The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Courtier

I don't know if it is already posted ..

Prince William proposed to future Kate Middleton as they stayed in hut | The Sun |News

also first time to see kate's hand writting noted Catherine ...

Old 11-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Serene Highness

Ah, sorry, regarding the cheating rumors of Prince Philipp, yes, everybody is right who sais, just rumors, nobody surely was witness from us.

Nevertheless there were many rumors spreading around incl. a liaison with Duchess Alexandra of Kent, which seemed to last many years, very much to the Queen´s sadness..... but as everybody mentionned, rumors, rumors, rumors....
Bye Bine

Old 11-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Why - the armchair psychology is a fun part of it - why did he chose her or her him is a valid discussion point.

Is it love or fear?

Having experienced the disaster of his parents' marriage is he afraid to let her go or does he really love her? Does he even know what love is (as his father famously said in 1981).

I found that aspect of things far more interesting than endless discussion of a possible dress to be worn or a tiara that she might be given.

If you don't wish to participate that is your right but if I wish to get involved in a discussion on armchair psychology and others wish to join me why shouldn't we?
LOL, okay. How many people in the world come from divorced parents? I have and most of my friends have. I KNOW what it does to families since I lived it. William knows because HE lived it. It can't help shape the way you think about relationships and make you think about what you do and don't want. That is a GOOD thing, and it's healthy. Coming from a stable family environment doesn't guaranty stability in your own relationships and family and it doesn't mean that those that are not raised in that environment can't have that stability.

Kate comes from a stable loving family and seems very grounded. William comes from dysfunction but also from two parents that loved him and tried to give him a sense of normalcy despite the dysfunction of their marriage and their very public divorce. Of course he doesn't want to repeat his parents mistakes, but then he isn't choosing a woman he barely knows in order to produce an heir.

He is marrying for love...not duty. You only have to see them together and see how they look at each other and speak of each other to know that.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Let's put the armchair psychology to rest. William loves Kate and has found in her what we all search for, but rarely find in one person. Love, passion, friendship, loyalty and trust. Charles found it in Camilla. William found it with Kate. The difference is that William is marrying that person first..... rather than marrying that person at last.

It's as simple as that.

Perfectly stated.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla64 View Post
I don't know if it is already posted ..

Prince William proposed to future Kate Middleton as they stayed in hut | The Sun |News

also first time to see kate's hand writting noted Catherine ...
Thanks for posting this. I like the simplicity of life William and Catherine seem to be able to enjoy (living in a village in the Alps myself, still thinking simple huts are romantic....). She has proven over the years that she is not one to complain - good for an army wife. And I read that both of them already enjoyed being just the two of them in front of a fire when they were a young couple at university. So I doubt this girl will ever feel bored by her prince on active army duty like Fergie was.

I bet they joked when they signed the guestbook that this is probably the last time that Catherine is signing this book with a last name. I guess when they return she'll do the Royal "first name-only" signature.... And back then it was a joke only they could share. Wonder why the sun did not come up with such a story. Like: "

The insider: "They chuckled and hugged each other after signing. Back then, I wondered what made them laugh. But now I know: it was the last time Catherine signed with her last name.... " And then follows the explanation why William signed only as William and what Royals do and a pic of Diana's signature and nada nada nada....
Old 11-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Can we enjoy the engagement before we start worrying about issues in the marriage?

No, apparently we can't. Since William chose to give Kate HIS ring (that had once belonged to his mother) and since they more than likely will get married at Westminster (which is Windsor central, BRF-wise), it obviously means William is looking for his mother to come back to life and before we know it, she'll have changed her name and dyed her hair.

This is all so dreadfully embarrassing.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm pretty sure the last time she'll sign as a Middleton will be the church registry.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I'm pretty sure the last time she'll sign as a Middleton will be the church registry.
I meant a signature in this guestbook. The article said that they consider it as a place for some days of their honeymoon. And then she will sign only as "Catherine".
Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
No, apparently we can't. Since William chose to give Kate HIS ring (that had once belonged to his mother) and since they more than likely will get married at Westminster (which is Windsor central, BRF-wise), it obviously means William is looking for his mother to come back to life and before we know it, she'll have changed her name and dyed her hair.

LMAO!
Old 11-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post

I read an article that says Kate is now just like William's former nanny Tiggy
Old 11-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:

William wants a woman who will look after him the way Diana and Tiggy did as he was growing up and Kate has been that woman since he was 20. He has even added to that idea by giving her his mother's engagement ring (will it ever truly be Kate's engagement ring? Not to me or to many others unfortunately for her) so that signals again that he wants a 'mummy' figure as much as a wife.
I couldn't resist smiling and replying to this. As a happily married woman of more than two decades and the mother of sons, this is the normal male condition, in my opinion. I can't imagine why William would necessarily be any different.

The engagement ring's another thing and we'll have to agree to disagree. It's common practice in many families. I think it an endearing gesture.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I couldn't resist smiling and replying to this. As a happily married woman of more than two decades and the mother of sons, this is the normal male condition, in my opinion. I can't imagine why William would necessarily be any different.

The engagement ring's another thing and we'll have to agree to disagree. It's common practice in many families. I think it an endearing gesture.
Hello, Polly! I recall having read a lot of posts by you (when I was not yet a member but a reader) and always enjoyed them as they so much correlated to your avatar!

I'm in with you for that. That's how men prefer their life at home and even though some react strangely though because of reasons of their own (love, anybody?) most men like to have a comfortable life at home. Which doesn't necessary reduce their wives to "doormats" - for there is a certain charm in cuddling as long as you know you will be cuddled yourself, and loved, and treasured and laughed with and delighted once you need your own cuddling.

As for the ring: William surely knew that this ring would turn up in the media - one way or the other. So this is a kind of catastrophy management in my opinion. Plus it allowed him to take control on introducing the Diana spectre into the public attention of this wedding to come.

If I was in his shoes, I would have talked that over with Catherine and asked her to accept that ring like she will have to accept all kinds of jewels with a Royal history attached to it and then given her another one in private. After all he has the right to shower his finacee with gifts and who is to know what's between the two of them?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Why - the armchair psychology is a fun part of it - why did he chose her or her him is a valid discussion point.

Is it love or fear?

Having experienced the disaster of his parents' marriage is he afraid to let her go or does he really love her? Does he even know what love is (as his father famously said in 1981).

I found that aspect of things far more interesting than endless discussion of a possible dress to be worn or a tiara that she might be given.

If you don't wish to participate that is your right but if I wish to get involved in a discussion on armchair psychology and others wish to join me why shouldn't we?
I don't think it's a good idea to dwell on future problems in William and Kate's marriage during their engagement. Sometimes I was skeptical about their relationship, especially because it took them SO LONG to get engaged, but...watching their interview together, I do believe they both genuinely care for each other.

That being said, I like armchair psychology in moderation. Some people like to speculate on Kate's dress and the choice of bridesmaids, other people like to speculate on the reasons William chose Kate as a bride. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's interesting to me to speculate on the reasons why people choose their partners. Wondering about the reasons why William chose Kate (Catherine) doesn't mean I'm assuming he chose her for the wrong reasons--just that I'm curious about what his reasons were.

Also, William does have a traumatic past--his parents divorced, his mother died, and his father remarried his mistress. Now he has chosen to give his bride his mother's engagement ring. The comparison between Kate and Tiggy was (IMHO) another example of Daily Mail nonsense. But I do think that William's past would affect his choices. He met Kate 4 or 5 years after his mother died, so who's to say that his Diana's death didn't affect William subconsciously when he fell for Kate?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:45 PM

The criticisms of Kate/Catherine continue...thought I have to admit, I still wonder if she will have a separate identity now from William's.

Kate Middleton Has No Identity Of Her Own Not Down To Earth Royal Prince William Marriage Engagement Princess Children Wedding

Old 11-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE

The engagement ring's another thing and we'll have to agree to disagree. It's common practice in many families. I think it an endearing gesture.[/QUOTE]

I agree, many of my friends were given their fiancee's grandmother or great-grandmother's ring for their own engagement ring. It will then be passed on down the line. A few times the setting were changed but the stones were there. On their first wedding anniversary, the husband sometimes presents his wife with her own special ring that they both pick out together. A lovely tradition. I wasn't that lucky as neither of us had "family" rings -- but we still pass down grandparents wedding bands and all the other jewelry accumulated through time! I love the stories that goes with all the jewelry -- like "Oh that was a pin that my father's great-grandmother received on her 16 birthday!" Special.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Courtier

^she didn't earlier, and i don't think she will now, but she chose this. it suits her. she must be determined to make this relationship work, and seems to me to be a very willing partner. William would have had a hard time finding another like her:)
Old 11-19-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_1 View Post
^she didn't earlier, and i don't think she will now, but she chose this. it suits her. she must be determined to make this relationship work, and seems to me to be a very willing partner. William would have had a hard time finding another like her:)
See, that is something that baffles me. As a proud independent woman, I could never sacrifice my identity while having a relationship with a man. Personally, I think by doing so, Kate has sent the woman's movement back 60 years. Sorry to be frank, but that's my belief. That is why I am hoping she develops her own identity once she marries William.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Commoner

I read that Kate attended a Catholic school as a young girl. Is she Catholic?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
The criticisms of Kate/Catherine continue...thought I have to admit, I still wonder if she will have a separate identity now from William's.

Kate Middleton Has No Identity Of Her Own Not Down To Earth Royal Prince William Marriage Engagement Princess Children Wedding
I've just read this article and think it presumptuous. They, like most of us, know nothing, really, and can only surmise. To assume that Catherine didn't do a proper job of work in her parent's business is somewhat offensive: my children have worked for and with their father from time to time and by golly, they earned their money. There are no slackers in this family and given the Middleton's business success from a base of zilch, I think that it's safe to assume that they're professional in their expectations, too. From the little which I know, Catherine returned home to live and work to escape the press, which I thought most sensible.

And, of course, most of the spouses in the BRF work in the family business to some extent or t'other, not to mention HM's own children, to some extent or t'other.

Nor can I believe that a well educated woman in today's world will suffer any serious identity crisis. Why would she? Necessarily her life and profile will be inextricably bound to her husband's but that's true of most married couples, not just princes and princesses. Much the same sort of presumptions were made of CP Mary whose royal 'career' I've followed, and they were entirely wrong, too.

To me, such comments are merely sour reflections on royalty, generally. In future, we'll have an opportunity to see Princess Catherine flourish and assess how well she's suited to her role in which, given her long relationship with William and intimate knowledge of his royal duties and expectations, I'm confident will be a success. She most certainly won't be another Diana, but should we expect her to be? As William said:

"No one is trying to fill my mother’s shoes. What she did is fantastic. It’s about making your own future and your own destiny, and Kate will do a very good job of that.”

As he knows her best of all, I'm inclined to believe him.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post

As he knows her best of all, I'm inclined to believe him.
I hope you're right, Polly. We'll just have to wait and see.