Education of the Cambridge Children, Part 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: That makes sense.

It's also possible that Battersea, being in one single location, is easier to secure. In contrast, it appears that the Kensington campus has separate buildings a few streets apart for the Lower and Preparatory schools, plus an annexe with some additional facilities also a few streets away from the other two buildings.

In the Kensington location, they'd have to prep* the Lower School building, then do additional work to prep the Prep School building, and then have RPOs covering both buildings while George has moved on to Prep School but Charlotte is still in the Lower School.

*by prep, I mean everything from creating security and evacuation plans up to any physical modifications they may make to the building.

:previous: That makes sense.

It's also possible that Battersea, being in one single location, is easier to secure. In contrast, it appears that the Kensington campus has separate buildings a few streets apart for the Lower and Preparatory schools, plus an annexe with some additional facilities also a few streets away from the other two buildings.

In the Kensington location, they'd have to prep* the Lower School building, then do additional work to prep the Prep School building, and then have RPOs covering both buildings while George has moved on to Prep School but Charlotte is still in the Lower School.

*by prep, I mean everything from creating security and evacuation plans up to any physical modifications they may make to the building.
Good points!

The kindergarten has two dates of entrance September and January. Charlotte won't be two and a half till October. She would have to wait till January.

I don't know what Battersea's requirements are, but it's conceivable that Charlotte could be starting nursery school or kindergarten in September - George was about 2 years and 5 months when he started nursery school, Charlotte will be 2 and 4 months in September. Depending on the school's age requirements and Charlotte's development she may start school in September.

I disagree, I think it was a horrible decision.
No child should ever think of school as a prison sentence.

As for toughening him up, I am of the opinion that children should never be subjected to that sort of toughening (though call it as it truly is- bullying).

I totally agree with you. I understand that times were different when Charles was growing up, but IMO, Prince Philip was rather insensitive to Charles' personality. Today, more is understood about the importance of allowing children to develop at their own pace and to encourage and nurture the personalities they have rather than forcing strict adherence to status quo expectations.

It probably pays to understand Prince Philip's biography as well. He was fortunate in having an ingrained tough, optimistic personality which was helpful to him in dealing with the unstable and difficult family upbringing he experienced as a result of his father being exiled and stripped of his Greek royal title. As we all know, Princess Anne has the tough, no-nonsense personality that is similar to her father's. Prince Charles' personality is completely different, likely closer to his grandfather's (King George VI's). That could be one reason why his grandmother (the Queen Mother) was close to Charles -- she may have detected his similarities to her late husband. I wonder how much if anything Charles remembers of his grandfather before his death?

I also think Charles was adversely affected by being separated from his mother so often at such an early age due to the heavy mantle thrust upon her as Queen. There have been references to the fact of how the Queen now realizes how much her early married life was harshly impacted by her father's death necessitating her accession to the throne at the age of 25. It affected her relationship with Prince Philip as well, and that's one of the reasons why she deferred all personal family-related decisions to him. Had their early family life not been interrupted by royal duties, they may even have had their third and fourth children sooner without such a large gap in ages.

If he had been fortunate enough to develop a closer bond to both parents when he was very young, Charles may have been less awkward and unsure of himself as a youngster. He was closer to his grandmother (the Queen Mother) since he was around her more growing up. In his teens, Charles' Great Uncle Louis Mountbatten became a mentor, role model, and champion to him. I doubt that Charles ever warmed to his father, nor likely has a deep bond ever developed between Charles and his mother, the Queen. However, there probably is a reserved affection between Charles and the Queen, and a formal bond based on the position HRM holds and that Charles will one day inherit from her.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's choices for their children have likely been informed by their own upbringings and desires for their children to be well-rounded, well-adjusted and socialized with other children in order to have as much of a normal childhood as possible.

Last edited:
I don't know what Battersea's requirements are, but it's conceivable that Charlotte could be starting nursery school or kindergarten in September - George was about 2 years and 5 months when he started nursery school, Charlotte will be 2 and 4 months in September. Depending on the school's age requirements and Charlotte's development she may start school in September.

George started school in January, at the very end. His birthday being in the end of July. He was two and a half.

The school, according to their own site, allows children who aren't yet three to enter. But they have to be two and a half. Charlotte isn't until November (for some reason originally had end of April birth in my head).

I'd love to see them go to Marlborough College together.

I like the coed school for the early years. George and Charlotte can be in the same school. If George went to Eton and Charlotte to Marlborough, you have access for George to his grandfather or father at Windsor to help with his King training and the kids can form their own identity at their perspective schools. I'm 3 younger than my sister. It can be tough sometimes following in an elder siblings footsteps.

The 11 / 13 difference really arises from a private "Prep" school for boys vs a state school

Not necessarily. I live in Greater London and spent my primary education at a prep school (and am a woman; my prep school was co-educational like Thomas's) which finished at 11. There were two other prep schools in my local area that also finished at 11.

I agree Hereditary Princess. I have a feeling that William and Kate will not be sending their children off to boarding school at 8 but will wait until they're older.

I'm glad that there's someone who is on the same page as me. :)

Last edited:
The advantages of Eton...

After having gone to Eton, William and Harry have a large number of friends from their school days, and that's a good thing. Charles has never struck me as a person who has a lot of friends his own age.

I agree Hereditary Princess. I have a feeling that William and Kate will not be sending their children off to boarding school at 8 but will wait until they're older.

I have the same feeling.

Yeah I think Kate and William are going to go the next step past where Diana & Charles went.

LaRae

Are the kids going to be using the surname of Cambridge? I know William and Harry used Wales for school/military/jobs etc.

LaRae

Please note that several off-topic posts that have nothing whatsoever to do with the Education of the Cambridge children have been deleted. There are other threads in which to discuss names, titles and styles of members of the Royal Family.

I have the same feeling.

I hope so I have never understood the English way of putting a little 8 year old in boarding school. I find that awful and cruel and so out of date the way we bring our children up now. Not having a mummy or daddy to read a story and a cuddle and kiss at night is beyond cruel
And I am way off topic sorry it's something I feel very strongly about

I agree with you royal rob 100%. As much as a good education is for all children royal or not, 8 years old is too soon to be "boarded" out for me. It seems to me that a child around 13 years old would be more adaptable to a boarding environment simply because as the kid reaches towards the teen years, so does the inner need to be more independent and think for themselves.

Its very possible that both William and Kate realize this and this is a factor for choosing the school that they did for George (and eventually Charlotte) besides being a co-ed school and having a kindergarten for Charlotte at 2 1/2.

At 8 years old, mommy and daddy are still the principal figures in a child's life and schooling and independence come in second.

At least that's how I see it.

Frankly I'm uncomfortable with the idea of sending any age of a minor child off to a school ...after graduation from high school is soon enough for them to go off to the next phase in life.

Maybe the Cambridges will break new ground all the way around. Will be interesting to see what they do.

LaRae

After having gone to Eton, William and Harry have a large number of friends from their school days, and that's a good thing. Charles has never struck me as a person who has a lot of friends his own age.

Diana wanted Eton for her sons, but I read someplace that Charles asked some alumni about it.
And what made up his mind was when one told him that the closest friendships of his life were those he made at Eton.

Charles decided he wanted that for his own sons, and agreed to go along with Diana's wishes. It helped that he hated Gordonstoun so much that he never entertained the thought of sending his own children there.

Frankly I'm uncomfortable with the idea of sending any age of a minor child off to a school ...after graduation from high school is soon enough for them to go off to the next phase in life.

Maybe the Cambridges will break new ground all the way around. Will be interesting to see what they do.

LaRae

What is more likely is that they will return largely to the old ways - where the children aren't sent away from home at all but only leave the home to go to school, rather than have live-in or visiting tutors.

The idea of sending the children to boarding school, for the royals, is only two generations old (Charles and William are the only two future kings who went to boarding school at all).

It was more normal for them to be totally raised at home and I suspect that this will be the case for George and Charlotte - no boarding school at all.

I hope that is the case. Considering Kate herself had a tough time at boarding school I'm betting she's not too keen on the idea of sending her own children to one.

LaRae

What is more likely is that they will return largely to the old ways - where the children aren't sent away from home at all but only leave the home to go to school, rather than have live-in or visiting tutors.

The idea of sending the children to boarding school, for the royals, is only two generations old (Charles and William are the only two future kings who went to boarding school at all).

It was more normal for them to be totally raised at home and I suspect that this will be the case for George and Charlotte - no boarding school at all.

Not at all. George VI, Edward VIII and their brother George all went to the Naval Academy. George and George at 13, I believe Edward was older. This was basically military boarding school, which led to joining the navy at 17. Edward hated it. Henry was the lone brother out. He actually is the first Windsor to go to Eton. Unlike his brothers who had been tutored and then naval college, Henry was sent to a day school. He wasn't a great student, but he thrived and the headmaster convinced the king to send Henry as a boarding student. He later went to Eton and Cambridge.

Even for women it isn't new. Elizabeth and Margaret didn't go, but Alexandra did. While Edward and Michael went to Eton, she went to Heathfield. Henry sent both sons as well. Eton may have been new in the main line when William went, but Charles certainly had family to ask advice on.

This generation, the Earl of St. Andrews and ulster, Freddie and James Oglivy all attended Eton. Helen went to Gordonstoun, Nicholas went to Harrow, Gabriellle went to Downe.

Honestly boarding school makes sense for royals. Not at eight but at thirteen yes. Especially senior royals. The patebts travel a lot, especially ones like William and Kate. Their kids are going to be home with nannies anyways. And even if exclusive boarding schools, the schools give them a sense of normalcy. Being boarders, they get to be regular students. They see their patebts on holidays and weekends.

I would be shocked if they don't do boarding school. I simply think like Louise, and the yorks, they will be older. A patebts experience often influences choice. Kate and William both enjoyed their schooling. It see,s they simply think 8 too young.

Last edited:
I hope that is the case. Considering Kate herself had a tough time at boarding school I'm betting she's not too keen on the idea of sending her own children to one.

LaRae

She had a hard time at Downe where she was a day student. She was quite happy and did well at Marlburough, where both Pippa and James later went.

I don't get the conceit that at 18 you are suddenly ready to be on your own. Boarding school isn't like sending them out on their own. And when you aren't home to raise your kid, as you are traveling the country on duties, it offers just as much stability as a nanny.

And lets not forget, Catherine's father, grandfather and great-grandfather all boarded at Clifton College.

There is as much of a tradition of sending children off to boarding school in the Middleton family as there is with the royals.

Last edited:
With that many generations it would say that their is more of a tradition in the Middleton family than in the BRF where it is only two generations old.

With that many generations it would say that their is more of a tradition in the Middleton family than in the BRF where it is only two generations old.

As in my post above, it isn't two generations old. The queen's father, Edward and george all went to the naval academy before joining the navy (start at 13). Henry went to Eton. All the queen's cousins went to boarding school including Alexandra.

That is not unusual with private schools. We have already closed our waiting list books for 2022 for Kindergarten - i.e. children born this year - with a number of them 'still to be born'. We do know that of the over 150 names down only 60 will end up getting a place but also that probably 10 - 15 of those won't be ones whose names are down yet. It is a game that private schools play - often with large non-refundable deposits but it does give the parents some choices in 5 years time.

CAtherine was also a weekly boarder at St Andrew ( school not the university) prior to going to Downe House/ Marlborough. She said she enjoyed her time there.

Just out of curiosity, will this school just be a kind of kindergarten for George or will that venue support him through elementary school? Does it fuction as a soet of preschool? I don't understand much the british educational system, sorry :)

Come September George will no longer be pre-school/kindergarten. He will be in his first year of pre-prep. Preschool is 3-4.

The school runs until 13, so there is no reason to think George would have to change schools. It is Charlotte who will be preschool there presumably in January.

Don't you guys think that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge may wish to send their children to day school rather than strictly a boarding school? Or perhaps wait till they are 13 or so before sending them to any boarding schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom