The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
William went to Wetherbys, the school George was rumored to be going to.

And no, Thomas is not a regular school. Like Wetherbys, it belongs to a group of prepatory schools in London and is known as a feeder school to Eton. The major difference is it is co-educational meaning Charlotte likely will join her brother. It also is a popular feed school to Marlborough, Kate's old school as well as Eugenie which is a good possibility fir Charlotte one day.

Battersea | Thomas's London Day Schools

The school also has afternoon kindergarten programs open to kids once they hit three. It's likely possible Charlotte will start, like George did, at three.

Day fees are about 6100 a term according to Tattler
Thomas's, Battersea - Prep School Fees, Results & Alumni - 2016 Tatler Schools Guide - Tatler
George was two in early 2016.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
William went to Wetherbys, the school George was rumored to be going to.

And no, Thomas is not a regular school. Like Wetherbys, it belongs to a group of prepatory schools in London and is known as a feeder school to Eton. The major difference is it is co-educational meaning Charlotte likely will join her brother. It also is a popular feed school to Marlborough, Kate's old school as well as Eugenie which is a good possibility fir Charlotte one day.

Battersea | Thomas's London Day Schools

The school also has afternoon kindergarten programs open to kids once they hit three. It's likely possible Charlotte will start, like George did, at three.

Day fees are about 6100 a term according to Tattler
Thomas's, Battersea - Prep School Fees, Results & Alumni - 2016 Tatler Schools Guide - Tatler

George is coming 4 ..will be interesting to see if he stays here for the duration and if Charlotte joins him which I would think she would. Be nice to have them at the same school.

LaRae

Old 03-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
With Charlotte being over 2 years old when George starts going to school, I can bet my last banana that she'll want to go with him.

It would be kind of neat to have Charlotte enrolled in the same school as her brother as then he'll be able to "show her the ropes" so to speak and she'll always know that "big brother" is around to protect her. Or, if Charlotte is the go getter that she seems to be, bail her out of trouble when she needs it.

Going to the same school I think will create an even bigger bond between siblings.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Good choice. I hope George get to meet and make friends with kids of different backgrounds and get a good quality education possible.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-24-2017, 01:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt
Message on Prince George's new school's website: "The Thomas's website is receiving a very high volume of traffic".
Old 03-24-2017, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure they will experience an uptick in enrollment or inquiries.

LaRae
Old 03-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
George is coming 4 ..will be interesting to see if he stays here for the duration and if Charlotte joins him which I would think she would. Be nice to have them at the same school.

LaRae
The school is 4-13. It is quite likely that George would remain there until Eton. William changed schools at eight.

The school has a kindergarten program though which starts at three. But like the Montessori school George attended, kids can start earlier. They have to be two and a half when they start. Charlotte won't be until October. So we may see her join her big brother in January.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:32 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt
Message on Prince George's new school's website: "The Thomas's website is receiving a very high volume of traffic".
As it to be excepted v
Old 03-24-2017, 03:18 PM
Heir Apparent

It looks like an engaging school! I'm enjoying how wrong the leaks and speculation were
Old 03-24-2017, 03:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Me to AdmirerUS. They don't know what they think they do.

LaRae
Old 03-24-2017, 03:40 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Interesting choice but i suspect part of the decision came down to the fact the school is co-ed and Charlotte will be able to join her brother at the school.

Everyone has assumed that George will go to Eton after but can we really be certain, William and Kate have shown they want to bring their children up "their" way not necessarily the "royal" traditional way

Old 03-24-2017, 04:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipsi View Post
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have announced that Prince George will attend Thomas's Battersea School in London from September 2017.

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...04518615207936

George is growing up :')

Great choice of a co-ed school
Old 03-24-2017, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Interesting choice but i suspect part of the decision came down to the fact the school is co-ed and Charlotte will be able to join her brother at the school.

Everyone has assumed that George will go to Eton after but can we really be certain, William and Kate have shown they want to bring their children up "their" way not necessarily the "royal" traditional way
I agree. I am intruiged in the choice of school too as it wasn't on my mental list of potential schools for George (and eventually Charlotte). I've never heard of the school before but it appears that it's a chain of schools as there are a few more. Now we know where George will spend his primary education, it will be interesting to see where he will go to secondary school when the time comes. However, it might also be interesting to note that Thomas's finishes at 13 which suggest that it's a feeder school for the public schools like Eton that start at that age. That's not to say that George will definitely go to Eton; but it seems like William and Catherine have plans to send him there or a similar school.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-24-2017, 05:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I agree. I am intruiged in the choice of school too as it wasn't on my mental list of potential schools for George (and eventually Charlotte). I've never heard of the school before but it appears that it's a chain of schools as there are a few more. Now we know where George will spend his primary education, it will be interesting to see where he will go to secondary school when the time comes. However, it might also be interesting to note that Thomas's finishes at 13 which suggest that it's a feeder school for the public schools like Eton that start at that age. That's not to say that George will definitely go to Eton; but it seems like William and Catherine have plans to send him there or a similar school.
Most UK primary schools end at age 13 or 11, so nothing unique there.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Most UK primary schools end at age 13 or 11, so nothing unique there.
Yes, but I'm more familiar with children finishing at 11 so for me personally 13 seems like an unusual finishing age unless the child in question is going to go on to a secondary school that starts at that age. Perhaps for you it's different, but for me it's not, which is why I posted what I did. It's just a simple observation that wasn't meant to be read into too much...

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-24-2017, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Best Friends are banned at this school?

What happens if two children form a close friendship? They are then separated?
Old 03-24-2017, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I agree Hereditary Princess. I have a feeling that William and Kate will not be sending their children off to boarding school at 8 but will wait until they're older.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Best Friends are banned at this school?

What happens if two children form a close friendship? They are then separated?
I seem to recall reading about a similar school and can't really remember who it was that attended. Maybe Kate?

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that close friendships are encouraged but they discourage becoming a twosome unit who hang out together all the time and promote being on good and friendly terms with everyone and to be involved with all of your friends rather than be exclusive. I would imagine it builds up being able to work as a team with other people.

Then again, I could be way off base on this.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Good choice. I hope George get to meet and make friends with kids of different backgrounds and get a good quality education possible.
Given the fees being charged the background won't be that varied - all rich, upper class kids. Remember that for many people the annual fees will be more than their annual salary.

If he was going to a local state school he might met a range of people from different backgrounds but he will stick to his own class (as did William with Diana's choice of schools for him - upper class rich kids).

He doesn't need that good an education - his life is mapped out for him. He can fail everything and still end up as the Head of State - sad fact but the reality.

I would hope that he is encouraged to do his best but he will know very early on that it will make no difference to his life outcome.

I hope he learns to read and write - something that many British kids can't do that well based on international rankings (and I know Australia is about the same with standards dropping so badly that what was taught in Year 3 when I started teaching in 1980 is now the standard we expect of Year 7 kids).

This choice doesn't surprise me as it was clear from very early on that William and Kate were going to do things differently to how they were done in the past.

I am expecting that neither child will go to boarding school. There are many excellent day private schools in London that also cost and arm and a leg so why send them to boarding school at all?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:41 PM
Heir Apparent

It's quite possible that William could be King by the time George is ready for Eton or Marlborough. Even if William isn't King, both his and Kate's schedule will be quite heavy by that point. They may feel that boarding school will give the kids a bit of independence. If George is at Eton that's just a short walk to Windsor Castle.