothing less than that granted to our Queen. Namely time to settle down and just be a wife.
Thank you for this, as you can see by my post count I am new to this forum and I had never been aware that QEII had actually had that time "alone" with her husband. According to some, she should have been back in London doing the rounds but rather was in Malta. That was, IMO, a very fortunate and happy experience for her especially given that the King was in such poor health, and also a rather surprising one. It seems some are not willing to extend the same to the wife of the heir of the heir. I have to be curious as to whether the locals were so very unhappy with the young Princess and heir at that time. I'm thinking probably not, I guess it is just a sign of the time.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Majesty

She didn't actually spend all that much time in Malta - a couple of months each year but she left the children at home - so not a normal family life but rather just extended honeymoon time. Most of those years she was in England doing royal duties. It seems romantic for her but it wasn't her permanent home for those years but rather her holidays were there with her working husband.