The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-27-2017, 06:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
That would be my guess as well.

Unless William and Kate want to send both children to the same school.
But I can't think why they'd do that once the children are older.
It is what 'normal' families do.

I don't even think they will go the boarding school route unless William is King as there are many fine day schools in London and co-ed ones at that.

Kate said some years ago now that she didn't want to send her children to boarding school and I suspect that William would prefer to have them at home as well - a great excuse to not do overseas visits etc during term time limiting any overseas trips to the height of summer when no one really wants to be making overseas official visits - either the Brits sending or countries being visited.

If they did decide on a boarding school my bet would be Marlborough for both as it is co-ed so both could go to the one school rather than two and thus one set of holidays, same culture, shared friends etc.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I also agree with the guesses of Eton for George and Marlborough for Charlotte, although I also doubt that the Cambridges have thought this far ahead since they haven't even started primary school yet. However; Eton and Marlborough seem like the most likely/natural choices for royal children of their position on their respective sexes. When the time comes though, it will be interesting to see whether George and or Charlotte will carry on the tradition of royal children in the immediate family and boarding schools or if they will be sent to a day school somewhere local instead.
Speaking from personal experience and observation, boarding schools are an excellent way for upper class children to make lifelong friends with both other well-to-do kids and scholarship kids as well. There is a real bond formed when you share dorm living and experiences.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-27-2017, 08:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
Traditionally placement to the most sought after (for whatever reason) schools are booked years in advance. While this shouldn't be a problem for George or Charlotte, so no panic(!) I'm sure it has been at least seriously discussed if not actually settled. I'm thing E for George and M for Charlotte.
Agreed. I suspect they have tentatively settled on Eton for George and Marlborough for Charlotte. This can change if William and Catherine believe the respective schools are not the best fit for each child.

I still believe that George and Charlotte will attend boarding schools. By the time they start high school, it is more than likely William and Catherine will be TRF The Prince and Princess of Wales.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:05 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
For all we know, one of the Cambridge kids may show an aptitude of being very musically gifted and W&K will opt to send their child to Julliard in NYC.

I don't think a decision will be made until time passes and the child's aptitudes and interests have a chance to develop. Education should be molded to fit the child rather than the child molded to fit the education for the most part. They'll find the best place possible for their children. That's what parents do.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

I don't even think they will go the boarding school route unless William is King as there are many fine day schools in London and co-ed ones at that.

Kate said some years ago now that she didn't want to send her children to boarding school and I suspect that William would prefer to have them at home as well - a great excuse to not do overseas visits etc during term time limiting any overseas trips to the height of summer when no one really wants to be making overseas official visits - either the Brits sending or countries being visited.

If they did decide on a boarding school my bet would be Marlborough for both as it is co-ed so both could go to the one school rather than two and thus one set of holidays, same culture, shared friends etc.

Yeah the prince if wakes (William) saying he us only going yo work two months a year us going to go over smashingly. After all they are praised for working too hard now

As the heir to the heir he had the luxury now. Not when his dad is king. The government sets these trips. We're not talking booking a hour appointment or family vacation. They are going to be expected to Work. Even if no foreign trip, they will be expected yo travel all over the U.K. They certainly can't sit in London ten months a year and play house.

William will not have the luxury his dad did. He don't have over 15 royals doing engagements. As the kents, Gloucesters, Alexandra, even Anne eventually retire William and Harry have a lot of slack.

They will never be the family yo pick up kids from school and home for dinner every night. It's not even reasonable to consider they will be. If the kids go to day school, there will e many days, outgrow weeks nanny Maria will be doing all that. No sending off to grandma in school year.

Boarding school has

1 good memories for both parents

2 practical purposes for royal life

Like Louise, they will likely stay in dsy school until old enough for Eton or such. But practicality will weigh in here.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Education of the Cambridge Children

I don't see any reason that they have to go to boarding school. Whatever engagements they have they aren't out every night. Most working parents manage without shoving the kids off to boarding school and only seeing them a few weeks a year.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:15 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I have to agree with Countessmeout on boarding school. If it starts around the ages of 12 or 13, its excellent discipline for a young teenager to start depending on himself, being responsible for himself and its a wonderful venue to learn and adapt to self discipline and independence. The child begins to have his own life outside of depending on his parents because of the structure of a boarding school that he needs to adhere to, it prepares him for the structure of adult life to come.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:

Despite their own preferences, I suspect it is too early to decide what the right schools for G&C might be. As their personalities develo, and how they cope with their primary school, W&K can start to think about what the right secondary schools for their children might be.

As regards co-ed secondary schools in London go, there really aren't that many, and most of the top schools tend to be single sex schools. The UK secondary school system is largely based on single sex schools.

Quote:

The school holiday and half term holidays for most independent schools in the UK tend to be closely aligned. As somebody who has brought up children schooled in the independent sector, it has been rare that the holidays have not been largely aligned.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:16 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Speaking from personal experience and observation, boarding schools are an excellent way for upper class children to make lifelong friends with both other well-to-do kids and scholarship kids as well. There is a real bond formed when you share dorm living and experiences.
I can see the benefits of boarding school (not regular private school though - I had the private system fail me twice and am strongly against it as a result). Boarding school will teach George and Charlotte how to become more independent and organised since they will not be living with their parents during term time, and will, as you said, give them strong friendships. I guess for William as Catherine as parents; boarding school also seems like the more natural family choice.
However, I do think there has to be a right kind of personality for boarding school. We never know; William and Catherine may decide that either one of George and Charlotte might not suit boarding school and would succeed more at a day school somewhere local. I would like to think that William and Catherine are more "modern" parents when it comes to their children's education; and will not send them to a certain school because of family tradition but because of how well it will suit the children themselves. I know what it feels like to regret choosing a particular school and I don't want the same to happen to George and Charlotte when the time comes.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-28-2017, 04:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I can see the benefits of boarding school (not regular private school though - I had the private system fail me twice and am strongly against it as a result). Boarding school will teach George and Charlotte how to become more independent and organised since they will not be living with their parents during term time, and will, as you said, give them strong friendships. I guess for William as Catherine as parents; boarding school also seems like the more natural family choice.
However, I do think there has to be a right kind of personality for boarding school. We never know; William and Catherine may decide that either one of George and Charlotte might not suit boarding school and would succeed more at a day school somewhere local. I would like to think that William and Catherine are more "modern" parents when it comes to their children's education; and will not send them to a certain school because of family tradition but because of how well it will suit the children themselves. I know what it feels like to regret choosing a particular school and I don't want the same to happen to George and Charlotte when the time comes.
I have friends and family members who went the boarding school route, all around the ages of 13-14. Some liked it, some didn't. I think what you said about deciding based on the individual child is key. The people I know who rave about their boarding schools were enthusiastic about going to start. Those that had to be pushed - because of "tradition" in the family or various other reasons - had much more mixed experiences.

I think George and Charlotte will grow up in an environment in which boarding school is presented as a positive thing. But if one of them is really not ready or appropriate for that environment I doubt either Kate or William would be inflexible - there are so many wonderful options for education available to their kids.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Of course being American I think it's odd to ship your child off to boarding school...but I know it's 'the thing' with at least a certain percentage of Europeans.

LaRae
Old 08-28-2017, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent

The time George and Charlotte get to the age for boarding school -13. Their parents will be Prince and Princess of Wales or possibly even King & Queen. The structure of boarding school maybe extremely helpful then. W&K can focus on their royal work during the school term and then on their family at holiday breaks.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I would like to think that William and Catherine are more "modern" parents when it comes to their children's education; and will not send them to a certain school because of family tradition but because of how well it will suit the children themselves. I know what it feels like to regret choosing a particular school and I don't want the same to happen to George and Charlotte when the time comes.

I agree; I also think William and Kate will consider their children's wishes.

They won't be implacable and force them to stay where they are thoroughly miserable through some misguided wish of their own (as happened to Charles).

The fact that Kate's parents removed her from a school where she was unhappy bodes well. It shows mistakes can be corrected, and the child doesn't have to suffer until s/he graduates!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Of course being American I think it's odd to ship your child off to boarding school...but I know it's 'the thing' with at least a certain percentage of Europeans.

LaRae
Boarding schools are a big thing only in the UK and in Switzerland and most foreign students come from outside Europe, especially Asia.

Also single sex education. I'm not sure about other European countries, but I've never heard of girls or boys only schools here in Italy. Maybe some private religious school, but I'm not even sure. Even my grandmother who's the DoE's age, attended high school in a mixed class.

What I hope is that, as it's already been said, George and Charlotte will attend a school that fits them and not just because it's name or because it was mommy's or daddy's school.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

I see a mix of tradition, practicality, security and wisdom in the choices these parents have made so far.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince George starts school on 7 September. William and Catherine are taking him and photos will be released
Old 08-29-2017, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I have friends and family members who went the boarding school route, all around the ages of 13-14. Some liked it, some didn't. I think what you said about deciding based on the individual child is key. The people I know who rave about their boarding schools were enthusiastic about going to start. Those that had to be pushed - because of "tradition" in the family or various other reasons - had much more mixed experiences.

I think George and Charlotte will grow up in an environment in which boarding school is presented as a positive thing. But if one of them is really not ready or appropriate for that environment I doubt either Kate or William would be inflexible - there are so many wonderful options for education available to their kids.
It's interesting that those of your friends and relatives who were keen on going to boarding school got on better than those who weren't; but that's expected I guess, unless the child warms up to the school once they go there. Coming from a working class family, boarding school wasn't on our radars for a long time and we still have yet to send a relative to one. (Myself and my older cousin were the first to attend private school; and my grandmother got into the local grammar school but had to go to the local state school instead because she couldn't afford the uniform.)

George and Charlotte however will have a totally different experience of boarding school - they will know many who have been sent to one and, as you have said, will get to hear of many positive boarding school experiences.

Quote:
I agree; I also think William and Kate will consider their children's wishes.

They won't be implacable and force them to stay where they are thoroughly miserable through some misguided wish of their own (as happened to Charles).

The fact that Kate's parents removed her from a school where she was unhappy bodes well. It shows mistakes can be corrected, and the child doesn't have to suffer until s/he graduates!
I agree. I think Charles's experience at Gordonstoun will be a factor of the Cambridge children's secondary school choices - naturally one is biased towards a particular school if they have had a negative experience of it or knows someone close to them who had a negative experience of it. Should George and Charlotte ever struggle at school; I also agree with you that Catherine's own experience indicates that they will be re-schooled as promptly as possible.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
(Myself and my older cousin were the first to attend private school; and my grandmother got into the local grammar school but had to go to the local state school instead because she couldn't afford the uniform.)

What is the view in the UK about Grammar schools?
I know Teresa May is a big fan but many others disapprove.

Are they something on the order of Charter schools in the USA? Some are critical because they say Charter schools cherry-pick the kids, and the ones they don't take are worse off because the brightest students are gone.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
What is the view in the UK about Grammar schools?
I know Teresa May is a big fan but many others disapprove.

Are they something on the order of Charter schools in the USA? Some are critical because they say Charter schools cherry-pick the kids, and the ones they don't take are worse off because the brightest students are gone.
A lot of people think that they still encourage snobbery and aren't as equal as they are made out to be; though there are a small amount of others who are in favour of them for a number of reasons, but one being that they can give poor bright children a better opportunity (which is not necessarily true because there are some brilliant state schools out there - people just don't give them enough praise). Some also think that grammar schools don't give children enough support, because in a lot of grammar schools homework is just note taking from class because the teacher just explains the work in the lesson and expects the pupils to get on with it (or at least, this is an experience that an old maths teacher of mine had with her daughter's grammar school).

Grammar schools are free, but you have to sit an entrance exam to attend one and pass the 11+ and regional test for your area (it's "The Kent test" where I am since I live in Greater London, but it varies). Often the brightest pupils in the area go to them. They are very tough; for example, at one local grammar school for me, a B is a bad grade. Classical subjects like Latin and Greek are taught for languages alongside the more regular French, Spanish, Italian.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:13 PM
Royal Highness

A grammar school would be a very "middle ground" for the Cambridge children, they would get to say they are attending a "State school" i.e. not a fee paying school while still being in a good school with high academic standards.
It would all depend though on whether the children were academic enough to attend, not only if they are 'bright enough' but also an independent school like Eaton or Marlborough (to name just two) may offer more extra curricula activities if George/Charlotte are more sporty or arty.
Equally grammar schools are something of a "political hot potato" so W&K would likely avoid them, but if the issue settles down (Grammar schools are still prevalent where I live with little comment or outrage and I say that as a teacher) it could be an option.