Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate should be entitled to start a family and raise her children in the manner she and William see fit.
When Camilla married Charles she had no other obligations than becoming a working royal. Kate has a young family at home.

Millions of women have young families at home...and they have much greater responsibilities than Kate Cambridge.

Anyway, this thread is about William. I see he did something today.

:previous: Well said. the main reason given by the R Household for not publishing data on royal engagements is that it is turned into a league table/ competition which is wrong.

And that list does not reflect all the work done. A good example is HMQ. Travels less, does fewer engagements "out and about" but at the weekend has the largest red box of the week which holds more detailed papers, usually requiiring response/signature. We dont see any of that.
:previous:Thank you for sharing that example. AFAIK none of us see what happens during the meetings, briefings and planning sessions. The less glamorous and private side of the royal family's duties are still important IMO.

I like that the Firm is choosing to have William participate in these State Visits. He has the opportunity to learn from the best when teamed with his grandmother.

Thank you for sharing the link Rudolph. I have a better understanding of the service's work and how vital it would be for those areas where ground transportation would not be feasible.

The idea, suddenly, that Charles can't afford for Will and Kate to take on royal duties really flies in the face of the September, 2013 statement on what Will is to do next:

Press release

I don't believe this is the reason. I think the reason is that Will stomped his foot at the idea of becoming a full time royal.
It certainly does seem more than a little contradictory.

:previous:Thank you for sharing that example. AFAIK none of us see what happens during the meetings, briefings and planning sessions. The less glamorous and private side of the royal family's duties are still important IMO.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the preparation time for most of their engagements is working 2:1.

East Anglian Air Ambulance wins award for Rescue Services Charity of the Year - Charity Today TV
How much are any of you willing to bet that this award reflects an interest not previously shown and is direct result of Prince William's involvement in EAAA?

How much are any of you willing to bet that this award reflects an interest not previously shown and is direct result of Prince William's involvement in EAAA?

I would be willing to bet my last ginger cookie that the award has absolutely nothing to do with William's involvement in it.

Wills really hasn't even started active duty with EAAA yet and I don't think awards are awarded just because someone well known shows an interest in or joins the ranks of a charitable organization. I'm siding with those that think there is something above and beyond the ordinary in how EAAA functions for the community.

Millions of women have young families at home...and they have much greater responsibilities than Kate Cambridge.

He doesn't have to answer to anyone here and the only one he has to please is the Queen his grandmother and maybe his father the Prince of Wales, the heir.

I don't think William really cares about anyone here and he shouldn't for he lives his life and some here live their lives through what royals do.

Last edited by a moderator:
. . . . . Wills really hasn't even started active duty with EAAA yet and I don't think awards are awarded just because someone well known shows an interest in or joins the ranks of a charitable organization. I'm siding with those that think there is something above and beyond the ordinary in how EAAA functions for the community.
I absolutely agree. I was not tying the award to William per se, but rather that in the months since his future job was announced I thought a lot of people probably went on line to see what it was all about.

The funds coming from those with a genuine interest in a really deserving cause can never be underestimated, just as EAAA probably didn't realise how much their profile has been raised by the royal connection. They have been the recipient of some really terrific articles about their mission, etc. which has, in turn, generated the kind of publicity you just can't buy.

There are now a whole lot more people that know what EAAA does whose initial interest was sparked by Williams future career goals. It not all about William, merely that his future plans shone a light and many people discovered a really deserving charity right there on their own back yard.

Exactly so. :sad: I wish we were back several decades when women could choose to stay home and in doing so not compromise their family's financial solvency. It's a societal change that is unpleasant imo.

I have to admit to being puzzled by the 'new' argument that William cannot do more events because of financial constraints with Charles' cash flow. :ermm: First I've heard of that for any royal family, but maybe that's because I'm not that well-versed in these matters.

IMO one big difference is the number of actual working members in the BRF and other royal houses. Spain, The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, Monaco, Norway, Sweden and Denmark have many family members but only a few are truly "full time working members." Monarch/consort, heir/spouse, monarch's siblings/adult children etc..might be a small number which is actually funded to be the nation's representatives. The UK has the largest number of full time working royals. The Prince of Wales is funded by the Duchy of Cornwall. The Duchy is paying to fund two full time royals and three part-time royals. William and Harry have or will have other jobs as well.

And when William and Catherine do something such as an overseas visit, the media is there to focus on the costs.

I would not have had a problem if William had elected to keep his salary.

[/B][/I][/U]
He doesn't have to answer to anyone here and the only one he has to please is the Queen his grandmother and maybe his father the Prince of Wales, the heir.

I don't think William really cares about anyone here and he shouldn't for he lives his life and some here live their lives through what royals do.

Pretty much everyone has the same thing William has, except they've earned it rather than having it as an accident of birth. Some have more that he has...

And yes, I do enjoy visiting the forums and giving a kudos when some of them does something (anything, really) and a criticism when they don't.

William and Catherine satisfied all the media last night and the royal watchers, they did their job and I think it was great seeing them again. Now Catherine needs to take great care for that beautiful bundle of joy she is caring, that should be the most important thing for her to do now, let the rest of the royal family get out there and do the job that needs to be done.

Now we wait till she is out again.................:flowers:

Is William likely to retire from flying in 3 years time, as long as the Queen is still alive? I can imagine him still flying in, say, 10 years time, even if she is 98 and he is over 40. I expect a long wait before he becomes a full time royal, unfortunately.

Is William likely to retire from flying in 3 years time, as long as the Queen is still alive? I can imagine him still flying in, say, 10 years time, even if she is 98 and he is over 40. I expect a long wait before he becomes a full time royal, unfortunately.

I really don't think William will continue on with a full-time career in flying if/when The Queen turns 90. I think he and Catherine will go full-time when that happens.

The Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles & Responsib...

If the Queen is 98, there is probably a regency in place by then. As soon as there is a regency or the Queen dies, the Cambridges will have to go full time.

He signed a contract for 2 years for the ambulance pilot job. It may have an out if the Queen dies in those 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I don't see any reason for William and Kate to go full time until Charles is King. Unless the Queen has some sort of medical situation where she is no longer able to go into public.

LaRae

Rudolph that is an excellent blog commentary.

LaRae

I really do think William & Catherine will make the switch over to full-time royal duties in a the next couple of years. I really don't think they will leave it up to The Queen to request it or ask them to do so. I think with Her Majesty and Prince Philip aging, they will take it upon themselves to help out more.

What do you mean they won't leave it up to the Queen...of course they will! Grannie or not...she is still very much in charge and making decisions. If she wanted them working more they'd be doing it.

LaRae

What do you mean they won't leave it up to the Queen...of course they will! Grannie or not...she is still very much in charge and making decisions. If she wanted them working more they'd be doing it.

LaRae

When I say that, I mean that I think they will just make the decision to go full-time and support The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh. I think The Queen leave the decision up to members of the royal family. It shouldn't take an illness or death for William & Catherine to step up their royal duties. With The Queen approaching 90 and the Duke of Edinburgh approaching his mid 90's, William & Catherine should take their ages into consideration and be willing to go full-time. At some point people will have to stop treating the Cambridge's with kid gloves and expect them to do more.

This is what I think too. With the Queen, she may ask or invite but it usually is interpreted as a royal command. When it comes to the Firm, I don't think anyone tells the Queen "no" or "I've got other plans". It just isn't done.

When I say that, I mean that I think they will just make the decision to go full-time and support The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh. I think The Queen leave the decision up to members of the royal family. It shouldn't take an illness or death for William & Catherine to step up their royal duties. With The Queen approaching 90 and the Duke of Edinburgh approaching his mid 90's, William & Catherine should take their ages into consideration and be willing to go full-time. At some point people will have to stop treating the Cambridge's with kid gloves and expect them to do more.

Who says they aren't willing to step up?? You miss the point that they CAN'T until the Queen asks them to.

The Queen is very much in charge, I can't imagine why you'd think she isn't.

LaRae

Who says they aren't willing to step up?? You miss the point that they CAN'T until the Queen asks them to.

LaRae

She most definitely is and I'm sure she keeps right on top of everything that concerns the monarchy and the Firm and all those that are involved in and around it.

We've all heard of The Way Ahead committee. They meet twice a year and consists of members of the royal family and their top advisers. I'm sure at these meetings they toss out what ifs and generally get each person's ideas and perspectives and by the end of the meeting, they pretty much have it all planned out how its going to be. Sometimes with plans far reaching into the future.

It is not because William and Kate do not wish to be full time working royals for the Firm at this time or even pull more engagements or take on more charities and patronages, it is because it has been decided that they are not needed this time at a higher level.

LaRae

All I'm seeing is same excuses made over and over again for William.

Blushing, thank you
I haven't always agreed with you, but this time you hit a home run.:)

She most definitely is and I'm sure she keeps right on top of everything that concerns the monarchy and the Firm and all those that are involved in and around it.

We've all heard of The Way Ahead committee. They meet twice a year and consists of members of the royal family and their top advisers. I'm sure at these meetings they toss out what ifs and generally get each person's ideas and perspectives and by the end of the meeting, they pretty much have it all planned out how its going to be. Sometimes with plans far reaching into the future.

It is not because William and Kate do not wish to be full time working royals for the Firm at this time or even pull more engagements or take on more charities and patronages, it is because it has been decided that they are not needed this time at a higher level.

I agree. HM is the head of the Firm and although I do believe she listens to her top advisers (DoE and children) that the final decision is hers to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom