The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-24-2017, 09:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Given the fees being charged the background won't be that varied - all rich, upper class kids. Remember that for many people the annual fees will be more than their annual salary.

If he was going to a local state school he might met a range of people from different backgrounds but he will stick to his own class (as did William with Diana's choice of schools for him - upper class rich kids).

He doesn't need that good an education - his life is mapped out for him. He can fail everything and still end up as the Head of State - sad fact but the reality.

I would hope that he is encouraged to do his best but he will know very early on that it will make no difference to his life outcome.

I hope he learns to read and write - something that many British kids can't do that well based on international rankings (and I know Australia is about the same with standards dropping so badly that what was taught in Year 3 when I started teaching in 1980 is now the standard we expect of Year 7 kids).

This choice doesn't surprise me as it was clear from very early on that William and Kate were going to do things differently to how they were done in the past.

I am expecting that neither child will go to boarding school. There are many excellent day private schools in London that also cost and arm and a leg so why send them to boarding school at all?
Well, there's some kids of different backgrounds that can afford schools like this. I just wish the kids the best in school. I wouldn't go back those torturous school days for nothing in the world.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-24-2017, 09:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Given the fees being charged the background won't be that varied - all rich, upper class kids. Remember that for many people the annual fees will be more than their annual salary.

Maybe that's just as well.
Didn't Charles complain that Gordonstoun was mainly affluent middle-class, not aristocracy, and for that reason he was bullied?

Diversity isn't necessarily a good thing in such cases.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:17 PM
Heir Apparent

It isn't the "Upper classes" who send their children to schools like this.

This is upper middle class made up of bankers, brokers, business people, politicians, media types inc journalists etc.

these are the (cash) rich people. Upper classes have assets and not a lot of cash.

I like this choice, esp because it is co-ed. And also because its possible for the children to stay here until they are 13.

And if William and Catherine have any sense of the future, they will ensure that their children speak French.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-24-2017, 10:32 PM
Courtier

Forget French, its all about Chinese, Cepe.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:45 PM
Aristocracy

I can see George and Charlotte being in private schools, in England, not boarding schools. I believe Mr. and Mrs. Cambridge wants their children to have a modest lifestyle, not too lavish.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery View Post
I can see George and Charlotte being in private schools, in England, not boarding schools. I believe Mr. and Mrs. Cambridge wants their children to have a modest lifestyle, not too lavish.
Their children live in a palace. Even if they go to a day school and not boarding school, there is nothing modest about their schooling.

Parents education choices tend to reflect their own experience. Charles and his brothers all went to Gordonstoun. He had a horrid time, and so chose to send his sons to Eton. Eton was popular with the Kents. The Duke, his father, brother and eldest son all attended.

William and Kate both went to boarding school. William enjoyed Eton. Skate enjoyed Marlborough. They may have chosen a school that goes to thirteen so the kids will be older for boarding school.

There is also sensible realities to boarding school. Their dad will be Prince if Wales when the time comes. Their patebts will constantly be traveling both in the UK and abroad. Having the kids in boarding school and home weekends offers some practicality.

Boarding schools are not just lavish places of snobbery.

They may choose other schools, but I'd be shocked if boarding schools are not chosen. They will just be like Louise, a bit older. Well we don't know where she us going in the fall.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:46 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
It isn't the "Upper classes" who send their children to schools like this.

This is upper middle class made up of bankers, brokers, business people, politicians, media types inc journalists etc.

these are the (cash) rich people. Upper classes have assets and not a lot of cash.

I like this choice, esp because it is co-ed. And also because its possible for the children to stay here until they are 13.
I think thats right, private schools in London and the SE are no longer just the preserve of the uber-rich. Large numbers of professional lawyers, accountants, doctors, bankers etc send their children to private scholls. There can be quite a lot of income disparities within these schools, as well as disparities as to backgrounds and ethnicities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

And if William and Catherine have any sense of the future, they will ensure that their children speak French.
You have identified the key point. The ability to converse in French or other European languages is the absolute benchmark to evaluate the education a future King receives, as well as his suitability for the role

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Yes, but I'm more familiar with children finishing at 11 so for me personally 13 seems like an unusual finishing age unless the child in question is going to go on to a secondary school that starts at that age. Perhaps for you it's different, but for me it's not, which is why I posted what I did. It's just a simple observation that wasn't meant to be read into too much...
The 11 / 13 difference really arises from a private "Prep" school for boys vs a state school
Old 03-25-2017, 03:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Prince George is starting his school days!

Kensington Palace announced today that Prince William and Princess Kate‘s eldest will attend Thomas’s Battersea School in London starting this September.

“Their Royal Highnesses are delighted to have found a school where they are confident George will have a happy and successful start to his education,” the palace said in a statement.

The school’s headmaster, Ben Thomas, also gave a statement through the palace about their future student.

“We are honored and delighted that Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have chosen Thomas’s Battersea for Prince George,” Ben Thomas, Headmaster at Thomas’s Battersea said. “We greatly look forward to welcoming him and all of our new pupils to the school in September.”
Read more:Prince George Is Going to Thomas's Battersea School in London
Old 03-25-2017, 11:08 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Prince George will do well there. He is a cute boy. A future duke. A future king.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Why is George attending the Battersea branch of the school?

Isn't the branch in Kensington much closer to home?
Old 03-25-2017, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Best Friends are banned at this school?

What happens if two children form a close friendship? They are then separated?
Here is an article from a few years ago. It's even more telling as it is about the very school George is attending. Explains more their reasoning behind it.

Children shouldn't have best friends, private school head argues - Telegraph

Quote:
Why is George attending the Battersea branch of the school?

Isn't the branch in Kensington much closer to home?
I could be wrong but it's likely due to Charlotte. It seems by their choice for coed they want the kids together. Though there are several locations, there is only one kindergarten program. And it's located at Battersea. There is kindergarten and afternoon programs. Logistically makes sense to send both there, they can both stay at same location till 13.

The kindergarten has two dates of entrance September and January. Charlotte won't be two and a half till November. She would have to wait till January.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:56 PM
Nobility

That makes sense.

It's also possible that Battersea, being in one single location, is easier to secure. In contrast, it appears that the Kensington campus has separate buildings a few streets apart for the Lower and Preparatory schools, plus an annexe with some additional facilities also a few streets away from the other two buildings.

In the Kensington location, they'd have to prep* the Lower School building, then do additional work to prep the Prep School building, and then have RPOs covering both buildings while George has moved on to Prep School but Charlotte is still in the Lower School.

*by prep, I mean everything from creating security and evacuation plans up to any physical modifications they may make to the building.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
That makes sense.

It's also possible that Battersea, being in one single location, is easier to secure. In contrast, it appears that the Kensington campus has separate buildings a few streets apart for the Lower and Preparatory schools, plus an annexe with some additional facilities also a few streets away from the other two buildings.

In the Kensington location, they'd have to prep* the Lower School building, then do additional work to prep the Prep School building, and then have RPOs covering both buildings while George has moved on to Prep School but Charlotte is still in the Lower School.

*by prep, I mean everything from creating security and evacuation plans up to any physical modifications they may make to the building.
Good points!
Old 03-25-2017, 02:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

The kindergarten has two dates of entrance September and January. Charlotte won't be two and a half till October. She would have to wait till January.

I don't know what Battersea's requirements are, but it's conceivable that Charlotte could be starting nursery school or kindergarten in September - George was about 2 years and 5 months when he started nursery school, Charlotte will be 2 and 4 months in September. Depending on the school's age requirements and Charlotte's development she may start school in September.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I disagree, I think it was a horrible decision.
No child should ever think of school as a prison sentence.

As for toughening him up, I am of the opinion that children should never be subjected to that sort of toughening (though call it as it truly is- bullying).
I totally agree with you. I understand that times were different when Charles was growing up, but IMO, Prince Philip was rather insensitive to Charles' personality. Today, more is understood about the importance of allowing children to develop at their own pace and to encourage and nurture the personalities they have rather than forcing strict adherence to status quo expectations.

It probably pays to understand Prince Philip's biography as well. He was fortunate in having an ingrained tough, optimistic personality which was helpful to him in dealing with the unstable and difficult family upbringing he experienced as a result of his father being exiled and stripped of his Greek royal title. As we all know, Princess Anne has the tough, no-nonsense personality that is similar to her father's. Prince Charles' personality is completely different, likely closer to his grandfather's (King George VI's). That could be one reason why his grandmother (the Queen Mother) was close to Charles -- she may have detected his similarities to her late husband. I wonder how much if anything Charles remembers of his grandfather before his death?

I also think Charles was adversely affected by being separated from his mother so often at such an early age due to the heavy mantle thrust upon her as Queen. There have been references to the fact of how the Queen now realizes how much her early married life was harshly impacted by her father's death necessitating her accession to the throne at the age of 25. It affected her relationship with Prince Philip as well, and that's one of the reasons why she deferred all personal family-related decisions to him. Had their early family life not been interrupted by royal duties, they may even have had their third and fourth children sooner without such a large gap in ages.

If he had been fortunate enough to develop a closer bond to both parents when he was very young, Charles may have been less awkward and unsure of himself as a youngster. He was closer to his grandmother (the Queen Mother) since he was around her more growing up. In his teens, Charles' Great Uncle Louis Mountbatten became a mentor, role model, and champion to him. I doubt that Charles ever warmed to his father, nor likely has a deep bond ever developed between Charles and his mother, the Queen. However, there probably is a reserved affection between Charles and the Queen, and a formal bond based on the position HRM holds and that Charles will one day inherit from her.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's choices for their children have likely been informed by their own upbringings and desires for their children to be well-rounded, well-adjusted and socialized with other children in order to have as much of a normal childhood as possible.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I don't know what Battersea's requirements are, but it's conceivable that Charlotte could be starting nursery school or kindergarten in September - George was about 2 years and 5 months when he started nursery school, Charlotte will be 2 and 4 months in September. Depending on the school's age requirements and Charlotte's development she may start school in September.
George started school in January, at the very end. His birthday being in the end of July. He was two and a half.

The school, according to their own site, allows children who aren't yet three to enter. But they have to be two and a half. Charlotte isn't until November (for some reason originally had end of April birth in my head).
Old 03-25-2017, 03:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd love to see them go to Marlborough College together.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I like the coed school for the early years. George and Charlotte can be in the same school. If George went to Eton and Charlotte to Marlborough, you have access for George to his grandfather or father at Windsor to help with his King training and the kids can form their own identity at their perspective schools. I'm 3 younger than my sister. It can be tough sometimes following in an elder siblings footsteps.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The 11 / 13 difference really arises from a private "Prep" school for boys vs a state school
Not necessarily. I live in Greater London and spent my primary education at a prep school (and am a woman; my prep school was co-educational like Thomas's) which finished at 11. There were two other prep schools in my local area that also finished at 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I agree Hereditary Princess. I have a feeling that William and Kate will not be sending their children off to boarding school at 8 but will wait until they're older.
I'm glad that there's someone who is on the same page as me.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-25-2017, 04:45 PM
Royal Highness

The advantages of Eton...

After having gone to Eton, William and Harry have a large number of friends from their school days, and that's a good thing. Charles has never struck me as a person who has a lot of friends his own age.

Abraham Lincoln