Education of the Cambridge Children, Part 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
William went to Wetherbys, the school George was rumored to be going to.

And no, Thomas is not a regular school. Like Wetherbys, it belongs to a group of prepatory schools in London and is known as a feeder school to Eton. The major difference is it is co-educational meaning Charlotte likely will join her brother. It also is a popular feed school to Marlborough, Kate's old school as well as Eugenie which is a good possibility fir Charlotte one day.

Battersea | Thomas's London Day Schools

The school also has afternoon kindergarten programs open to kids once they hit three. It's likely possible Charlotte will start, like George did, at three.

Day fees are about 6100 a term according to Tattler
Thomas's, Battersea - Prep School Fees, Results & Alumni - 2016 Tatler Schools Guide - Tatler

George is coming 4 ..will be interesting to see if he stays here for the duration and if Charlotte joins him which I would think she would. Be nice to have them at the same school.

LaRae

With Charlotte being over 2 years old when George starts going to school, I can bet my last banana that she'll want to go with him.

It would be kind of neat to have Charlotte enrolled in the same school as her brother as then he'll be able to "show her the ropes" so to speak and she'll always know that "big brother" is around to protect her. Or, if Charlotte is the go getter that she seems to be, bail her out of trouble when she needs it. :D

Going to the same school I think will create an even bigger bond between siblings.

Good choice. I hope George get to meet and make friends with kids of different backgrounds and get a good quality education possible.

Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt
Message on Prince George's new school's website: "The Thomas's website is receiving a very high volume of traffic".

I'm sure they will experience an uptick in enrollment or inquiries.

LaRae

George is coming 4 ..will be interesting to see if he stays here for the duration and if Charlotte joins him which I would think she would. Be nice to have them at the same school.

LaRae

The school is 4-13. It is quite likely that George would remain there until Eton. William changed schools at eight.

The school has a kindergarten program though which starts at three. But like the Montessori school George attended, kids can start earlier. They have to be two and a half when they start. Charlotte won't be until October. So we may see her join her big brother in January.

Last edited:
Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt
Message on Prince George's new school's website: "The Thomas's website is receiving a very high volume of traffic".

As it to be excepted v:ROFLMAO:

It looks like an engaging school! I'm enjoying how wrong the leaks and speculation were

Me to AdmirerUS. They don't know what they think they do.

LaRae

Interesting choice but i suspect part of the decision came down to the fact the school is co-ed and Charlotte will be able to join her brother at the school.

Everyone has assumed that George will go to Eton after but can we really be certain, William and Kate have shown they want to bring their children up "their" way not necessarily the "royal" traditional way

Interesting choice but i suspect part of the decision came down to the fact the school is co-ed and Charlotte will be able to join her brother at the school.

Everyone has assumed that George will go to Eton after but can we really be certain, William and Kate have shown they want to bring their children up "their" way not necessarily the "royal" traditional way

I agree. I am intruiged in the choice of school too as it wasn't on my mental list of potential schools for George (and eventually Charlotte). I've never heard of the school before but it appears that it's a chain of schools as there are a few more. Now we know where George will spend his primary education, it will be interesting to see where he will go to secondary school when the time comes. However, it might also be interesting to note that Thomas's finishes at 13 which suggest that it's a feeder school for the public schools like Eton that start at that age. That's not to say that George will definitely go to Eton; but it seems like William and Catherine have plans to send him there or a similar school.

I agree. I am intruiged in the choice of school too as it wasn't on my mental list of potential schools for George (and eventually Charlotte). I've never heard of the school before but it appears that it's a chain of schools as there are a few more. Now we know where George will spend his primary education, it will be interesting to see where he will go to secondary school when the time comes. However, it might also be interesting to note that Thomas's finishes at 13 which suggest that it's a feeder school for the public schools like Eton that start at that age. That's not to say that George will definitely go to Eton; but it seems like William and Catherine have plans to send him there or a similar school.
Most UK primary schools end at age 13 or 11, so nothing unique there.

Most UK primary schools end at age 13 or 11, so nothing unique there.

Yes, but I'm more familiar with children finishing at 11 so for me personally 13 seems like an unusual finishing age unless the child in question is going to go on to a secondary school that starts at that age. Perhaps for you it's different, but for me it's not, which is why I posted what I did. It's just a simple observation that wasn't meant to be read into too much...

Best Friends are banned at this school?

What happens if two children form a close friendship? They are then separated?

I agree Hereditary Princess. I have a feeling that William and Kate will not be sending their children off to boarding school at 8 but will wait until they're older.

I seem to recall reading about a similar school and can't really remember who it was that attended. Maybe Kate?

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that close friendships are encouraged but they discourage becoming a twosome unit who hang out together all the time and promote being on good and friendly terms with everyone and to be involved with all of your friends rather than be exclusive. I would imagine it builds up being able to work as a team with other people.

Then again, I could be way off base on this. :D

Good choice. I hope George get to meet and make friends with kids of different backgrounds and get a good quality education possible.

Given the fees being charged the background won't be that varied - all rich, upper class kids. Remember that for many people the annual fees will be more than their annual salary.

If he was going to a local state school he might met a range of people from different backgrounds but he will stick to his own class (as did William with Diana's choice of schools for him - upper class rich kids).

He doesn't need that good an education - his life is mapped out for him. He can fail everything and still end up as the Head of State - sad fact but the reality.

I would hope that he is encouraged to do his best but he will know very early on that it will make no difference to his life outcome.

I hope he learns to read and write - something that many British kids can't do that well based on international rankings (and I know Australia is about the same with standards dropping so badly that what was taught in Year 3 when I started teaching in 1980 is now the standard we expect of Year 7 kids).

This choice doesn't surprise me as it was clear from very early on that William and Kate were going to do things differently to how they were done in the past.

I am expecting that neither child will go to boarding school. There are many excellent day private schools in London that also cost and arm and a leg so why send them to boarding school at all?

It's quite possible that William could be King by the time George is ready for Eton or Marlborough. Even if William isn't King, both his and Kate's schedule will be quite heavy by that point. They may feel that boarding school will give the kids a bit of independence. If George is at Eton that's just a short walk to Windsor Castle.

Given the fees being charged the background won't be that varied - all rich, upper class kids. Remember that for many people the annual fees will be more than their annual salary.

If he was going to a local state school he might met a range of people from different backgrounds but he will stick to his own class (as did William with Diana's choice of schools for him - upper class rich kids).

He doesn't need that good an education - his life is mapped out for him. He can fail everything and still end up as the Head of State - sad fact but the reality.

I would hope that he is encouraged to do his best but he will know very early on that it will make no difference to his life outcome.

I hope he learns to read and write - something that many British kids can't do that well based on international rankings (and I know Australia is about the same with standards dropping so badly that what was taught in Year 3 when I started teaching in 1980 is now the standard we expect of Year 7 kids).

This choice doesn't surprise me as it was clear from very early on that William and Kate were going to do things differently to how they were done in the past.

I am expecting that neither child will go to boarding school. There are many excellent day private schools in London that also cost and arm and a leg so why send them to boarding school at all?

Well, there's some kids of different backgrounds that can afford schools like this. I just wish the kids the best in school. I wouldn't go back those torturous school days for nothing in the world.

Maybe that's just as well.
Didn't Charles complain that Gordonstoun was mainly affluent middle-class, not aristocracy, and for that reason he was bullied?

Diversity isn't necessarily a good thing in such cases.

It isn't the "Upper classes" who send their children to schools like this.

This is upper middle class made up of bankers, brokers, business people, politicians, media types inc journalists etc.

these are the (cash) rich people. Upper classes have assets and not a lot of cash.

I like this choice, esp because it is co-ed. And also because its possible for the children to stay here until they are 13.

And if William and Catherine have any sense of the future, they will ensure that their children speak French.;)

Forget French, its all about Chinese, Cepe.;)

I can see George and Charlotte being in private schools, in England, not boarding schools. I believe Mr. and Mrs. Cambridge wants their children to have a modest lifestyle, not too lavish.

I can see George and Charlotte being in private schools, in England, not boarding schools. I believe Mr. and Mrs. Cambridge wants their children to have a modest lifestyle, not too lavish.

Their children live in a palace. Even if they go to a day school and not boarding school, there is nothing modest about their schooling.

Parents education choices tend to reflect their own experience. Charles and his brothers all went to Gordonstoun. He had a horrid time, and so chose to send his sons to Eton. Eton was popular with the Kents. The Duke, his father, brother and eldest son all attended.

William and Kate both went to boarding school. William enjoyed Eton. Skate enjoyed Marlborough. They may have chosen a school that goes to thirteen so the kids will be older for boarding school.

There is also sensible realities to boarding school. Their dad will be Prince if Wales when the time comes. Their patebts will constantly be traveling both in the UK and abroad. Having the kids in boarding school and home weekends offers some practicality.

Boarding schools are not just lavish places of snobbery.

They may choose other schools, but I'd be shocked if boarding schools are not chosen. They will just be like Louise, a bit older. Well we don't know where she us going in the fall.

It isn't the "Upper classes" who send their children to schools like this.

This is upper middle class made up of bankers, brokers, business people, politicians, media types inc journalists etc.

these are the (cash) rich people. Upper classes have assets and not a lot of cash.

I like this choice, esp because it is co-ed. And also because its possible for the children to stay here until they are 13.

I think thats right, private schools in London and the SE are no longer just the preserve of the uber-rich. Large numbers of professional lawyers, accountants, doctors, bankers etc send their children to private scholls. There can be quite a lot of income disparities within these schools, as well as disparities as to backgrounds and ethnicities.

And if William and Catherine have any sense of the future, they will ensure that their children speak French.;)

You have identified the key point. The ability to converse in French or other European languages is the absolute benchmark to evaluate the education a future King receives, as well as his suitability for the role :flowers:

Yes, but I'm more familiar with children finishing at 11 so for me personally 13 seems like an unusual finishing age unless the child in question is going to go on to a secondary school that starts at that age. Perhaps for you it's different, but for me it's not, which is why I posted what I did. It's just a simple observation that wasn't meant to be read into too much...

The 11 / 13 difference really arises from a private "Prep" school for boys vs a state school

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince George is starting his school days!

Kensington Palace announced today that Prince William and Princess Kate‘s eldest will attend Thomas’s Battersea School in London starting this September.

“Their Royal Highnesses are delighted to have found a school where they are confident George will have a happy and successful start to his education,” the palace said in a statement.

The school’s headmaster, Ben Thomas, also gave a statement through the palace about their future student.

“We are honored and delighted that Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have chosen Thomas’s Battersea for Prince George,” Ben Thomas, Headmaster at Thomas’s Battersea said. “We greatly look forward to welcoming him and all of our new pupils to the school in September.”
Read more:Prince George Is Going to Thomas's Battersea School in London

Why is George attending the Battersea branch of the school?

Isn't the branch in Kensington much closer to home?

Here is an article from a few years ago. It's even more telling as it is about the very school George is attending. Explains more their reasoning behind it.

Children shouldn't have best friends, private school head argues - Telegraph

Why is George attending the Battersea branch of the school?

Isn't the branch in Kensington much closer to home?

I could be wrong but it's likely due to Charlotte. It seems by their choice for coed they want the kids together. Though there are several locations, there is only one kindergarten program. And it's located at Battersea. There is kindergarten and afternoon programs. Logistically makes sense to send both there, they can both stay at same location till 13.

The kindergarten has two dates of entrance September and January. Charlotte won't be two and a half till November. She would have to wait till January.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom