Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure I remember reading somewhere that he was donating the salary to another charity not the air ambulance.

Actually, you are absolutely correct. It was just clarified recently and I must have missed it. :D

"The palace has said that William will donate his annual salary – reported to be around $60,000 – to an undisclosed charity. He is splitting his training between Cambridge, Norwich and Staverton in Gloucestershire, the home base for Bond Air Services, the company that directly employs him."

Prince William: Returns to Work as Air Ambulance Pilot : People.com

I'm sure glad I have all you folks to keep me on my toes.

So, they just want to work in regular positions alongside everyone else. I hope they can share the comedy and experience the patience the regular working world experiences. One time I was waiting tables in a steakhouse, this guy takes a credit card all cut up and puts it in his food, that wasn't that way when it was served, complains and gets a free meal. I cannot share the rest because those jobs required confidentiality due to the jobs medical involvement, besides, when it is medical it is all medical, nothing is funny. So Duke William gets a view of the regular world he really isn't a part of, but his skill sets are, he has it easy from a social point of view because there isn't one. I don't know what Prince Henry is going to be doing, but when you work, whatever it is you do, it is all about the job. Working is like a hobby, the skill set the tool, the education is the entertainment, the job itself like the payment, the payment the sustaining result that provides basic necessity. So, Duke William is donating his 60 grand salary from being a medic. You gotta be really well off financially to just give that kind of money away like that. He must really love to learn and use what he learned like a need to do so. I can understand being a free medic, but, giving away 60 grand a year is not something I am able to fathom. It's great that he's doing that though.

He isn't a medic. He is the helicopter pilot like he was in the RAF for Search and Rescue. It's just for a civilian air ambulance instead of the military which outsourced search and rescue. He already knows how to fly. He just had to pass tests to get a civilian license and now he is training on the specific helicopter he is going to use.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I believe my post is being bashed for saying William is "just the pilot". I didn't use the words just the pilot. The prior post said he was a medic. My response is he is a helicopter pilot. That is his primary job to fly the helicopter. He may have to help more with patient treatment with the air ambulance but it going to be the under the direction of a doctor or paramedic. William isn't going to putt the down the helicopter on the highway and jump out and start directing the treatment.

In the SAR with the RAF, it is the winchman who is the some medical first aid training to help the victim and once they are both on board. The winch operator helps with the first aid. The pilots don't help because their job is to get the helicopter to the hospital asap.

ooooh, ok, thanks for the fyi. He just drives a plane. Well, that's nice. It's such a well paid position, isn't it? My husband is a medic, now that is a seriously important job. Here the pilots of the medic aircraft are also medics, so the difference of one flying medic transport but not being a medic is odd. I read an article that Duke William saved someone out at sea, so I assumed he was a medic. Just a pilot, really, that's something I didn't know.

Skippyboo-I believe it is this post that has been the subject of discussion over the phrase "Just a pilot".

We don't know and probably never will know exactly what William's level of medical training (if any) is. I think the most important thing to keep in mind here is that when the alarm is raised, its not a medic, a wincher or a pilot that goes out on the call. Its a team. A squad. They depend on each other to do what they do and get the job done.

Wow, just wow

I am a doctor and I can tell you that air ambulance pilots are not "just pilots" or " only flying the chopper" to their colleagues or the patients they transport. Different countries have different requirements for their pilots so I wont comment on William's level of medical training.
Just because he doesnt have the same level of medical training as the medics does not mean what he does is less important. Just like most medics dont need to know how to fly a chopper, doesnt make them " just medics".
Unless you have flown a helicopter with a dying patient on it, you have no idea what it entails.

I hate it when people belittle the role that other people play when saving patient lives. Its not just us doctors, we couldnt function without the paramedics, nurses, allied health, radiology or the pilots who get the patients to us within the "golden hour".

William loves flying and being able to do what you love while helping save a life is a priceless feeling.

So he will not be " just a pilot" or "just flying the chopper" , he, like the rest of his team will be saving lives.

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of other members of the BRF-let alone heirs in the line of succession-who actively worked to literally save people's lives, besides those who were soldiers. I commend Prince William for the fine work he's doing. This is a very high calling IMO.:flowers:

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of other members of the BRF-let along heirs in the line of succession-who actively worked to literally save people's lives, besides those who were soldiers. I commend Prince William for the fine work he's doing. This is a very high calling IMO.:flowers:

Princess Alexandra undertook a nursing course at Great Ormond St. BUt gave it up when HMQ needed support with royal duties.

I agree with you re that this is great work and HighnessN has really put in in perspective.

Criticism of his decision seems so strange to me. He is serving the public and should be commended

Wow, just wow

I am a doctor and I can tell you that air ambulance pilots are not "just pilots" or " only flying the chopper" to their colleagues or the patients they transport. Different countries have different requirements for their pilots so I wont comment on William's level of medical training.
Just because he doesnt have the same level of medical training as the medics does not mean what he does is less important. Just like most medics dont need to know how to fly a chopper, doesnt make them " just medics".
Unless you have flown a helicopter with a dying patient on it, you have no idea what it entails.

I hate it when people belittle the role that other people play when saving patient lives. Its not just us doctors, we couldnt function without the paramedics, nurses, allied health, radiology or the pilots who get the patients to us within the "golden hour".

William loves flying and being able to do what you love while helping save a life is a priceless feeling.

So he will not be " just a pilot" or "just flying the chopper" , he, like the rest of his team will be saving lives.
Thank you! Exactly!

Without the pilots, the doctors or nurses or medics aren't going to get to the patients, or get the patients out. The pilot's job is just as important as the doctors and paramedics, if not more so. Let's leave the pilots alone and let them fly, don't distract them with medical stuff. Horses for courses.

I agree that there are many other thing William can and is assisting The Queen with, but it's just strange and odd that he haven't participated in a garden party for many years. If Catherine, Harry, Charles and Camilla and other royal can attend, so can William. Perhaps he'll try attending this year, but I just find is all odd and odd that it's never been addressed.
I doubt there is any question about if he can attend but rather whether he should. I would assume the queen is very much involved in Prince William's training so if she does not consider it a high priority, any discussion here that he should attend is rather presumptious.

Wow, just wow

I'm trying to think of other members of the BRF-let along heirs in the line of succession-who actively worked to literally save people's lives, besides those who were soldiers. I commend Prince William for the fine work he's doing. This is a very high calling IMO.:flowers:

I agree, in his role with the Air Ambulance, William is just serving the British public in a slightly different way than other members of the RF. I am glad he has chosen to do so, and utilising his flying skills at the same time.

Yes. :flowers: Princess Mary, later the Princess Royal, did some nursing during WWI, I believe. Then there was Princess Elizabeth and her ATS training during WWII. I suppose all the men took military training of some kind and served as long as they were able and needed, although the Duke of Gloucester is an architect by training.

Princess Alexandra undertook a nursing course at Great Ormond St. BUt gave it up when HMQ needed support with royal duties.

I agree, in his role with the Air Ambulance, William is just serving the British public in a slightly different way than other members of the RF. I am glad he has chosen to do so, and utilising his flying skills at the same time.

I think most of the British citizens are proud that P William is brilliantly serving his countrymen by using his skills. I know when I was in England last September, people spoke highly of his role in the family so far. Whatever he does [or not do] I am sure is run past the Queen and his father. I don't believe that P William would ever knowingly insult either by not doing something they thought was essential to his position.

May I express my opinion? I think it si great that William is proud of Kate as a mother and of his children (as any family man should be), but I am tired of still hearing the queen is "active" and that he hopes to keep on doing what he likes for a long time... Please, stop.

May I express my opinion? I think it si great that William is proud of Kate as a mother and of his children (as any family man should be), but I am tired of still hearing the queen is "active" and that he hopes to keep on doing what he likes for a long time... Please, stop.

Well, she is active, but he knows he can only do his job for a few years. Obviously, he would like to do it for a very long time, but that's not likely to happen. With her turning 90 next year (God's willing) things are going to get more interesting down the road. He knows that and have expressed it.

I'm excited for him on this new job and it's very touching to hear William talk about his family and the wonderful job Catherine is doing. The man has done very well for himself.

Last edited:
General News and Information for the Duke of Cambridge

He doesn't say that he wants to do what he likes for a long time. He said the Queen is active and shows great leadership. Then talks about his father.

What is he suppose to say -I hope Granny and Pa die soon so I can be King.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-Kate-and-little-joy-of-heaven-Charlotte.html

Well, she is active, but he knows he can only do his job for a few years. Obviously, he would like to do it for a very long time, but that's not likely to happen. With her turning 90 next year (God's willing) things are going to get more interesting down the road. He knows that and have expressed it.

I'm excited for him on this new job and it's very touching to hear William talk about his family and the wonderful job Catherine is doing. The man has done very well for himself.

What I mean it that he gives me the impression of not realizing yet that things could change very fast when a monarch is old... And I really believe if William keeps thinking his granny is eternal he will have a very tough awakening when the times of becoming the heir comes... I am sorry to say this but this is my view and I 've hold it for years now: I am not sure William is fully convinced of becoming King...:ermm:

I think William is very much a realist and knows and understands how quickly life can change in a blink of an eye. He's witnessed that at a young age when he lost his mother overnight. I think, like the rest of us, William is very enamored of his grandmother and grandfather and its from them he's learned the meaning of heartfelt duty and service and fully sees that they're still on the go, active and doing what they do best. He's also seen in the past couple of years that age can and does affect people and health problems crop up when least expected. William is a man that has grown up with quite a few role models in the "how to be royal" department yet on the other hand, with Kate and the Middletons, he's found out just how to have a happy, normal family life with wife and kids and a dog to come home to where Daddy goes off to work and can come home to a loving home and family.

Yes, he realizes that in a blink of an eye his life may change from an air ambulance co-pilot to being the heir to the throne and full time royal duties perhaps even as The Prince of Wales but that loving home and family will always be there no matter what.

If anyone knows how fast things can change it's William. It's silly to think he isn't aware of the state of his grandparents. He's giving the standard correct answers to the media...he's not going to do some sort of panorama interview like his mother (or his father) did.

LaRae

I think William is very much a realist and knows and understands how quickly life can change in a blink of an eye. He's witnessed that at a young age when he lost his mother overnight. I think, like the rest of us, William is very enamored of his grandmother and grandfather and its from them he's learned the meaning of heartfelt duty and service and fully sees that they're still on the go, active and doing what they do best. He's also seen in the past couple of years that age can and does affect people and health problems crop up when least expected. William is a man that has grown up with quite a few role models in the "how to be royal" department yet on the other hand, with Kate and the Middletons, he's found out just how to have a happy, normal family life with wife and kids and a dog to come home to where Daddy goes off to work and can come home to a loving home and family.

Yes, he realizes that in a blink of an eye his life may change from an air ambulance co-pilot to being the heir to the throne and full time royal duties perhaps even as The Prince of Wales but that loving home and family will always be there no matter what.
I agree. He expresses that he would love to do this "as long as he can juggle it" so he is well aware of having to make that change sooner or later. But I think one thing he has learnt by losing his mother at such a young age is to take the chance when you got it. He can fly now, if it is for 6 months or 8 years is nothing he will know now, but he knows that he can do it now and he has found a way to keep himself grounded and I admire that.

If anyone knows how fast things can change it's William. It's silly to think he isn't aware of the state of his grandparents. He's giving the standard correct answers to the media...he's not going to do some sort of panorama interview like his mother (or his father) did.

LaRae
I agree. It is the positive tone interview. What would happen if he said stuff like "when the queen dies". People would start speculating HARD on her health and such. He mildly "not answers" the question if he is jelaous of the others who will be able to continue the career, probably because he is, but that doesn't mean he won't fullfill his commitment well when it comes. Wasn't it the queens father that fell on the floor crying when he learnt that he would have to be king?

Very nice well done summery of the situation. Let's not forget, william will be king when his father dies, not his grandmother.

This is now being discussed in the General News and Information thread, but I post it here.

Video: Prince William hints at third child as he speaks of his pride at wife Kate and 'little joy of heaven' Charlotte - Telegraph

"There’s nothing to say I couldn’t do it for the rest of my life. I might be able to, and still balance the two. But obviously at some point there is probably going to be a lot more pressure and responsibility from the other side of my life.

"At the moment I’m juggling the two of them, and a young family. I’m enjoying it, and I like the challenge, but yes, inevitably down the line, things will probably become a little bit more difficult for me to do that. But while I’m still relatively young, I can manage the two jobs as best I can.

“The term, ‘full-time royal role’ is bandied around quite a lot, and no-one actually really knows what that means, but I think I can still manage to do my commitments and my responsibilities as well as I can.

"The Queen is still very active and is still showing incredible leadership. My father is doing many, many engagements, as are the rest of the family, and so there’s a lot being done by the Royal family around the country. I hope to still be a part of that, and do as much as I can, but equally do something which I think is incredibly important and [will] prove me in good stead for the future.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xNvdE8zl5U

That's right. Charles is next up to bat, not William. Being the heir to the heir gives William many more options.

About the Queen, lets remember her mother made a visit to Canada at 91 and Prince Philip came to Canada at 91 or 92. Rather than pushing the Queen off the throne and telling her what's best we should look on in awe. The Queen can be active for another decade.

William knows what he's doing.

Last edited:
I fully expect them to have at least one more child but it would not surprise me at all if they have a total of 4 in the end.

LaRae

I fully expect them to have at least one more child but it would not surprise me at all if they have a total of 4 in the end.

LaRae

I agree. I can easily imagine them with a total of four children by the time they're 40 years old.

I think they want a big family, and I'm sure the Duchess will forget about hyperemesis gravidarum the moment she sees her newborn baby for the first time.

LaRae

I feel the same way. They have the means to do that, and I hope that they do. William and Catherine enjoy being parents, it's plain to see, and they're happy. I say, many blessings.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

He can't be trying to live his life with the idea that he can't do anything because someday he will be on the throne. He has to live his life accomplishing life goals with the knowledge that he will have to take on the role of POW then King. Someday. But not now. So live.

General News and Information for the Duke of Cambridge

The last seven posts are excellent! Yes, William is not up next, so he doesn't have to worry about juggling careers just yet, however, he is realistic, and is aware that his circumstances could change in a matter of minutes. He takes a healthy approach to his situation, and makes the best of it. I love how he talks about his wife and children. Such devotion is touching, and it's easy to tell he's sincere. He wanted a chance to have a family, and now that he has it, he'll make sure they come first, I have no doubt.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom