The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-25-2017, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I would just hope this Cambridge kids get a chance to meet other kids from different walks of life. There's nothing like being exposed to diversity from an early age.
Considering the school fees, which are quite high, I doubt there'll really be many children from all walks of life.
They will mostly be from wealthy families, although I suppose there may be a few scholarship students.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Considering the school fees, which are quite high, I doubt there'll really be many children from all walks of life.
They will mostly be from wealthy families, although I suppose there may be a few scholarship students.
There is wealthy, and there is very wealthy.

If you live in central London, there is a real paucity of quality state schools, and many parents end up having to send their children to private schools. This means that you could, at one end of the spectrum, have professional parents (say Doctors, Accountants, Lawyers) paying out substantial parts of their income to privately educate their children, and at the other end of the spectrum, have the children of the uber-wealthy. That is the diversity that George and Charlotte are likely to see.

Funnily, most London private schools tend to charge very similar fees, so there aren't that many posher private schools to less posh private schools.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:28 PM
Heir Apparent

It's not just fees. There are many more children trying to get in than there are places. So like most private schools, there is a selection process even for kids.

Although George is 99% likely to attend Eton, Marlborough has admitted girls for decades.

George and Charlotte could attend together.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
This was discussed several weeks ago when everyone found out where he'd be attending, yes the school has scholarship students.

LaRae
Old 08-25-2017, 07:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
They have chosen a co-ed school where they will send both their childrn for a primary education.

As regards secondary schools in the UK, most good schools are single sex. There choice for a co-ed secondary school education in the south of england will be limited at best.

But secondary education is the most important to be co-ed. What a great statement they could make co-ed and no boarding school.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Marlborough is a co-ed school, as is Stowe

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-25-2017, 09:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
He won't have to be smart.
He'll go to school wherever his parents like!

(I'm wondering if he'll attend Eton or Marlborough when the time comes).
Well, my comment was a little tongue in cheek - I doubt William and Kate were too stressed out about getting George into primary school - but I do think times are changing and it would be difficult for him to head off to a place like, for example, St. Paul's if he didn't have the academic chops that would allow him to be there on merit alone.

Eton is different and that's where I think George will go even if he doesn't quite hit their usual academic standards. They took Harry and did the best they could with him, but that was decades ago and, again, times have changed, and probably will have changed even more by the time George is ready for secondary school.

All this is hypothetical, of course.. George could well be extremely bright.

I think they'll do boarding for both kids at secondary, just to get them out of London while they're teenagers. Both Kate and Pippa seem to have thrived at Marlborough, so that's probably a reasonable bet for Charlotte.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:47 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think that Eton is the most likely for George too. Its not only getting him out of London but its putting him into a school with his peers where there is a structured daily routine and the focus is on education. With the dress code and with it being all boys, it kind of buffers the student from teenage peer pressure of clothing, relationships with the opposite sex on a daily basis which could detract from studies and gives structure to the student's life.

Who knows? Maybe George will follow William's example and walk across the river over to Windsor Castle for king lessons and tea from his grandfather? I think that practice served William well.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

Marlborough is a co-ed school, as is Stowe
I think Stowe is out of the running, since Kate hated it.

(Same as Gordonstoun was out of the running for William and Harry, since Charles hated it so much).
Old 08-25-2017, 10:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think Stowe is out of the running, since Kate hated it.

(Same as Gordonstoun was out of the running for William and Harry, since Charles hated it so much).
She never went to Stowe - she hated Downe House.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it was Cressida Bonas who went briefly to Stowe and disliked it.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:35 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it might be an idea to get George thru reception class before we decide on his secondary education.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Yeah I think Kate and William are going to go the next step past where Diana & Charles went.

LaRae

I had thought that but a couple of things make me wonder if that will be the case. I might have to wait for Harry and Meghan and little Harry junior to that.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I had thought that but a couple of things make me wonder if that will be the case. I might have to wait for Harry and Meghan and little Harry junior to that.
I think W&K are going to send their kids to as 'normal' a school (upper class Brit) as they can..co-ed all the way or as much as possible, I'm not sure if the upper levels have the co-ed schools.

LaRae
Old 08-25-2017, 11:58 PM
Majesty

One thing we can pretty much guarantee is that W&K will not go with a method that is gaining popularity as time passes. Home schooling. The BRF had been there for a long while, done that and have ditched it.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Education of the Cambridge Children

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I think it might be an idea to get George thru reception class before we decide on his secondary education.

Exactly people need to relax. George is 4 and Charlotte is 2. They need to be able to become their own person. Once their parents knows about their strengths and weaknesses they can pick a school best for each child.

Everyone had George following William's educational path then the Cambridges picked a totally different primary school for George. Eton could be an excellent fit for George or it may not. I have full trust that the Cambridges will do the best for each of their children when the time comes.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
But secondary education is the most important to be co-ed. What a great statement they could make co-ed and no boarding school.
Perhaps I should clarify. Most secondary schools in the UK, boarding or not, are single sex schools. In that case, how would you like them to make the "great statement", assuming they agree with your view?
Old 08-26-2017, 10:55 AM
Serene Highness

'Statements' are NOT to be made with things as important as ones Children's education..
Old 08-26-2017, 11:17 AM
Majesty

The thing is that right now, with the choice that William and Kate have made, they know George (and eventually Charlotte) will be attending a school with a reputation for excellence and trust that the educators will get to know their children, what their needs are and will be able to advise the parents of what will be the best route to go into further education based on the child's skill set and aptitudes.

One thing I can be pretty sure of is that with Will & Kate being so hands on with their parenting, they are also going to be very involved in their children's education.

I do have to giggle though at the thought of Kate being so very hands on that she volunteers for duty as a lunch lady. Then again, she just might do that.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:36 AM
Serene Highness

Catherine would fit in beautifully, Osipi...