Education of the Cambridge Children, Part 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Camilla T has an article about George in tomorrow's Sunday Express that does purport to have new information:

Prince George school plans: The royal child will attend different school | Royal | News | Daily Express

TL : DR - Rather than enrolling George at Wetherby, they're considering enrolling him at the brand new Wetherby - Kensington satellite location because it's a) closer, b) smaller and c) won't have so many celebrity kids as the Notting Hill Wetherby, thereby cutting down on the number of paps.

With that said, the claim of a five-minute walk from KP don't seem to be borne out by Google Maps, based on the location of the new satellite school given on the Wetherby website.

Camilla T has an article about George in tomorrow's Sunday Express that does purport to have new information:

Prince George school plans: The royal child will attend different school | Royal | News | Daily Express

TL : DR - Rather than enrolling George at Wetherby, they're considering enrolling him at the brand new Wetherby - Kensington satellite location because it's a) closer, b) smaller and c) won't have so many celebrity kids as the Notting Hill Wetherby, thereby cutting down on the number of paps.

With that said, the claim of a five-minute walk from KP don't seem to be borne out by Google Maps, based on the location of the new satellite school given on the Wetherby website.

IF this story is true, sending George there will increase the number of paps.

It's the same school. different location.

Thanks for the information hel. Curious to see if this will be the case come fall.

IF this story is true, sending George there will increase the number of paps.

It's the same school. different location.

I had the same thought myself, Cepe, about the number of paps.

I'm sorry, I thought specifying that it was a satellite school was adequate to express that I knew it was the same school, different location. I apologize for being unclear.

I had the same thought myself, Cepe, about the number of paps.

I'm sorry, I thought specifying that it was a satellite school was adequate to express that I knew it was the same school, different location. I apologize for being unclear.

No - you were clear, its the article which says different school! :flowers:

Sunday papers do produce masses of fluff!

Well if he's mixing with children from celebs or not it seems he won't be mixing with girls !! I am soo against single sex schools so I better not get involved in this topic or I will end up getting a life ban here ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Isn't there laws about photographing underage kids without their parents permission. I can't imagine the police allowing the paps to camp in front of a school every day. There will be pictures on his first day when his parents take him.

We didn't really see a constant stream of photos from William and Harry going to school. George isn't going to be walking to school. His police detail will take him.

Well if he's mixing with children from celebs or not it seems he won't be mixing with girls !! I am soo against single sex schools so I better not get involved in this topic or I will end up getting a life ban here ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

He is mixing with a girl everyday in the form of his little sister.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't there laws about photographing underage kids without their parents permission. I can't imagine the police allowing the paps to camp in front of a school every day. There will be pictures on his first day when his parents take him.

We didn't really see a constant stream of photos from William and Harry going to school. George isn't going to be walking to school. His police detail will take him.

The article's claim is that, while the paps are prohibited from taking pictures of the kids of celebs, pick-up and drop-off times become something of a salmon run for pictures of the parents, with paps being the bears waiting eagerly for multitudes of tasty fish to swim by sans spawn.

George's RPOs would have stay with him anyways so more than likely they will be the main people taking him to school.

The Editors' Code of Practice has this to say about children

i) All pupils should be free to complete their time at school without unnecessary intrusion.

ii) They must not be approached or photographed at school without permission of the school authorities.

iii) Children under 16 must not be interviewed or photographed on issues involving their own or another child’s welfare unless a custodial parent or similarly responsible adult consents.

iv) Children under 16 must not be paid for material involving their welfare, nor parents or guardians for material about their children or wards, unless it is clearly in the child's interest.

v) Editors must not use the fame, notoriety or position of a parent or guardian as sole justification for publishing details of a child's private life.

Are there? Certainly hasn't stopped the paps from taking numerous pictures of George whenever he's appeared in public (at official events or not). Nor has it prevented newspapers from publishing said pictures.

Even if the story is true they may want to get facts straight. Location would not be a deciding factor. The school location in notting hill, according to google, is actually closer to Kensington palace. Neither us a five minute walk, more a five minute drive. Nottinghill would be a 15 minute walk vs 20 to the new one.

No matter which location, there will be paps for George. They won't escape that or lower it by moving.

I expect school choices - and not just starter schools! - have been made for George and Charlotte since their earliest days on the planet.

The only thing new will be when we are made privy to them.

I expect school choices - and not just starter schools! - have been made for George and Charlotte since their earliest days on the planet.

The only thing new will be when we are made privy to them.

I would like to think that their parents would find the best school for each of them and that would require seeing how they both develop as they get older. William liked Eton but it may not be the best fit for George. Just like Gordonstoun wasn't the best fit for Charles and he was miserable during his time there. Kate had a bad school experience and her parents acted and switched her school.

I would like to think that their parents would find the best school for each of them and that would require seeing how they both develop as they get older. William liked Eton but it may not be the best fit for George. Just like Gordonstoun wasn't the best fit for Charles and he was miserable during his time there. Kate had a bad school experience and her parents acted and switched her school.

I've never understood why the BRF has been so reluctant to switch schools when younger royals are unhappy!

Charles hated Gordonstoun, the whole family knew he was miserable- so why leave him there?

William thought of leaving St. Andrews but the BRF was against it, and he finally switched majors and adjusted.

But what if he hadn't? Would he have been stuck there?

Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News Part 2: May 2016

St Andrews and William was more he was feeling homesick. It happens to a lot of freshmen as you miss your old friends but fully haven't developed new friends yet. William also chose St Andrews himself. So it's not like his father picked it out for him.

Philip went to Gordonstoun so he thought it would toughen Charles up. The Queen turned all the family decisions to Philip because he was already playing second fiddle to her as Queen. It was also early 1960 and the upper class weren't in to the emotional health of children.

Last edited:
St Andrews and William was more he was feeling homesick. It happens to a lot of freshmen as you miss your old friends but fully haven't developed new friends yet. William also chose St Andrews himself. So it's not like his father picked it out for him.

Philip went to Gordonstoun so he thought it would toughen Charles up. The Queen turned all the family decisions to Philip because he was already playing second fiddle to her as Queen. It was also early 1960 and the upper class weren't in to the emotional health of children.

And it was good decision for Charles. He become stronger. Imagine Charles leaving the Army as Edward. It would be real disaster.

And it was good decision for Charles. He become stronger. Imagine Charles leaving the Army as Edward. It would be real disaster.

I disagree, I think it was a horrible decision.
No child should ever think of school as a prison sentence.

As for toughening him up, I am of the opinion that children should never be subjected to that sort of toughening (though call it as it truly is- bullying).

I disagree, I think it was a horrible decision.
No child should ever think of school as a prison sentence.

As for toughening him up, I am of the opinion that children should never be subjected to that sort of toughening (though call it as it truly is- bullying).

I have to agree. As a victim of bullying myself, I am tired of the "you become tougher so it's a good thing" attitude which is something I myself have been told (even by my own former pastoral care teachers) and I also find it a rather old fashioned outlook of bullying. As you have said, what Charles experienced at Gourdonstoun was bullying and it's no good thing he had to endure it.

I hope that neither of George or Charlotte will have a similar school experience to their paternal grandfather's.

I have to agree. As a victim of bullying myself, I am tired of the "you become tougher so it's a good thing" attitude which is something I myself have been told (even by my own former pastoral care teachers) and I also find it a rather old fashioned outlook of bullying. As you have said, what Charles experienced at Gourdonstoun was bullying and it's no good thing he had to endure it.

I hope that neither of George or Charlotte will have a similar school experience to their paternal grandfather's.

Of course its old fashioned - he went to Gordenstoun in the 50s.

Life has changed, education has changed as well. Why think that it mistakes would be repeated?

Also add that Zara and Peter Philips attended Gordonstoun and enjoyed it.

Horses for courses!

Life has changed, education has changed as well. Why think that it mistakes would be repeated?

Horses for courses!

As did Andrew and Edward.

So of the 6 royals who have attended the school 5 loved it and 1 hated it.

Charles did love his time in Australia though so the style of school wasn't the issue but the way he was treated there - which I suspect would have been the case wherever he went. He was the future king so the boys took the opportunity to pick on him then knowing that later on they wouldn't be able to do so.

That sort of behaviour wouldn't be deemed acceptable in a school today but it was then.

Harry took some hazing/harassment while he was at school, he mentioned it recently in an article I read.

LaRae

Yes, Harry has said he wasn't very happy at Eton. Since that, I've wondered if if, somewhat ironically, he might have been happier at a school like Gordonstoun.

Education of the Cambridge Children

Horses for courses!

I think you need to re-read my post.

I didn't say that Charles's education was old fashioned. That whole "it's good as it makes you tougher"outlook on bullying itself is old-fashioned, is what I meant. Obviously Charles's school experience would be old fashioned in comparison to that of his grandchildren, but, as I said, that's not what I meant.

When I said "I hope that neither George or Charlotte will have a similar school experience to their paternal grandfather" I did not mean that "I hope they do not go to Gordonstoun". I meant that I hope they don't get bullied like their father did. Bullying, as I very well know, can happen anywhere, not just at Gordonstoun. I would also like to clear up that by this I don't mean that George will get bullied at school because as a victim myself I'd never like to predict that on anyone.

I am fully aware that more royals enjoyed Gourdonstoun than disliked, too. IIRC Edward was elected head boy in his final year.

But I doubt it will be on the list for George and or Charlotte as none of the younger generation (I'm thinking Princess Beatrice onwards) have been sent there.

Last edited:
As did Andrew and Edward.

So of the 6 royals who have attended the school 5 loved it and 1 hated it.

Do we know that? That Charles didn't enjoy his school years we do know, how the rest felt is not open to the knowladge of the public domain as far as I know. :ermm:

So...not where William attended pre-school (nursery school) IIRC.

Is this just a regular pre-school?

LaRae

So...not where William attended pre-school (nursery school) IIRC.

Is this just a regular pre-school?

LaRae

William went to Wetherbys, the school George was rumored to be going to.

And no, Thomas is not a regular school. Like Wetherbys, it belongs to a group of prepatory schools in London and is known as a feeder school to Eton. The major difference is it is co-educational meaning Charlotte likely will join her brother. It also is a popular feed school to Marlborough, Kate's old school as well as Eugenie which is a good possibility fir Charlotte one day.

http://www.thomas-s.co.uk/Battersea-Home

The school also has afternoon kindergarten programs open to kids once they hit three. It's likely possible Charlotte will start, like George did, at three.

Day fees are about 6100 a term according to Tattler
http://www.tatler.com/guides/schools-guide/2016/prep/thomass-battersea

Last edited:
I'm glad they decided to send him to a co-ed school. I think it's a better option especially for kids that young.

William went to Wetherbys, the school George was rumored to be going to.

And no, Thomas is not a regular school. Like Wetherbys, it belongs to a group of prepatory schools in London and is known as a feeder school to Eton. The major difference is it is co-educational meaning Charlotte likely will join her brother. It also is a popular feed school to Marlborough, Kate's old school as well as Eugenie which is a good possibility fir Charlotte one day.

Battersea | Thomas's London Day Schools

The school also has afternoon kindergarten programs open to kids once they hit three. It's likely possible Charlotte will start, like George did, at three.

Day fees are about 6100 a term according to Tattler
Thomas's, Battersea - Prep School Fees, Results & Alumni - 2016 Tatler Schools Guide - Tatler

George was two in early 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom