The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2019, 06:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I went to Wycombe and loved it but is isn't for everyone
I could not agree more. It is a lovely school, and will only work if Charlotte turns out to be an academically gifted and hardworking student.

Quote:
.......and to my knowledge no member of the BRF has gone there. It tries to have a lot with Eton (including asking if Eton was going to give an extended break for the Rugby). It is consistently extremely high the league tables.

Whilst no member of the BRF may have gone to WA, W&C have demonstrated their willingness to think outside the traditional royal choices when it comes to schooling for their children.

Quote:
I think single sex may play a part but private vs state will have been decided.
I can't see the Cambridge children being sent to a state funded school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I agree about Prince William"s French. It is cringe worthy. I will never understand why his parents -Charles in particular with his virtually flawless French-permitted this. He will be the first British heir to the throne in modern Royal history who is not bi-lingual and the only Heir among his peers who is not.
Might it be that currently, for a large number of Britons, being able to speak another European language is just not considered a key skill? Many more people around the world now speak English, and as the world appears to have come closer together linguistically, the importance of speaking languages has declined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Co-ed is not about convenience, especially if they are boarding students. There are many high achieving academic co-ed schools. Cheltenham College which you mentioned is one of them. It went full co-ed in 1998.

No, the closest would Lady Nicholas Windsor who attended but of course she married into the family.

If we are going to limit the choices to ones already attended:

all girls:

-Benenden: Princess Anne, and among non Brits Basma and Alia of Jordan
-Heathfield: Alexandra (first British princess to go to boarding school)
and Lady Helen Taylor. Countess Snowdon also attended
-St Mary's Ascott- Lady Louise, Marguerita Armstrong-Jones, Lady Amelia and Marina Windsor
-Down House: Gabriella Windsor. Kate (though this would be a tick against it for Charlotte as Kate hated it there).
-St George's Ascot-Beatrice, Davina and Rose

all boys: Really the only option would be Eton as all of the royal men who have been to all boys schools have gone here in senior royals. The Dukes of Kent and Gloucester with their sons and grandsons have attended. William and Harry of course. The grandsons of Princess Margaret. Prince Michael and his son. Alexandra's son James.

co-ed:
-Gordonstoun: Charles, Andrew, Edward, Zara, Peter, Philip, also popular among the Mountbatten family. Lady Helen also went there
-Marlborough-Princess Eugenie, Kate

Nothing saying they wont choose one of the other top schools in the country. Many top schools to choose from.
As I mentioned in a previous post, William & Catherine have been quite open to not following the royal precedent when it comes to choosing schools for their children.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I'm not surprised that the Cambridges have chosen St. Thomas's for Charlotte as well. It will be sweet to see her join her brother at school.
As for secondary schools, I always thought that the Cambridges would do the usual route and choose a school such as Eton for George (and eventually Louis) and Marlborough for Charlotte, though now they'll be at the same prep school together they may wish to continue them attending the same school into their secondary years. It all depends on the different academic abilities of the children and own personal school experiences with secondary education IMO.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-13-2019, 06:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I went to Wycombe and loved it but is isn't for everyone and to my knowledge no member of the BRF has gone there. It tries to have a lot with Eton (including asking if Eton was going to give an extended break for the Rugby). It is consistently extremely high the league tables.

I think single sex may play a part but private vs state will have been decided.
I lived next to WA for a number of years as I worked in the area. It was considered for Princess Anne but discounted on a security front. Which I can see as part of it backs on to the exit from M40. I would think it's a no. They will be better, if boarding, to go somewhere more rural. Eton seems a bit to exposed too if I am honest but you can obviously spot suspicious sorts there it is so quiet.

Anyhow I actually don't see them boarding till prep, which is 13. William and George went at 8 but Bea and Eug didn't go till, later but occasionally did flexy boarding and Louise and James don't at all. I would think, given the future workload of Kate and William, that they will board eventually though.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Beatrice didn't board at secondary level at all. She was a day pupil at St George's as Ascot, which is very close to Royal Lodge, throughout her secondary schooling. Eugenie went to Marlborough.

I remember reading, shortly after it was announced that Catherine was pregnant, that she said she would not be sending her children to boarding schools. There are excellent private schools in London and some not far from KP e.g. Westminster School isn't that far and they could just as easily be day students there as board somewhere where they have little contact with their parents.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm glad they aren't going to send them to boarding schools....frankly I don't understand why it is a good idea to ship your children off and only see them X times a year.

LaRae
Old 04-13-2019, 08:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Beatrice didn't board at secondary level at all. She was a day pupil at St George's as Ascot, which is very close to Royal Lodge, throughout her secondary schooling. Eugenie went to Marlborough.

I remember reading, shortly after it was announced that Catherine was pregnant, that she said she would not be sending her children to boarding schools. There are excellent private schools in London and some not far from KP e.g. Westminster School isn't that far and they could just as easily be day students there as board somewhere where they have little contact with their parents.
Beatrice was a flexible boarder. She stayed there sometimes if everyone was away which I get as I don't see it is a nice experience for children to come home solely for staff so both her and Eugenie sometimes stayed in earlier years...but they were older not 8. Eugenie then obviously boarded for Marlborough at 13. Beatrice may have opted to board then too as she was 15 and with parents away a lot and sister in boarding school it may have been lonely experience to be home.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I'm glad they aren't going to send them to boarding schools....frankly I don't understand why it is a good idea to ship your children off and only see them X times a year.

LaRae
That may change with time. Both William and Catherine went to boarding school when they were kids. I don't think they will go before teens, but I would be surprised if the boys didn't go to Eton.

Boarding school makes sense especially for senior royals. When William and Kate are prince and princess of Wales they will be away a lot. When the kids are in school they will not be able to travel with them. If the kids are going to be home for days with nannies, it makes just as much sense for boarding school. If they go to a nearby boarding school, they can often be home on weekends and such. A flex boarding program would also be a good option.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Was it a direct quite from the Duchess that you read or was it speculation by the Press?

I agree with you that there are excellent secondary day schools in London. If either of the boys is academic enough to make it to Westminster, they will be very lucky and receive a fantastic education. However, my guess is that the Cambridge children will all board from age 13 for the boys and 11 for Charlotte. Depending on how academic the children turn out to be, Malborough may be a strong contender for all three of them. Alternatively, I guess Eton, Harrow and Wycombe Abbey will be contenders.