Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Story is behind a paywall. Maybe someone can provide more details.

PRINCE WILLIAM is to devote himself to championing the cause of young people who suffer bullying or mental illness. He has asked his aides to help him establish what he sees as his defining role until he becomes king.

The prince, who began work as an air ambulance helicopter pilot last month, will continue with his royal duties but believes he should focus on helping young people when he leaves the job in about two years’ time.

He will scale down his emergency work as Prince Charles takes more royal duties from the Queen, with William in a supporting role.
Prince flies to aid of troubled youths | The Sunday Times

Last edited:
The British People are going to someday have a king that knows the people. In working directly with the people many ordinary people will be coming in contact with him during these times that he is working and that makes a positive impression on the ordinary people. There is no better way for the monarchy to survive then to have a king who understands and works for and with the people. IMO I see William as being a very wise young man who really thinks things through not just for today but for the future of the kingdom, you could not ask more a this young man.

I guess you could call both Will and Harry the get down and get dirty type of guys. They're definitely not figurehead kind of guys but guys that like to know the ins and outs of things and experience it for themselves. Perhaps they learned "practice what you preach" from their dad eh? :D

doubt it. Id say they got the "get down and dirty" gene from Mama....

and I do not believe he will be managing the Duchy but rather living well from it's income.

Last edited:
William meets very few people in his job.

If he worked as a royal rather than a private person, he would encounter more people from more walks of life.

William meets very few people in his job.

If he worked as a royal rather than a private person, he would encounter more people from more walks of life.
Well. Here he actually MEET the people on a level that he doesn't as a royal. Yes, he encounters more people as a royal (although, in his line of work he encounters his fair share) but as a royal you say a few words and are nice but you don't get to know the people. In his job he works alongside "normal folks" and will here the talk around the lunch-table etc which is a kind of "watching in it's natural habitat" he doesn't get when visiting something in his royal role. This is probably the same reason he has slept on streets with the homeless, worked 2 weeks in a castle or something like that etc. I think he likes to immerse himself in enviorments outside his royal bubble.

Well. Here he actually MEET the people on a level that he doesn't as a royal. Yes, he encounters more people as a royal (although, in his line of work he encounters his fair share) but as a royal you say a few words and are nice but you don't get to know the people. In his job he works alongside "normal folks" and will here the talk around the lunch-table etc which is a kind of "watching in it's natural habitat" he doesn't get when visiting something in his royal role. This is probably the same reason he has slept on streets with the homeless, worked 2 weeks in a castle or something like that etc. I think he likes to immerse himself in enviorments outside his royal bubble.

That statement is putting it all neatly into perspective. Day to day interactions with the people he works with and comes into contact with as William the man and not HRH The Duke of Cambridge. Even those among us that will most likely never see or meet William in person can get the feeling that this is a man that sees the world basically as we do at ground level and not a lofty view from an ivory tower. It just seems to make him more approachable.

Diana Award ‏@DianaAward
Check out the @thesundaytimes story on the Duke's future role helping young victims of bullying & what @Ttall said!

https://twitter.com/DianaAward/status/630291173408645120

I think bullying is a cause that both William and Kate share a passion for. Beatbullying was one of the charites selected by the couple for donations to be made to in lieu of gifts at the time of their wedding. That organization has been shut down from what I've seen so I'm happy to see William finding another way to bring attention to this cause.

More from the Sunday Times article

Prince William will soon be expected to scale up his royal duties as his father, Prince Charles, 66, begins helping out his ageing mother Queen Elizabeth II more actively in her royal duties.

In preparation for his future role, Prince William, 33, has asked his aides to help him establish how he can champion the cause of young people who suffer bullying or mental illness, 'The Sunday Times' reported.

The prince, who began work as an air ambulance helicopter pilot last month, will continue with his royal duties but believes he should focus on helping young people when he leaves the job in about two years' time.

"He has spent a lot of time over the past couple of years, away from the public eye, visiting young people who are struggling to cope.

"When he spends time with them, he finds that, partly based on his own experiences, he is able to connect deeply with them," the newspaper quoted a royal aide as saying.

William has expressed particular interest in helping those suffering from depression, breakdowns, cyber-bullying and homophobic bullying, and is said to be concerned about the number of young gay men committing suicide.

It is thought he is also keen to help young people struggling with loss and grief.

The prince has asked The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, the charitable vehicle he shares with his wife and brother, to identify charities and campaigns that could benefit from his support.

His memory of losing his mother, Princess Diana, in a car crash in 1997, when he was 15, is understood to have influenced his decision.
Prince William to help troubled youth | Zee News

Thank you for the articles everyone. I agree that William has the opportunity to actually engage with his fellow citizens who are not courtiers, staff or protection officers on a daily basis with his former SAR and now EAAA roles. Otherwise his encounters are quite different when people are on their best behavior meeting HRH the Duke of Cambridge and following a scripted scenario.

Reminds me of when the late Queen Juliana mentioned that every place she visited on her public engagements "Smelled of new paint." Wanting to have a more true to life encounter with the patronages she supported she began making private visits to the places to engage with the public in a different way. IMO this is what William and Harry would like to do before their roles require them to perform the typical royal duties on a full time basis.

Last edited:
I'm so happy that William will bring more attention to bullying. Having been bullied, I know the feelings of shame, and at times, helplessness that goes along with the experience, and sadly, many schools ignore the reports of the incidents, or don't label them as 'bullying'. Hopefully, His Highness, along with his wife can help establish more anti-bullying programs, as well as those that help the victims.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I suspected that William's new job in the Air Ambulance will be short and his royal roles and duties are on its way to increasing. I'm looking forward to seeing what lies ahead.

The BRF always have one eye on the future. Preparations are always ongoing because members can't be caught off-guard.

The secretary for the Duchy of Cornwall said William is briefed and kept up to date because they never know when the succession is going to happen.

William expanding the charitable efforts of the Royal Foundation is part of this preparation.

Last edited:
The BRF always have one eye on the future. Preparations are always ongoing because members can't be caught off-guard.

The secretary for the Duchy of Cornwall said William is briefed and kept up to date because they never know when the succession is going to happen.

William expanding the charitable efforts of the Royal Foundation is part of this preparation.

That's pretty much how I'm looking at this particular bit of news. He is expanding his charity work, while still keeping his current job. No reason he can't do both at this point. I'm sure when it'll be necessary, he will become a full-time Royal. I don't see the need to rush it at this point.

I agree. This shows that they are covering all forseeable futures. He could well be third in line for another 10 years or it could change tomorrow. It would make no sense to have him on pause until then but it makes all sense to have a well grounded royal side as well in case that is needed very soon. I think they have their bases covered.

It's good to be prepared and I think this news is great.

I'm so happy that William will bring more attention to bullying. Having been bullied, I know the feelings of shame, and at times, helplessness that goes along with the experience, and sadly, many schools ignore the reports of the incidents, or don't label them as 'bullying'. Hopefully, His Highness, along with his wife can help establish more anti-bullying programs, as well as those that help the victims.

I am sorry to hear of your experience's Daria S. How are you doing now,?

As do I. Factor in I was the first Visually Impaired/Legally Blind Student at my High School, among other Medical Issues, along w/the Principal and more than a few Teachers being as Jon Stewart would say...Douchebags, and that's being extremely polite I might add, about how the other kids took advantage of my limited vision... It is both amazing that I didn't have a complete Mental Breakdown *and/or* end up in a Wheelchair thanks to how many times I had "assisted" trips down the stairs and into lockers.

I always say I did not Graduate High School. I Survived it!!

I also firmly believe one thing. If we really want to make a change in fighting this issue, we need to call it what it is. Bullying is just an excuse word/label AFAIC. I was never bullied. I was Emotionally, Mentally and Physically Abused. Even now I hear people say, "Oh, that's just a normal part of growing up." when this issue comes up. I truly believe if we call it what it is, abuse, then we will finally make headway towards the end of what goes on our schools and Society.

Hopefully William taking on this issue will do just that. The other kids he went to school w/had to have great "delight" in using the details they saw in the papers from The War of the Waleses to make William's life, at the very least, miserable. Add on Diana's tragic death and...

This one issue is one he has intimate knowledge of and can make a very real difference in. I only hope William can, because he is sadly fighting an uphill battle due to how entrenched, in my words, kids abusing kids being a normal part of childhood and school still is in so many people's minds.

I wish William all the luck in the World on this one. We've lost too many due to what having to deal day in and day out w/the sheer Hell school is for them. This has to end!!

As do I. Factor in I was the first Visually Impaired/Legally Blind Student at my High School, among other Medical Issues, along w/the Principal and more than a few Teachers being as Jon Stewart would say...Douchebags, and that's being extremely polite I might add, about how the other kids took advantage of my limited vision... It is both amazing that I didn't have a complete Mental Breakdown *and/or* end up in a Wheelchair thanks to how many times I had "assisted" trips down the stairs and into lockers.

I also firmly believe one thing. If we really want to make a change in fighting this issue, we need to call it what it is. Bullying is just an excuse word/label AFAIC. I was never bullied. I was Emotionally, Mentally and Physically Abused. Even now I hear people say, "Oh, that's just a normal part of growing up." when this issue comes up. I truly believe if we call it what it is, abuse, then we will finally make headway towards the end of what goes on our schools and Society.

Hopefully William taking on this issue will do just that. The other kids he went to school w/had to have great "delight" in using the details they saw in the papers from The War of the Waleses to make William's life, at the very least, miserable. Add on Diana's tragic death and...

This one issue is one he has intimate knowledge of and can make a very real difference in. I only hope William can, because he is sadly fighting an uphill battle due to how entrenched, in my words, kids abusing kids being a normal part of childhood and school still is in so many people's minds.

I wish William all the luck in the World on this one. We've lost too many due to what having to deal day in and day out w/the sheer Hell school is for them. This has to end!!

I agree! I myself was bullied (although not physically) and am dealing with mental illness so them taking up such issues touches me very deeply. Britain and the Royal family has had a policy of "keep calm and carry on" and that's all well and good, but I have been very moved by William talking about how poignant it is to talk! Talk about traumas! Talk about loss! etc.

I believe Catherine dealt with being bullied in school.

Are there any kids who aren't bullied? I don't know that I have ever met someone who wasn't in some form or fashion.

LaRae

Are there any kids who aren't bullied? I don't know that I have ever met someone who wasn't in some form or fashion.

LaRae

Well, kids have taken being bullies to a different level these days. These kids have the devil in them.

LaRae
That is a way of simplifying it. The thing is, the bullies feel bad as well. They usually have a bad homesituation instead where they have no control so they assert control in the only place they can. Most people have probably felt like an outsider or bullied, but it is a difference between people bein mean a week and people being mean for years. And there are also different levels. Plus, adults bully too! I think this is a very important topic that will build self esteem and hinder people becoming "rejects". I think it's shoving it under the rug to just say "well, everyone get's bullied a little in school!"

I had an assistant principal of my high school tell me that if I would have kept my mouth shut, then I won't have any issues. Now, mind you, all I did that time was defend an elderly teacher, in hopes of preventing a prank, which involved the kids hiding under desks in the darkened classroom. I have a visual impairment too, and being in a darkened classroom made me feel extremely unsafe, but when I tried to explain that, along with the fact that the teacher didn't have to teach our class, and could have the last period off, but took us on since we were the advanced placement section, I was told by a classmate that my purpose in life was to be the butt of jokes, and malicious pranks. I sincerely detested school, due to incidents like these, that occurred more often than not. The worst part though, is that people feel that stuff like this builds character, while, perhaps it does in a way, it can also lead to permanent psychological damage. In my case, since the bullying went on in university, then again at my former place of employment, It brought me to a diagnosis of PTSD. I guess for this reason, I always made sure that any bullying in my classroom was nipped in the rear. Now, yes, I had preschoolers, but they can be pretty nasty too. I had a student who enjoyed making other kids cry. According to his parents, he did it to his sister at home too. I cannot tell you how many times I had to pull this boy aside, and tell him in no uncertain terms that he was being hurtful. I think I was even harder in him when he picked on the kids that had a visual impairment, because I never want to see a child go through what I went through. I sincerely hope that with William, and Catherine working to battle this nastiness, something will change. No one, child, or adult, should have to feel physically ill at the thought of going to a place that is supposed to be safe.

LaRae

Sadly, today, bullying is everywhere, and due to social media, it can practically follow a person around all day long, with no interruptions. What worries me more, is the fact that this is happening not just in schools, but in places of employment. There's little support for those who are going through this, because many psychologists will sit there, and start telling the person who is bullied that it's his/her social skills that are the issues. Now, what if this person has never been able to form proper social skills due to negative social interactions, and bullying? Where do,we stop with blaming the person who is being hurt, and starting to actually help that person to heal? I don't care what anyone tells me, but bullying/physical/emotional abuse should not be a part of anyone's experience growing up, or beyond. It doesn't build character, but sadly, destroys it. In any case, really looking forward to seeing what this couple will do to make the situation better, even if it's raising awareness, because every little bit helps.

Prince Charles was bullied in school.

He had to endure years of being bullied and no one came to his aid.

There it might have been a similar scenario as to what happened when the future George V entered the Navy. The boys always took advantage of him and his brother because they knew it was their only chance to do it, because when they went back hame and got older, George and his brother would be proper British princes while the other boys would still be in the Navy.

This kind of thing infuriates me. I know that when Charles went to school there was different outlook on bullying, but the fact that even his parents refused to have him change schools is heartbreaking. No matter what circumstances a person comes from, there is no excuse for this behavior. A person is a person first, whether a royal, or a pauper, and doesn't deserve to be picked on, tormented, etc.

That is where His mother made her biggest mistakes... She let Phillip make all the decisions concerning the children and never intervened. The queen mother wrote letters pleading on Charles behalf but still she refused to intercede.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom