Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The lengthy digression concerning the square footage allocated to William at KP and associated posts unrelated to the topic of "What Now for William?" have been moved over to the Cambridge Residences thread in the British Royal Residences subforum.

I think if William and Kate had moved straight to Norfolk from Wales and he had simply switched flying roles, there would have been little room for any criticism towards them as long as they had kept up some royal duties alongside this too. I certainly would have never accused him of being workshy while he was in Wales, but the last year has been one of conflicting messages about the future royal role of the couple. The number of their engagements is embarrassingly low, a few people on this thread have said this ok as he is only second in line, but Princess Anne is 11th in line and twice the age of the Cambridges, yet carried out around 600 engagements in 2012.

Last edited:
I think if William and Kate had moved straight to Norfolk from Wales and he had simply switched flying roles, there would have been little room for any criticism towards them as long as they had kept up some royal duties alongside this too. I certainly would have never accused him of being workshy while he was in Wales, but the last year has been one of conflicting messages about the future royal role of the couple. The number of their engagements is embarrassingly low, a few people on this thread have said this ok as he is only second in line, but Princess Anne is 11th in line and twice the age of the Cambridges, yet carried out around 600 engagements last year.

But she is a child of the monarch, and has been a full time working royal for her entire adult life.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

:previous:And it's still her mother's reign. If her mother wants her children and cousin's on the forefront and her grandchildren behind them, it's her call.

I think if William and Kate had moved straight to Norfolk from Wales and he had simply switched flying roles, there would have been little room for any criticism towards them as long as they had kept up some royal duties alongside this too.
I've thought this too. They may have known of an impending retirement or additional need for a pilot? Also, I think there is a leaker inside the Cambridge air rescue service that's mucking all this up. Pure speculation on my part, I freely admit. :whistling:

I've thought this too. They may have known of an impending retirement or additional need for a pilot? Also, I think there is a leaker inside the Cambridge air rescue service that's mucking all this up. Pure speculation on my part, I freely admit. :whistling:

In order to do this new job he needs a commercial licence so he couldn't have gone automatically from one job to another. He also would need to gain proficiency in a different helicopter.

But I agree that this year has caused problems.

The criticisms come from "royal reporters" desperate to have the Cambridges front and centre selling papers and garnering clicks online

If the heir to the throne and his wife were as popular as they should be none of this would even be an issue.

The Telegraph newspaper has strong support for the BRF and the monarchy. In their royal section all senior royals have a dedicated section except Camilla.

The Queen
The Duke of Edinburgh
The Prince of Wales
Prince William
The Duchess of Cambridge
Prince George
Prince Harry

No Duchess of Cornwall

The British tabloids are starting to cover the continental royals now as the younger generations take their respective thrones.

For the British papers, they want the Cambridges to be the standard bearers for the BRF whether William is heir or not because having an OAP and his wife as heir isn't exactly glamorous so the onus falls on William and Catherine.

Last edited:
Rudolph;1687838 .... because having an OAP and his wife as heir isn't exactly glamorous so the onus falls on William and Catherine.[/QUOTE said:
Thanks for the chuckle - I had to look up OAP! :lol: Isn't it odd that having an older monarch is stabilizing but having an OAP heir is dull? But it's true. And I never noticed the Camilla/Telegraph thing. Time to move on. Sorry - off topic.

I heard Will has plans on openin' up a pub called Duke of Earl in Norfolk when he and the wife and son settle on in. With all those new cookin' skills Kate will whip up fish and chips and bangers and mash for the patrons.

I think some people are questioning why two 32 year olds are not/rarely working.

George will be a year old later this week. They have the full time nanny, a cook and a housekeeper and the London townhome has been remodeled.

Why are they not working?

The image that is coming across is an entitled, lazy man

William and Harry play a sport each week. One week, it is football, another week it is polo, another week rugby and still another week it is cricket. It might be for charity but would William still support these charities if he permanently injured himself that he could never play again?
Or would he dump his charities like his mother?

The weekly sport related matched against Harry come across as two spoiled children competing against each other. It looks like he and his brother want to be the center of attention and the charity is just the excuse for playing while getting credit for 'working'.

Unfortunately for William, Harry comes across as actually caring about his charities. William comes across as just a competitive person wanting the attention.

Rudolph,
If the media wanted pictures of William & Harry all they have to do is go to one of these weekly games. There is no need for William to be POW.

The tabloids that want the popular want Kate and George and wouldn't care less about William as a separate entity.

On a website listing the most popular based on internet searches, Kate is 7th and William ranks 1821st.

The reason for the complaints by the sites you listed is because unless William is higher profile then the prize (Kate & George) will remain in the background. Nothing to do with Charles and Camilla.

William has worked, if he could I'm sure he'd still be working. Why is it so difficult for people to grasp that William is not lazy just because he put more emphasis on the RAF than his royal work; IMO his piloting career is more important. I don't know how long he hasn't been doing that job but it hasn't been long enough to start criticizing him for not being a hard worker.
William could do more, Kate definitely could do more but their age comes second to precedence. They are not the CPs!!!! They are not Charles, Frederik and Mary, Letizia and Felipe! He is the heirs heir and is probably taking into consideration that his father has been sitting around waiting to be King for decade after decade. There is no desperate need to push him into the full time job when he could have decades of waiting just like his dad. Let him be a productive member of society and save some lives.

Yes! I am happy that he works at all. I think it is great that he works as a pilot, keep it up! I don't begrudge the man working a 'normal' job, just as long as he does something. If he feels like he is not needed yet by the Firm then go get another job. This shows everyone that although he is not needed as a full time royal, he can still be a productive member of society.
At least he isn't afraid of real work.....

I'm sorry to say that I do consider his piloting job as the real work at least when it comes to William and Harry. I don't believe Charles had a job other than POW and for him all the good he does is an admirable career path. But for his sons I think their military careers are a sign that they are dedicated individuals who work hard. I wish the palace would possibly make a statement that W H n K are not yet needed for full time duty and as a result will remain part time. Perhaps that will shut some people up about their royal careers.

Charles spent about 7 years in the military and had he had his way would have spent longer so he did have a 'real job'.

I suspect this helicopter job will be until the current reign ends. Then the helicopter job will have to end when his father reign begins. I suppose its better than differing.

I think if William and Kate had moved straight to Norfolk from Wales and he had simply switched flying roles, there would have been little room for any criticism towards them as long as they had kept up some royal duties alongside this too. I certainly would have never accused him of being workshy while he was in Wales, but the last year has been one of conflicting messages about the future royal role of the couple. The number of their engagements is embarrassingly low, a few people on this thread have said this ok as he is only second in line, but Princess Anne is 11th in line and twice the age of the Cambridges, yet carried out around 600 engagements in 2012.

Yes, Anne does a lot of engagements (she did 560 in 2012 and 454 in 2013) , but I'm pretty sure she didn't start out doing that many. I imagine it was a gradual thing.

It's strange that William is called lazy and workshy. It's like people forget that he had a full-time job for years. I just don't see how one year invalidates his many years of service.

So far this year, he's done 91 engagements (Kate 66 and Harry 55). People may think he's not doing enough, but right now his numbers are not that far off from Camilla's (who's done 141).

I'm curious to know what type of numbers people think the Cambridge's should do. Should they replicate the numbers Charles put up? Do 300 or so like Andrew and Edward, or are the 200's that Camilla and Sophie do okay?

Last edited:
William has been allowed to do more official engagements since leaving the SAR job. He wasn't really able to pay more attention to his charities and royal commitments while working his full-time job.

Why go back to working a full-time job that will cause you to decrease those royal and charitable commitments again? Why not work a side job part-time and continue focusing on the royal duties.

It's not just about wanting the Cambridge's on the front cover of the newspapers and magazine, it's about two people who need to be seen doing their part within the "Firm." They have everything setup for them to do their thing, now it's about doing it.

I'm sorry to say that I do consider his piloting job as the real work at least when it comes to William and Harry. I don't believe Charles had a job other than POW and for him all the good he does is an admirable career path. But for his sons I think their military careers are a sign that they are dedicated individuals who work hard. I wish the palace would possibly make a statement that W H n K are not yet needed for full time duty and as a result will remain part time. Perhaps that will shut some people up about their royal careers.

The Prince of Wales had an impressive and much more varied military career than both his sons. He obtained a pilot license and RAF-wings in the Air Force. The Prince joined the Naval College in a graduate scheme. The Prince also obtained a helicopter pilot license. Tho complete it all the Prince obtained a parachute license as well. The active military service went from March 1971 until December 1976 and covered all three armed forces. The Prince was then added into the Reserve and became a "full time royal".

It's not just about wanting the Cambridge's on the front cover of the newspapers and magazine, it's about two people who need to be seen doing their part within the "Firm." They have everything setup for them to do their thing, now it's about doing it.

This will happen if and when HM and the "Firm" deem this statement to be true. It really isn't solely up to William to decide. I have yet to see any indication from BP, CH or KP that being a full time working royal is even in the cards at all yet.

Oh so after a brief pause, he's off back to flying to be a hands on dad. That foreign office work obviously isn't going to happen then. What a PR disaster.

William has been allowed to do more official engagements since leaving the SAR job. He wasn't really able to pay more attention to his charities and royal commitments while working his full-time job.

Why go back to working a full-time job that will cause you to decrease those royal and charitable commitments again? Why not work a side job part-time and continue focusing on the royal duties.

While I have been singing the same song all along I think that if he does some work any work, then I can live with that. It still galls me that this is seen as a right of his and his wife to wait. I feel if they really wanted to be more involved in the Firm, they would be. Wills has already proved he has lots of leeway with his grandmother, but it appears W&C want a 'normal' life. Well they are not normal and public opinion is important to the BRF and public opinion is that they should work! Read & talk to people who are not in this forum! Unfortunately out-of-sight-out-of-mind can make people start to question if they are really needed or the new gen should be the end of the BRF altogether.

The funny thing is that, in relation to William's future plans, there is absolutely no "real" news in the public domain, just speculation, and debate on the speculation!

He certainly appears to have stepped up the number of public engagements he is carrying out. Might this indicate that he increasing his focus on his royal role and ramping up the work he is doing, or could these have been engagements planned a while ago?

We have absolutely no idea as to whether he genuinely proposes to spend the majority of his time flying, or this is just something certain sections of the press have decided to run with, irrespective of whether it is true or not. Personally, I would find it odd if he did spent a material amount of time flying now, as to me, the retirement from the SARS role was all about transitioning to a more royal role.

There seems to be a level of resentment in certain sections of the media of the Cambridge couple acquiring Anmer. To me this is completely unjustified, as it belongs to his grandmother and he is perfectly entitled to having it.

Last edited:
Yes, Anne does a lot of engagements (she did 560 in 2012 and 454 in 2013) , but I'm pretty sure she didn't start out doing that many. I imagine it was a gradual thing.

It's strange that William is called lazy and workshy. It's like people forget that he had a full-time job for years. I just don't see how one year invalidates his many years of service.

So far this year, he's done 91 engagements (Kate 66 and Harry 55). People may think he's not doing enough, but right now his numbers are not that far off from Camilla's (who's done 141).

I'm curious to know what type of numbers people think the Cambridge's should do. Should they replicate the numbers Charles put up? Do 300 or so like Andrew and Edward, or are the 200's that Camilla and Sophie do okay?

Good post!!

What?!?! He's 50 behind Camilla! Wonder how long it will take him to catch up with the 67 year old Camilla. He's looking like a real lightweight.

What?!?! He's 50 behind Camilla! Wonder how long it will take him to catch up with the 67 year old Camilla. He's looking like a real lightweight.

Only if she stops, and she isnt.

This will happen if and when HM and the "Firm" deem this statement to be true. It really isn't solely up to William to decide. I have yet to see any indication from BP, CH or KP that being a full time working royal is even in the cards at all yet.

I have seen evidence that there's a need for the Cambridge's to do more and be more involved within the "Firm."

I have seen evidence that there's a need for the Cambridge's to do more and be more involved within the "Firm."

What evidence have you seen?

Only if she stops, and she isnt.

Cams has been married to Charles for 10 years and will be the next "princess consort" (her words not mine) and to date she has done about 150 engagements?

This puts her in like what, 8th place overall

She must be the most irrelevant Princess of Wales in history.

If C&C were as popular as they should be there would be no need for the BRF to have to put the grandchildren front and centre....

What evidence have you seen?

I've seen William & Catherine starting to take part in State Events like attending the Royal Reception for the Diplomatic Corps at Buckingham Palace, William has taken on role of carrying out Investitures on behalf of The Queen. William representing The Queen during the South Korean State Visit late last year and he and Catherine may start attending the actual State Banquets. Their official oversea tours are longer and Catherine is about to embark on her first solo trip to Malta on The Queen's behalf.

The Cambridge's are allowed to do more now because they are no longer held up by a full-time military life. They could have hired a new part-time nanny for Prince George but they've now hired a full-time nanny, they have an Equerry and they've moved their official court from St. James's Palace to Kensington Palace. They have setup their life and court to be able to take on more duties.

It makes no sense whatsoever to now retreat and take on a full-time job that would cause them decrease their official duties, charitable ventures and participation in royal events. William himself have expressed that his full-time job was causing him to neglect his royal life and it wasn't easy to balance things out properly.

Someone made a comparison between 67 yr old Camilla and 32 yr old William. Her annual figures are around 250 a yr. William did 62 in 2013 but he was f/t SAR pilot up to September. This yr he has done 95 so far.

its comparing apples and oranges

What does age have to do with anything? How many engagements did the Queen do at 67?

People go on about William as if there is some sort of precedent for someone in his position but there isn't.

There is a major precedent for the role of Princess of Wales.

Between members of "team Harry" and "team Camilla" William can seem to catch a break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom