The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-09-2017, 12:19 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm guessing Prince George already has a refined palate.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:29 PM
Serene Highness

Interesting. Nobody brought food from home then, like we do here in the Netherlands.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I think he does. According to one report I've read, George's palate tends to favor Italian as in pizza and pasta (though I swear I've read somewhere it was termed as spaghetti).

Kate Middleton reveals Prince George's favourite food
Old 09-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Interesting. Nobody brought food from home then, like we do here in the Netherlands.
That still happens here in the U.S. however less now than years ago. Depending on where you live many kids qualify for free or reduced cost lunches from the school.

LaRae
Old 09-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Why would you think that? William and Kate evidently cook most of their own food...not like they have a French Chef serving Foie Gras and Escargot ....my bet is he is a typical kid eating at least some typical kid food.

LaRae
Old 09-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Why would you think that? William and Kate evidently cook most of their own food...not like they have a French Chef serving Foie Gras and Escargot ....my bet is he is a typical kid eating at least some typical kid food.

LaRae
Exactly. Even the queen eats quite simply except for big occasions. The royals don't live on lobster and caviar. I believe the queen even has Tupperware. Kids are kids. Pizza, chicken fingers and spaghetti are likely top of his list (well for western kids).
Old 09-09-2017, 01:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Balanced healthy meals like that cost a lot of money. Unfortunately many schools cant afford such menus. Unless they charge students huge prices. Private schools have the benefit of the funds.

I never went to an elementary school that offered hot meals. We had pizza day or hot dog day a few times a year when the food was ordered in. It was actually only in grade 11-12 I went to a school with a cafeteria. And it was because my school had a culinary arts program and it was part of the class. We had a mix. There were things like salads and sandwiches, and a fast food option every day depended on day (pizza, hamburger), and poutine. But then the culinary arts class project which was anything from full roast beef lunch to some kind of pasta. Depended on what they were studying at the time.
It takes the country investing in the education system again. Kids learn better when they are eating more nutritional meals at home and in school.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-09-2017, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It takes the country investing in the education system again. Kids learn better when they are eating more nutritional meals at home and in school.
There's been millions and millions of dollars thrown into the public school systems the past 2 or 3 decades...still not solving the problem.

As far as lunch meals specifically...Jamie Oliver did that series where he tried to help schools improve their lunch menus...interesting watching if you haven't seen it.

LaRae
Old 09-09-2017, 02:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
There's been millions and millions of dollars thrown into the public school systems the past 2 or 3 decades...still not solving the problem.

As far as lunch meals specifically...Jamie Oliver did that series where he tried to help schools improve their lunch menus...interesting watching if you haven't seen it.

LaRae
I'm not sure about that. Investment in education in this country is lacking tremendously.

I have seen the series. What Jamie has done to some schools lunch menus is beyond brilliant.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-09-2017, 02:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I'm not sure about that. Investment in education in this country is lacking tremendously.

I have seen the series. What Jamie has done to some schools lunch menus is beyond brilliant.
I'm pretty sure about it..anyone can research that out. See where the millions and millions of dollars are being spent/have been spent. More money is not the answer.

Until it's sorted out, any parent that can should look at alternative options to public schools IMO (private, charter, homeschool etc).

IIRC I think the schools Jamie Oliver helped have gone back to the older program at least partly if not completely.

LaRae
Old 09-09-2017, 02:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Balanced healthy meals like that cost a lot of money. Unfortunately many schools cant afford such menus. Unless they charge students huge prices. Private schools have the benefit of the funds.

I never went to an elementary school that offered hot meals. We had pizza day or hot dog day a few times a year when the food was ordered in. It was actually only in grade 11-12 I went to a school with a cafeteria. And it was because my school had a culinary arts program and it was part of the class. We had a mix. There were things like salads and sandwiches, and a fast food option every day depended on day (pizza, hamburger), and poutine. But then the culinary arts class project which was anything from full roast beef lunch to some kind of pasta. Depended on what they were studying at the time.
My elementary school didn't offer cafeteria service, either. We all brought lunch from home and for most of us it was stereotypical 80's fare - white bread sandwiches, some sort of pudding or jello concoction, milk or juice. No one blinked an eye if you had chips or pop. Then right after lunch we went outside and ran around the playground like loons for 40 minutes before class started again and most of us walked or rode our bikes home after school. So we were a pretty fit, healthy bunch in spite of our un-policed dietary choices.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I know that's the truth! These kind of well balanced and nutritious meals should be in every school though.
I'm not so sure.

A local (very expensive private) school offered a full range of hot and cold meals, complete with a well-stocked salad bar.

There was quite a bit of food wasted.
(But the Krispy Kreme doughnut shop on the corner did a rip-roaring business every afternoon!)
Old 09-09-2017, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I'm not so sure.

A local (very expensive private) school offered a full range of hot and cold meals, complete with a well-stocked salad bar.

There was quite a bit of food wasted.
(But the Krispy Kreme doughnut shop on the corner did a rip-roaring business every afternoon!)
Yep exactly. Food choices start at home, if they don't eat like that at home, not likely they will eat like that anywhere else.

LaRae
Old 09-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by akina21 View Post
What's next? He's going to eat in style , see the school lunch?

Quote:
I just had to quote myself
Old 09-09-2017, 06:33 PM
Nobility

Check out this blog post for a sample menu from Thomas's Battersea. It is toward the end of the post:
Duchess Kate: Prince George Arrives Hand in Hand with Prince William for First Day of School!
Old 09-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Hot dog days. Now that brings back memories. Once in a while, at school, we'd have hot dog day where you'd get a hot dog, a bag of chips and a carton of milk for 50 cents. Other than that, living just 4 houses down the block from the school, I went home for lunch every day. All my kids did the same until junior high.

I think its something important, in all schools, to have meals for the kids that are well balanced and healthy rather than foods that cater to kid's taste and are just tummy fillers. It looks like George is going to be eating well. Its also a good environment to go and sit and have lunch with his classmates. Just hope there aren't any really severe food fights.
LOL I was just discussing our hot dog days with my elementary school classmates recently. On Tuesdays the mothers at my Catholic school sold hot dogs and bean and cheese burritos. We could add chips and ice cream too. Milk was brought in every day. Only the public schools offered hot lunch every day.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
LOL I was just discussing our hot dog days with my elementary school classmates recently. On Tuesdays the mothers at my Catholic school sold hot dogs and bean and cheese burritos. We could add chips and ice cream too. Milk was brought in every day. Only the public schools offered hot lunch every day.
Yeah we had little milk fridges in utility rooms between classes. Could get milk or there was a juice option. My mom only let me have chocolate milk once a week. In grade eight we introduced sub sandwich day, instead of pizza or hot dogs. I think we got them every second month or so.

Hot lunch cafeterias more a private school thing here it seems. At least back in the day.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Yeps... it was the same at my Catholic school. My high school had extra wide parking spaces so the teachers could park their dinosaurs.

From all the conversation, it does seem that everything at Thomas's Battersea is run on a top notch level. I think the main problem the William and Kate are probably having right now is a Charlotte that is adamant that she wants to go with George to school. Right now! That happens a lot when the oldest sibling starts school. The younger one feels excluded and wants to do everything her big brother is doing.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Revealed: The ski chalet owned by Prince George’s school in Austria

Prince George’s new school’s ski chalet in Austria revealed
Old 09-12-2017, 08:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Revealed: The ski chalet owned by Prince George’s school in Austria

Prince George’s new school’s ski chalet in Austria revealed
I doubt George will be going to the ski chalet. He would have to have at least two protectors (probably more for round the clock care) with him and the place doesn't look all that big.