The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The royal family were always going to pay for the wedding, so I think this was a moot point.
They aren't paying for the security though and that will run into £millions and the long suffering taxpayer will pick up the bill for that.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemima View Post
They aren't paying for the security though and that will run into £millions and the long suffering taxpayer will pick up the bill for that.
So any suggestions on how not to put the bill on the taxpayer? Maybe the wedding should be private and then the couple and the Palace should just issue a series of wedding pictures to the public? Or how about that all monies from souvenir sales should be used to pay for the security?

Old 11-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monna View Post
I thought right from the beginning that a spring wedding would be great And we don`t have to wait so long. I`m glad that the royal family and the Middletons will pay for the wedding. It might prevent at least a bit malicious comments about wasting taxpayers money.
Security and whatnot will be funded though by the taxpayers.. but lets be real here. Its a good exercise to practice in reality what they are going to have to do a year later with the Olympics and the Queen's Jubilee.
As we know, practice makes perfect.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Isn't it largely notional, though? We are paying for the police and the armed forces already. Maybe it will cost us each a few pennies extra, I can live with that
Old 11-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
So any suggestions on how not to put the bill on the taxpayer? Maybe the wedding should be private and then the couple and the Palace should just issue a series of wedding pictures to the public? Or how about that all monies from souvenir sales should be used to pay for the security?
Great suggestions! Or the royals could foot the bill for security too. Why not? They are cushioned from the harsh economic realities that the public have to suffer, through no fault of our own. And since most people in Britain are struggling to maintain their standard of living these days and fearing job losses and social welfare cutbacks, they are for the most part not actually very interested in this wedding. For the most part it seems like an awful waste of money.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
For the most part it seems like an awful waste of money.
Well, the money doesn't just evaporate ... it gets paid out to other people, so it moves around. There will be plenty of people involved in providing services and they will all benefit.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Great suggestions! Or the royals could foot the bill for security too. Why not? They are cushioned from the harsh economic realities that the public have to suffer, through no fault of our own. And since most people in Britain are struggling to maintain their standard of living these days and fearing job losses and social welfare cutbacks, they are for the most part not actually very interested in this wedding. For the most part it seems like an awful waste of money.
I think some excellent points have already been made. The cost of policing an event like the royal wedding is largely a sunk cost - policemen are already employed, no extra cops are hired for the day. Some may need to be paid some extra allowances, but that is about all.

Lets not forget that it is not the royals who choose to have security - the government determijes the level of security they require, as will the PM and the visiting dignitaries. Alternatively, we could have a private wedding without the PM.

This is exactly the same type of event as Trooping of the Colour, or the State Opening of Parliament, except more of the public are expected to be present - the very people who will be paying for this security.

Sorry Jemima, to me, your argument just does not hold.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
They are cushioned from the harsh economic realities that the public have to suffer, through no fault of our own. And since most people in Britain are struggling to maintain their standard of living these days and fearing job losses and social welfare cutbacks, they are for the most part not actually very interested in this wedding.
You may forget that the Civil List payments have been at the same level since 1990. I don't know many UK households that run on the same amount of money now as they did 20 years ago. Do you?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
A fair few bank holidays in April and May next year: 2 for Easter, 1 for the wedding, 2 of the usual May bank holidays.
This isn't considered a "state" affair, so there may not be an official day off.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Commoner

Quote:
You may forget that the Civil List payments have been at the same level since 1990. I don't know many UK households that run on the same amount of money now as they did 20 years ago. Do you?
Yes I do, Muriel many UK households are being asked to run on the same or less money than they did 20 years ago.

You may forget that Osborne has just agreed to pay £7?BN to help keep the Irish economy afloat. These are hard times for all of us.

Why should it be any different for the Royals? Think about how popular they would be if the Queen agreed to pay the security bill.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Yes I do, Muriel many UK households are being asked to run on the same or less money than they did 20 years ago.

You may forget that Osborne has just agreed to pay £7?BN to help keep the Irish economy afloat. These are hard times for all of us.

Why should it be any different for the Royals? Think about how popular they would be if the Queen agreed to pay the security bill.
There will be thousands of citizens on the streets to view the wedding. Those citizens need to be protected which is what the taxpayers are paying for.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Courtier

So it's set in stone then? I'm going to ask for Friday April 29th off from work and sit in front of the computer and (tv) all day until I look like this !

Old 11-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Here's a question because the last time i was in London it was like 20 years ago?

Do you pay food on tax and hotel fees? The reason that I ask that I would imagine that a lot of people who are not from London will be coming to London to witness this event. They have to eat, sleep and will most likely buy a lot of trinkets. Maybe the money from these expenditures should be earmarked for the wedding security. If that is the case...I think its a wash.

Or William and Catherine can do as I suggested. Have a small wedding that is not open to the public and issue a series of photos. I don't imagine that will go over well either.

I understand your points but really I think the money that the security get for working an extra shift/hours will be spent in the British economy and. If Mike works 8 hours than he might have a little more money to buy things which only helps the economy and those that provide services that Mike needs.

Please understand that I am from the Washington DC area (suburban Maryland) and every four years those on the right and the left complain about the cost of the presidential inaguration. Now the actual cost is paid by big and large sponsors but in the general sense....the DC area is the big winner! Why? Because our hotel rooms are being used, our restuarants are filled, people are going to the tourist attractions in between the swearing ins and the parties, cabs are being used, hair/nail salons, cleaners, etc are being utilized and that in turn is helping our local economy.

I, for one am thinking about how I can get to London. And I will need a hotel to stay and places to eat. So somebody is making some money.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Serene Highness

Too bad the wedding will be on friday!! I'll work:!!

http://princessesblog76.blogspot.fr/
Old 11-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Thankfully monarchy is not about short term ill-judged and populist measures.

I appreciate the hardship that some of my fellow subjects are suffering and that this is a time of national austeity, but I fail to see the argument for the royal family to pay the secutiry bill. What is the relevance of the bail-out of the Irish economy with the security bill for the UK royal wedding?

In terms of "Why should it be any different for the Royals?", HM is not asking for any special subsidy for the wedding. She has not had a pay rise in 20 years, and has managed her budgets astutely.

I hope you do realise that the royal wedding will lead to substantial numbers of tourists visiting the UK and spending their dollars, euros or yen in the UK, all of which will lead to job / wealth creation in the UK.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Aristocracy

Exactly my point, Zonk! It's not as though they are going to make a big pile of money and set fire to it The money it costs will be circulated back into the economy.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Here's a question because the last time i was in London it was like 20 years ago?

Do you pay food on tax and hotel fees? The reason that I ask that I would imagine that a lot of people who are not from London will be coming to London to witness this event. They have to eat, sleep and will most likely buy a lot of trinkets. Maybe the money from these expenditures should be earmarked for the wedding security. If that is the case...I think its a wash.

Or William and Catherine can do as I suggested. Have a small wedding that is not open to the public and issue a series of photos. I don't imagine that will go over well either.

I understand your points but really I think the money that the security get for working an extra shift/hours will be spent in the British economy and. If Mike works 8 hours than he might have a little more money to buy things which only helps the economy and those that provide services that Mike needs.

Please understand that I am from the Washington DC area (suburban Maryland) and every four years those on the right and the left complain about the cost of the presidential inaguration. Now the actual cost is paid by big and large sponsors but in the general sense....the DC area is the big winner! Why? Because our hotel rooms are being used, our restuarants are filled, people are going to the tourist attractions in between the swearing ins and the parties, cabs are being used, hair/nail salons, cleaners, etc are being utilized and that in turn is helping our local economy.

I, for one am thinking about how I can get to London. And I will need a hotel to stay and places to eat. So somebody is making some money.

Quite right, thats just how the wheels of commerce continue to rotate. The economy will benefit from the royal wedding (some recent press comment about a benefit in excess of £600m - use google if you want to find the article) so the "net" effect will be positive for the taxpayer.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

I really don't think we need to worry too much about the cost of security as it is a cost we can easily afford - afterall, a few million pounds these days doesn't go very far in terms of tax spending and the money will be recouped.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Courtier

how much will the Middletons contribute? Surely they cant afford to pay nearly as much as the royals? perhaps they will pay for their guests only?
Old 11-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – Jordan

I like the date, Does anyone know if Catherine will have any event before wedding?